Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Results 1,801 to 1,891 of 1891
    oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Here's a photo of what I did... not perfect but it is waterproof. :-)

This did require drilling out the derailer outlet (which I'll never use as my bike is 1/12) which surprisingly is metal and was difficult to drill (I couldn't get a clamp to hold it right in my drill press so had to hand massage it).

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    66 degrees on the trail today - crazy Feb temps for Colorado and supposed to be over 70 tomorrow!

Had to play hooky for a few hours :-)

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Maybe a Suspension fork is in your future? It's in mine for sure for a few reasons. To relax or bring up the front end of the bike. Also to provide some cushy body relieving trak
    Maybe

I'm still torn between a Lauf (which would keep the bike lighter) and a Bluto... or leaving the bike in its super light mode that it is now. I haven't been able to decide yet.
    I am fortunate to also have a full suspension Yeti SB95C for when I am going to ride rougher stuff.

After today's ride (16 miles, 2100 ft of climbing) I am pretty happy with the HDH bars; even at the full 800mm today they felt great! (I'm a pretty big guy... not sure if I'm going to trim them or not). Really helped the geometry match me better.. the bike is finally coming together and fitting me how I want it.

If anyone wants to buy the fancy 9.9 seat, carbon seat post, carbon bars or carbon steering stem let me know :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Maybe

I'm still torn between a Lauf (which would keep the bike lighter) and a Bluto... or leaving the bike in its super light mode that it is now. I haven't been able to decide yet.
    I am fortunate to also have a full suspension Yeti SB95C for when I am going to ride rougher stuff.

After today's ride (16 miles, 2100 ft of climbing) I am pretty happy with the HDH bars; even at the full 800mm today they felt great! (I'm a pretty big guy... not sure if I'm going to trim them or not). Really helped the geometry match me better.. the bike is finally coming together and fitting me how I want it.

If anyone wants to buy the fancy 9.9 seat, carbon seat post, carbon bars or carbon steering stem let me know :-)
    The Wren suspension fork, though heavier, has been getting rave reviews. It would work with the 27.5 x 4.5 tires too. If you're only gonna run 27.5 x 3.8 tires with suspension, I'm thinking the Fox 34 27.5 would be a great choice too. I have a Bluto w/RCT on another bike and its underwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quick question. I have a 2016 9.6 and was toying around with getting a carbon crankset. What are the specs I need to look for? I can't find them on treks website, they are a bit vague about actual numbers. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=Geek;13034272]66 degrees on the trail today

That is so freaking cool dude. Wow. Sweet bike, sweet weather, sweet scenery. You're a lucky dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quick question. I have a 2016 9.6 and was toying around with getting a carbon crankset. What are the specs I need to look for? I can't find them on treks website, they are a bit vague about actual numbers. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I new the 27.5 x 4.5 were big I just didn't realize how big they were.

Also had the local bike shop replace the stock wheels with a set 27.5 Jackalopes. Going to give the 27.5 rims a try before swap the hub on my HED wheel set. Who knows I may like 27.5 more then 26

These will also double as my Winter wheel set if we ever see snow again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've searched through the threads. What is the best chainring to get for optimal chainline? I want a 32T. The reverse dish Wolftooth only comes in a 30. I was told I can get the CAMO system from Wolftooth. Or just buy a normal RaceFace Cinch 32t? What has worked? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyniner29 View Post
    I've searched through the threads. What is the best chainring to get for optimal chainline? I want a 32T. The reverse dish Wolftooth only comes in a 30. I was told I can get the CAMO system from Wolftooth. Or just buy a normal RaceFace Cinch 32t? What has worked? Thanks!
    If you want an oval ring, it has to be specified as a reverse dish, so very few options available. If you want a standard round ring, any Cinch ring will work as long as you mount it reversed. Not sure how big you can go before there is clearance issues though. Stock is 28 I believe, and I run a 26 so I have tons of room.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    I'm running the Absoluteblack oval with the XX1 eagle setup. It has a +6 offset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yea, I want a round 32t. So all round Cinch rings are offset? It's just not listed in the specs?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how much the stock AL fork on the 2016 Farley 5 (probably same as 2017 Farley 5) weighs?

2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yea, I want a round 32t. So all round Cinch rings are offset? It's just not listed in the specs?
    I run a 32 cinch flipped and it fits fine. No issues.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Absolute Black's Oval for Boost Cinch works best. Read near bottom for fat specifics:
    https://absoluteblack.cc/raceface-ov...inch-chainring

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Does anyone know how much the stock AL fork on the 2016 Farley 5 (probably same as 2017 Farley 5) weighs?
    Stock fork, less crown race, but incl. +20 brake adapter & caliper bolts 1087g

(2016 Farley 5 17.5")

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have dilemma. I can't decide which Farley to get. Money is always a object but there is no sense to buy crappy bike.

1. -16 Farley 5 is 1370€ (almost same amount in $): alu frame, 10x, avid db1, 26x4,7" 80mm Mulefuts and aluminium fork
    2. -17 Farley 7 is 2099€: alu frame, 11x, sram level, 26x4,7" 80mm Mulefuts and carbon fork (difference to Farley 5 carbon fork, little bit better brakes and 11x)
    3. -16 Farley 9.6 is 2028€: carbon frame, 11x, avid db3, 27,5x4" 80mm Jackalopes and carbon fork (difference to Farley 7 carbon frame, brakes, Jackalope rims and 27,5x4" types).

Which you would take? -16 Farley 7 would be best for me but they didn't import it to Europe at 2016.
    Last edited by Tctic; 02-16-2017 at 06:00 AM.

mtbr member
    I would buy the 9.6 if the $600 wasn't an issue.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tctic View Post
    I have dilemma. I can't decide which Farley to get. Money is always a object but there is no sense to buy crappy bike.

1. -16 Farley 5 is 1370€ (almost same amount in $): alu frame, 10x, avid db1, 26x4,7" 80mm Mulefuts and aluminium fork
    2. -17 Farley 7 is 2099€: alu frame, 11x, sram level, 26x4,7" 80mm Mulefuts and carbon fork (difference to Farley 5 carbon fork, little bit better brakes and 11x)
    3. -16 Farley 9.6 is 2028€: carbon frame, 11x, avid db3, 27,5x4" 80mm Jackalopes and carbon fork (difference to Farley 7 carbon frame, brakes, Jackalope rims and 27,5x4" types).

Which you would take? -16 Farley 7 would be best for me but they didn't import it to Europe at 2016.
    #3. That's a really good price for a 9.6 if I did the math right on the currency conversion and it's a *lot* more bike. I'm a big fan of the 27.5" format at 3.8" and even more so at 4.5" tires for snow and sand.

I have a 9.8 and I'm really amazed at how quick and nimble the bike is. Part of that is the carbon frame and part of that is the geometry. But my biggest reason for buying the Trek Farley was the tire format and so far that decision has turned out to be a very good one. Trek's research into rims and tires at that size is spot on at least in my application.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    IMO humble opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, the 9.6 is the best bang for the buck anywhere on a fatbike. Which would explain why they sold every one already, or at least that's what I was told anyway. If it's true, that's quite a feat considering so many companies are struggling with fatbike sales right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterg View Post
    Stock fork, less crown race, but incl. +20 brake adapter & caliper bolts 1087g

(2016 Farley 5 17.5")
    Thanks! I mean I own the F5 but no scales and wondering if a replacement carbon fork is worth it for the weight savings. At the moment the only one I would consider (if I came into a small fortune) would be the Lauf Carbonara which is listed as "sub" 1100g so not that much different. I'm quite happy with rigid at the moment.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tctic View Post

I had the exact same dilemma. I went to my local Trek dealer and he said he could get any of them, then looked it up on the system and the 7 didn't appear for him. It was the one I wanted due to slightly higher spec and carbon fork but I was a bit hesitant on the colour. The '16 F7 was a bright purple which I liked but not sure how long I would like it for.
    The 5 is an awesome bike but Trek seriously f***ed up putting a 135mm hub/fork on it...more so cos they are in my mind leading a lot of the fat bike standards (eg sliding dropouts. variable wheel sizes). It was obviously done as a cost saving exercise. I'm already thinking about upgrading mine (probably fork, brakes and tyres next) so as one of the other guys has said...I would go with the 9.6. I'm kind of baffled why BOTH the 2016/17 F7's aren't being imported to Europe. Weird.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Anyone come across any recent frame bags that fit the 19.5" frame really well? I have a Blackburn medium expandable one but it doesn't fill the frame well and I find is limited space wise.. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Broke my rear hub again today. 2nd one to go on Farley 7. Trek warrantied first one 8months ago.

What is a bulletproof hub? I was thinking of The DT Swiss 350 Big Ride? I would love a silent Onyx hub but too rich for my blood.

DT Swiss 350:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80813

What about Novatech?
    https://www.amazon.com/Novatec-D202S.../dp/B015MTZCJM

Or Hope?

Hate the i9 killer bee buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by geop View Post
    From July 2016: My rear hub locked up on Saturday. One pawl partially broke as well. LBS mechanic couldn't find a pawl rebuild kit listing. Price is $150CDN for a new freehub. I insisted a warranty claim as it is barely 2 months old.
    Last edited by geop; 02-20-2017 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I can't find it anywhere, what is Farley 7 seatclamp size?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettanfinland View Post
    I can't find it anywhere, what is Farley 7 seatclamp size?

mtbr member
    Broke my rear hub again today. 2nd one to go on Farley 7. Trek warrantied first one 8months ago.

What is a bulletproof hub? I was thinking of The DT Swiss 350 Big Ride? I would love a silent Onyx hub but too rich for my blood.

DT Swiss 350:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80813
    Here is my freehub. One pawl is shaved off. The hub bangs everytime I crank on it uphill. Dealer has pawl kit for me.

I would suggest everyone check their freehub. Mine was fairly/farley dirty. Easy enough to remove, clean and regrease.

But I plan to upgrade the hub to a DT Swiss 350 Big Ride soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-freehub-feb2017.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I was able to snag a 2017 9.6 on Monday!

I called about 9 LBS all of them laughed and said they sold their last one months ago - that Trek is no longer making them and that the 18's will be out over the summer.

The 10th dealer I almost didn't call - but glad I did, they had one 19.5 left!

So far got a few runs in - nasty rock gardens, roots, gravel, steep climbs wet leaves, and narrow single track - the bike is so freaking fun to ride and climbs way better than I thought it would.

I am running 9psi in back and 8psi in front that I need to drop asap - I was bouncing a tad more than I wanted. Going to wait until the 30 day service to go tubeless and just learn the bike until then.

Any tips or must have add-ons (seat post dropper is soon too) I should know about with this carbon frame?

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes

Here is my freehub. One pawl is shaved off. The hub bangs everytime I crank on it uphill. Dealer has pawl kit for me.

I would suggest everyone check their freehub. Mine was fairly/farley dirty. Easy enough to remove, clean and regrease.

But I plan to upgrade the hub to a DT Swiss 350 Big Ride soon.
    Blew my 6s twice in one winter, got a dt on it over the following summer. Ive been harder on it than ever and zero issues. 18t is sturdier, quiet. 36t and 54t (52?) buzz like bees but can possibly chip ( not easy tho) The ease of changing the ratchet too less is amazing.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDP View Post
    I was able to snag a 2017 9.6 on Monday!

I called about 9 LBS all of them laughed and said they sold their last one months ago - that Trek is no longer making them and that the 18's will be out over the summer.

The 10th dealer I almost didn't call - but glad I did, they had one 19.5 left!

So far got a few runs in - nasty rock gardens, roots, gravel, steep climbs wet leaves, and narrow single track - the bike is so freaking fun to ride and climbs way better than I thought it would.

I am running 9psi in back and 8psi in front that I need to drop asap - I was bouncing a tad more than I wanted. Going to wait until the 30 day service to go tubeless and just learn the bike until then.

Any tips or must have add-ons (seat post dropper is soon too) I should know about with this carbon frame?

Thanks everyone!
    Slam that back wheel forward, tubeless, ride the snot out of it.

mtbr member
    [Being lazy] How do you remove it? [/Being lazy]

I suspect the bearings are on the way out on mine - it grumbles a bit when back pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I run a 32 cinch flipped and it fits fine. No issues.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    i have a 28t Flipped, there is about 5mm clearance, i thought i can not have gone bigger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20170226_143606.jpg  

16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Slam that back wheel forward, tubeless, ride the snot out of it.
    YES sir!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    i have a 28t Flipped, there is about 5mm clearance, i thought i can not have gone bigger
    Running Wolftooth CAMO with a 32 at the moment.

mtbr member
    [Being lazy] How do you remove it? [/Being lazy]

I suspect the bearings are on the way out on mine - it grumbles a bit when back pedaling.
    Remove the cassette with a standard chain whip and lockring tool. The freehub slides right off.

mtbr member
    Cheers bud!

mtbr member
    OK, if you're as dumb as me, you might need someone to tell you that the freehub won't come off until you've taken the end cap off - the bit with the hole in here:

It just pushes on, but even with the nail, I couldn't move the cap without resorting to levering against the freehub with a screwdriver. It was well and truly stuck in place.

My pawls are intact (thank goodness), but there was very little lubrication left:

and a lot of rust / fretting

Everything cleaned up OK and still seems in serviceable condition:

Don't lose the spacer!

I lubed the pawls with some heavy gear oil put everything back together and it is working fine. The bearings in the freehub are fine - the grumbling noise I was hearing was the dork disc rubbing on the spokes

Thanks to Geop for a timely reminder - thankfully my freeehub is OK, but it was definitely in need of some maintenance.

mtbr member
    Hmmm... I had my hub come off while shaking the sealant around in my tire this week... Maybe I should look into that a little...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Well, I Bluto'ed my Farley 7 and threw on the 29+ summer setup.

I rode the wheels last year and loved them, added the squish this year for a bit more comfort.

It's an RL 100mm travel.

Name:  IMG_1198-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1286
Size:  53.3 KBName:  IMG_1197-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1304
Size:  64.8 KBName:  IMG_1195-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1298
Size:  64.0 KBName:  IMG_1190-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1291
Size:  49.0 KBName:  IMG_1189-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1296
Size:  59.8 KBName:  IMG_1188-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1283
Size:  61.0 KB
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Well, I Bluto'ed my Farley 7 and threw on the 29+ summer setup.

I rode the wheels last year and loved them, added the squish this year for a bit more comfort.

It's an RL 100mm travel.

Name:  IMG_1198-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1286
Size:  53.3 KBName:  IMG_1197-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1304
Size:  64.8 KBName:  IMG_1195-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1298
Size:  64.0 KBName:  IMG_1190-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1291
Size:  49.0 KBName:  IMG_1189-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1296
Size:  59.8 KBName:  IMG_1188-27-03-17-09-57.jpeg
Views: 1283
Size:  61.0 KB
    Nice!

How does she ride????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Nice!

How does she ride????

Thanks!

I haven't got a ride in yet due to the weather. Tons of rain
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone know how large of a front chainring will fit on a 9.8 (flipped chainring on cinch crankset spindle for 170 rear).

With 11-46 and 11-50 cassettes becoming more prevalent, I am considering going to a 36t front chainring, but not sure it will fit without hitting the​ chainstay.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Anyone know how large of a front chainring will fit on a 9.8 (flipped chainring on cinch crankset spindle for 170 rear).

With 11-46 and 11-50 cassettes becoming more prevalent, I am considering going to a 36t front chainring, but not sure it will fit without hitting the​ chainstay.

34 is the biggest.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LunchRider View Post
    34 is the biggest.

When I had a 9.8 I used a 36th oval ring no issues with a 9-44 cassette.

mtbr member
    Oh nice, didn't know that. Why did you get rid of your 9.8?

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hello,

I'm looking at a used 2016 9.6 locally. They don't know the frame size. Would the traditional center of BB to top of seat tube measurement be accurate on this bike? I'm thinking it's either 15.5" or 17.5"

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If you go to trekbikes.com and pull up the page for the Farley 9.6, it has detailed measurements for every dimension of the frame. '16 and '17 are the same frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty39 View Post
    If you go to trekbikes.com and pull up the page for the Farley 9.6, it has detailed measurements for every dimension of the frame. '16 and '17 are the same frame.
    Thanks bud! That helped. It's a 17.5"
    I closed the deal this morning. It was at a pawn shop stickered for $1295. I offered a grand plus tax and walked out the door.

More details later. Need to de-sticker it. Some kid put a bunch of crappy stickers on it.

First fat bike for me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My third bottom bracket on my 2016 9.8 is starting to make that dreaded creaking noise. Two Racaface that are spec'd and an Enduro replacement. Anyone have any suggestions for better ones than the Enduro ones that fit the 9.8?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

I'm new, so mind my ignorance. But i am building a 29+ set for my farley, and these fit the price nicely.....yet they say shimano drive, not XD....

will these work with the my 2016 farley 7 with the SRAM GX1?

thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Has anyone tried the Wheels Manufacturing threaded together Pressfit 41mm Abec-3 Fat Bike Bottom Bracket in a Farley 9.8 or similar bike? I am fed up with the creaking from the press fit bottom bracket. I have tried two of the race face bottom brackets and one Enduro bottom bracket. All have ended up creaking within a few short months. I was wondering if these new bottom brackets that thread together at the sleeve will eliminate these creaks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post
    I'm new, so mind my ignorance. But i am building a 29+ set for my farley, and these fit the price nicely.....yet they say shimano drive, not XD....

will these work with the my 2016 farley 7 with the SRAM GX1?

thank you
    No. hub needs to be XD Driver/freehub. Search Amazon for a Novatec 197 with XD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm trying to hold out for a 18 Farley 9.8 BUT man I saw a few 16 and 17 Farley's marked down at a LBS and I was shaking for the credit card....I swear, if the 16 purple was a 19.5 and not a 15 whatever...It was sooo cheap I woulda been walking out the door with it and ordering up a set of wheels!
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata CC
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9 (Building!)

mtbr member
    Has anyone had any experience of the 4.7 Barbs warping or going out of shape on the F5. I noticed a definite wobble in my front on last 2 rides and noticed that there's a slight gap between the bead where logo is and rim (just a couple mm). Running tubes & not had a chance to investigate yet but I'm also thinking it's more likely the rim has been slightly bent/not true and then that's causing the tyre deformation. I was execting 80mm Mulefuts to be rock solid but I guess like any bike rim they can go out. I've no real experience of truing wheels other than the odd minor spoke adjustment. Is there anything additional I need to know when truing fat bike rims? Same principles I would assume.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Same principles apply. If you are using a truing stand I has to fit a fat wheel.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Same principles apply. If you are using a truing stand I has to fit a fat wheel.
    my mate has a truing stand that has adapters to take fat rim. I'm probably gonna have to try it in front fork upside down with elastic band & pencil or something.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Have you spun it to see if any visible damage? The pencil thing is ok but only so accurate. Good luck.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Have you spun it to see if any visible damage? The pencil thing is ok but only so accurate. Good luck.
    Yep, just set up 2 zip ties on either side of forks & span front. Definitely out a bit pulling to one side & also vertically (if that's the right term) so the rim in being stretched out of a perfect circle so that's what's causing the tyre bob. I had limited light but checked rear & it's also out ever so slightly. I'm surprised these have untrued themselves so easily. Not like I've been doing gap jumps...mostly XC/natural trails. Due to run this bike in its first race on Sunday but gonna switch to my Anthem & not risk damaging rims further until I can spend some time & get it fixed properly.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member

I seen the 2018 farley 5 and 7. Pretty sweet upgrades.

27.5"
    Gnarwhals.

7 has mastodon and nx now
    5 has 1x10 deore and the carbon fork.

No word on the carbons or ex bikes. My LBS said its probably a change and they are waiting on something.

Hoping they changed the hubs! The rep was kind of shocked i had so much trouble with mine.

I hope so bad they their new rapid drive hubs like their new kovees. Even if they are 3 pawls ill add 3 more to make them 6. Hard to buy a bike and need to upgrade the hub right away. My dt 350 cost me $500+ in canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I finally ordered a 100mm Bluto RTC to put on my '16 Farley 9.6 several weeks ago. I wish that I'd have done it last May (2016) when I bought the bike new. It was easy to put on, though the part where I got out my hacksaw and removed 4 inches off the steering tube made me nervous. The last couple of weeks of technical trail riding have been a pleasure. The first trip out was an adjustment, in that I was used to the flickability of the stock carbon fork. That 5# weight difference was noticeable to say the least! But once I got used to being able to plow through rock gardens and run into short ledges without lifting the front end, there was no looking back. I LOVE IT!!!

I had a brand new EX8 at the checkout counter of my LBS right before I ordered the Bluto, but had forgotten my credit card. The EX was on sale for $2,800. I'm SO glad that I had a cool off period where I decided to try the fork upgrade instead. The EX would have been a great bike, but noticeably heavier and I just don't need two fat bikes of that caliber. The Bluto made my 9.6 the perfect bike for me. I've been putting lots of miles on it lately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I am planning to put a Manitou Magnum Pro (or Yari) 120mm fork with 29"+ wheels and 3" tires on my new Farley 7 for summer riding. While Farley feels great on natural trails, I am not very happy how it rolls on dirt roads and gravel (bikepacking is my thing).

I am not sure if this fork will fit the frame. So I could use a little help regarding converting my Farley 7 to 29"+ summer fatbike. Also, I would like to learn a good options for wheels/tires to consider. Not sure should I look for a wheelset or should buy rims/hubs separately? Another topic - which 3" tires I should get? Are Bontrager Chupacabra's a decent choice?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    I am planning to put a Manitou Magnum Pro (or Yari) 120mm fork with 29"+ wheels and 3" tires on my new Farley 7 for summer riding. While Farley feels great on natural trails, I am not very happy how it rolls on dirt roads and gravel (bikepacking is my thing).

I am not sure if this fork will fit the frame. So I could use a little help regarding converting my Farley 7 to 29"+ summer fatbike. Also, I would like to learn a good options for wheels/tires to consider. Not sure should I look for a wheelset or should buy rims/hubs separately? Another topic - which 3" tires I should get? Are Bontrager Chupacabra's a decent choice?
    Last year I put a Magnum 100mm travel fork on my Farley 9.6 with no issues. Considered the 120 but opted to be conservative and try to match the stock geometry in the sagged position.
    I built the wheels up using I9 hubs and Nextie carbon rims. Used the Chupacabra's based on reviews, and have been happy with them, but no tire excels at everything so likely condition dependent. Don't know if there are more options for 3" 29+ tires now compared to last year. The bike lost over 2 lbs with weight savings from the wheels and weight addition of the fork. Quite happy with this for spring/summer/fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JackP42 View Post
    Last year I put a Magnum 100mm travel fork on my Farley 9.6 with no issues. Considered the 120 but opted to be conservative and try to match the stock geometry in the sagged position.
    I built the wheels up using I9 hubs and Nextie carbon rims. Used the Chupacabra's based on reviews, and have been happy with them, but no tire excels at everything so likely condition dependent. Don't know if there are more options for 3" 29+ tires now compared to last year. The bike lost over 2 lbs with weight savings from the wheels and weight addition of the fork. Quite happy with this for spring/summer/fall.
    Thanks, JackP42. You're probably right, I should consider buying a 100mm fork rather than 120mm. I read that 120mm raises bike front a lot. Still not sure I want carbon rims. What model of Nextie rims you have? For the hubs - I am thinking to use Hope Pro 4.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks, JackP42. You're probably right, I should consider buying a 100mm fork rather than 120mm. I read that 120mm raises bike front a lot. Still not sure I want carbon rims. What model of Nextie rims you have? For the hubs - I am thinking to use Hope Pro 4.

Check the axle to crown height on the fork that Trek uses on the Farley models equipped with the Bluto and compare to the fork you are thinking of. I think you'll find the 120 Magnum is a fair bit longer. This will slacken the bike and raise the BB. Depending on your riding might be good or might compromise the bike.
    The Nextie rims I went with are these: [NXT29JF52-II] [Jungle Fox II] 52mm Width Carbon Semi-Fat MTB 29+ Rim Hookless Tubeless Compatible 29-52mm | 34mm Depth | 530g | Tubeless | Tire 3.0~3.8" | AM / Enduro | 3.5mm Rim Lip Thickness

MN/WI
    I see that the new version of the 9.8 is being spec'd with the dropper post.

"Bontrager Drop Line 125, internal routing, 31.6mm (15.5: Drop Line 100)"
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member

27.5"
    Gnarwhals.

5 has 1x10 deore and the carbon fork.

No word on the carbons or ex bikes. My LBS said its probably a change and they are waiting on something.

Hoping they changed the hubs! The rep was kind of shocked i had so much trouble with mine.

I hope so bad they their new rapid drive hubs like their new kovees. Even if they are 3 pawls ill add 3 more to make them 6. Hard to buy a bike and need to upgrade the hub right away. My dt 350 cost me $500+ in canada
    Can you post a link to this?

I am totally getting the new 7 or 9.6 if they are spec'd with a Mastodon and the 27.5 x 4.5 wheels & tires. I would want better than NX though.

I was thinking of upgrading to this 2017 9.6 and getting a Mastodon but maybe I'll hold off for a 2018
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

27.5"
    Gnarwhals.

The Mastodon on the 7 is going to be a Comp model. No idea on travel....but I'd guess 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    I finally ordered a 100mm Bluto RTC to put on my '16 Farley 9.6 several weeks ago. I wish that I'd have done it last May (2016) when I bought the bike new. The first trip out was an adjustment, in that I was used to the flickability of the stock carbon fork. That 5# weight difference was noticeable to say the least! But once I got used to being able to plow through rock gardens and run into short ledges without lifting the front end, there was no looking back. I LOVE IT!!!.
    I think it ads more like 2.5 pounds...i recently added one as well to my 7. Running 29+ though, the weight savings in the wheels more than makes up for it.

29+ fits fine even with the dropout all the way forward. I have 35 mm internal carbon rims with Chupas and really like the setup. they have far better than grip then you would think they would just by looking at them.
    Last edited by Swerny; 6 Days Ago at 04:33 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Need help again. Hit the lying trunk with a right pedal today, it was slightly skewed after that and off the thread. When I unscrewed the pedal it completely destroyed the thread on Race Face Aeffect crack arm! Pedal thread was ok though (Hope F20).

I need to replace crank arm now - what options do I have? Am I stuck with Race Face cinch direct mount crank arms only? I was thinking about Hope crank arms.

mtbr member
    Can you post a link to this?

I am totally getting the new 7 or 9.6 if they are spec'd with a Mastodon and the 27.5 x 4.5 wheels & tires. I would want better than NX though.

I was thinking of upgrading to this 2017 9.6 and getting a Mastodon but maybe I'll hold off for a 2018

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It comes with a Mastodon Comp set at 80mm

mtbr member
    Need help again. Hit the lying trunk with a right pedal today, it was slightly skewed after that and off the thread. When I unscrewed the pedal it completely destroyed the thread on Race Face Aeffect crack arm! Pedal thread was ok though (Hope F20).
    Your LBS may be able to repair the crank with something like this:

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-396_487_145_g.png

https://www.vartools.com/en/9-16-x20...t-var-p396.php

I have a set, but I'm a long way away! They work well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Makes sense. I was doing some math and i came to the conclusion it would need a 80mm extended.

The ex then will need to be 100mm or some frame tweeking to run 120, also ive heard the dial hits the frame on the ex... maybe a knockblocker is needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Your LBS may be able to repair the crank with something like this:

https://www.vartools.com/en/9-16-x20...t-var-p396.php

I have a set, but I'm a long way away! They work well.
    Thanks, will ask at my LBS. I can buy similar pedal thread repair kit here - Ice Toolz E521 - but it costs over $250, that's more than new Race Face Aeffect Crankset.

mtbr member
    Thanks, will ask at my LBS. I can buy similar pedal thread repair kit here - Ice Toolz E521 - but it costs over $250, that's more than new Race Face Aeffect Crankset.
    Yeah, it makes no sense to buy the kit for a one-off repair, but it is something a LBS might have.

mtbr member

Where the hell are the 2018 carbon bikes already trek....

mtbr member
    I'm disappointed to hear that it's set at 80 MM

Where the hell are the 2018 carbon bikes already trek....
    seriously.

The trek thread has shots of the new Fuel EX.....nobody has details for the rest of Farley lineup?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm disappointed to hear that it's set at 80 MM
    Unless it's some funky OEM spec fork....you can easily make it 100 in a few minutes with the removal of spacers on the air shaft.

mtbr member
    Unless it's some funky OEM spec fork....you can easily make it 100 in a few minutes with the removal of spacers on the air shaft.
    Yep, hopefully they will have allowed this. Used to be standard on RS Recons. You could give yourself 80/100/120. I got a 2011 Recon 100mm on my Anthem and was able to increase it to 120.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    100% correct and duly noted, but I hope that Trek isn't saying a longer fork than 80 MM would void the warranty.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    100% correct and duly noted, but I hope that Trek isn't saying a longer fork than 80 MM would void the warranty.
    I don't know why so many people have angst over voiding the warranty.
    What do you really think 20mm could do to a frame?
    You can swap it back to 80 in a few minutes.....and I doubt a rep would ever measure the travel of the fork.
    Now if you put a dual crown 8 inch fork on there....

mtbr member
    I did the math and the 80mm fork unless im of on my sag will sit lower than the carbon.

mtbr member

You can swap it back to 80 in a few minutes.....and I doubt a rep would ever measure the travel of the fork.
    Man people are nuts. Ive blown ball joints and cv joints like crazy on my leveled ram and dodge fixed it every time, no questions asked... i just, you know, didnt say it was leveled when i brought it in

20mm was added to the fork! Thats why the free hub blew and its not going to be replaced on warranty!

mtbr member
    I have never taken a fork apart, so i would likely have the shop do it for me, which would be the same shop i bought the bike from.

I'd hope the FRAME warranty would be OK if the headtube snapped as a result.

Man people are nuts. Ive blown ball joints and cv joints like crazy on my leveled ram and dodge fixed it every time, no questions asked... i just, you know, didnt say it was leveled when i brought it in

20mm was added to the fork! Thats why the free hub blew and its not going to be replaced on warranty!
    As per above, if i wasn't clear enough, I'm talking about a claim for the frame...not the freehub. There are enough stories of carbon frames snapping
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    I have never taken a fork apart, so i would likely have the shop do it for me, which would be the same shop i bought the bike from.

I'd hope the FRAME warranty would be OK if the headtube snapped as a result.

As per above, if i wasn't clear enough, I'm talking about a claim for the frame...not the freehub. There are enough stories of carbon frames snapping
    I know it was frame related, i was being snarky.

Any lbs would do the fork mods and most manufactures allow 20mm of travel added.

mtbr member
    Any lbs would do the fork mods and most manufactures allow 20mm of travel added.
    You are probably right.

Now....back to anxiously awaiting the rest of the 2018 Farley lineup
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    has anyone installed a matsdon on a farley 5 or 7? I wanna see if the tuning knobs clear the down tube
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFarleys View Post
    Sorry but I don't have a scale. Would be interesting to know though. Is there anyone else out there who would have both a 9 and a scale?
    anyone ever get a stock 9 weight

mtbr member
    Anyone any experience of Warranty claim with F5 or any model Farley with Trek UK? I know frames are Lifetime, but other Trek parts 2 years, can't see anything on wheels specifically. I've a pretty grindy noise from rear wheel/cassette when backpedalling which I hope is just misaligned chain/rear mech. Is there an easy way to test/ascertain this without disassembly of the rear hub? I've chucked it to a mechanic friend for a first opinion but he said if it is likely to be hub best for me to take it directly to reseller/Trek before he does any further work. Thanks

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just put a deposit on this bike, due in late Sep.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819