Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 1,901 to 1,962 of 1962
    mtbr member
    About to take my Farley 5 on its first bikepacking trip! Photos to follow soon!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I did deores on my 6 and it was just install and shorten hoses. I put a 180mm rotor and it seems to grab alot harder than a 160mm.

The deores were night and day over the DB1s for power and quiet. I would probably get slx this time around for the ability to run the finned metallic pads.
    Interesting. Yeah if I do it I may go SLX. My DB1s are a bit of mess...rode a fair bit of beach and bog so getting lots of rotor rub. Will try the various tricks to see if I can eliminate most of it but if not it's either new brakes or sell the bike as is. Need to get out for a proper rip tubeless and see how it handles.

Do you run tubeless and if so do you carry a spare tube with you? I used to carry a spare fat tube but they are a ridiculous weight (400-450g I think). I'm just looking for a decent 26" fat/+ tube that will get me out of a tight spot yet not cost & weigh the earth (and also cover a 4.7" tyre adequately). Maybe I'm being over cautious with tubes/sealant but there's always a chance I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere and slash a tyre badly on a rock.

2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Interesting. Yeah if I do it I may go SLX. My DB1s are a bit of mess...rode a fair bit of beach and bog so getting lots of rotor rub. Will try the various tricks to see if I can eliminate most of it but if not it's either new brakes or sell the bike as is. Need to get out for a proper rip tubeless and see how it handles.

Do you run tubeless and if so do you carry a spare tube with you? I used to carry a spare fat tube but they are a ridiculous weight (400-450g I think). I'm just looking for a decent 26" fat/+ tube that will get me out of a tight spot yet not cost & weigh the earth (and also cover a 4.7" tyre adequately). Maybe I'm being over cautious with tubes/sealant but there's always a chance I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere and slash a tyre badly on a rock.
    All 3 of my bikes are tubeless. I dont carry a tube, i carry a co2. We dont have sharp wall tearing rocks tho.

I ran a 26x2.75" bontrager tube in a 4.7" tire i used as a front before no issues if you want that as a emergency spare.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    All 3 of my bikes are tubeless. I dont carry a tube, i carry a co2. We dont have sharp wall tearing rocks tho.

I ran a 26x2.75" bontrager tube in a 4.7" tire i used as a front before no issues if you want that as a emergency spare.
    good to know. I've heard of people running DH tubes as a backup. Hoping I won't need it. I've not bothered with co2 for road or MTB but found out the hard way that pumping up a fat bike tyre with an Airwave hand pump takes ages :-/

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member

I thought I recall reading that co2 messes up the Stan's? I have a co2 capable pump but never bought the co2 because of that.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    you would need several CO2 canisters to fill a fat bike tire.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Really? Have you tried? Cause a mtb one worked just fine for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I thought I recall reading that co2 messes up the Stan's? I have a co2 capable pump but never bought the co2 because of that.
    It instantly solidifies the sealant. So i only intend on using a co2 on a hole I lost air on to air up and seal the hole.

I do carry a specialized fatbike pump for adjusting riding pressure on the go while riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20170720_204319.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20170720_204404.jpg

Not a 2016 but I got my 2018 Farley 5 today. Pretty stoked on it---well spec'd for the price. It came out to about 30lbs w/o pedals setup tubeless w/ sun ringle tape and 4.5 oz sealant in each tire.

mtbr member
    Thought this myself. Might work fine for road but have heard most guys carry high volume pumps. Maybe I'm oldskool but never used co2 for road and I've done over 5,000km since I started road cycling. Never punctured once on road bike....of course I've cursed myself saying this. Just didn't like idea of carrying co2 cartridges but I totally get it if you are on a fast club ride or in an event and don't want to fall too far back. 5000km no punctures....took Farley out for first ride with tubes...flatted in first 20k with 2 thorns in the same tyre. I've 5 tubes....all covered with patches...lol. Now tubeless thankfully! Mind you I still run triples on 2 of my bikes so I'm probably considered odd.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daver38 View Post
    Can you ask your mechanic what the headset bearing sizes are, not sure if they are 45 degree or 45/36
    I asked him but he says he can't remember, just measured at the time. Probably best to just dive in and take it apart.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have a year old farley 7, currently have 26 x 4.7 tires
    specs say I can put 27.5 x 4.5 on the bike, does anyone know if the bike will fit 29"

I asked the local dealer yesterday and they didn't know
    has anyone here tried it or know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Provincial View Post
    I have a year old farley 7, currently have 26 x 4.7 tires
    specs say I can put 27.5 x 4.5 on the bike, does anyone know if the bike will fit 29"

I asked the local dealer yesterday and they didn't know
    has anyone here tried it or know?
    AFAIK All 2016 Farleys can take 26" x 4.7", 27.5" x 4-4.5" (I think!) and 29" x 3". That's one of reasons they have those sliding dropouts at the back to allow different wheel sizes and change the way bike handles. You may need to adjust chain length. Thought about the 29 option myself but any time I rode a 29er while they were good rolling over stuff I found they feel like wagon wheels on tight technical climbs. I'm sure other forum members will chime in about this who have done it but one thing I love about the 26" x 4.7" is they are essentially like monster truck wheels and truck through anything. You "might" find with different wheel size/tyre size bike drops down a bit and you end up with more pedal strikes but this is just conjecture on my part as I haven't done it.

EDIT: You may even be able to put a 5" tyre in Farley. I've read some posts where people have put in larger than the stock Barbs. I think there's even a 6" fat tyre now !

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170720_204319.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	1147520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170720_204404.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	1147521

Not a 2016 but I got my 2018 Farley 5 today. Pretty stoked on it---well spec'd for the price. It came out to about 30lbs w/o pedals setup tubeless w/ sun ringle tape and 4.5 oz sealant in each tire.
    Carbon fork, 27.5" wheels, 1x, studable stock tires.... yah its well spec'd

mtbr member
    Carbon fork, 27.5" wheels, 1x, studable stock tires.... yah its well spec'd
    Like the new carbon fork. Pity Trek didn't offer a fork/wheel swap for us poor saps who were lulled into getting the '16 F5 with 135mm hub. Regardless it's unlikely I will put suspension on this thing u less it's a) light or b) cheap. Has Trek revealed any of the Farleys yet with the Mastodon fork?

Got A Lust for Life...
    Those Gnarwals are amazing in snow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Like the new carbon fork. Pity Trek didn't offer a fork/wheel swap for us poor saps who were lulled into getting the '16 F5 with 135mm hub. Regardless it's unlikely I will put suspension on this thing u less it's a) light or b) cheap. Has Trek revealed any of the Farleys yet with the Mastodon fork?
    The 7 is red with a mastodon and nx drive, gnarwhal tires. I think the ex 8 has a bluto but the 9.8 has the mastodon

Got A Lust for Life...
    The 7

I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Really? Have you tried? Cause a mtb one worked just fine for me.
    you must be carrying a scuba tank with you
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    The 7

Im having a tough time choosing the 7 or 9.6. I want the light weight and carbon frame for winter but then a fork and dropper for summer.

I might just get a 9.6 and run it stock all winter then buy a mastodon and dropper for it come spring to make a fun trail bike over my speedy top fuel.

mtbr member
    Im having a tough time choosing the 7 or 9.6. I want the light weight and carbon frame for winter but then a fork and dropper for summer.

I might just get a 9.6 and run it stock all winter then buy a mastodon and dropper for it come spring to make a fun trail bike over my speedy top fuel.
    I'm having the same debate, also the 9.8 but I think that will be far more than I want to spend. I don't like red but i ride a purple bike...go figure

I am looking at the 2017 9.6 on clearance at a LBS.....i like the orange and the specs are the same as 2018.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    I'm having the same debate, also the 9.8 but I think that will be far more than I want to spend. I don't like red but i ride a purple bike...go figure

I am looking at the 2017 9.6 on clearance at a LBS.....i like the orange and the specs are the same as 2018.
    The 2018 9.8 is pretty sick. I would put the gx eagle on my top fuel and the x1 on it but im ok with gx and aluminum parts. The mulefuts are super durable and either way i need to upgrade the rear hub. The 2018 9.6 is charcoal too fyi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Farley 7 owners out there, 2016, 2017, 17.5", I'm looking for Front-Center geometry measurement. Distance in mm from center of BB (crank) to center of front axle, front wheel dead straight ahead. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Just some views on finally running tubeless on my 2016 F5. Been out for a good few rides now and the weight difference is noticeable. Bike with pedals is probably coming in around the 14kg mark and much faster to accelerate...a bit more pop over technical stuff. Been running at 10F/12R for gravel/pathways/road and 8F/10R on more single track stuff. I know I can go much lower but is working well at the moment. I had a friend carry out the tubeless setup as he had done a fair few as a race mechanic and this was his first fat bike. Used Airwave tubeless valves, Airshot, Stans sealant & injector and SunRingle tape. All is holding well and airtight. I've discovered that you can lose a little spray of sealant when opening valve to check/adjust pressure but my friend advises best way to do this is make sure the valve is at the top of the rim so that sealant rolls to the bottom. I've got an XC race at the end of the month on this bike in mixture of fireroad and boggy terrain so will experiment a bit more with tyre pressure before then. I've stopped carrying spare tubes (400-450g) at the moment usually as my rides haven't been anywhere too far off the beaten track but may opt for a Q-tubes superlight 2.2-2.7" just to get me out of a tight spot. Really don't want to be carrying fat tubes ever again. Have replaced the standard 80mm Bontrager stem with a Truvativ AKA 70mm to shorten cockpit a bit as these bikes size up big and I was getting a bit of a sore back on longer rides (I'm 6' 1"). Replaced stock grips with SDG Han Solos. SRAM DB1s are the weakest link on this bike. Was getting LOTS of rotor rub with them and took a good hour+ or so of tinkering & re-aligning calipers and pads to eliminate it completely. I think next thing I will do is replace brakes with Deore or SLX. I've found with the DB1s they are not great for beach riding and sand gets easily kicked inside the caliper which results in lots of grinding on the pads/rotors. I read from another poster that they actually taped over the opening of the caliper to prevent this. I've yet to take the bike to a man-made trail centre to see how it handles but it's felt great on the natural trails near me. Tubeless is giving me lots more confidence now for long distance/all day rides but will see how it goes when they start trimming back all the hedgerows here.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hello!

Which hub did you decide on? My boyfriend is having similar problems with his Farley 7. long story short his hub has disintegrated with only 1200 km on his bike. It is still under warranty. Any suggestions for a better hub that can survive?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Justine29 View Post
    Hello!

Which hub did you decide on? My boyfriend is having similar problems with his Farley 7. long story short his hub has disintegrated with only 1200 km on his bike. It is still under warranty. Any suggestions for a better hub that can survive?
    DT 350 for fatties worth a look.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata CC
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2016 Farley 7

mtbr member
    I recently installed a Manitou mastodon fork on my bike, i had clearance issue with tuning knobs and frame down tube with stock headset

Trek farley 5 in 17.5"/med
    manitou mastodon pro ext 120mm

after installing the Cane creek/Salsa +3mm base plate part# BAA0855K(ordered from cane creek directly at $11 plus $6.5 shipping). my Farley 5 17.5 barely clear the knobs on the fork with about 0.2mm. A piece of printer paper would get somewhat caught in between. prior installing the +3mm crown race i tried a chris king base plate, and fsa crown race and oem from the bike. all would make 100% contact.
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    technically NOT a Trek fat bike but posting here as I know this will interest A LOT of people here: The New 2018 Trek 1120, a Bikepacking Stache - BIKEPACKING.com

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    I recently installed a Manitou mastodon fork on my bike, i had clearance issue with tuning knobs and frame down tube with stock headset

Trek farley 5 in 17.5"/med
    manitou mastodon pro ext 120mm

after installing the Cane creek/Salsa +3mm base plate part# BAA0855K(ordered from cane creek directly at $11 plus $6.5 shipping). my Farley 5 17.5 barely clear the knobs on the fork with about 0.2mm. A piece of printer paper would get somewhat caught in between. prior installing the +3mm crown race i tried a chris king base plate, and fsa crown race and oem from the bike. all would make 100% contact.
    What do you think of the Mastodon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post

i dont have a chance to ride it. still need to put the bike together. missing brakes and drive train
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post

There's an entire thread on that fork.....

mtbr member
    I just picked up a lightly used 2017 Farley 9.6 in size 19.5.

The previous owner was running a shorter than stock stem on the bike, i just sold my 2016 Farley 7 which had a longer stem, but I forget the length...i think it was 70 or 80 mm?

Can anyone confirm the stock stem length? I need to order a new one.

Thanks
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

The previous owner was running a shorter than stock stem on the bike, i just sold my 2016 Farley 7 which had a longer stem, but I forget the length...i think it was 70 or 80 mm?

Thanks
    I just picked up my 2018 Farley EX 9.8 and it comes with 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrknight View Post
    I just picked up my 2018 Farley EX 9.8 and it comes with 70mm stem.
    thanks!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member

Thanks
    I've a 2016 F5 19.5 and it came with an 80mm stem. I'm 6' 1" and was feeling pretty stretched out and getting sore back on longer rides. Put a bulkier 70mm stem on it and it seems about right for me. I couldn't say 100% certain what sizes ship on the higher end 9.x range or 2017 models.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My 2017 9.6 came with a 70mm with a 7 deg rise.

mtbr member
    Just raced my 2016 F5 at the weekend for the first time at a 30km XC race. Cannot believe how well this bike performed. I had wanted to spend a bit more time fine tuning the setup/cleaning rotors & dialling in tyre pressure but didn't get round to it. Tubeless makes a HUGE difference to how fast this bike rolls. Went for 7psi front and 9psi rear which was a nice trade-off for speed vs self-steer. Course was very wet, mucky & boggy with long fire road climbs and transitions. Placed 12th out of around 80 riders. I think there was a few other fat bikes racing: a F5, a F9, Scott Big Jon and couple other fat/+bikes I didn't recognise. Almost tempted to enter a CX race....if their rules allow it!

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My old F5 still going strong

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I need to replace my headset on my Farley 9.6 2017.

Looks like it's a IS41/IS52… I just want to double check with somebody that’s done it already.

I came up with Cane Creek 110 series BAA0768K or 40 series BAA0741K.

mtbr member
    @jpaa Nice. What changes did you make from stock? Is that a 180 rotor up front and different (carbon?) fork? ODI grips, Brooks style saddle and 1x. Just guessing from the pic.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Im in Southern California and just ordered a 2018 Trek Farley EX 9.8. The bike will be used predominantely as my trail and single track bike with occasional use for commuting, adventure riding, and even snow-maybe once a year. Any suggestions for setting up the suspension, air psi, and type of tires to use for type of riding? Im 160-lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Im in Southern California and just ordered a 2018 Trek Farley EX 9.8. The bike will be used predominantely as my trail and single track bike with occasional use for commuting, adventure riding, and even snow-maybe once a year. Any suggestions for setting up the suspension, air psi, and type of tires to use for type of riding? Im 160-lbs.
    I'm 165ish....use Trek's calculator to get you in the ballpark on the shock
    I'm running a little stiffer in the rear at 197psi with a Motion Pro digital pump ( all pumps are different..and most fairly inaccurate)
    For the fork....the recommendations printed on the fork are way high. I'm running 47 psi on a 120 EXT Pro ( I have not ridden the Comp model)

Buy a good pump and experiment

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just raced my 2016 F5 at the weekend for the first time at a 30km XC race. Cannot believe how well this bike performed. I had wanted to spend a bit more time fine tuning the setup/cleaning rotors & dialling in tyre pressure but didn't get round to it. Tubeless makes a HUGE difference to how fast this bike rolls. Went for 7psi front and 9psi rear which was a nice trade-off for speed vs self-steer. Course was very wet, mucky & boggy with long fire road climbs and transitions. Placed 12th out of around 80 riders. I think there was a few other fat bikes racing: a F5, a F9, Scott Big Jon and couple other fat/+bikes I didn't recognise. Almost tempted to enter a CX race....if their rules allow it!
    I've raced my fat bike at a local CX series and was worried I'd just embarrass myself but the fat bike performed well particularly as the course got more worn in and became more difficult for other riders while the fat bike just kept on going with ease.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hmm, I've been waiting for the specs on the 2018s to come out - is it true there is only a 1lb difference between the 9.6 and 9.8 farley? I thought there'd be more with such a big price difference.

mtbr member
    9.8 has lighter wheels and components than the 9.6 but has a dropper which adds some weight back to the bike.

Sounds about right to me.
    Last edited by Swerny; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:32 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    @jpaa Nice. What changes did you make from stock? Is that a 180 rotor up front and different (carbon?) fork? ODI grips, Brooks style saddle and 1x. Just guessing from the pic.
    1x11 Shimano M8000 drivetrain
    SRAM chain (works better with Shimano, LOL)
    Absolute Black oval 30T chainring
    M8000 XT brakes with 180mm ice tech rotors and metallic pads
    Haru Pro fork
    Brooks cambium c17 saddle
    Carbon handlebar, I don't remember the brand but 20mm rise and 9deg bend
    Odi grips
    Crank brothers egg beater pedals
    Tubeless with Jumbo JiM 4.8''

mtbr member
    Here's my new to me, 2017 Farley 9.6 with a Lauf Carbonara. Currently set up 29+ with Chupacabra's on Carbonspeed 35mm rims. Carbon seatpost, WTB saddle, Easton EA90 stem, Candy pedals.

Maiden voyage today was great2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-carbon-farley-1.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-carbon-farley-2.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-carbon-farley-3.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-carbon-farley-4.jpg
    Last edited by Swerny; 1 Week Ago at 10:23 AM. Reason: added the piucs

mtbr member
    9.8 has lighter wheels and components than the 9.6 but has a dropper which adds some weight back to the bike.

Sounds about right to me.
    Eagle gx is heavy too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy99 View Post
    Hmm, I've been waiting for the specs on the 2018s to come out - is it true there is only a 1lb difference between the 9.6 and 9.8 farley? I thought there'd be more with such a big price difference.
    Ditch the dropper and get an xo cassette.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I just got the same bike! I love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Would you have any recommendations on how to carry a full-size spare? It's too big for my seat bag and it takes up my whole gas tank. Looking for recommendations, if you have any. I just purchased a Farley 5 over the weekend and am still getting accustomed to the differences between regular and fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agurvey View Post
    Would you have any recommendations on how to carry a full-size spare? It's too big for my seat bag and it takes up my whole gas tank. Looking for recommendations, if you have any. I just purchased a Farley 5 over the weekend and am still getting accustomed to the differences between regular and fat bikes.
    Are you asking about a spare tube?

Go tubeless and then carry a DH tube, 27.5 x 2.5 or something like that.

Realistically, a trail side repair for a fat bike tire is going to be an ordeal any way you slice it.

I carry a 29 x 2.3 tube when riding my tubeless 29+ setup
    Last edited by Swerny; 1 Week Ago at 09:55 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Coming up dry for a search. I have 16 Farley 7. I realize i can go to 5" tire with 26 rim. BUT can I go to a 27.5 wheel and a 4.5 tire?

And....I am looking for advice on winter riding. Better to stay with the 26" and 4.8 Snowshoe XL studded I currently have or move to the 27.5 and a 4.5? I picked up my F7 used it came with stock 26" wheels and Barb tires and a set of Snowshoe XL studded for those 26 stock rims.

I don't see much use for trail with the F7 it will be primarily snow. I have the 16 and ditched looking for 18 as I don't see enough of an upgrade from the 16 to 18. 16 cost me $1400 with both sets of tires that look new. I figured I would wait for IsoSpeed coupler to make it to the Farley line.

Meantime I'm a fatbike newb with lots of ??
    2016 Remedy 9
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2016 Farley 7

mtbr member
    the frames and forks are the same between 2016 and 2018 F7, so the wheels will be interchangeable.

The only difference was the F5 which had a 135 mm fork for 2016, 2017
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi. Thanks for the response. Kind of a newbie, as you can tell. I was totally asking about a spare tube. Thanks. I am actually looking into tubeless now. Thank you for the advice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    For clarity....im new to fat bike too. The comment about the mountain bike 27.5 2" tube was meant to go inside a tubeless fat bike tire should you be trailside with a flat. Sux but just a means to get you home. A fat bike tube is GIANT!
    2016 Remedy 9
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2016 Farley 7

mtbr member
    Are you asking about a spare tube?

Go tubeless and then carry a DH tube, 27.5 x 2.5 or something like that.

Realistically, a trail side repair for a fat bike tire is going to be an ordeal any way you slice it.

I carry a 29 x 2.3 tube when riding my tubeless 29+ setup
    ^ what this guy says. I was using tubes for ages and it is an ordeal. Trust me if you puncture on a fat bike in the middle of nowhere in sub zero temperatures....you may as well as get air-lifted out. Unseating the bead from rim the first time on my F5 was hard as f**k and that was doing it in the warmth of my home. I later punctured in the rain/cold and even though I was carrying a spare it was just easier to call a lift. All joking aside if you want to carry a FULL fat tube for a 5" tyre the best way is with a LARGE Topeak saddle bag (it will fit...just about) or a Camelbak. Either way it's a 400g+ weight penalty you don't want. I've been running tubeless since August. No punctures yet as far as I know. If I was going deep into the wilderness with maybe limited mobile signal I would bring a patch kit and a spare. QTubes are supposed to be decent light spares to carry. Tubeless is the greatest upgrade to any fatbike and everyone here will likely confirm it! :-)

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Whats the offset of the 9.6 chainring? 3 or 6mm? Its dished the wrong was as well right? Im looking at getting a wolf tooth camo SS ring so i dont need to change rings every 3 months...

mtbr member

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes

I have two 14 Farley's both with bluto's. I purchased a Farley 9.6 and installed the bluto. I can tell you the carbon makes a difference. At the end of a twenty mile ride I still feel fresh or let's be honest and say not as beat up. The carbon absorbs the bumps so much better.

My advise buy the 9.6 you will love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Honest abe...i may be new to FB but I did a few years on the fence. Bought a 2016 F 7 and it's an impressive bike. All snow and ice for my rides so my wanting A carbon 9 wasn't going to get me in a better place.

If your looking to run winter plus any other season my vote is for the 9.××× whatever u decide and 2 sets of wheels. Recoup some of the front fork weight of suspension. The 7 is pretty responsive in AL so get all you can from the carbon.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2016 Farley 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    I have two 14 Farley's both with bluto's. I purchased a Farley 9.6 and installed the bluto. I can tell you the carbon makes a difference. At the end of a twenty mile ride I still feel fresh or let's be honest and say not as beat up. The carbon absorbs the bumps so much better.

My advise buy the 9.6 you will love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I did get the 9.6! Im thinking of putting a lauf on it.

I dont have a pic, its sitting at my lbs waiting on a dt 350 for the rear. Ive seen it. Im in no rush as i have 2 other bikes but hola i want it at the same time hahaha. I told them close to Oct ill pick it up tho.

mtbr member
    I did get the 9.6! Im thinking of putting a lauf on it.

I dont have a pic, its sitting at my lbs waiting on a dt 350 for the rear. Ive seen it. Im in no rush as i have 2 other bikes but hola i want it at the same time hahaha. I told them close to Oct ill pick it up tho.
    Love the color and I can't wait to see the Lauf fork on the bike.

Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920