Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

2016 Iditarod Invitational

They are off and running in the 2016 version of the great race! I haven't see any other threads so I am starting one! Follow the blue dots on trackleaders and share your comments here!

The early leaders are Tyson Flaharty, Jay P, Tim B, Jeff O. They are making quick work of the course so far, who will win???
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Less than 50 yards into the race Charlie Tri yelling "I'm winning,I'm winning!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    "2 beers and some shots" makes for a slow start.

mtbr member
    Good to see a "live" view of Charly as his tracker must have been left at the start line! Great pictures, looks pretty mild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jay P is averaging almost 14 mph. The track must be fast! Over 70 miles in already.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Knik looks dangerous.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

This place needs an enema
    Standing water = spray = non functioning derailleurs and mechanical brakes in a few days when they climb into freezing temps.

Plus cold feet tonight...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not the bikes but I feel for these guys, Bill Merchant is reporting knee deep water in some sections ahead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Corner of Point Mac and Ayeshire, five miles from the start and folks had spread out quite a bit. Some guys were aired way down and were bouncing with each pedal stroke. This is the lead group.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    looks like they are going to be in Skwentna 1.5 hrs faster than last years record pace. That is hauling

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Reported 6" of overflow on shell lake and it's getting pretty mushy between there and puntilla.. should be an interesting next few hours..

mtbr member
    It looks like Charly is back on line. Maybe someone brought him his Spot at Shell Lake.

mtbr member
    I've been following Robert May and it looks like he is forging his own trail! Not sure if he is off route on purpose or not?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is there a color key on trackleaders showing what the colors of their flags mean? Maybe I'm missing it. Distance/discipline/sex/Vet..... combination of? I'm clicking back and forth, and nothing is jumping out as definitive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    women are pink, men are blue.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    Good to see a "live" view of Charly as his tracker must have been left at the start line! Great pictures, looks pretty mild

Maybe he knew he was going to stop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew k View Post
    women are pink, men are blue.
    What's purple, orange, grey and the 50% opaque mean?

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    What's purple, orange, grey and the 50% opaque mean?
    Take a look at the menu on the r. side of the screen. Click the "Legend" option.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    i think purple is just when a male and female are in the same location. i think 50% opaque means the person hasn't moved for a while. i haven't seen grey. I think orange is 'on foot'

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, that's embarrassing. Thanks.

beer thief
    It looks like Charly is back on line. Maybe someone brought him his Spot at Shell Lake.
    Looks like Charly scratched at mile 120

mtbr member
    I wonder what happened to Charly??

Jammin' Econo
    Looks like T-Race has been stopped for a while (assuming we can trust the SPOT). Hope she's doing ok.
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    bummer. i know he has asthma problems sometimes.

mtbr member
    Charly fell and re-injured his back in the Arrowhead. I hope that didn't flare up again. So how do you make it back to Anchorage when you drop at one of the checkpoints?

mtbr member
    Airplane

mtbr member
    It looks like Tyson had some hard going on that lake . If I'm understanding the Spot Tracker and graphs correctly.

Would like to find out more about how they.set.up their bikes. Tires, gearing etc. Tho I know it's pushing on the pedals and making good decisions that wins the race . I'de like to know how many.of them are running studded tires ?

mtbr member
    From Charly's FB:

"Well, I guess my back wasn't 100%. Rode into the 90 mile checkpoint with Tyson, Jay Petervary, and Tim Berntson. Jay left in 10 minutes. The other 3 of us 20 minutes later. Lower back seized up on me 5 miles out, making riding very painful and impossible to ride with any effort. Limped into Winterlake Lodge at 130 miles where I scratched. The terrain after this is much harder and would have been impossible with my back."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Would like to find out more about how they.set.up their bikes. Tires, gearing etc. I'de like to know how many.of them are running studded tires ?
    Either wait around for more pictures to trickle in over the next few weeks or search for last year's thread.
    Tire choice may be a last minute weather decision for some, but last year studded Dillinger 5's were on a majority of the bikes pictured. (for ice overflows etc.)
    80-90-100mmm rims, 1x and 2x systems geared low, maybe a triple or SS thrown in to keep everyone guessing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just zoomed in on almost all the pics I took yesterday. Dillinger 4's and 5's on darn near everything. One set of white vee rubber somethings. Joe Stiller (not racing) had xxl's on his ti bike that he was riding around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The first several miles was like a luge track.. 99% of the bikes had D4's or D5's and there were a couple studded snowshoe xl' as well as a few custom stud jobs. the gasline out to flathorn was good firm snow, flathorn lake was like an NHL rink and the river was fast.

After Shell Lake it got real soft from the reports I heard this morning.. pushing the hills and riding the downhills and some of the flat sections.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    and WTF is up with Robert May? He's on the old Iditarod trail, maybe heading back to Knik?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    and WTF is up with Robert May? He's on the old Iditarod trail, maybe heading back to Knik?
    After looking at his track, it seems like he tried to take the old Iditarod trail which is ~30 miles shorter than the river but bypasses the checkpoint of Yentna and effectively Skwentna as well.. maybe he's backtracking to check in...

is buachail foighneach me
    Definitely appears Rob is backtracking to hit the first two checkpoints. I don't think he was taking a shortcut, I think he just lost the trail. Sucks that it happened so close to the first checkpoint. It will be a @80 mile round trip detour, but he'll be passing walkers by this evening.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yeah it looks like he got messed up on the yentna there where the trail splits to head over to Alexander lake.. I was up there last week and in the dark when your tired, it would have been an easy miss to veer left and keep going.. looks like he's headed back the opposite way now?

Now it looks like he gave up on backtracking. No idea what his intentions are at this point. He was less than 20 miles from reaching Yentna Station when he just turned around.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Now it looks like he gave up on backtracking. No idea what his intentions are at this point. He was less than 20 miles from reaching Yentna Station when he just turned around.
    Man, i feel bad for him. His current track looks like it's headed for never never land.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Man, i feel bad for him. His current track looks like it's headed for never never land.
    He's most likely trying to get on the overland trail that runs between Skwentna and Talvista Lodge..

mtbr member
    Now he's on the move heading towards Shell Lake. He must have made the Yentna check in on the first pass!

Fatback
    Flew over the trail at Rainy Pass around noon. Most of it was blown in. Saw Tim B and Tyson F working their way up, riding the lower section along the creek.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the eyes on report. It would be great.if some radio station carried coverage of the race. I guess I'm spoiled by coverage of the dog races. Especially the Copper Basin 300.

mtbr member
    According to TrackLeaders, Jay P. is still at Rohn and has been for almost 7 hrs. I have to think that is a communication error and Jay is on the hunt? Any intel out there?

mtbr member
    Anybody know what's up with JayP? Simply a tracker issue? He's been stuck in Rohn for quite a while now.

Bummer for Charly Tri's back.

Tim B looks like he'll be first in Nikolai but the gap with Tyson is small - ~6 miles!

Go racers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Jay might have hurt his feet trying to use Dan Dittmers smaller boots and then pushing back to try and get his back.

http://craigmedred.news/2016/02/29/s...sts/#more-7507

beer thief
    Maybe Jay is waiting for Tracy so they can ride together. Jeff Oatley & Heather Best have stayed together most of the way from what I can tell. It has to be better mentally to have someone to toil with. Bummer about the boot mix-up!

I also wish there were updates on TV. I like this better than the TdF, even with almost non-existent coverage.

Brown Jersey Winner
    I'll be the axe that clears the forest.

https://dirthurt.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

mtbr member
    It looks like Tim B. is about a half mile from winning his first Iditarod. Congratulations Tim!!

beer thief
    It looks like Tim B. is about a half mile from winning his first Iditarod. Congratulations Tim!!
    Great job after a couple close ones in years past. Way to go Tim!

Heather Best is only 15 miles out of Nicolai. Go Heather!

Jammin' Econo
    And it's official - Tim B. wins it.

Looking forward to hearing more details about how it all played out.

Looks like Heather B. has a solid lead on T-race at this point, who has a solid lead on Andrea B.
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Congrats to Tim B.

And well done Tyson, not bad for a rookie. Looks like Fairbanks is well represented on the leader board.

Go Team Alaska!
    “Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene’.” -H.J. Simson

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Tim B. is unreal to do this and a few weeks ago he crushed the Susitna 100 in under 8 hrs. also
    He's the Man
    My hats off to all the racers.

mtbr member
    Congrats Tim B!! 2 rookies for 2nd and 3rd, amazing! Heather takes the win in the women division, what a performance. Great race! For racers still out there, keep on pushing!

mtbr member
    I'll be curious to hear what went in to Jay's decision to take the long wait for Tracy rather than chasing the leaders to the finish? That seems an unusual move for him?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am thinking after the boot fiasco and the trail conditions being what they were he decided he would wait for Tracey. It wouldn't be the first time they had ridden together. And Tracey probably has a stove.

For those who stopped paying attention after the McGrath race; Phil Hofstetter currently has a 100 mile lead in the Nome race and is on pace to possibly break Jeff Oatley's 10d2hr record. This despite a forced 14 hr rest due to an irreparably malfunctioning crank. Before that, his projected finish time was hours ahead of the record. Now he's 6 hrs behind, but closing in. Behind him, Bill Flemming, Jay Cable and Kyle Amstadter are riding within something resembling a pack, followed by Bob Ostrom, then Jill Homer and Mike Beiergrohslein. Bill Dent, Donald Kane, Troy Szczurkowski and Antonio De La Rosa make up the European contingent and are all on the stretch from McGrath to Ruby right now. Tim Hewitt is on foot this year and leading the foot division.

Trackleaders Iditarod Trail Invitational
    Last edited by sean salach; 03-07-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Phil increased his lead by 13 miles last night and is now on the coast of Norton Sound, riding out of Unalakleet. It was pointed out on the ITI facebook page that Pete Basinger rode the stretch from UNK to Nome in 50 hrs a few years ago. If Phil were to match that pace, he would be finished in around 9 days, 18 hrs. It will be interesting to see how trail and weather conditions treat him in the next 250+ miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Good updates. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Phil is really moving! I heard Bill Fleming lost his tracker and following him is going to be like the old days!

mtbr member
    Phil increased his lead by 13 miles last night and is now on the coast of Norton Sound, riding out of Unalakleet. It was pointed out on the ITI facebook page that Pete Basinger rode the stretch from UNK to Nome in 50 hrs a few years ago. If Phil were to match that pace, he would be finished in around 9 days, 18 hrs. It will be interesting to see how trail and weather conditions treat him in the next 250+ miles.
    How did Phil get a new crank? Did they have to fly one in for him or was there one available?

He had one flown in to him.

Looks like the sea ice on Norton Sound is not very rideable. Phil has slowed down considerably since Shaktoolik. He could be dealing with a massive headwind, water over ice, drifting snow, all of the above and he's probably exhausted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    thanks for the update.
    There are not many pictures available to describe the route after McGrath.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^sounds horrible!! These guys are animals...animals I tell ya!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Leaderboard is showing Phil Hofstetter around mile 889.

Looks like we don't get a finishing cam this year.

2016 Iditarod Invitational-2016-vs.-2015-nome-finish.jpg
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Now this was a great tip for a glance at the area.

Journalism has to get better“ Craig Medred
    And the Bering Sea coast is almost always wind blown bare. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to click on the website for Federal Aviation Administration webcams at Alaska airports, go to Unalakleet, and click again to see that the everything is brown to the north up into the Shaktoolik Hills and brown to the south back toward the Kaltag Portage.
    FAA Aviation Weather Cameras - Home

[s]At Elim, Golovin and White Mountain, we might have a chance to see someone pedalling by the airport?[/s]

At Golovin, we might have a chance to see someone pedalling by the airport cams?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like Golovin may provide a chance to view someone going by on Nicolas.

Best I can tell, the cams are on a tower within the green circle just off of Nicolas St., West of Punkuk St.. I can find references to estimate the angle of view for the East cam, SouthWest cam and the West cam, with a guess for the North cam.

Looks like the North cam shows a track heading NW from where the bluff reaches the ice. But it looks like the East cam is the best chance for a glimpse.

You can see the red data point for Phil Hofstetter as he went through.

2016 Iditarod Invitational-golovin-glv-faa-cams-2.jpg
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-10-2016 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No joy.
    The cams are just snapshots.
    Although one rider went in range of one riding right beside the runway and one rider at another town has a datapoint right on the active before getting lost at its West end.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Trackleader is showing Phil Hofstetter at mile 924, with ~11 miles to go.

And the web cam has switched over to the finish line.
    www.visitnomealaska.com/nome-cam/
    (I'm not getting updates on the image. Hope you are.)

2016 Iditarod Invitational-iditarod-2016-nome-finish.jpg

this link works better
    nomecvb.com/nomecam/

Mile 926.4, 9 miles to go.

mtbr member
    Perfect weather; hard, fast trail, 10 miles to go. Phil should be here within the hour. Amazing effort! Would have been nice to see a local guy -- with a full time job and a family -- snag the record. Can't wait to hear what was going on with his crank and the multiple broken chains.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Job well done!
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    At 20:25:59 on the Nomecam - a biker in a green jacket appeared at the finish. Must be him?

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member

2016 ITI Phil Hofstetter finish

Raw video of Phil crossing the finish line in Nome. Please forgive the less than amatuerish camera work. This is the first time I've posted video anywhere. I have much more respect for you film makers who post regularly. Deep respect for Phil and his effort in this race. He's the real deal!

Hometown greeting https://youtu.be/o_7WmpAqWyA

Finish line https://youtu.be/P5yhpwMm1nYP5yhpwMm1nY

Homestretch into Nome https://youtu.be/4QvRUz7JoRs

Race review https://youtu.be/QWv56DZuRwY

Chain issues https://youtu.be/PAaF672f4BA

Crank issues https://youtu.be/KLTF5pYiQQQ
    Last edited by veloborealis; 03-11-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: user friendlyness

mtbr member
    Thanks for the videos! Great job by Phil!

Really cool to see all the videos! I know longer rests mean faster riding, but I still can't help but wonder if he could have broken ten days without the mechanical issues.

Pro-Pedaling Propagandist
    (Deleted)
    Perrenially Peddling Pro-Pedaling Propaganda

mtbr member
    Really cool to see all the videos! I know longer rests mean faster riding, but I still can't help but wonder if he could have broken ten days without the mechanical issues.
    He's downplaying that possibility, but minus the 20+ hours in Koyuk trying piece together a chain and, I think he said 9 hours replacing his crank, it looked like sub-10 was in reach. Can you imagine the frustration sitting in Koyuk fiddling with your chain while the clock tick...

tick...

ticks?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cool to see the videos. I'd been wondering why he spent so much time at the finish.

And I see that the tracking shows Jay Cable and Kyle Amstadter past Safety and around 16 miles away from the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    He's downplaying that possibility, but minus the 20+ hours in Koyuk trying piece together a chain and, I think he said 9 hours replacing his crank, it looked like sub-10 was in reach. Can you imagine the frustration sitting in Koyuk fiddling with your chain while the clock tick...

tick...

ticks?
    20 hrs in Koyuk and at least two more babying the failing chain across the sea ice. Pretty amazing ride.

Jay, Kyle and Bill and Mike and Jill are flying along, too.

It will be interesting to see if Tim Hewitt can come close to breaking 20 days to Nome on foot.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting. Leaderboard has Jay and Kyle listed as finished. They're not quite in town on the map. Not on the Nome Web Cam yet, although some fans are there waiting for them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2016 Iditarod Invitational-nomecam2351.jpg

Note: time on image is ~five minutes faster than UTC when it displayed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another risk on the trail:
    He left the Topkoks to pedal into the middle of the legendary Nome-Golovin snowmachine race.
    After days on the trail sometimes seeing no one, Hofstetter said, “I had machines flying at me at 100 mph. I knew of some them coming through though.”
    Near record Iditarod ? Craig Medred

In the news from the Iditarod near Nulato,
    Iditarod frontrunners Jeff King and Aliy Zirkle were attacked by a snowmachiner on their way to the Nulato checkpoint Saturday, resulting in the death of one dog and injury to several others, Iditarod race officials wrote in a press release.

...when asked how she was by a race official, she responded, "Really bad... Someone tried to kill me with a snowmachine."
    UPDATE: Snowmachiner faces assault, criminal mischief charges after striking dogs | Local News - KTUU.com Anchorage

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Bob Ostrom is through Golovin and on his way to White Mountain.
    Tracker points show him at 13:35 approaching Golovin and another leaving onto the ice at 13:40.
    Unfortunately, the FAA web cam snapshots show the street he would have gone down at 13:25, 13:36 and 13:46. Close, but we missed him.

Tracking is showing Jill Homer and Mike Beiergrohslein on track roughly half-way from Island Point to Koyuk, just made the turn to the NNW to Koyuk.
    FAA site has Shaktoolik at 10F, wind in their face at 26 knots for windchill of -12F (gusting n/a; earlier it was 20 knots, gusting to 26 knots), sunset due at 19:43 AKDT. Koyuk isn't much better, showing 10F, wind out of the North at 13 knots gusting to 22 knots. So they've got 20 miles to Koyuk fighting a cold headwind.

Troy Szczurkowski less than 2 miles to Unalakleet.
    Tim Newitt just East of the river approaching Old Woman Cabin.
    Bill Dent and Donald Kane showing close behind Tim, roughly 2/3 of the way from Tripod Flats Cabin.

(~edit. I had the sunset time wrong. If I've got the UTC time right now, they have/had ~three hours of sun left when the above was posted.)
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-14-2016 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Just got a taste of that north wind while pedaling home from work. I don't envy the slog Jill and Mike are having to endure on the crossing to Koyuk. Here in Nome, at least, all the loose snow has blown away, so no ground storm issues and the trails are scoured to hard pack. Could be different east of here, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nomecam2351.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	1056260

Note: time on image is ~five minutes faster than UTC when it displayed.
    Sidelined with the flu or I would have been down to greet these guys and snap a fews pics.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    To give an idea where they are, Bob is out there, just on land, pretty much on line dead centre around six miles out.

2016 Iditarod Invitational-white-mountain-16.56.jpg

And Jill and Mike are around another 1/4 width of the image off to the right, around thirteen miles out.

2016 Iditarod Invitational-118-south-east-koyuk.jpg
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-14-2016 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Still , not bad trail conditions. Compared to past Iditarod s .
    But riding into a 20 plus head wind is not overly fun.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Naw. Can't be...

Name:  white-mountain-2016-03-13 17.35 cropped.gif
Views: 276
Size:  172.6 KB

cropped from same snapshot cam two posts ago
    2016-03-13
    17:35:58, 17:45:52, 17:55:56; 18:06:00, 18:15:57

~Edit: Not likely.
    I believe the clearing (green circle) within the above rectangle is beside this building. As all of the other participants track points go along the river, and his is along the river on the bottom right and then at the rest stop, it's unlikely he detoured through that clearing.

Name:  likely not - sm.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  44.4 KB
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-15-2016 at 05:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    haha... that's pretty awesome

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

the race to nome

I just got back to civilization, and thought I would chime in with some details about the conditions and the race, from the perspective of a nome bound racer.

The trail was pretty awesome this year, I don't think it would be possible to it to get much better. Pretty much the entire trail after Mcgrath was ridable, some of it so firm or icy that it was very fast. Hard to believe how lucky we were to have such nice trail and weather pretty much from Knik to Nome... The coldest weather I saw was just outside McGrath, and that was a balmy -8f - wow!

Phil would have set a record if it was not for his mechanical issues. A huge congratulations to Phil for having such a fantastic race!

Some photos (sorry about the flickr tags, I am too lazy to strip them out)

The Fairwell Lakes area..
    DSC04258 by J C, on Flickr

A bridge on the road to Ophir
    DSC04289 by J C, on Flickr

The trail between Ophir and Poorman - not a lot of snow, and lots of bumpy tussocks... but no pushing!
    DSC04307 by J C, on Flickr

The yukon downstream of Ruby.
    DSC04390 by J C, on Flickr
    There was tons of ice on the Yukon and on the coast. Studs were pretty much a requirement for safe & fast riding.

Silt over the ice on the Yukon..
    DSC04419 by J C, on Flickr

The Unalakleet part of the Kaltag portage.
    DSC04492 by J C, on Flickr

The river heading into Unalakleet
    DSC04528 by J C, on Flickr

The trail heading to the Blueberry Hills
    DSC04558 by J C, on Flickr

Heading out onto the sea ice between Shaktoolik and Koyuk. I didn't get any photos of the crossing, but it was a bit of a slow - lots of slow riding on punchy crusted snow in a steady headwind.
    DSC04609 by J C, on Flickr

The trail between Koyuk and Ellim. It was pretty firm, but super windy.
    DSC04674 by J C, on Flickr

The short section of trail on the sea ice outside Ellim. The dog sled leaders just past though this area in the last few hours, I think.
    DSC04697 by J C, on Flickr

The decent down to Topkok(?) towards Nome.
    DSC04711 by J C, on Flickr

30 miles out from Nome, near the famous "blowhole" which wasn't really blowing. There were lots of snowmachine racers on the trails that day, practicing for the Nome Golovin race the following day.
    DSC04737 by J C, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    There wasn't much standing water that wasn't easily avoidable, but there was lots and lot of bare ice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nomecam2351.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	1056260
    It isn't possible to tell from this photo, but my cassette fell off (!!!) like a mile from the finish, and Bill and Kyle rigged up a tow strap and hauled me in. It was super awesome of those guys, and something I will never forget. Pretty top notch folks..

beer thief
    Awesome pics and trail report!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great job!

Thanks for the report and pics. Great to see your enthusiasm and insights.

Cheers!
    Paul

Bedwards Of The West
    So awesome. Great stuff.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spruceboy View Post
    It isn't possible to tell from this photo, but my cassette fell off (!!!) like a mile from the finish, and Bill and Kyle rigged up a tow strap and hauled me in. It was super awesome of those guys, and something I will never forget. Pretty top notch folks..
    Great ride, Jay, and cogratulations on your finish in the 1000. You're part of an elite group of cyclists! Thanks for giving the rest of us a glimpse of the trail.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's pretty windy here now in Nome, just went running, could be much worse tho.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    At 3:46 UTC, Bob Ostrom is around four miles shy of Safety going 9.5 mph. After that, Nome.

Jill Homer is at Elim, ~ one stop behind her, Mike Beiergrohslein shows as near Moses Point.

Troy Szczurkowski is approaching Little Mountain at Island Point.

Bill Dent and Donald Kane, 3.5 miles and 7 miles til they're at Shaktoolik.

Tim Hewit is not far behind them, ~18.5 miles from Foothills.

Tracking showing Beat Jegerlehner at Nulalo, Eric Johnson at Koyukuk and Klaus Schweinberger at Ruby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast