mtbr member
    Oct 2015

2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

I picked up a new 2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy this week and since the 2016 models aren't even on the website, thought I would share early impressions. Haven't ridden the bike yet, have been sick all week but have done a bit of setup and can give a brain dump for you all.

I bought the 21" Alloy with the carbon fork. $1,399

Overall the frame is pretty nice. Paint is good, welds are sanded and the shape of the frame is beautiful IMO. New this year is a new rear triangle that will take 5" tires easily on a 1x setup. The triangle is a little basic with some double bends and dented/formed tubing, but should be plenty strong enough.

The carbon fork is apparently pretty bomb proof according to their testing (aka marketing materials) and looks to be a pretty solid piece of kit.

The cockpit components are garbage. Seatpost, bars and stem are all really heavy alloy.

I have not weighed them, but my guess is that the wheelsets are also tanks and will probably be upgraded next year, but for the pricepoint are probably fine.

One question for the group: I have only had experience with tubeless ready rims, which these are not, but when I first mounted the rims I thought the rims were the wrong size or had a defect. On my other rims, you need a tire lever, or at least strong thumbs and a ton of elbow grease to get a tire on/off. With these rims, the tire practically fell on and I had to be carefull to keep the tire centered while inflating. On my first attempt I blew out a sidewall at 28psi waiting for the beads to pop in. Realized on the second attempt with a new tube that they slid in already around 15 psi and there was no sharp pop like I was used to with other setups. Thoughts? Is that normal for a non tubeless ready rim?

Components: This was pretty disappointing, but my bad on assuming. I ordered with the X7 spec assuming it would be a type 2.1. Nope. Plain old parts bin X7 non clutch. Fortunately I had a spare X7 type 2 derailleur, but I think that is a pretty lame place to save a few bucks on the build.

Weight: XL, with Wellgo MG-1 pedals, Thomson Elite seatpost and Ti Specialized Seat, Origin8 Stem and Raceface Alloy riser bar, Specialized 26-2.3 tubes and Surly Bud/Lou - bike is 32.25 pounds. I suspect the alloy frame favors strength + cost over lightness and there is probably 2 pounds to be saved in better hubs/wheels, but for an XL frame ready to ride, I am pretty happy with the weight.

I probably overlooked some important details and will let you know my impressions if I can get out for a ride this weekend, but I love the looks of the bike and feel like it is a super solid platform to upgrade on over time.

2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy-img_0036.jpg

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike. Love the color of the 2016 and most importantly the changes that they've done to the rear triangle to finally fit a 4.8" tire.

I have the 2015 version of the Alloy and a 2015 carbon version with the same non-tubeless ready rims and I've ran several different tires on them. I've ran Surly Bud/Lou, Vee Bulldozers, Maxxis Mammoths and Framed Minnesota 4" tires. The Surly Bud/Lou were probably the loosest fitting out of the bunch with the Maxxis Mammoth fitting the tightest.

I've never tried converting them tubeless since I'm quite happy with running the Q-Tubes Superlight Tubes in them, but I do know that some people have had good luck converting them tubeless with the Mammoth and Minnesota tires using either the Split Tube or the Fatty Stripper setup with the Foam Backer Rods. I haven't heard of anybody being able to convert the Bud/Lou combo tubeless on those rims.

Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy.
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post

Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy.
    Thanks Kawidan, I read all of your posts on your two Alaskans and they were super helpful for me making the decision to pull the trigger!

mtbr member
    The OEM components are the easiest way to keep the bike at the pricepoint and they were the first to go on my MN. They were all replaced with RF stuff I had in the bin, bought used, or were on clearance. Brakes were swapped for bb7s from the bin too. The rest of the stuff will be upgraded/replaced as they wear. I may just end up with enough parts to build another before I'm done and put the original stuff on it to use as a loaner.
    Love the new bright red instead of the matte finish. Looks really nice. Did they add internal shift cable routing this year? Enjoy that ride!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Did they add internal shift cable routing this year? Enjoy that ride!
    Both the Alaskan Alloy and Carbon have internal cable routing for the shifting.
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    I thought that last year's didn't, I guess I didn't look closely enough. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nice bike! Glad they got that tire capacity up, pretty lame they're still spec'ing the non-2.1 rear derailleur on a 1x....kinda shocking really. I do dig the 2016 colors.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Great looking bike! I would have loved to have a nice bright color for my frame but I like my black Alloy w/blue accents just fine.

Yep, the tires seem to just flop on there when you put them on the rims. I actually just changed my tires last night - took off the stock 4.0 Minnesota's that were on there and replaced with a Flowbeist and a Dunderbeist - haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They're 4.6" vs. the stock 4.0". I'm hoping I have more grab with these tires - I was sliding out in stupid areas last weekend & was getting frustrated. These have much more aggressive tread.

Hope you like the bike. I'm sickened by the prices now - I think I bought mine early - I looked at The House for a comparable bike now and it's a little cheaper than what I bought (and I had gotten a multi-bike discount from my LBS).

tg
    mtbr member
    Still QR in the back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    Still QR in the back?
    Yes still 190 QR. Only the Alaskan Carbon and the Wolftrax Carbon have 197 Thru-Axle.
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    I gotta ask, I did try to find the info but the Framed site shows page not found when looking for details on the Wolftrax carbon and the pic looks like the Alaskan, what's the difference between the carbon models?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looking good. Get a ride in yet?