Carbon frame $1499

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Where at?

mtbr member
    Any Salsa dealer, Universal cycle etc.
    It's on the salsa website too.
    I'm tempted by the complete X01 carbon for $4500 or just the frameset
    Last edited by Swerny; 03-29-2017 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks, Swerny, appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Wow, some pretty tempting prices there!

mtbr member
    the complete gx1 is only 2300. but al frame is at 1400. carbon frame is a much better deal
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Just ordered a complete '16 Bucksaw Carbon in Lg., am pretty excited. I could probably use the money for more responsible, sensible things, but...Screw IT!!! I need me a Bucksaw!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxeymum View Post
    Just ordered a complete '16 Bucksaw Carbon in Lg., am pretty excited. I could probably use the money for more responsible, sensible things, but...Screw IT!!! I need me a Bucksaw!!!
    Congrats, you're going to love it!
    I got mine last Fall and have no regrets (other that paying full price ), it's a pretty versatile bike and is my favorite ride currently.

p.s. I was " Told " by the better half that the money could be better spent on a new dining room set but I think the Bucksaw was the better choice
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    Congrats, you're going to love it!
    I got mine last Fall and have no regrets (other that paying full price ), it's a pretty versatile bike and is my favorite ride currently.

p.s. I was " Told " by the better half that the money could be better spent on a new dining room set but I think the Bucksaw was the better choice
    Thanks, Fat-in-Fundy. I went from being a guy who thought of fat bikes as just a curiousity to being a total convert once I bought a rigid fatty for winter riding last fall. It was either that or learn to snow shoe, but either way I was determined not to be shut indoors for 6 months as is usual in these never ending N. Dakota winters.

Your wife may be right. After this purchase, even at that great sale price, I might be eating Ramen noodles using a couple of sawhorses and a sheet of plywood for a dining table. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I don't have a wife to restrain my spending habits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    picking up a GX1 alu tomorrow from LBS, 2399

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    picking up a GX1 alu tomorrow from LBS, 2399
    Good on ya. Is that the gloss black one? I didn't even know they made a gloss black Bucksaw until Shark started this thread. I think any of us who are capitalizing on these sweet deals owe Shark a thank you for sharing this. I might not have even known about it without his (or her) input. Thanks Shark!

mtbr member
    Do any salsa dealers ship or is it LBS only?
    Not sure what the Canadian price is

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Swerny, I can't pretend to know the answer to your question, but I did see that Universal Cycles (think that's the name) in Portland, OR, which seems to be a huge Salsa dealer, says they won't ship complete bikes. I don't recall if the frames are treated the same.

mtbr member
    Swerny, I can't pretend to know the answer to your question, but I did see that Universal Cycles (think that's the name) in Portland, OR, which seems to be a huge Salsa dealer, says they won't ship complete bikes. I don't recall if the frames are treated the same.
    Thanks, i had checked there before and there's no shipping for completes or frames.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Thanks, i had checked there before and there's no shipping for completes or frames.
    Maybe it would be worth your while to check with some of the dealers closest to you -- I'm not sure if these sale prices apply to Canadian Salsa dealers or if Salsa is even in Canada -- but maybe use the dealer locator function on Salsa website to call a few near you, or call U.S. dealers across the border from you to see if any are willing to ship cross border. Good luck, hope you can find what you're looking for.

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    You can give this place a call and see what they can do:

The premier Bicycle Shop of the Tetons, Jackson Hole, Driggs, Victor, Idaho Falls and South East Idaho! Trek Bicycles, Salsa Cycles, Pivot Cycles, Yeti Cycles. Come see us in Victor, Idaho.

The guy that runs this shop use to be in my area and is a big fat bike dealer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Picked mine up

Just thought I'd check back in to the thread now that I have mine. Obligatory picture attached. I was going to transfer my favorite WTB Rocket V over to the new bike, but so far am liking the stock one very much. Have also transferred XT pedals over, but other than that still stock as can be, with the exception that it's set up tubeless now. LBS that sold the bike charged me very little to do the tubeless conversion.

Took a short little local ride yesterday with the main purpose of tweaking the cockpit fit to my liking. Today is suspension set up day as I can tell it needs some tuning.

I honestly haven't ridden it enough yet to form any strong opinions, but so far so good. Still getting used to the push/push SRAM shifting as I've ridden Shimano exclusively before this bike. Impressed with the Guide brakes so far. I can say that the orange/red paint is about the most beautiful red I've ever seen, but that's just a comment about the cosmetics. In any case between the design and color I think it's a very good looking bike.

Will provide another update as I get more saddle time in case y'all are interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Bucksaw frames on clearance-img_0987-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I wonder if the geo is changing this year

All fat, all the time.
    I bet they'd sell more if they upped the travel to 130ish...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm sure now that I've bought one the geo will be revised for '18 (pretty sure the '17 is same as '16). But, a guy can go crazy chasin' the latest and greatest stuff, so I don't worry about that kind of stuff.

As far as the travel -- and I'm no suspension expert -- it seems the conventional wisdom at least is that going beyond a certain amount of travel on a FS fat bike becomes somewhat counterproductive. I can't really speak from personal experience about the Bucksaw, but am heading to CO and WY in a week or so and should form a better personal opinion riding it down there.

All fat, all the time.
    Yeah, just seems the common trend lately is "more is better" ie guys riding 160mm travel bikes on flow trails haha.
    Not the weight penalty like 10 years ago, and suspension design has come a long ways so they still climb decent.

I've ridden my Bucksaw down some chunky trails (lots in Idaho, Pisgah NC, Oakridge OR, Truckee CA) and it handles it very well. Having a good fork up front helps a lot. (lefty max in my case)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

as a furniture store owner, please get the dining set. As a mountain biker, good job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yeah, I've read a few articles/comments that said the fat tires sort of make super long travel suspension unnecessary and in some way will negate the positive qualities of the bigger foot print. Again, I'm no expert in any way, and am only relating what I've read, but it makes sense to me. I really like the way my rigid fatty rides (though at my age it really is a little too stiff for trails) so not sure I'd like the feel of a long travel fat bike much. I'll see how I get along with this Bucksaw --and see if at some point I'm wishing for more travel. In any event, it's all good discussion, guys, appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yeah, just seems the common trend lately is "more is better" ie guys riding 160mm travel bikes on flow trails haha.
    Not the weight penalty like 10 years ago, and suspension design has come a long ways so they still climb decent.

I've ridden my Bucksaw down some chunky trails (lots in Idaho, Pisgah NC, Oakridge OR, Truckee CA) and it handles it very well. Having a good fork up front helps a lot. (lefty max in my case)

Hey, mine is at 150mm! But I want more!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    as a furniture store owner, please get the dining set. As a mountain biker, good job.
    HaHa. Now there's a guy with conflicting interests!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    Hey, mine is at 150mm! But I want more!
    You've got a fat bike with 150 mm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I wish I had 1600 right now

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah, I've read a few articles/comments that said the fat tires sort of make super long travel suspension unnecessary and in some way will negate the positive qualities of the bigger foot print. Again, I'm no expert in any way, and am only relating what I've read, but it makes sense to me. I really like the way my rigid fatty rides (though at my age it really is a little too stiff for trails) so not sure I'd like the feel of a long travel fat bike much. I'll see how I get along with this Bucksaw --and see if at some point I'm wishing for more travel. In any event, it's all good discussion, guys, appreciate it.
    Glad to see that the new Bucksaw has arrived, looks great, I love that red but it was out of my (read wife's) price range!
    I'm no expert either but find the travel suits this fattie fine, maybe they'll bump it a bit but I would guess that one would be better off on a plus bike like the Pony Rustler if more travel is needed for the trail (just my 2cents).
    I found the medium a little cramped as I'm just between sizes, a new Chromag cockpit has solved that
    Hope you get along well with the new ride, enjoy!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Bucksaw frames on clearance-chromag.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Glad to see that the new Bucksaw has arrived, looks great, I love that red but it was out of my (read wife's) price range!
    I'm no expert either but find the travel suits this fattie fine, maybe they'll bump it a bit but I would guess that one would be better off on a plus bike like the Pony Rustler if more travel is needed for the trail (just my 2cents).
    I found the medium a little cramped as I'm just between sizes, a new Chromag cockpit has solved that
    Hope you get along well with the new ride, enjoy!!
    Bike looks great Fat-in-Fundy. I really like the black with the grayish rims. If I had a sensible woman (!) restraining my spending habits, that's the one I probably would've got. I used to hate black cars, black motorcycles, black cars, but then I somehow ended up with a black motorcycle with black wheels, and now I really like the color.

I'm one of those unfortunate in-betweeners too (5'10" w/a 32" inseam), but owner of LBS also owns a Bucksaw like mine and insisted I get a large when I asked him about sizing. Glad I did as it fits me very close to my large 2015 Stumpjumper FSR which I have always liked the fit of (which, BTW, is up for sale, but I think is sold already); I really like a roomy cockpit. My rigid fatty is a medium (Fuji Wendigo 1.1 aluminum) and like you I adjusted the cockpit and it fits fine, just about like the large Bucksaw. Main thing I did on the Fuji was add a Ritchey 20mm setback post with seat slid back to limit mark. I didn't change the stem but scored a used Spank 4 degree, 760mm, flat bar which, in comparison to the 9 degree stock bar, moved my hands forward and out enough that I didn't feel the need to buy a longer stem. Your Cromag bar looks mondo wide like the Spank. Strokes for folks, it's all good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You've got a fat bike with 150 mm?
    no, but I ride with shark quite a bit, and so that line might have been more for him.
    he is fat year round, I am not. He is actually quite skinny.

This place needs an enema
    going beyond a certain amount of travel on a FS fat bike becomes somewhat counterproductive.

All depends on where you live, what your trails are like, what preferences you've evolved to over time.

Could I ride with less than 120mm travel? Of course -- did it for decades.

Do I prefer 150mm on both ends of my Fatillac? You bet. No plans to devolve to less, even though it's easy enough to do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    All depends on where you live, what your trails are like, what preferences you've evolved to over time.

Could I ride with less than 120mm travel? Of course -- did it for decades.

Do I prefer 150mm on both ends of my Fatillac? You bet. No plans to devolve to less, even though it's easy enough to do.
    Mike, I will defer to your expertise on this subject -- I appreciate the input, truly. As I said, I was only basing my statement on what I'd read, and heard anecdotally. I haven't even had my Bucksaw out on a proper trail yet so will be interesting to see if I do eventually crave for more travel as I get to know the bike.

This place needs an enema
    Mike, I will defer to your expertise on this subject -- I appreciate the input, truly. As I said, I was only basing my statement on what I'd read, and heard anecdotally. I haven't even had my Bucksaw out on a proper trail yet so will be interesting to see if I do eventually crave for more travel as I get to know the bike.

Wasn't suggesting you were wrong, or that I was right. Just saying "It depends".

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Was told today a near-local LBS still has some 2016 Bucksaw GX1s at the Salsa 'spring clearance' price:
    Cover Any Terrain: SPRING SPECIAL! | Salsa Cycles

I was not considering this bike (was actually lookin at a Ogre or Fargo) -- but I have to say the price is great and they are well-reviewed, as I'm sure most of you know.

I don't see but a couple of reviews on the bottom of the line GX1 model though - most reviews are of the carbon versions.

Would those that have ridden the GX1 version recommend it, or is it really only worthwhile if going carbon?

Also, any issues with the carbon seat stays on the GX1?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've had my GX1 for nearly a year now and would highly recommend one, especially at the sale price, my only regret is I paid full price for mine

It's slightly heavier than the carbon version as you would expect and the GX1 drivetrain weighs a little more than XO but shifts as well and is cheaper to replace, the carbon bike was a great deal at the sale price but the GX is still a great build. I weigh around 235lbs and have had no issues with the carbon seat stays, so far the bike has been solid.

I'd say take one for a test ride, at that price you can't go wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Bucksaw frames on clearance-ambush.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    salsa also had some 2015 completes...got a sweet deal from my lbs on one,2100...

2016 Bucksaw frames on clearance-img_20170625_112157385.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    That looks like AZ...which LBS? I might jump on that!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    new mexico...the owner of the shop cut me a special deal since im their number 2 all time customer...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I took advantage of the deal... Now owner of a 2016 XO1 aluminum Bucksaw! RF Next cranks going on in a week or so, along with a shorter stem (90mm stock).
    Now about those tires...

mtbr member
    i contacted my local Salsa dealer in Toronto, Canada.

They advise the complete Carbon builds are sold out in large, available in medium.

Can get a carbon frameset in large for $2000 CAD

Complete X01 Alloys are $4500 CAD.

I'm debating the frame only, but couldn't use my existing carbon 29+ wheels...I would be starting from scratch....and I really like 29+

I want 1 bike to handle both summer and fat biking duties.

I think I am leaning towards the Farley EX...or maybe just a carbon hardtail fat bike to replace my Farley 7.
    Last edited by Swerny; 06-28-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm debating the frame only, but couldn't use my existing carbon 29+ wheels...I would be starting from scratch....and I really like 29+
    Same boat here....
    I would have grabbed a carbon frame....but I'm too invested in 197 wheels

All fat, all the time.
    i contacted my local Salsa dealer in Toronto, Canada.

They advise the complete Carbon builds are sold out on large, available in medium.

Can get a carbon frameset in large for $2000 CAD

Complete X01 Alloys are $4500 CAD.

I've been running 27.5x3" on my bucksaw since the spring. Love it!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thank you Fat-in-Fundy! I'm 185lbs, age 57, and though in good shape and enjoy a little speed, don't enjoy launching into orbit anymore Looking for something that has some cush but great quality that I won't have to worry about. I had a Vaya several years ago and was very impressed with Salsa, so this warrants a look.
    Last edited by tral; 06-27-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Correction

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I've been running 27.5x3" on my bucksaw since the spring. Love it!!
    I've been running that almost exclusively on my bucksaw since I built it in Jan of '16. I have a set of Bontrager Hodags, but they've got maybe >200 miles on them since it rarely snows in Philadelphia anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Drooling with envy at the idea of the aluminum bikes at $2300 and $2700. Sadly a no goer living on the other side of the world

mtbr member

2016 Salsa Bucksaw X01

Finally got it together. the full build at a great price. just switched out saddle, seatpost and collar. pictured in XC mode with 29 hoops

2016 Bucksaw frames on clearance-salsa.jpg