mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2016 Farley 5 1x11 Conversion?

I searched but couldn't find the specific info I was looking for.

I hate purple, so I went with the 5, but would like to convert it to 1x11. What are some decent options? My first preference would be SRAM GX or X1, but I would need an XD driver and can't find any info on the rear hub.

Anyone know who makes the Bontrager rear hub on this bike, and which XD Driver I would need? Seems they use the same hubs on the 7, so I am pretty sure one exists. Yes, I am sure the local dealer could figure it out eventually.

Any other suggested options?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The shimano xt8000 is great stuff

You use your existing driver

It's an easy swap!

I've run a set for a while, then sold the bike, but it's a great group set

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I simply mounted up a RaceFace NW 30t and went 1x10. Has worked great with everything else stock on my F5. I have plenty of years for fresh snow and dry trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I second the XT8000 drivetrain - but you can also mix a bit of SRAM in there too if you prefer the SRAM ergonomics on the shifter

I bought the Farley 9.6 with the GX11. Since the 9.6 comes stock with 27.5 wheels, I bought a set of 26" wheels for the studded winter tires that had a shimano freehub body. Rather than worrying about getting a new freehub - I bought the XT8000 11-42 Cassette.

Compatibility between the SRAM shifter with derailleur and the shimano cassette is fine and with save you a bunch of money and headaches of switching wheels/freehubs.

I eventually switched to the XT8000 shifter and derailleur and love it - though I find the thumb lever throw a little awkward with my barmitts on occasion.

The only other nock/FYI on the XT shifter is that it meshes pretty poorly with the AVID levers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
    I simply mounted up a RaceFace NW 30t and went 1x10. Has worked great with everything else stock on my F5. I have plenty of years for fresh snow and dry trails.
    This has me thinking of doing the same thing. It's pretty flat where I live, so I could probably get away with this. Did this allow you to pull the wheel all the way forward, and did you mount it on the inner or outer side?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks, good suggestions here. Looking at gear ratios on just getting a 30T NW ring, you lose 2 gears at the top and 3 at the bottom. Might not be too bad, but I will experiment a bit.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    The shimano xt8000 is great stuff

You use your existing driver

It's an easy swap!

I've run a set for a while, then sold the bike, but it's a great group set
    This.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I would go 1x10 with a NW chainring. See how you like it and leave your 22 granny on the bike in case you need it. If you ride deep snow I will tell you the ability to have a bailout granny is nice. You have to move the chain down manually, but it has made a couple of my recent deep snow rides a lot more enjoyable. On dirt, I'd never use the granny with a 30T NW ring, but in deep snow I occasionally need the granny! I also have a 42T cog on the back and my wife has the Sunrace 10 speed 11-42 cassette. The Sunrace is a great option, as it costs about the same as a 42t cog and works great. Either of these 1x10 conversions allow you to keep your current derailleur and shifter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Installing my 30T chainring this weekend. According to my gear ratio experiments, I should be fine with the 1x10 for now. Looks like I have a 1x11 choice of Shimano or SRAM NX for a reasonable cost once the NX hits the streets.

I ordered a Bluto without the understanding of different hub widths and just assumed that there was a standard. DOH! Seems there is, but the standard is different for rigid or Bluto, and no good conversion options. Now I have a Hope Pro 4 Fatsno 150mm hub, spokes and nipples on the way, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't know if it's any use to you but there was a guy on the Farley 6/8 thread who was machining spacers to allow Farley 6's to use a Bluto, I assume it's the same issue with the Farley5.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Converting a 5 to 1x for my wife. A shorter BB spindle (170mm) is in order. Might as well reduce the Q-factor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    I assume it's the same issue with the Farley5.
    It is.

The same spacer should fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    I don't know if it's any use to you but there was a guy on the Farley 6/8 thread who was machining spacers to allow Farley 6's to use a Bluto, I assume it's the same issue with the Farley5.

John
    Yeah, I saw that, but I wasn't sure about differences between year models, and I don't like the idea of spacing out the disc or spacing in the caliper. It would probably be fine, but I had a 15% coupon at Jenson anyway. Not much more $ to just have the proper wheel setup, and I will likely not be swapping out the fork between seasons. If anything, I'd have another 27.5 wheelset with 3.8 tires or something.

Hey, we have similar stables.

2014 Fuel Ex 29
    2015 Stache 9
    2016 Farley 5

Loving the big tires, Fuel is not getting much love.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
    Yeah, I saw that, but I wasn't sure about differences between year models, and I don't like the idea of spacing out the disc or spacing in the caliper. It would probably be fine, but I had a 15% coupon at Jenson anyway. Not much more $ to just have the proper wheel setup, and I will likely not be swapping out the fork between seasons. If anything, I'd have another 27.5 wheelset with 3.8 tires or something.
    That's fair enough, I thought I would mention it to make sure you knew as it can be annoying to find out afterwards.

Hey, we have similar stables.

2014 Fuel Ex 29
    2015 Stache 9
    2016 Farley 5

Loving the big tires, Fuel is not getting much love.
    Great minds think alike! I'm getting the Fuel prepped for sale at the moment, the original intention was that the Farley would be my winter bike and the Fuel my summer bike but I found I didn't want to stop riding the Farley. The Fuel is a fantastic very capable bike and I've not wanted to part with it but I've not used it since I got the fat bike and it's just a waste. I've taken the Farley on many different rides including CX racing and four endurance races, it's almost always such a fun bike to ride whatever the conditions.

Hope you enjoy your Farley as much as I've enjoyed mine

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just got the XT M8000 cassette and it's solid. I plan in using that with a GX drivetrain on my 20er hardtail. I already have the full GX kit on my Farley and you can't beat it for the price.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thinking of doing the simple Race Face NW chainring conversion. Is there a need for a new chain? I'm guessing "no", but not sure.
    I'm excited to run the wheel all the way forward.
    Thanks for your time.
    Kevin