Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tschram72 View Post
    Hey all, I just called my LBS and asked them if they knew when my 7 was showing up. They came back with Nov 2nd! Anyone else have some better intel on this? This will be my first fatbike and I am super stoked to ride the crap out of this thing!
    Nah, I have a 7 coming too and have no idea when it will actually arrive, especially since a few 7's have already trickled in. The upside (or downside) is that it's going on layaway till March, so it really don't matter when it get's there.
    Driving me nuts.

mtbr member
    Well, thanks to the info on this board and some good info on this thread I pulled the trigger and ordered my first fatbike today

Plopped down a big stack of $100 bills on a 2016 Trek Farley 9.6 and was told October 18th..... dam

Anyway... its not snowing yet and I dont really have a need for it till does. So hopefully winter waits for another month

Side note....

Anyone with a Farley 7 interested in some 27.5 wheels in exchange for aome 26s? (Preferably in CA or Reno/tahoe)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm torn. I've got $200 down on a Farley 7. The more I think I'd like the 9.6 carbon and weight savings. However I'd prefer the 26x5 tire/wheel combination the 7 offers for Michigan. Idk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I say pfftt! to the carbon frame. 7 is dialed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Schafer View Post
    I'm torn. I've got $200 down on a Farley 7. The more I think I'd like the 9.6 carbon and weight savings. However I'd prefer the 26x5 tire/wheel combination the 7 offers for Michigan. Idk

Second set of hoops will cure all your ill's.

mtbr member
    Rob...

I went through the exact same thing

I went 9.6 and figured I can trade the wheels if I need to be fatter

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just got the call I have been waiting for, the 9.8 is at the shop being assembled. Guess I will be making a trip in the morning. Getting excited.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well shoot, I hate you also.

But, I ordered a bluto. It's a race too see what gets here first. It, or the Farley.

And, I have a dropper post waiting to go on also. I'll post up the weight of the bike in three forms. Stock out of the box. Stock, minus reflectors and set up tubeless, and then with bluto and reverb.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    [QUOTE=DukeNeverwinter;12188832]Well shoot, I hate you also.

I felt the same way after all these guys were getting theirs. Really interested to see what you find with the weights.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is exactly my quandary right now. Doing my research, I came to the conclusion than the 27.5x4 is going to be better than the 26x4 and that most of my riding is going to be groomed or hard packed snow and very little of fresh snow so the 26x5 is going to be marginally better. I'd rather have the lighter bike and the tires that are easier to spin up. Too, the extra set of wheels is the downside risk if I'm wrong and that would be fun to have anyhow.

The only issue for me is that there is not a studded 27.5x4 tire out so I'll have to stud the tires that come on the bike. Not a huge deal, but still not optimal.

Since I'm going to be riding this predominantly in the winter and on either a beach or snow trails, I don't need or want a suspension fork. The 9.6 is the bike that best fits my needs, I think plus it's nice to be able to go back to the 26x5 wheels/tires if need be. All in all, a pretty versatile set up.

Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Photo View Post
    Rob...

Exactly right. An extra set of wheels solves the problem if you get it wrong. Then you still have a lighter bike and better components.

J.

mtbr member
    Go with the 26x5. I'm in MI with a Farley8. The 4" tires is fine for groomed but you will want to venture off into areas that aren't. Plenty of frozen water to explore and you will want some studded tires.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Go with the 26x5. I'm in MI with a Farley8. The 4" tires is fine for groomed but you will want to venture off into areas that aren't. Plenty of frozen water to explore and you will want some studded tires.
    a 27.5x4 will have a larger contact area than a 26x4 and should be better in looser stuff.

Anyone know how much larger the contact patch is?

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    a 27.5x4 will have a larger contact area than a 26x4 and should be better in looser stuff.

J.
    4" is 4" no matter how you measure it. If anything the 26 could equal more with the added squish. I ride mine all year so I'm happy with the 4" tire but I do wish I could run a 5" in the winter
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    When I picked my Farley up this morning I could believe the clearance it had in the rear with the 27.5x4. Not that I would buy another set of tires but how wide of a tire could be ran on the new Farleys.

Today was full of ups and downs. Pick the bike up this morning and rode it around the parking lot, then on the way home it was raining so hard I had to pull over so new bike got a good bath. By the time I got home, besides being super wet, had enough time to get dressed and head to work. Maybe tomorrow I will get to go for a spin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    4" is 4" no matter how you measure it. If anything the 26 could equal more with the added squish. I ride mine all year so I'm happy with the 4" tire but I do wish I could run a 5" in the winter
    The smaller side walls of the 27.5" tires are where they are also going to be limited in grip. What they gain with a slightly longer contact patch they will lose by not being able to run at low psi's as the rim will be more vulnerable to strikes. I ran as low as 3psi last winter when the snow was loose or deep on my 4.8" tires. Even if you could safely run that low of psi on the 27.5" tires they aren't going to have enough casing to spread very wide. I don't think that more contact patch is necessarily equal to more float as the longer 27.5" contact patch only adds to the front and back of the contact patch, but not the sides.

I really wish Trek would have given a 26" option on the carbon bikes. Would have given a bunch more tire options including studded, and made better use of the wider 197mm rear axle. I also wish they would have had a few color choices on the 9.6 as the current choice is a pretty girly scheme.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    The smaller side walls of the 27.5" tires are where they are also going to be limited in grip. What they gain with a slightly longer contact patch they will lose by not being able to run at low psi's as the rim will be more vulnerable to strikes. I ran as low as 3psi last winter when the snow was loose or deep on my 4.8" tires. Even if you could safely run that low of psi on the 27.5" tires they aren't going to have enough casing to spread very wide. I don't think that more contact patch is necessarily equal to more float as the longer 27.5" contact patch only adds to the front and back of the contact patch, but not the sides.

I really wish Trek would have given a 26" option on the carbon bikes. Would have given a bunch more tire options including studded, and made better use of the wider 197mm rear axle. I also wish they would have had a few color choices on the 9.6 as the current choice is a pretty girly scheme.

A girly scheme?!?!?!?!?!

Ya, I agree and wasn't thrilled about it, but it seemed like the best fit for my needs.

As for the larger patch thing. If the 27.5 was actually taller than the 26 then I could see them saying a "larger contact patch".... like they have on standard 27.5 vs 26 inch wheels. But since they are a very similar OD it is all hype and propaganda

I feel that they slacked out the head tube and made a new wheel size that will excel on dirt. I feel the new Farley is more of a XC bike that has some Fat bike qualities. This bike will dominate a standard fatty for the guys that are riding on dirt

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post

J.
    Dude - whatever the tiny difference is - you would never know it.
    The difference in feel will not be because of contact patch, but more likely sidewall height as someone else has pointed out.

4" is 4" no matter how you measure it.
    A larger diameter wheel will have a slightly larger contact patch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a 26x4 tire that measures closer to 3.5" on 65mm rims.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    A girly scheme?!?!?!?!?!

Ya, I agree and wasn't thrilled about it, but it seemed like the best fit for my needs.

As for the larger patch thing. If the 27.5 was actually taller than the 26 then I could see them saying a "larger contact patch".... like they have on standard 27.5 vs 26 inch wheels. But since they are a very similar OD it is all hype and propaganda

I feel that they slacked out the head tube and made a new wheel size that will excel on dirt. I feel the new Farley is more of a XC bike that has some Fat bike qualities. This bike will dominate a standard fatty for the guys that are riding on dirt
    The 9.6 looks to have a great frame and good components, but seriously the 27.5" wheels and pastel blue and green really turn me off. My daughter saw a pic of it on my tablet and said " Daddy you should get that bike it is sooo pretty". Umm no thanks.

Throw a Bluto on it though and it should be a nice trail bike. I think if I'm going to buy a "summer fatbike" though I'll get a full squish bucksaw.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The blue and green is just wrong.
    Blue is fine, but it clashes with that green. Light blue and orange red looks particularly nice - like the Gulf Porsche color scheme.

There's a Superfly with those colors. Stick with what works. This is Design 101 stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rob...

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Dude - whatever the tiny difference is - you would never know it.
    The difference in feel will not be because of contact patch, but more likely sidewall height as someone else has pointed out.

A larger diameter wheel will have a slightly larger contact patch.
    I would imagine that there is a benefit to the lower rotating weight. Would that not be true?

J.

mtbr member
    So, for the guys that have 27.5 bikes already....

Does it look like we can fit a 4.5 or 5.0 tire on the 27.5" wheel once they become available?

I would assume yes, but Trek says "will fit either 26x5 or 27.5x4"

You think that there would be room for a 5" tire on either wheel since they have the same overall diameter

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    A 27.5 x 5" tire, if true to size, will be huge, if such a thing ever comes to exist -which I wouldn't count on any time soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    A 27.5 x 5" tire, if true to size, will be huge, if such a thing ever comes to exist -which I wouldn't count on any time soon.
    Why would it be any bugger than a 26x5?

They have the same OD, not seeing why the overall width would be any different

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I think you're a bit confused as to the rim size, tire size and OD relationships. (or I'm misunderstanding you)
    Both the 27.5x4 and the 26x5 have almost identical outer diameters because the 4.7" tire on the smaller 26" wheel makes up the difference. Put a tire with that same profile in a 27.5 rim and I'm not sure it would fit.

mtbr member
    So the 3.8 (27.5) and the 4.8 (26) have a very similar width?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    No, similar (within 1-2mm) outer diameter.

mtbr member
    Ok... so we're on the same page there

I'm interested in getting a wider tire on the bike (once they become available)

Can someone with a 27 5 bike please post a photo showing how much room there is side to side, so we can see how much wider of a tire will fit. I'm guessing the 27 5x3.8 will be very narrow.

Also, how wide is te 27.5 tire on the OE wheels?

Master of the Obvious
    went ahead and pulled the trigger on The 7, this will be my first foray in the fat bike world. It will be primarily used for snowy single-track. Unfortunately I missed the first batch but should have it around Thanksgiving.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Can someone with a 27 5 bike please post a photo showing how much room there is side to side, so we can see how much wider of a tire will fit. I'm guessing the 27 5x3.8 will be very narrow.

After looking at a 9.8 today, I don't think the width will be the issue, but rather the height. To make the tire wider it will also have to get taller. The frame should fit a 5" (26") tire fine, but as Gambit21 is saying trying to make a 5" wide 27.5" tire will likely have too great of a sidewall height and therefore overall diameter to fit in the frame.

Here is a pic of a 29er, 29+ and 26" fatbike tires. Notice how much taller the 29+ is versus the 29er, despite both having the same rim diameter. Also not that the 29+ and 26" fatbike are very similar despite the fatbike having a smaller diameter rim, due to it's wider and larger diameter tire. 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-tyre-29er-plus-fat-bike-size.jpg

Here is a 4" fatbike tire compared to a 5+" fat tire, notice how much taller it gets for the added width:
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-image.jpg

Your hypothetical 27.5X5" fat tire would be bigger in diameter than the one pictured, hence I doubt it would fit in your frame.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    After looking at a 9.8 today, I don't think the width will be the issue, but rather the height. To make the tire wider it will also have to get taller. The frame should fit a 5" (26") tire fine, but as Gambit21 is saying trying to make a 5" wide 27.5" tire will likely have too great of a sidewall height and therefore overall diameter to fit in the frame.

Here is a pic of a 29er, 29+ and 26" fatbike tires. Notice how much taller the 29+ is versus the 29er, despite both having the same rim diameter. Also not that the 29+ and 26" fatbike are very similar despite the fatbike having a smaller diameter rim, due to it's wider and larger diameter tire. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyre-29er-plus-fat-bike-size.jpg 
Views:	1629 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	1014842

Here is a 4" fatbike tire compared to a 5+" fat tire, notice how much taller it gets for the added width:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6186 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	1014843

Your hypothetical 27.5X5" fat tire would be bigger in diameter than the one pictured, hence I doubt it would fit in your frame.
    Great explanation, thank you

I didn't realize that the 26x5 was taller and wider tan the 26x4, I thought it was just wider..... So I was thinking it would be a low pro 27.5x5 as well

On another note.... while I was at work today, I saw the Trek Demo rig pull in for our local Gran Fondo race tomorrow.... and they have a Farley 9.8 on board in my size

So... Demo ride tomorrow

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Here are some quick pics I took tonight. As you can see, the 29+ is just a little taller so I am sure the Farley can go bigger, just not sure how much. The other pics show the clearance with the 27.5x3.8 stock tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20150910_130306.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20150911_224948.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20150911_225014.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20150911_225028.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm also thinking about Farley with a second wheelset. Anyone know of any reason a clownshoe with lou wouldn't work with the Farley 7?
    Last edited by Teton29er; 09-13-2015 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member

Farley 9.8 Demo Ride

Well, I have my 9.6 on order but have still yet to throw a leg over a Fat Bike and give it a spin.

Luckly, yesterday I got that chance. Trek Was in town and had a Farley 9.8 Demo with them and said I could take it out for a s long as I wanted. While I had work at 3PM, it still gave me plenty time to kick my own ass on this amazing bike

I live in Mammoth Lakes, CA and we have an amazing set of local trails as well as lots of lift assisted runs ranging from XC all the way to some of the craziest DH trails you could imagine. My plan was to put this bike through its paces and ride a good mix of runs.

I started off in town and made my way up a 1000 foot climb that was about 6 miles of twists and turns. The surface was small crushed rock, pumice, and some loose sand. The stock 27.5x3.8 tires worked great and gave me plenty of traction without being so heavy that pedaling was hard. I was thoroughly impressed by how efficient this bike was for such a huge tire

The only time I really noticed I was on something with a heavier wheel/tire combo was when I would take those first few pedal strokes and had to spin them up. While the Farley 9.8 had carbon wheels, it was still a bit more than the 27.5x2.4 I run on my enduro bike.

Once I reached Main Lodge, I continued up a trail called Beach Cruiser and continued to climb a few hundred feet more. This trail had a lot more twists and turns in it and took me to the backside of the Mountain near one of our almost empty lakes

After a quick photo op, I continued the climb and reached the top of the Beach Cruiser Trail. As I began to descend this smooth flowing single track trail I was rally impressed how smooth this rigid bike was. I began to hit some of the small features like root drops, small jumps, and rock gardens a little faster and couldn't believe how well the bike worked.

Then I got cocky... "Well, if its this good here... might as well take it to the top of the mountain and ride something a bit more challenging"

I headed up to Off the Top, an intermediate run that is full of lots of rock, roots, small drops, and all sorts of other fun things.

The first half I was having a blast and charging on the Farley 9.8, but then I got tired. I didn't want to stand and all these jolting braking bumps and rocks really kicked my ass. I got tired, and I got there fast. By the end of the run I was dead tired and regretting my decision.

While I wanted to pack it in, there was one more climb I had to make to reach the trail home. So, up I went.

This trail was very loose, had some big rocks, and some other things that usually give me trouble on my 27.5 Enduro bike. But with this beast I just kicked it into low and powered up and over everything without issue.

All in all, I was super impressed with this bike and am excited to receive my 9.6 next month.

The 27.5 wheels worked great as a dirt tire but I feel they will be lacking once the snow falls and I need a larger contact patch. More than likely these wheels will be going on the shelf when the snow falls and some 26's will help drain my wallet

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That' one hell of a demo!!!

Curious now... Anyne try and fit a 27.5 x 3.8 setup on a Farley 6 or 8?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    After a lot of research, comparing, trying, tossing and turning pulled the trigger on Farley 9. Picking it up today. Hope I made the right choice.

Has anyone tried any of the nines with a 26 x 5 tire setup? Thinking of getting 5" for the winter months.

mtbr member
    Well, I just ordered a set of the DT swiss BR 26" wheels for my 9.6 that I don't have.

Im waiting to order tires until i see what others are able to fit in the new frame.

Also, im just trying to read a lot to figure out what tires work best for snow as this will be my dedicated snow tire setup

Anyone have a link to a snow tire shootout or something similar?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well, I just ordered a set of the DT swiss BR 26" wheels for my 9.6 that I don't have.

Im waiting to order tires until i see what others are able to fit in the new frame.

Also, im just trying to read a lot to figure out what tires work best for snow as this will be my dedicated snow tire setup

Anyone have a link to a snow tire shootout or something similar?
    Here is one I did one the Dillinger 5, Bud/Lou, and a bit on the Ground Controls: Bud/Lou versus Dillinger 5

I bought a set of studded Snowshoe XL's so I'll be testing those out this winter as well.

I looked at a Farley 9.8 the other day and it should fit the 4.8" Bud/Lou and Snowshoe XL's without issue. Not sure on the Snowshoe 2XL though as that is a big mutha!
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Took my new Farley 9 out for the first ride yesterday. I have to say that I really enjoyed the bike. The ride was a twenty mile spin on mixed terrain from tarmac to gravel to forest paths. The 27.5 Hodag tires worked out well on all the surfaces. I have to say that the tires were quite nice to ride even on tarmac. The tire pressure had been set up at the LBS and the tires were a bit on the hard side. The Bluto smoothed the front end nice, but rear tire was bouncing around quite a lot. Iíll start testing out different pressures today, but wondering what pressures are other Trek owners using on their Hodags?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFarleys View Post
    Took my new Farley 9 out for the first ride yesterday. I have to say that I really enjoyed the bike. The ride was a twenty mile spin on mixed terrain from tarmac to gravel to forest paths. The 27.5 Hodag tires worked out well on all the surfaces. I have to say that the tires were quite nice to ride even on tarmac. The tire pressure had been set up at the LBS and the tires were a bit on the hard side. The Bluto smoothed the front end nice, but rear tire was bouncing around quite a lot. Iíll start testing out different pressures today, but wondering what pressures are other Trek owners using on their Hodags?
    I weigh 240 and rode a rigid

I ended up playing with pressure a lot on my demo and ended up 8F and 9R

I went as low as 6 front and liked it in loose dirt but took a couple rim shots. It was also really bound up on asphalt.

Hope that gets you in the balpark

PS... post some pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    TheFarleys...I'm curious about the weight of the 9. Any chance you have access to a scale? I'd also love to see a few more ride reviews as you work to find the sweet spot on your new 9.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    9.8 will be here tomorrow...woot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Had to come out of the woodwork for this one. Just got word from my LBS that my Farley 5 will be here on Thursday. Already lining up some weekend rides. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Here's a quick iPhone snap from todays ride. Weather, trail and the bike were all really nice.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-21452586171_68c3f6153b_z.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For those interested, a Farley 9.6 17.5 Stock, weighed 28 on our park scale. With reflectors. Converting to tubeless with about three scoops of sealant per tire. It weighed 26lbs and 12oz.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    i got my farley 5 below 30 LBS with tubeless, carbon fork and 30T 1/10, stoked... the bike is a blast

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    deleted
    Last edited by Natedeezy; 09-15-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Wrong pic

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamogal View Post
    i got my farley 5 below 30 LBS with tubeless, carbon fork and 30T 1/10, stoked... the bike is a blast
    Should have just bought a 7.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok wrong pic...here is a complete Farley 7 17.5

mtbr member
    So, the 9.6 is only about 1 pound lighter than a 7? They have the same build except for the 9.6 has carbon frame and larger (should be a lighter combo) wheels

Seems a bit odd?

Especially when the 9.8 is around 22 pounds

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The wheels on the 9.6 are still 80mm, and larger, so that's going to mitigate the weight difference somewhat. They'll still be lighter, just not as much as they could be had Trek gone with 65mm wheels - which they should have IMHO. One of the reasons I went with the 7.

mtbr member
    The numbers still don't add up. Yes the wheels larger than a 26 so theres more wheel / spoke material. But the rubber saved between the tire and sidewall will save a decent amount

Plus going to a carbon frame should be at least 1 pound minimum .

Also odd that nobody has a 9.6 except this guy... yet he hasn't posted a picture except for the scale

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, technically it isn't mine. But a coworkers. I assure you that it was a 9.6. Only thing not installed was dork disc and rear reflector.

If the build between the 7 and 9.6 and there is a 1 pound difference in the frame. I call that pretty good weight loss. The price difference may suck, but I can't control that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shoot, and by that picture of the 7. It is a lost 2 lbs. 1lb 14oz is only 2oz from 2 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I guess we'll see as more people get them. I for one will be disappointed if my 9.8 isn't under the 25lb mark. Especially when 907 is showing a sub 19lb build.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It should be about 22-23. Sans pedals!! The ONLY thing that is not weightweenie on the 9.8 are the brakes. Everything else is within grams of the lightest stuff on the market.

Lord Thunderbottom
    the 9.8 comes in at 23 pounds 11oz out of the box tubeless, size large
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedeezy View Post
    I guess we'll see as more people get them. I for one will be disappointed if my 9.8 isn't under the 25lb mark. Especially when 907 is showing a sub 19lb build.

Sub 19 for the same price? Got a link to that bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crohnsy View Post
    Sub 19 for the same price? Got a link to that bike?
    Doesn't sound quite right does it? I didn't think you could build one of these that light regardless of price, but I am always willing to be wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I know exactly zero specifics but I believe it's a belt drive SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would want to know more about that bike before I bought that hook line and sinker. Impressive for sure though, but I am not completely buying it. Any sealant in the tires? Any pedals or cages on it? Is it a stem you could actually use in Moab? Did they weigh 18 tires and use the 2 lightest ones? Are they using 17ga spokes? Any gears on it?

Impressive though, no doubt about that. Damn impressive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    And I will need to ride it before I sign off on it!!

Lord Thunderbottom
    I know exactly zero specifics but I believe it's a belt drive SS.

it can't be SS, there's 2 cables on the right side of the bars and a cable feeding into the right seatstay, it doesn't have a dropper post, what would the extra cable run if not a rear derailer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm sure it's lighter than us mortals will be able to achieve. I'd like to think a fat bike that light would be pretty sketchy to ride hard be I could be wrong. I'd be most interested in frame/fork weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Doesn't sound quite right does it? I didn't think you could build one of these that light regardless of price, but I am always willing to be wrong.
    No, sub 19 is easy now. I was more curious about the price because that's the biggest decider for weight.

It's easy to say such and such bike is 6 lbs lighter but if it's 2x the price then that claim is misleading. I think a $10k Farley would be easily sub 19lbs as well.

At $4800 I would think the Farley is on the better $/gram end of things but I don't know about the price of the others...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm sure it's lighter than us mortals will be able to achieve. I'd like to think a fat bike that light would be pretty sketchy to ride hard be I could be wrong. I'd be most interested in frame/fork weight.

The Whiteout is claimed at 1980g frame and fork, not sure the size and if that includes hardware.

The Farley 9.8 frame/fork/hardware is claimed 1900g for a 17.5"

The Wampa wheels are 2500g so there is a lot of potential for savings in the wheel department..

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crohnsy View Post
    No, sub 19 is easy now...
    Pfff! If you throw enough money at it!

lvd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Ok wrong pic...here is a complete Farley 7 17.5

Lets see more pics of the 7! Precious few non-rendering pics on the internet

lvd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    dp.
    Last edited by lvd; 09-18-2015 at 03:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    the 9.8 comes in at 23 pounds 11oz out of the box tubeless, size large
    Really? With the tubes removed? I heard the M size would be 10.4kg out the box, that's like 9.5 tubeless without pedals.. Dang, I was hoping for a sub 10kg build with pedals. Might be hard. Shipping in October to Europe, yawn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Ride report for my new Farley 5. In a word: awesome! The framework really is well crafted, which doesn't jump out in photos and the dark grey/ orange color combo is fantastic. After a couple of minor position & cockpit setup tweaks and a degrease & dry lube of the chain last night, I had an hour or so around a singletrack sandpit near home today. The sand was taken with aplomb, it cornered basically as fast as I could pitch it at the sandy berms built up by local dirtbikers. No sinking or self-steer. The few short, rutted & rocky taken climbs were a revelation after years on a SS: traction aplenty, to the point where I was intentionally stopping just to see if I could move off again. I was expecting the front wheel to get a bit light but the stranglehold dropout at the rear was set to its rearmost position. Returning to discs was always going to be an upgrade but the clutched rear derailleur really helps in keeping chainslap to a minimum as well as the absence of dropped chains. The webbed chainstay bridge looks like it will become a bit of a mud trap but otherwise, I couldn't fault the frame or components. Nil issues with heel vs chainstay or seatstay.
    The only thing I'll change in the short-term is to convert to tubeless, prob by the split moto tube & Stans method after drilling the rims for a schraeder valve.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Dan View Post
    Ride report for my new Farley 5. In a word: awesome! The framework really is well crafted, which doesn't jump out in photos and the dark grey/ orange color combo is fantastic. After a couple of minor position & cockpit setup tweaks and a degrease & dry lube of the chain last night, I had an hour or so around a singletrack sandpit near home today. The sand was taken with aplomb, it cornered basically as fast as I could pitch it at the sandy berms built up by local dirtbikers. No sinking or self-steer. The few short, rutted & rocky taken climbs were a revelation after years on a SS: traction aplenty, to the point where I was intentionally stopping just to see if I could move off again. I was expecting the front wheel to get a bit light but the stranglehold dropout at the rear was set to its rearmost position. Returning to discs was always going to be an upgrade but the clutched rear derailleur really helps in keeping chainslap to a minimum as well as the absence of dropped chains. The webbed chainstay bridge looks like it will become a bit of a mud trap but otherwise, I couldn't fault the frame or components. Nil issues with heel vs chainstay or seatstay.
    The only thing I'll change in the short-term is to convert to tubeless, prob by the split moto tube & Stans method after drilling the rims for a schraeder valve.
    I'm picking up my 5 today and this post could haven't gotten me more excited if it tried. That is awesome, so stoked to try mine out! Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Apansson View Post
    Really? With the tubes removed? I heard the M size would be 10.4kg out the box, that's like 9.5 tubeless without pedals.. Dang, I was hoping for a sub 10kg build with pedals. Might be hard. Shipping in October to Europe, yawn.
    My LBS got one in and that's what they are saying - <24lbs tubeless. The guys there thought they could get it down another pound or so without a lot of work.

You know, that's pretty darn good. That's what a top end racing road bike used to go for back in the day.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Picked it up today. Can't wait to take it out for a proper rip. Just hit it around the parking lot. First impressions are this thing is amazing. I only wish I had gotten a fat sooner...

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-2015-09-17-12.14.58.jpg

Lord Thunderbottom
    This thread needs more pictures of the 9 from the few who got the first small batch while I wait for mine to arrive

PUG U!!!
    Just got back from lbs..... checked out a customers 19.5 " 9.8..... 23# even...... without pedals.
    Damn nice ride..... didn't think of a picture..... because it wasn't mine..... but it has carbon everything impressive!
    Not sure about the carbon rims and my heavy butt, and the 27.5 wheel size... but seeing that rig in person has me thinking.
    Peace, Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Not able to finish it but here is a large 9.8 out of the box, tubes, reflectors etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I am picking up a 9.6 this evening, and I will have them weigh it and post some pictures. I am having them switch it to tubeless when they put it together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Some build pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just picked up my 9.6. The shop weighed it without pedals and set it up tubless and it was 27 lbs

mtbr member
    Awesome!

get some pics up and a ride report ASAP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    If there are specific things people want to see let me know. I will take it out either tomorrow afternoon or this weekend on some rocky, rooted and wet trails and see how it feels.

Colors look better in person than in the picture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by joboo View Post
    Just got back from lbs..... checked out a customers 19.5 " 9.8..... 23# even...... without pedals.
    Damn nice ride..... didn't think of a picture..... because it wasn't mine..... but it has carbon everything impressive!
    Not sure about the carbon rims and my heavy butt, and the 27.5 wheel size... but seeing that rig in person has me thinking.
    Peace, Joe
    Not able to finish it but here is a large 9.8 out of the box, tubes, reflectors etc.

So one guy says 23lbs, one guy says 23lbs 15oz with a photo. Hmmmm

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I went for a ride this afternoon. The brakes seems a bit harsh, like the pads were rough and needed to seat in. I will give them a bit and see how it goes. I ended up carrying the bike for a bit on a steep trail, and it was nice having a smooth top tube with no cable runs under it. My other bikes are not this comfortable. As for the 1x11, I have not ridden with this before, on some of the fast downhills I would like liked another gear, but I definitely needed the lowest gear so overall it was fine and I am not going to change anything. Not sure what I think about the 27.5 wheels. I did not get to the snow, but got pretty close to it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the ride report. I have a favor to ask. Could you get a measurement inside and outside the chain stays at the widest point. My wife has a 2014 Farley but it is too small and I would like to replace it. Trek states that they kept the same Q factor so I am curious what the 2016 Alloy frames measure.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Dan View Post
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    This thread needs more pictures of the 9 from the few who got the first small batch while I wait for mine to arrive
    Here's a couple from todays ride. I have to say the bike is starting to grow on me. Still looking for the optimal tire pressure, but really enjoy this bike. Coming from road and cyclocross bikes this is just plain fun and takes you anywhere.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-21354939118_9b0fe2ae45_z.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-21355874199_e049ea1d1b_z.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Finally complete can't wait to get some miles in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Tubeless? With pedals?
    Details please. We don't know what that weight means without them

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Tubeless and no pedals

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Damn, seems my 22.04lbs with pedals will be hard to reach..!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    All it takes is money......
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nothing to it but to do it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What do you reckon would be the easiest way(s) then to drop roughly 2lbs? I'm thinking of DMR vault super light mg/ti pedals, 290 grams. But yeah? Losing 1kg or so seems difficult...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What do you reckon would be the easiest way(s) then to drop roughly 2lbs? I'm thinking of DMR vault super light mg/ti pedals, 290 grams. But yeah? Losing 1kg or so seems difficult...
    It will be difficult as the 9.8 already has a lot of lightweight parts. Every gram will count. You best bet would be to do a spreadsheet of all the weights of the factory parts and their lighter alternatives. At that point you would likely be better just buying the frame set and building it up. I saw that the factory wheels appear to be pretty heavy for a carbon set (2500gr)- swapping to 26" carbon hoops and Jumbo Jim tires would help lose some significant mass.

For pedals: Xpedo Spry are 260gr so lighter yet.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It will be difficult as the 9.8 already has a lot of lightweight parts. Every gram will count. You best bet would be to do a spreadsheet of all the weights of the factory parts and their lighter alternatives. At that point you would likely be better just buying the frame set and building it up. I saw that the factory wheels appear to be pretty heavy for a carbon set (2500gr)- swapping to 26" carbon hoops and Jumbo Jim tires would help lose some significant mass.

Thing is I work in the business so I get a sick price on the bike, and I really don't wanna make a build of my own for that reason. 10kg was just a dream, but I suppose it'll be hard, and it's mostly for show off anyway and I doubt a 11kg farley won't feel much different than a 10kg one. I mean, it's probably possible to build a 10kg bike, but I enjoy having stock stuff too in case of screwup and in the case of resale and swapping bike each year.

Thanks for the pedal tip, a lot cheaper too than the ones I picked out, I wonder if there's a notable difference in quality though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

I have a 9.6 and am thinking about getting a second set of rims (26", carbon) with 5" tires for winter riding. Any suggestions on what rims are light strong and cheap (I know the three don't go together).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I thought I posted this the other day, but I don't see it. Apologies if it is a duplicate. I did a ride up the hill and got close to the snow but not in it.

The bike worked well, There is a section of the trail where I have to carry it, and it was comfortable. Other bikes run cables under the top tube and make it painful to put on my shoulder, but not this bike. My one complaint is the brakes seem pretty noisy and grab a lot, kind if like the pad is really coarse. Is this normal, and will they quiet down when they bed in?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogersAK View Post
    I have a 9.6 and am thinking about getting a second set of rims (26", carbon) with 5" tires for winter riding. Any suggestions on what rims are light strong and cheap (I know the three don't go together).
    Answered your own question I think
    Go Chinese Ebay and roll the dice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The DT Swiss BR 2250 is another option- it is as light as many carbon sets, strong, and cheaper, especially from the euro sites.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by egrims View Post
    Picked it up today. Can't wait to take it out for a proper rip. Just hit it around the parking lot. First impressions are this thing is amazing. I only wish I had gotten a fat sooner...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-09-17 12.14.58.jpg 
Views:	3714 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	1016147
    Nice pic, thanks for sharing! I have the Farley 5 as well. Impresses me every time I look at it. The paint job is just sexy, ain't it?!

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast