Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I'm busy researching the 27.5x4 wheels now but the bike I think I want is the 9.6. It's going to be ridden primarily in the winter and on tracks made by snowmobiles or on the sand near the water (packed). Since we get some freeze/thaw here, I'll probably add studs to the tires. I don't need or want suspension at this point. The 27.5's are probably a good improvement over the 26x4's in terms of patch size.

If the 27.5's don't work, then I'll get a set of 26x5 wheels and have the best of both worlds. So that would be the downside.

J.
    The knob height/design of the 27.5 tires will determine if you can add studs. You'll need suitable knob width and and at least 5mm depth for grip studs.

I'm still skeptical on the 27.5x3.8" tires performance in the snow. They would have a slightly longer contact patch, but their low profile sidewalks will really limit how low of a psi you can run due to the risk of dinging a rim. 3-4psi would get expensive really quick.

Don't really have any options if they don't grip well either, aside from buying 26" wheels, as the only other available 27.5" tires at this point are skinnier. No studded options in 27.5 either at this point.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Don't really have any options if they don't grip well either, aside from buying 26" wheels, as the only other available 27.5" tires at this point are skinnier.
    For anyone in the UK, for a while you won't even have the option to put a new 27.5" Hodag on if you wreck one beyond repair. According to Trek they're not going to be available till mid-November, somewhat after the bikes are due in (my 9 is due late September). And like you said, I've not seen tires in the same size from any other manufacturers yet, so there will be a few weeks of trying to avoid anything that might cut the tire up bad!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    This is pretty much where I stand right now. The only downside would be dropping a large amount of money on a 2nd wheel set.
    Exactly.

I'm trying to figure out what the contact patch size would be on the 27.5x4 compared to both the 26x4's and the 26x5's. I talked to Trek and they seemed to be of the opinion that if the terrain was mostly packed snow or even snowmobile tracks and the snow had set up at all (i.e. day old or so), the 27.5 would do well. It would also be fine on sand if it was less loose (i.e. near the water) and that it would be better in all cases than the 26x4's and slightly less floaty than the 26x5's. The tradeoff would be that it would be quicker in handling etc...

If so, that would work for me and should be a pretty safe bet. If not, then the downside is the extra set of rims and I'd be set up for summer and winter well. I had sort of planned on that eventually anyhow thinking that the 5" tires are the ticket for the winter, but I wanted to avoid the expense all at once. My LBS is trying to figure it out as well and may just let me take first crack at either a 7 or the 9.6 so I can figure it out. I'd much prefer it if the 9.6 would work just because of the serious upgrade on frame and components. If the 27.5" wheel is what they say it is, then it's a no-brainer.

J.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have the 9 on order and mostly plan to use it on dirt,my feeling is it should be fantastic on dirt. Several of my friends have 2015 Farley's and all own several other bikes as well, it has become there go to bike now and seeing how much fun and how well fat tired bikes track and handle sold me on one. I would definitely build a set of 26 wheels for winter riding and just because!

mtbr member
    I am looking at building up a nice steel monstercross bike (Soma Wolverine), but this thread popping up has me getting firm in the pants over the Farley 7 again. Crap.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    I have the 9 on order and mostly plan to use it on dirt,my feeling is it should be fantastic on dirt.
    Me too!

We don't get much snow round here so I'll probably take it somewhere that's had a good snowfall just to see how it goes, but it will be mostly on dirt in normal use unless we get a lot more snow than usual this winter (wouldn't mind if we do, actually!). Hoping the 27.5s will be really good for dirt use, but we'll see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm thinking of ordering a set of Mulefut 27.5's for my 7 as an option for summer.
    I should be able to run those Hodags just fine, along with the normal + options.
    Yeah I think that's the sweet spot setup right there.
    Not interested in those wide 27.5 rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    LBS had a Farley 5 (15.5) in stock. Appears to have a ton of rear wheel clearance with the 4.7" tire, might even fit the 2XL snowshoe. The front clearance will likely be limited by the fork brace.

Wasn't a fan of the sliding axle assembly, it's similar to those used on older motocross bikes- threaded rods on each side. On the motorcycle side they were a pain to align especially once they got dirty, although on a fatbike you probably won't have to adjust them often. On the plus side you can fine tune for your tire clearance, but I would think you'd either want it all the way forward or back and a two position flipper mount would be simpler, lighter, with less to go wrong.

Barbegazi tires looked promising, and were reasonably wide. Looks to have more grip than a Jumbo Jim, but roll better than a GC or Bud/Lou.

It was pouring rain and the bike was two sizes too small so I didn't ask to ride it. My LBS said they were expecting Farley 7's next week.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I had the same thoughts about the Barbegazi tires just from the pictures I've seen/promising.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Looking for Farley 5 carbon fork ? Thoughts ? Think Trek will sell one aftermarket ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My thought is get the 7 - problem solved. You'll end up spending the same - more or less. Maybe a few hundred more than getting a carbon fork later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Why not just go for the Farley 7 with the carbon fork and a few other upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This is like the 15" wide or 16" wide snowmobile mountain track debate
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    This is like the 15" wide or 16" wide snowmobile mountain track debate
    It is?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Went to a local shop to order a 5 and they said "How would you like it tomorrow?" I'm a new member so thanks for all the info in this thread and the forum in general. It is an extremely helpful resource. Here are some pictures. I rode a sand dune area, crossed four beaches, gravel, pavement and some dirt single track for about 22 miles so far. I really like this bike. I had the tires at 8.5psi and everything felt pretty good.2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-dsc_0365.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-dsc_0366.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-dsc_0369.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-dsc_0370.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-dsc_0373.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-dsc_0402.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Stopped by my local LBS on Saturday. He has a demo 2016 Farley 5 demo. I'm going to pick it up this week and take out to the local single track for an evening.

Also put money down on a Farley 7.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Congrats Metal8. My Farley 5 should arrive sometime this week. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by moshock View Post
    Congrats Metal8. My Farley 5 should arrive sometime this week. Can't wait!
    Make sure your weekend is clear. This bike will cause major distraction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal8 View Post
    Went to a local shop to order a 5 and they said "How would you like it tomorrow?"
    Looks good!

Still got a month to wait for my 9, so pictures of Farleys are all I have to look at right now! Usefully, yours just reminded me to find my big water bottle - it won't fit in the frame on my FS trail bike so I've been using a smaller bottle, but the big one should be no problem on the Farley. That's good, now I have a totally rational justification for having ordered the bike.

mtbr member
    METAL8---your new Farley looks nice!! I love the flat black and orange.

PUG U!!!
    Alright Trek heads
    Farley 5 or Surly Wednesday??
    College age son wants to get Fat!!

Peace, Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hard to wrong really. I'm guessing the Farley is a fair bit lighter.
    Love the color of the Surly though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joboo View Post
    Alright Trek heads
    Farley 5 or Surly Wednesday??
    College age son wants to get Fat!!

Peace, Joe
    Would love to hear others thoughts on this also! I put a deposit on a Farley 7, but am really loving the Wednesday!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have money on a 7 - no contest except for color.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Both will be good just have to choose steel or aluminum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I put money down last weekend on a 7. My LBS has a new 5 in that's a demo. Going to take it for a ride soon.

mtbr member
    Farley will be more trail orientated. The Wednesday seems to be right in between a Pugs and an ICT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky697 View Post
    Farley will be more trail orientated. The Wednesday seems to be right in between a Pugs and an ICT.
    I've been looking over the geometery quite a bit, they seem to be closely matched don't they? Or am I just ignorant to think that a 1/4" difference makes that huge of difference in the bb drop and chainstay and 3/4" in wheelbase? And the ht angles are the same. Trust me, I am no expert when it comes to this stuff, I am just looking at the numbers!

I was kind of thinking it was just a decision between steel vs aluminum? Yes, the Surly will be heavier, but only by a couple pounds maybe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Got my Farley 5 last night, can't wait to take er for a spin today! Aesthetically, this bike looks incredible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Getting ready to build a Farley 7.....pics incoming

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ugh... as if my wait wasn't going to be hard enough!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have the 9 on order but might have the option for the 9.6 and actually is a better deal even though some of the components are a step down,but not significant for overall performance,the cost of the 9.6 and pick up a Bluto for not much more then the cost of the 9 and have a carbon frame and the carbon fork for winter use.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    And here we go, love the purple pics don't do it justice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedeezy View Post
    And here we go, love the purple pics don't do it justice.
    The purple looks pretty good to me even in the pics! Hard to say without seeing both in person, but I'd probably prefer the purple to the waterloo blue my 9 will be when it turns up. Not that I'm going to worry about how my bike looks, just how it rides.

Speaking of which, looking forward to hearing how yours rides.

And more pics if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I don't mind the blue, but I don't think green was a wise choice for the graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Holy crap! That thing looks bad a**! Is that the weight with reflectors and pedals? Pretty impressive either way!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes the blue and green does seem a bit of an odd combination. Might have to wear upside down foggles when I ride, or rose-tinted Oakleys...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That is without pedals, but it complete otherwise. 17.5" frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Can't wait for my 9.8 to come in....you know there will be pics....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedeezy View Post
    Can't wait for my 9.8 to come in....you know there will be pics....
    Ditto with my 9 when it gets here. Do you have a delivery date yet for the 9.8?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Not sure, I've heard late September.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Same here (UK), I've been told September 21st but that's an estimated date so I don't know whether they really have an exact day planned or it's just an educated guess. Presumably they should know by now what the shipping arrangements are to get the bikes into the UK, so I can only hope there's some sort of plan swinging into action!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I want my 9.8 so bad...time to order some R1 racing brakes to go with it!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes, I've already got a few things waiting to be fitted as soon as it gets here. And I expect the pile will grow over the next week or two! Sad isn't it?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Too be fair, it's not like the 9.8 really needs anything else. From current reviews and experience the Sram Guide brakes it comes with are supposed to be pretty solid. And the Race X lite stems are on par weight wise with the XXX lite carbon ones, just no where near as stiff and strong.

I am just a Formula brand whore. I love the powr and weight. And I am a tinkerer by nature, so the temperamental nature of their brakes is ok by me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The things I've got waiting aren't to replace anything, just additions like pedals and mudguards (so far...). I'm going to run with all the standard equipment at least to start with and see how things go before deciding whether to upgrade anything. I suspect it will mostly be fine for anything I want to do with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Anyone ridden both a 2106 Fatboy and 2016 Farley? I'm a total noob to fatbikes, but rode a Farley 5 in a parking lot and was annoyed at my left heel hitting either the chainstay or crank. Seemed like the crank width was huge. I'm having a hard time finding apples to apples data, but I think the Farley has 121mm bottom bracket width vs 100mm for the Fatboy. Am I reading these specs right? Ultimately, I'm wondering if the pedal-to-pedal width is narrower on the Fatboy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I missed the early boat, my 9.8 is coming in November..

This will be the first bike in a long time that I don't think I will want to change anything on. The brakes are great, the drivetrain is great, the rest of the spec is excellent. Just have to remove the tubes and install my pedals. I might change the grips too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    @Grouch

The bb width doesn't tell the Q factor story. It's all about the crankset. Comparing apples to apples (ie. Race face Next cranks on both bikes) they will have the same Q factor. I used the 170mm spindle on my 2015 Fatboy and the Farley is setup for the same 170mm spindle. You could swap to the 190 spindle if you wanted more width.

I did find my calf would rub from time to time on the Fatboy seat stay. Will see what happens when I get my Farley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It looks to me like the Farley 5 is already running a "190 spindle", based on the Race Face website showing 190mm for the Ride crankset with a max tire width of 5". Q factor = 222mm.

http://www.raceface.com/comp/pdf/FAT...CLEARANCES.pdf
    Top line of the blue shaded area.

Does the Fatboy get away with narrower spindle and q factor from being 1x, whereas the Farley 5 is 2X? I can't find any data on the Stout XC Pro crankset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Holy *%@& batman - just had an email to say that my Farley 9 has arrived at the store and they'll be contacting me about arranging collection in the next day or two! Quite a surprise given that the expected delivery date wasn't till 21st September. Not that I'm complaining, you understand.

I heard they were supposed to be released at the start of September but I was assuming there would be shipping time to get to the UK after that, so I'm only hoping it isn't some sort of error where they've sent the email by mistake and the bike's not actually here yet. How frustrating would that be?

I'll know for sure soon enough. Anyway, must go as there were a few things I was going to order up so I'd have them before the bike arrived, but I wasn't rushing as I thought I had plenty of time...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Apparently the email was correct, just had the phone call and the bike's ready to collect so I'm out the door right now to go get it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am jealous. I haven't heard anything about mine yet. I guess I will just have to going riding to help stem the anxiety.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Looking for some answers from the folks that have picked up the new bikes

Trek lists chainstay length and that it has 15mm of adjustability, but doesn't state what position was measured for the geometry chart, anyone care to fill me in?

Which position was the bike set in for wheelbase length?

Also since they are talking about running reg 29er wheels with the adjustable dropout, does the 4.7 tire fit in the frame if the dropout is adjusted all the way forward or is it simply for some other smaller diameter tires?
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Pure Evil

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes

The geo charts are based around having the sliders all the way forward (440mm cs) 4.7" tires fit just fine with the sliders in their shortest position. Most of the bikes I've seen have been shipping with the sliders in their longest setting, just remove the plastic spacer and adjust the stays to the length you desire. The plastic spacer is only there for CPSC and other regulatory reasons, it has no structural purpose.

|Trek Bicycle Corporation|

Stalk me on Instagram

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by [TA] View Post
    The geo charts are based around having the sliders all the way forward (440mm cs) 4.7" tires fit just fine with the sliders in their shortest position. Most of the bikes I've seen have been shipping with the sliders in their longest setting, just remove the plastic spacer and adjust the stays to the length you desire. The plastic spacer is only there for CPSC and other regulatory reasons, it has no structural purpose.

Thanks for saving me some time

can I pick you brain for one more thing?

I assume all trek geometry does not take into account suspension sag, that would explain the geometry differences between the farley 7 and 9?
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone tried slapping a set of 29+ wheels in their new Farley?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corsair77 View Post
    Apparently the email was correct, just had the phone call and the bike's ready to collect so I'm out the door right now to go get it!
    Waiting to see some photos of the new bike!!!

Pure Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    Thanks for saving me some time

can I pick you brain for one more thing?

I assume all trek geometry does not take into account suspension sag, that would explain the geometry differences between the farley 7 and 9?
    Full disclosure, our geo charts are in serious need of an update. For the most part the charts take into account SAG. The geometry differences between the 7 and 9 are due to the difference in axle to crown of the rigid fork vs the Bluto. Our rigid fork has a 490mm axle to crown, the 100mm Bluto has a 521mm axle to crown. At 10% SAG the Bluto will be about 500mm AtC, which will make for small differences in geometry.

Stalk me on Instagram

Pure Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Anyone tried slapping a set of 29+ wheels in their new Farley?
    29+ will fit the 2016 Farley just fine.

Stalk me on Instagram

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    Waiting to see some photos of the new bike!!!
    This will have to do for a start. By the time I got back it was getting dark so it's a flash photo and looks a bit washed out and the green bits came out looking an odd colour. Having seen it in person though, the blue has a really nice matt finish and I'm starting to like it! Just hope it still looks like that when it's been muddied and cleaned a few times...

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-p1000385a.jpg

I'll try to get some pictures in daylight when I get the chance.

I spent this evening fitting pedals etc, setting everything up and going tubeless (saved 727g total). I'll be trying to sneak away from work for a quick ride after lunch tomorrow, to see how she goes. Did do a quick circuit or three round the garden just to make sure everything works, and so far so good!

BTW, re the rear axle sliders, mine also came with the axle all the way back and the plastic spacers fitted.

And as discussed on another thread, in the time it took me to wheel the bike 10 yards from the sales desk out the front door of the bike shop, 4 different people asked me about it or said something along the lines of "nice bike". This was not happening to any of the other people wheeling bikes in and out of the store!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The suspense is killing me on some ride reports! Oh, and a phone call to tell me mine has come in!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tschram72 View Post
    The suspense is killing me on some ride reports! Oh, and a phone call to tell me mine has come in!
    Some people are so impatient!

I managed to get away from work for a couple of hours, and did 12 miles with about half of it off road on local byways. There's still a few things to sort out, like a set of riser bars as I prefer to be a bit more upright, but it's now running tubeless and had the basic setup done for fork pressure etc.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20150901_163909a.jpg

This is my first fat bike, and also my first 1x11 (I'm used to 2x10) so I can't compare it with other fat bikes. At first it felt bouncy at the rear end when pedalling quickly, which is no doubt something I can alter with tyre pressures. In any case I soon found that it only happened when I was at the point where I'd be thinking about changing up a gear, so spinning quite quickly, and if I actually did change up it settled down right away to running much more smoothly. Once I started changing up a bit earlier and running a higher gear, I didn't notice it as a problem any more.

That actually turned out to be quite useful as one of my concerns was that the lowest gear is somewhat higher than on my 29er and I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to manage climbs ok, especially as I'm just getting going again after quite a long enforced break, but I was surprised to find that even now while I'm not at all fit I could take some of the hills in second where I'd normally be in first! Not quite sure how that works, but in general it actually seemed easier to pedal than my 29er, which I wasn't expecting. Either that or I've gotten much fitter while not exercising and putting on weight (which of course means I'm having to pull more up the hills than I was) - that seems unlikely...

To be fair, I've started off with tyre pressures that are too high (20psi) and I'm going to work my way down trying different pressures till I see what works for me (with kit I'm over 110kg so I don't think I'll be running at low psi for a while or the rims will get a bashing). Half of every ride will always be on the road to join the trails together, so it's going to be a compromise. I did drop the pressures to 17psi half way round and that definitely felt better on the trail sections with no real difference I could tell on the road, so I'll try going a bit further next time out.

Handling felt very good, though there wasn't anything really testing on the trails I had time to do. Did do one steep downhill on the road and got up to nearly 40mph, and it was completely stable which is good to know!

I set the fork pressure as per the RockShox guidelines, but it felt very stiff even with the compression damping on minimum. Is that a common thing with the Bluto? I'll check the sag properly when I get time as I'm sure it's not using anywhere near the full stroke at the moment so the pressure may need to come down a ways.

Would have helped if I'd thought to slide the rubber o-ring down the stanchion before I rode, so I'd know how much travel it actually was using (hey, I was working on it till after midnight, give me a break!).

Overall, even with the few things that still need sorting out it was great fun to ride and despite the quite high tyre pressures it felt like it had more grip than my 29er and just rolled over everything in a very reassuring way. Remains to be seen what happens when it gets really muddy or I hit more challenging trails, but so far so good!

Even the stock saddle's reasonably comfortable - I was going to fit one of my WTB saddles, but I'll leave the stock one on now till I do a longer ride and see how it goes as it may actually be better than the WTB.

So all things considered, especially finding that it's much easier to pedal than I thought it might be after hearing some stories, I'm very happy!

BTW: Sorry, I can't help with the phone call about yours arriving.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Way too much air pressure. You should be in the 8-12 range. IF that

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    Way too much air pressure. You should be in the 8-12 range. IF that

I'm not sure I'd go as low as 8psi on a 27.5", especially in the rocks. These tires have close to an inch less sidewall than a 26" fat tire so less room for error.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Has anyone got their hands on a Farley 9.8 yet? I know it has all the bells and whistles but is it $2000 better than the 9.6. My LBS has a 9.8 coming in early next week and I need to make a decision quick to put my name on it if I want it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I almost went 9.6 but for the parts upgrade is a good value. I felt a no brainer to go 9.8. Way better brakes, the best cranks, more carbon parts, full carbon fork,drivetrain upgrade and of course carbon wheels.

I suppose if you are going to change all the parts the 9.6 is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Depends on your riding style. Main reason I ordered a 9.8 is the carbon rims, although I like other upgrades as well. If you like to hit corners hard, removing weight from the rims will lesson the gyroscopic effect and the bike will be easier to lean over at speed. It will also be easier to accelerate, this being most noticeable in taller gears. At lower speeds you will not notice the benefits nearly as much.
    Last edited by kota12; 09-05-2015 at 10:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Never had carbon wheels or the carbon steerer. How will they hold up to a bigger guy? This would be my most expensive bike ever so I am a little nervous about pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crohnsy View Post
    I almost went 9.6 but for the parts upgrade is a good value. I felt a no brainer to go 9.8. Way better brakes, the best cranks, more carbon parts, full carbon fork,drivetrain upgrade and of course carbon wheels.

I suppose if you are going to change all the parts the 9.6 is the way to go.
    Yes. The carbon wheels alone are worth $1500+. You also get better cranks, drive train and brakes. I have the guide brakes on my bike and I love them. If you can afford it, go with the 9.8

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    Never had carbon wheels or the carbon steerer. How will they hold up to a bigger guy? This would be my most expensive bike ever so I am a little nervous about pulling the trigger.
    They will be as durable or more durable than alloy. Being a bigger guy you will appreciate the additional wheel stiffness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well looks like you guys sold me on the 9.8. Hopefully by Wednesday next week I have a new badass bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    FWIW I think the 7 with a 29+ wheel set for summer, or when you're in the mood for that is the sweet spot. That's the route I'm taking. This way I can run 3.8" to 4.8" on the stock rims, then 29+ sometimes. Huge tire selection, Max versatility.

I think the 27.5 rims should have been 65mm to maximize the mass advantage. As it stands, I'm not going to bother with them since tire selection is also an issue.

For what I'm spending on upgrades I can easily get one of the 9's. I just keep coming back to the 7 FTW.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There may be lots of choice in the 26 fat but 27.5 fat will increase. I imagine(hope) Kenda and Maxxis will use interbike to release their 27.5x4 tires.

The Hodag was/is a quality tire at 26" so I think it will remain quality at 27.5. I'm confused as to why Bontrager didn't release their new tire models in 27.5.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Perhaps, but you're still left with an 80mm rim when narrower would be better.
    See here's the 'problem' as I see it - and there really isn't a problem strictly speaking - these are nice bikes. What I see as the issue, or the less than ideal situation though is that Trek had an idea about making a faster wheel set, but they didn't take it far enough. They stopped short of taking their own logic to it's conclusion. They're attempting to straddle 2 different modes here in an effort to stay fat, but go faster.

What they should have done IMHO is gone with a 65mm, 27.5 wheel and a true to size 3.5" Hodag or Chuppie, or similar tire. THAT would make this whole 27.5 "fast" thing worthwhile. Or even a 65mm rim with the 4" Hodag tire - when as it stands it's simply a limitation the way I see it. Less than ideal tire profile (still fine, just not ideal) lower sidewall, wider rim than needed (heavier than need be) and not quite fat enough for softer snow conditions, but yet not as fast as it could be for dry conditions. Too much hedging bets here, and scored well, but missed the bullseye slightly with the 9's - again IMHO. I could ride one and be happy with it - still nice bikes, but the money shot for bang/buck and versatility is the 7 with a second wheel set. Or just leave it.

I'm waiting for Interbike, and if someone steps up with a nice but reasonable 65mm rim (think Mulefut) then that will be my second wheel set instead of the 29+. We'll see.

Also waiting to see what, if anything happens with fat suspension forks. I feel like I might screw myself if I pull the trigger on a Bluto right now, and still convinced I even want squish anyway.
    Last edited by Gambit21; 09-04-2015 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I disagree with that. 80 mm rim will be faster in the winter on all but the hardest snow conditions and 29+ will be better in the summer in my opinion. And I hope the 27.5 is popular enough for others to release tires soon. Imagine a set of 27.5, 80 mm wide rims with a flowbeist and dunderbeist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Not really the point, nor does it relate to what I typed... but no matter. I hope more tires come along in that category as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by [TA] View Post
    29+ will fit the 2016 Farley just fine.
    I thought so but when I email T-wreck directly I was told to look at the Stache and that 29+ would not fit the Farley. Odd.

Pure Evil
    They're probably thinking of the 2014-15 bike. 29+ will not fit the first GEN Farley. As the guy who designed both the Farley and Stache I assure you 29+ has gobs of room with the sliders all the way back and enough for dry conditions with them forward.

Stalk me on Instagram

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I believe you. Perhaps the customer service folks just made an error.

Job well done on the Stache/Farley! Haven't looked at Trek (after riding for 30 years) since my 2011 Rig. I might be back on board.

Keep it up TA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Oh, and TA why no love for the tall folks? Likely not your call but I found the XL Stache to be too small. Short, low, and cramped. Maybe an XXL? The numbers seem similar to the Krampus but that frame feels better. Doesn't ride better though.

Haven't had a chance to ride a 16' Farley. Will it feel bigger? More stack and reach might be nice.

I'm 5'18" for reference.

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen a 9.6 in stores yet

If not, do we have a date for when they should be arriving?

Also, is there a weight posted for the 9.6 anywhere?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nope, nothing reliable, and nope.

mtbr member
    ^

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

couple pics of my 9.8

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-farley-29-plus.jpg
    with my 29 plus wheelset just to see if they would fit. They do.
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-stock-farley.jpg
    Stock at 22lbs setup Single Speed.

It is a 17.5" and an absolute blast to ride. i have not ridden it in 29+ as i dont have the right width hubs..........yet. i'd guess it will be around 20lbs setup that way. as my plus wheelset is 3lbs lighter than the wampas with hodags.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    22lbs......with pedals? Tubeless? Single speed....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What, how did you get yours! I preordered mine in May! I hate you, only because I am jealous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Took my Farley 5 out for its first spin today. Did some off-road trails and a single track. Coming from a junker Target bike, I'm absolutely blown away by the quality. It's such a blast. Can't wait to go out on my next ride. What do you guys think about going tubeless?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nobody on this board would recommend going tubeless.

Tubeless is cool. Does the 5 have the Mulefut rims? If so should be easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    OK. I got off my lazy *ss, and looked at the spec's for the 5. They do come with the Mulefut 80's. Good thread on tubeless set up: My tubeless conversion experience Mule FUT with Maxxis Mammoth

nuf said here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I had my LBS order the goods already to make it tubeless, but I haven't had the time to get it in the shop to have them do it yet. I'm a bit concerned with the maintenance I'm reading about with tubeless and temperature changes. Should I give it a try or stick with tubes? Anyone else going go tubeless?

Thanks for that link krapper. I read through it, but I'm not sold yet. I'm afraid of potential flats and temperature drops affecting the sealant. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Silver2ks4-

Have you ridden much dirt yet? What's your initial thoughts on the 27.5s and how they ride? Did you have a 26" fatbike before tis as well to compare them to?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mkdiehl View Post
    22lbs......with pedals? Tubeless? Single speed....
    yes to all of the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Photo View Post
    Silver2ks4-

Have you ridden much dirt yet? What's your initial thoughts on the 27.5s and how they ride? Did you have a 26" fatbike before tis as well to compare them to?
    they ride very well. Tons of cornering grip and very predictable with minimal self steer. my only other fatbike experience was a weekend with a geared beargrease on 26 x 3.8 knards. both bikes are equally fun and handle about the same. the knards seamed to roll a little better from what i remember.

mtbr member
    thanks. will be intereted in your thoughts on 29+ vs 27.5x4... im guessing the diameter of the wheels are within mm....kinda isolating the tyre effect. bike looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by silver2ks4 View Post
    yes to all of the above.

they ride very well. Tons of cornering grip and very predictable with minimal self steer. my only other fatbike experience was a weekend with a geared beargrease on 26 x 3.8 knards. both bikes are equally fun and handle about the same. the knards seamed to roll a little better from what i remember.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moshock View Post
    I had my LBS order the goods already to make it tubeless, but I haven't had the time to get it in the shop to have them do it yet. I'm a bit concerned with the maintenance I'm reading about with tubeless and temperature changes. Should I give it a try or stick with tubes? Anyone else going go tubeless?

Thanks for that link krapper. I read through it, but I'm not sold yet. I'm afraid of potential flats and temperature drops affecting the sealant. Thoughts?
    Before you opt out of tubeless because of concerns about cold weather, check out this Bike Rumor link: Tire Pressure and the Cold: Bontrager?s PSI Conversion Chart Will Keep You Inflated This Winter

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The difference is about .5" in diameter. comparing to my Gnarvester the Gnar is a rocket ship in straight line speed and flowy single track. the Farley handles tighter trails better and with the plus wheels only raising the bb .25" i think it is gonna be the better bike overall. plus its 4lbs lighter than the gnar now but the gnar does have an MRP stage on it. i cant wait to put some plus wheels on the Farley.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    thanks. will be intereted in your thoughts on 29+ vs 27.5x4... im guessing the diameter of the wheels are within mm....kinda isolating the tyre effect. bike looks good!
    29+ effectively keeps the outer diameter of the wheels the same - Chupies on 50mm Mulefuts are only 3mm larger/outer diameter. So things stay basically the same as the stock setup. Going with 27.5+ will lower the bottom bracket by a larger degree -still most likely not a problem, but measurably different than the stock setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey all, I just called my LBS and asked them if they knew when my 7 was showing up. They came back with Nov 2nd! Anyone else have some better intel on this? This will be my first fatbike and I am super stoked to ride the crap out of this thing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My LBS in regional Aus just notified me that my new Farley 5 has been built up. Dead keen to pick it up & go ride. Trips planned are a short one to catch the tail end of our highly variable snow season in the High Country, then a beach-biking cruise with the fam to South Aus's Limestone coast in November.
    I see fat bikes as the legit evolution of the true all-terrain bike from a retro-grouch perspective, for back country exploring rather than racing and high-buck sponsored exposure such as racing and Red Bull events.
    With developments beyond the obvious tyre & rim technology, such as hydroformed alu frames, sealed bearings, hydraulic discs and dry type chain lubes rather than long travel & multi pivot full suspension, the fat bike keeps it real in the original spirit of just ridin' around.
    Anyway, 'nuff cogitating: time to go and ride!!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast