mtbr member
    Sep 2011

2016 Mukluk - am I the only one???

Have had my 2016 Mukluk X7 for sneaking up on two months now....starting to wonder if I'm the only one here with one?

2016 Mukluk - am I the only one???-2016_mukluk.jpg

This is the "new geometry" Mukluk, I've really enjoyed the rides I've had on it so far. Brought the 120tpi Vanhelgas home from the shop when I bought it, set up tubeless the next day....cut a bit over 3 lbs off the bike. (It came with wire bead 27tpi Nates.)

Going to pick up a frame bag for it next, have been considering the Salsa-branded Revelate bag. Anything else I should consider?

Jarrod

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That bag is great I have one and only time stuff gets wet is when u pressure was after muddy ride. Carbon bars can be expensive but weight savings and comfort are awesome

Sent from my LG-F370L using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a 2013musk and it only has like 3 stock parts on it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Good point on the carbon bars - a friend cut the 740mm carbon bars from his Beargrease down to about 700mm, then his bad wrist bugged him so he had to go to bars with more sweep. I relieved him of those and the Ergon grips he didn't care for.

I paid him what he asked, but they were so cheap I almost feel bad.....ALMOST.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I've got a banjo brothers bag. It's nice looking, not really big, but big enough for my needs, and cheap.

Frame Pack, Medium | Banjo Brothers

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ridehard84 View Post
    I have a 2013 muck and it only has like 3 stock parts on it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Edster75 View Post
    I've got a banjo brothers bag. It's nice looking, not really big, but big enough for my needs, and cheap.

Frame Pack, Medium | Banjo Brothers
    I have one of those on my Macho Man for gravel grinding - love it in that use case, but the size I have (might be a large) doesn't jive that well with the fat bike.

I'm generally a fan of the Banjo Brothers stuff - I gave up moving seat packs between bikes a couple years ago, and just buy a new Deluxe seat bag from those guys for each bike in the fleet (tweaking the size depending on tube needs - 700c bikes get the small, think the 29er has a large).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just received my bike on Monday, what a nice bike! Can't wait to go bikepacking with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Great looking bike! Congrats. You're right, not too many people posting on here about theirs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Looks good- I really like the orange rims.

How have the Vanhelgas been treating you. I've been very impressed with mine in the snow. Grip like a mini Bud, but roll pretty fast.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I like the Vanhelgas a LOT - they've treated me very well so far. Talked with a cycling friend last night about them, he just put a pair on and is in love with them as well.

I've got a race coming up this weekend that will likely be a bit icy. Hoping the weather cooperates to turn that course into something rideable without studs....will have to see how the Vanhelgas treat me in sketchier conditions, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm waiting on the Mukluk GX1 and starting to get a little excited, sounds like there was some supply chain issues getting these bikes out to the shops. I have not seen anyone with a black one yet (only demo bikes).

I did a test fit with the Salsa frame bag from my 2014 Mukluk, they have tweaked the frame a bit and it's not a perfect fit, but pretty close.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    I did a test fit with the Salsa frame bag from my 2014 Mukluk, they have tweaked the frame a bit and it's not a perfect fit, but pretty close.
    Knowing the geometry of the 2016 bikes changed a bit, this is the biggest thing I was wondering (and suspecting). Thanks for sharing.

In the end, I maybe should have looked harder at the GX1, but my LBS had the X7 bike in its queue....that kinda sealed the decision for me. (I had been shopping / thinking about a fat bike for almost a year, and was getting tired of waiting. )

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jigou View Post
    In the end, I maybe should have looked harder at the GX1, but my LBS had the X7 bike in its queue....that kinda sealed the decision for me. (I had been shopping / thinking about a fat bike for almost a year, and was getting tired of waiting. )
    I'm not sure if it's true, but I was told they had a hard time getting drive train parts and it stopped delivery, I'm in Canada and have not seen any at any dealers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That's interesting. I guess I wouldn't expect much problem on the drivetrain front....but anything is possible when waiting for the slow boat.

I DO know that Salsa delivers the pre-orders that their dealers put in first, then once all of those are delivered they open the remainder of the inventory for general ordering.

Mine was a pre-order. If yours was a special order by you after the window for the pre-order closed, THEN they had problems with drivetrain procurement....yuck.

Took mine for an hour ride in the snow today. Not to rub it in or anything...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I put together my 2016 Mukluk on the weekend, I weighed the frame before I assembled it, came in at 2285g for a large frame with alternator dropouts and seat clamp, this is a bit more than that last years frame that was 2100g.

2016 Mukluk - am I the only one???-20160131_123912.jpg2016 Mukluk - am I the only one???-20160131_123901.jpg2016 Mukluk - am I the only one???-20160131_201149.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi Jarrod
    You're not the only one. Mines 3 weeks old. How are your brakes? My brakes make a grinding/chattering noise? I've been told they need to break in but this does not seem normal. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nancy

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My brakes have been fine (although they get noisy in certain weather conditions....but so did everyone else's at the same time.)

The first thing I'd eyeball is looking at the rotor and brake caliper to make sure the caliper isn't rubbing on the rotor in any way. It SHOULDN'T be, but....

It's possible that a little break-in may resolve the issue. I'd go the top of a long-ish hill (doesn't need to be super steep) and lightly apply the brakes all the way down the hill a couple times. Optional would be to do a pretty hard braking sequence once or twice after that. (DO NOT launch yourself over the handlebars!!!)

If they're still acting funky after that, I'd take it back to the shop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks for the feedback. The rotor and calliper appear fine. After 2 trips to the shop they say it's likely due to the flex of the fork and the small clip that's at the bottom of the brake. Not very helpful. The grinding/chattering sound has lessened somewhat since I've ridden more but no one else's brakes sound like this. It's not a squealing sound. I'm riding in the snow. It appears to be the front break.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The pads have numerous fine scores on them. They've been lightly sanded, then some alcohol applied and to the rotor as well, thanks to my husband. Unable to test ride due to trail conditions. Here's hoping this works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy1 View Post
    The pads have numerous fine scores on them. They've been lightly sanded, then some alcohol applied and to the rotor as well, thanks to my husband. Unable to test ride due to trail conditions. Here's hoping this works.
    Most brakes have a bed-in process that isn't required, but sometimes helps.

It involves riding the bike up to good speed on flat road, then applying the brakes forcefully to stop quickly, but without skidding. Do this ~5 times. Should clean everything before if it's already been ridden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I've ridden the bike ~ 16 hours in icy conditions then mostly snow on trails. Initially lots of downhill breaking. After the sanding tried on the road briefly, (I've got studded tires and don't like to ride on the street) it seems ok, hard to say because the sound occurs always on the trails. I will try your suggestion. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I noticed mine making a little more racket than usual on Sunday when I took it for a slow ride with the kids. Maybe I'm a little hyper-sensitive due to this conversation, but it sure seemed like it was a little more cranky.

Will take it for a REAL ride soon and see if it helps. (Last ride prior to this noisy one was in 4+ inches of snow when everything with a disc was making squeals.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good luck and keep me posted. The trails are sheer ice here and I should be able to test the brakes Friday after the snow comes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The pad and rotor cleaning seemed to work. Brakes were quiet for the first time on Friday and I also did what tifanator said. The snow conditions were excellent great grip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    I put together my 2016 Mukluk on the weekend, I weighed the frame before I assembled it, came in at 2285g for a large frame with alternator dropouts and seat clamp, this is a bit more than that last years frame that was 2100g.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160131_123912.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	1046970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160131_123901.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	1046972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160131_201149.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	1046974
    Great looking bike! What wheels & tires did you go with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    2016 Mukluk - am I the only one???-img_0084.jpg
    Very happy with my Mukluk.

mtbr member
    The website says that the 2016 frame will handle up to 4.6 inch tires on 100mm rims. Is there room to squeeze 4.8s in there on 100mm rims?

The 2017 appears to be able to fit the fattest tire/rim combo.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Bump for experiences with this bike. The few folks here seem pumped. LBS has a closeout blue one.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Count me in as interested if a 5" tire like Bud or Lou can fit on the back of this bike, even if only on an 80mm rim. Salsa apparently blew through all the 2017 Mukluk's before they were even released.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Depends on the spec, I didn't have a problem getting one of the carbon ones but NX spec aluminum went real fast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    Depends on the spec, I didn't have a problem getting one of the carbon ones but NX spec aluminum went real fast
    I think you're talking about the 2017 Mukluks.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Yeah I'm curious how big of a tire can get slammed in the back of the 2016 Mukluk. Since the 2017 is a non-option, I'm looking at last years stuff on closeout. I like the idea of the narrower Q-factor, but I'm going to be doing a lot of snow riding and I'm about 190# geared up, so I'd like to cram a big ass tire back there if possible. If Lou isn't possible, I'm guessing (based on Salsa's spec) that Flow/Dunder on 100's will be an option and probably my go to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Depends on your setup, the tightest part is the chain on the easy gear in the back. If you go single speed or gear hub, then your options open up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I think you're talking about the 2017 Mukluks.
    Yes, was responding to the poster above me who said 2017 Mukluks were sold out. Perhaps in his area, but seems like we still have a good amount of them in the Denver . metro.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    What I meant was Salsa sold 100% of the aluminum Mukluk's during pre-season sales. Any shop that wasn't on board or any customer looking to order one is SOL.

mtbr member
    Here's mine. 1300 euros was too good a offer to pass (+400€ for the tyres )
    I did not like some of the stock parts though, so I promptly cannibalized my old fatty and track bike and now I'm quite satisfied with this. Of course the 2017 muk would have been fancier, but I have no idea whether it will be available here. Also if I remember correctly, the 2016 model has narrower q-factor than the new model which is good IMO (and 4.6" ish is as fat as I need).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_2C...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by kyttyra; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I love my Mukluk and ride all year long. Only changes:Brooks seat, Easton Monkey bars, Bontraeger offset seatpost, Ritchey foam grips. Blue duct tape for rim strips2016 Mukluk - am I the only one???-image.jpg

nOOb
    May 2008
    Got the wife a 2016 in small yellow. So far so good, debating going tubeless and switching to lighter tires as it's stock with tubes right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I am the proud owner of a new Mukluk GX1. Just bought it over the weekend. Got it for year-round riding (winter backpacking), trail riding and getting to photography locations faster. Would love to know other upgrades people recommend too.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I've also got the GX1. Just bought a set of Jumbo Jims in 26x4.0 to set up tubeless and drop some weight. Going to use this rig for bikepacking. It's a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    My 2016 Mukluk got summer tyres (Bud + JJ 4.4", set up tubeless), a second bottle cage and an Alpkit Possum frame bag (M fits fine)

Other upgrades:
    30T N/W, 11-42 cassette and GX shifter/derailleur
    Ritchey Trail stem/handlebars and Ergon grips
    Ergon saddle/Thomson seatpost (I'm currently looking for a layback version)

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I've got an xd driver on the way to convert the hub to use sram cassettes. I'll update if it actually works. You can drop 100g of rotating weight by using an xg-1150 cassette, which is all steel cogs, more if you want to use alloy cogs but lose some durability.

nOOb
    May 2008
    The wife's Mukluk is heavy! She commented taking the bikes off the rack into the garage how much heavier hers is than mine. Her bike has 2 x 10 and I won't change the drive to a 1 x 11 until everything is worn out. I calculated just over 3 lbs rotating weight lighter by replacing the 27TPI Nates with tubeless JJ 4.0's and sealant. I can't think of any other ways to drop pounds without spending too much money.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yeah, it adds up quick. Mine has a 1x setup already, so the cost was minimal. I think dropping the weight with the tires will be significant.