Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I just received my Farley 8 last tuesday ( on my birthday, what a present ).
    And i made a great discovery for mounting a gravitry dropper.
    Since there is no front derailleur i mounted the cable through the frame where the
    front derailleur could be. (with help of the vacuum cleaner for directing the cable
    through the frame.)
    The result is Farley nice

How the bike runs! Great. Much lighter than my Mukluk 3 fron 2013 and much
    directer and stuff.

mtbr member
    I was at the lbs today and their Farley 6 had Husker's

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is that $3200 price tag worth the upgrade from the Farley 6? Bluto does look sweet
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Trying to decide between the 6 and 8. Really want the 8 but the 3200 is killing me lol
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    Trying to decide between the 6 and 8. Really want the 8 but the 3200 is killing me lol
    yeah I feel ya

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would probably decide if X1 was important enough to me to warrant the Farley 8. If not, I'd just get the 6 and pick up a Bluto for around $500, and upgrade a couple other parts and still be $700-800 ahead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Found a shop that will do 3k on a 8 out the door. Still a lot but more tempted now. I'd pay 2k after taxes in a 6. Another 500 on a bluto. 150 to upgrade the front hub. And still no 1x11. Also I'm 5'11. What size do you think?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Found a shop that will do 3k on a 8 out the door. Still a lot but more tempted now. I'd pay 2k after taxes in a 6. Another 500 on a bluto. 150 to upgrade the front hub. And still no 1x11. Also I'm 5'11. What size do you think?
    Oh, yeah. The hub. I don't know what sizes are available, and what your feelings about online shopping, but Mad Dog cycles has the 6 for $1700 shipped. At 5'11, wouldn't other folks agree the 17.5 is the size?

mtbr member

Re: 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Oh, yeah. The hub. I don't know what sizes are available, and what your feelings about online shopping, but Mad Dog cycles has the 6 for $1700 shipped. At 5'11, wouldn't other folks agree the 17.5 is the size?
    This.

You should be able to negotiate a better price on both bikes. I paid less than this out the door on my 6.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Think your correct. Just looked at the spec and the Top Tube Length. The 17.5 would fit better. Dang the 8 is a L. Well just threw that deal out..
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well all treks are asking 1869 for all their 6's near here and only one near me has a 6 in stock and they said they are all back ordered till Feb 23.
    What should I offer?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmm 1699 and free shipping
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    $1700 out the door would be a fair price imo.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Think I'm going to order it. Any recommendations on a front hub so I can run a bluto.
    Im spoiled after test riding a mukluk with a bluto lol
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is the rear thru axle?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Yes
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Think I'm going to order it. Any recommendations on a front hub so I can run a bluto.
    Im spoiled after test riding a mukluk with a bluto lol
    Hope Fatsno hub.

My bikes--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2015 Trek Farley 6.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok im ordering it. Ill just upgrade the hub and bluto. Too bad it comes with sucky brakes. Recommend anything else?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    The brakes actually aren't bad once they're bedded in. If you're going to upgrade nothing beats SLX...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey I'm in Chillicothe. Ever ride Great Seal? Liking the Farley 6?

Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    Photo op right by the bike path near Alum creek.
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member

Ok im ordering it. Ill just upgrade the hub and bluto. Too bad it comes with sucky brakes. Recommend anything else?
    I have to say I am not a fan of Avid brakes but so far mine have been good and I'm not a small person. As soon as I start having problems I'll order a set of XT hydros.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok can anyone confirm if the front hub can be converted with the Hub adapters from salsa to 15mmx142?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey I'm in Chillicothe. Ever ride Great Seal? Liking the Farley 6?
    Never heard of the Great Seal; where is that? I just started riding mtb a few months ago and have only been to Alum Creek, Chestnut Ridge and Dillon.
    I freaking love this bike; it still amazes me how easy it is to ride over roots, rocks and ruts. Much easier than the 29er I traded in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ok can anyone confirm if the front hub can be converted with the Hub adapters from salsa to 15mmx142?
    Page 9 of this thread, start with post 205. Know anyone that works in a machine shop?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Interested in this more..
    What exactly will I need and tell a machine shop to do? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by andy586 View Post
    ok spacers to position the rotor 3x2mm and 1x1mm 8 ...longer M5x16mm rotor bolts 1.50 and a local machine shop turned the 2 hub adapters for 30 .... bloke said they should be more, but he was intrigued to see the results ....should have been more like 60 but cost would go down if wanted 20 or more doing at a time etc??....

heres the diagram that he used to mill them...

just been out for another 14 mile ride through the dunes, beach and through pine forest .....all works great, no problems at all :-)
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I dunno, I think it'd be cheaper to get the spacers machined. $100 for the hub and then whatever it costs for spokes(if needed) and having the wheel relaced. Unless you can do it of course.
    Makes me wish I had a lathe. And the skill to use it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So id need to buy which spacers?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    He had them machined from the drawings. I have no idea what it would cost.

I hate that name.
    Not that one. Hope Fatsno 150x15. That one is 100x15 for standard mtb forks.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    So the creaking is back. After initially being told it was the cheap pedals that came stock, they put on another pair of cheap ones (and I now have Xpedo Sprys on), and after a couple weeks of slience, the creak slowly came back.

I don't think the LBS would just lube something, and pawn it off on the pedals being cheap, incompetence though possibly. I know it could be a variety of things, but I listened to the "clicking" in the Moto thread when the dude was having an issue with his fork, and that's a lot more click than the "creak" that I get.

Thoughts? I really can't tell if it's the hub or fork, though I'm pretty sure it's not coming from the bottom bracket/crank/pedals area.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Chainring bolts, crank bolts, rear thru axle/qr? All those clean/greased, and tightened wicked tight? Creaking while seated? Seatposts clamp/saddle rails clean/greased/tightened wicked tight? Cassette tight?

Creaks are the worst. I had developed a wicked clicking creak from somewhere in my front control area and it was worst when hammering outta the saddle. Pulled everything apart. Used carbon prep on my bar/stem interface. Torqued to spec. Creak still there. Then I said fvck it and sprayed tri flow all over and around the head tube/headset area of the frame and not a creak to be heard since. So stoked to not have had to pull the cups out and whatnot.

A loose rear qr can creak like a Bastid as well as those useless little spring thingys that come with qr skewers.

rog

mtbr member
    Thanks Rog. After the ride tonight, I'll dig into it.

Suggestions for non chain/cassette greasing? I've seen WD40 both suggested and poo-pooed on.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Regular weedy 40 is not a lubricant. Just a loosener. No Bueno.

Tri flow works great, IMO. Thin enough to get into tight areas and has Teflon for lube duties.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For what it's worth...not much, I know, but I used WD40 on my CBR954's chain(145 dyno rwhp) exclusively, and got over 12k miles out of it. Several track days with full throttle, clutchless, near redline upshifts lap after lap. 170 mph on the long straights at Mid Ohio and Grattan.
    I think it'll work on my bicycle chain....
    Just don't spray it in your hub and dilute the grease.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    When I first picked up my Superfly I had lot of creaking and couldn't figure it out...it ended up being the seat and the post. With that said did anyone test ride Muk 3 and compare with Farley 6? Sorry to be asking but most of the shops in my area won't order them unless special order.

mtbr member
    I was between a 2014 Muk 2, Muk 3, and the Farley 6. Obviously went with the Farley - all ridden within a couple days of each other. The Farley, IMO felt slightly better (to me). I got on one, and after a couple pedal strokes, thought, "heck yeah".

I love riding it. I love looking at it. My wife loves it. Our cats are indifferent.

You can click my blog in my signature for a longer write up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i had 6 for a while and sold it. wasnt impressed. we are all different. i now have one of those chinese fat frames and i am super happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well Trek does make solid bike! Currently riding Superfly that I put 2200 miles on this past year...was just curious on the Mukluk because looks like great bike too with solid reviews

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Think I'm pulling the trigger on the 8. I added up what it would cost to upgrade the front hub. Add the bluto and the time messing with it all. And it wasn't much less. Plus the 8 is 1x11 and tubeless ready
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I was between a 2014 Muk 2, Muk 3, and the Farley 6. Obviously went with the Farley - all ridden within a couple days of each other. The Farley, IMO felt slightly better (to me). I got on one, and after a couple pedal strokes, thought, "heck yeah".

I love riding it. I love looking at it. My wife loves it. Our cats are indifferent.

You can click my blog in my signature for a longer write up.
    Dumb cats. Mine went over and sniffed it and one stuck his head between the spokes. Not sure what that meant. They prefer the motorcycles since they can jump up on the seats and pretend they're riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Enjoy! I'm not sure the 1x11 would be better or not, at least for me. I would like to have the Bluto though and I like the color of the 6 a lot more.
    Have you checked into having the spacers made? It can't be that much. It was pretty easy to go tubeless with Gorilla tape and Stan's sealant on the Mule Futs too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    i had 6 for a while and sold it. wasnt impressed. we are all different. i now have one of those chinese fat frames and i am super happy.
    What kind of riding are you doing with it?

mtbr member
    Think I'm pulling the trigger on the 8. I added up what it would cost to upgrade the front hub. Add the bluto and the time messing with it all. And it wasn't much less. Plus the 8 is 1x11 and tubeless ready
    The 6 is tubeless ready as well.

mtbr member
    Another question: I bought a Planet Bike tire guage - seems to work on my other bikes, even the presta valve. But it won't take a reading on my Farely.

Think the tubes on the Farley are just crappy? The valves seem to be kind of cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What kind of riding are you doing with it?
    pretty much my main ride now, so everything i had been doing with my full. my full has been seeing very little action lately.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    pretty much my main ride now, so everything i had been doing with my full. my full has been seeing very little action lately.
    What didn't you like about the 6 that you prefer on your Chinese frame? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i am not very good at analyzing stuff, so all i can say is it just didnt feel right, funny thing is that when i test rode it i really liked it, but as i started to ride it more we just wouldnt click together.

mtbr member
    We likes what we likes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Personal preference, I get it. It would be a boring world if we all rode the same bike, drove the same car, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not sure if the 1x11 is worth it or not. I run a 1x10 now on my FS with a one up 40t and a 30t rf nw ring.
    I just ordered the 8 and paid 2900 out the door. So to me it was about even after i made all the upgrades and spent the time trying to find someone to make the spacers to just paying a shop labor and parts to rebuild the front. And I would of gotten a 30t fro the front. Paid 90 for a One up cog.

That and the matte green is pretty cool

Enjoy! I'm not sure the 1x11 would be better or not, at least for me. I would like to have the Bluto though and I like the color of the 6 a lot more.
    Have you checked into having the spacers made? It can't be that much. It was pretty easy to go tubeless with Gorilla tape and Stan's sealant on the Mule Futs too.
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So I was looking at 1700 for the 6. Bluto - 550, One up - 90, 30t RF - 60, Prob 150 for the front hub and labor. So I would of had about 2550 or so into a 6.
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So I was looking at 1700 for the 6. Bluto - 550, One up - 90, 30t RF - 60, Prob 150 for the front hub and labor. So I would of had about 2550 or so into a 6.
    Does it need a bluto??? If I buy Farley 6 I wouldn't put Bluto on it right away anyway...Tubeless would be first thing on my list

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPeaski View Post
    @Erdok I have a 28" inseam and when sitting on the saddle at riding height I can just touch the floor with my toes.
    Off the saddle with feet flat on the floor I can get fairly comfortably get my fist between the toptube and nutsack.

On a different note, this is how I prettied up the wheels, the picture is not very good as I took it with a phone.

Coulnnt wait for a Farley here in California, the delivery date is March of 2015. I picked up Specialized Fatboy instead with wider tire 6.6. So far I'm happy with it. I lived Trek but I have to go with this for now.
    Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Fatboy

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-image.jpgFFatboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-image.jpg  

Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Doesn't need one but for me yes... Lol
    Rode with one and without and loved it with a bluto and will turn into my all yr around ht
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goobernaculum View Post
    I'm still working my way through the thread but thought I would ask anyway. I am looking for a fatty solely for winter use. Since the Farley appears to only fit 4" tires, how do you all feel about it for snow? Would you buy one/buy it again? Again, I apologize if its been covered but I'm only a couple pages into the thread!

That's my concern too. Trek Rep says 3.8's are the widest the bike can take. ALmost told the shop to order me a Farley 6, until I saw that. I'm now considering a Specialized Fatboy. Trek has done very well by me in the past, but limiting the ability of a fat bike to take fatter tires just screws the bike, in my opinion.

mtbr member

I showed this drawing to my buddy that owns a machine shop and he told me $35.00 each. Now I just have to convince the wife that I need the Bluto. 😱😱

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    I showed this drawing to my buddy that owns a machine shop and he told me $35.00 each. Now I just have to convince the wife that I need the Bluto. 😱😱

$35.00 each set?
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

No $35.00 each because 2 are needed. (I'm sure you knew that). $70.00 a set

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    No $35.00 each because 2 are needed. (I'm sure you knew that). $70.00 a set

You should see if your buddy will give a group discount. I'd be interested either way.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    I (we) can just stick those on both sides of the hub, and we're good to go? They are attached with the QR skewer, but no welding or otherwise attaching them to the hub, right?

They won't scratch up or damage that beautiful blue hub?

Sorry I am an idiot.

mtbr member

I (we) can just stick those on both sides of the hub, and we're good to go? They are attached with the QR skewer, but no welding or otherwise attaching them to the hub, right?

They won't scratch up or damage that beautiful blue hub?

Sorry I am an idiot.
    From what I gathered from the original post they should just fit in the hub. No qr skewer tho. You'll use the 15mm thru axle on the bluto. Shouldn't damage anything. Here's the pic from earlier in the thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1413855105182.jpg  

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Oh that's right, I remember now! Thanks BigVaz!

If Robg68 would be able to have a couple extra made, I would be into purchasing a set.

Any drawbacks to going this route versus a new hub?

mtbr member

Any drawbacks to going this route versus a new hub?
    Only possible drawback i can think of is having adapters instead of one solid hub. Maybe a strength thing? I would think the fork soaking up some of that would offset any added stress on the hub tho. I'm just guessing here...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    At $2900, you got a square deal. I probably would have gotten the 6 and went with the upgrades unless I really wanted 1x11. However, with the 8, I think you got some upgrades on brakes, bars, stem and seat post too, if I'm not mistaken. All in all, I think the overall value is pretty close. Post up pics when it's up and running.

mtbr member

You also have to shim out the rotor and get longer bolts. I want to have him make a set of these and try them before I'd order some for anybody else. Plus I also have to wait till I get the Bluto probably gonna be a while.

mtbr member
    That's cool Robg68, totally don't blame you, ha. So who posted the Bluto and hub adapter pics earlier?

mtbr member

Have fun!

One question for ya; would a carbon fork really make much difference or would you go suspension?
    The Salsa Makwa fork isn't as harsh as the aluminum rig and the 15mm axle is stiffer and preferred to me because of how I mount my bikes in the back of my truck.

The real reason for the Makwa is Weight savings...

Personally I prefer a rigid front end. I feel like it climbs better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This might be unrelated, but my Farley just developed a loud creaking as well. This is noticeable in the bottom bracket/crank/pedal area. My LBS said they think it is the bottom bracket, as they had another customer bring back one a few days ago for the same issue.
    Hopefully I'll get more news today about it, as they were going to call Trek about it.

So the creaking is back. After initially being told it was the cheap pedals that came stock, they put on another pair of cheap ones (and I now have Xpedo Sprys on), and after a couple weeks of slience, the creak slowly came back.

I don't think the LBS would just lube something, and pawn it off on the pedals being cheap, incompetence though possibly. I know it could be a variety of things, but I listened to the "clicking" in the Moto thread when the dude was having an issue with his fork, and that's a lot more click than the "creak" that I get.

Thoughts? I really can't tell if it's the hub or fork, though I'm pretty sure it's not coming from the bottom bracket/crank/pedals area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's prob a good idea to strip the bike as soon as we get it and lube everything.
    So do you guys regret not getting a frame that can go wider than 4" tires? I put a deposit down on a 8 and I keep second guessing myself lol
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    The fact that my 6 can't take bigger than 4 inches in back is in the back of my head, and part of that is me being an ******* - grass is always greener, want what you can't have, etc. But when I get on it and ride, I'm really pumped.

This will be my first fat winter, so I'll know in mid-December whether I should have gone for more clearance. I'm sure I'll be fine, but I'm 95% sure I can go bigger up front.

Your Bluto will definitely take the 5 inchers. You're going to be PUMPED with that bike. The 8 is awesome, and that green is sick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Would you guys upgrade the hodager tires?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    My came with 27TPI HuDus. No idea about the Hodags.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    You should see if your buddy will give a group discount. I'd be interested either way.
    +1 here. Helluva lot cheaper than new hub, spokes and relacing.

Now if they drop the price of the Bluto after a while...or get some competition.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FewDaysOnTrail View Post
    The Salsa Makwa fork isn't as harsh as the aluminum rig and the 15mm axle is stiffer and preferred to me because of how I mount my bikes in the back of my truck.

The real reason for the Makwa is Weight savings...

Personally I prefer a rigid front end. I feel like it climbs better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Does it handle the same as the stock fork?

banned
    Sep 2008
    It's prob a good idea to strip the bike as soon as we get it and lube everything.
    Doing that is probably wicked overkill. Over 20 years building/repairing, and selling bikes and I've never bothered to break a bike down completely to grease everything on a new bike. Start with the obvious like greasing and strong arming chainring bolts, crank bolts before pulling cranks and bb. Many shops don't ever tighten down either of those areas when building new bikes outta the box. Then tighten rear skewer/axle.

It's amazing how creaky even a slightly loose chainring bolt can be.

Lots of leaves coming down and on the trails. Crunchy and loud. Couldn't hear a creak even if I had a spirit breaking one

rog

mtbr member
    Update: turns out the creak was most likely due to a very slightly loose skewer up front. I tightened it up pre-ride and the creak was gone, but yeah, the crunchy leaves make it hard to hear! Thanks for the heads up, newmarketrog.

Next rainy day, I'll go through and make sure everything is tight and lubed. Is there a general guide online that someone suggests/trusts to use for how tight each bolt/area should be?

mtbr member

That's cool Robg68, totally don't blame you, ha. So who posted the Bluto and hub adapter pics earlier?
    Andy586 post #205. He has pics.

2014 Trek Fuel 8-29er. 2015 Trek Farley 6.

mtbr member
    Thanks Robg68, the first name with numbers in the username threw me off as I quickly read through.

mtbr member
    So do you guys regret not getting a frame that can go wider than 4" tires? I put a deposit down on a 8 and I keep second guessing myself lol
    Having ridden two winters in Anchorage AK on a Pugs, and two winters before that on 1.95 inch studs on a full sus, I can safely suggest that for 90% of the riding that people do on these bikes, a 4 inch tire is more than adequate.

I know, the hype is that you'll get all this float and go out there and ride into all these remote ass places and see some cool shiz. And these bikes can do that, to an extent. But there are some things to keep in mind.

1) There are some conditions where, regardless of how big your tires are, you'll be pushing not riding.

2) Riding in unmarked, unpacked, unconsolidated snow is damned hard work made harder due to the efforts you have to take at body temp regulation. I've talked to a lot of folks who bought fat thinking they'd adventure it up to only realize that they don't like the work involved.

3) Most of the time these bikes are ridden on some form of groomed trail - single track that's been ridden in by other riders, track that's been walked down or groomed with some form of pulled implement (old tires anyone?) - a 5 inch tire isn't needed for 'float' in these types of conditions. I've also talked with folks who found the 5 inch to be detrimental on narrow snow single track where you essentially have a 8 to 12 inch wide packed groove to ride that's 6 to 8 inches below the level of the snow around the track. With the wider tires you tend to catch the edges of the track a lot more.

4) Well, there's not really a 4 other than to rehash the points above. I look at it this way - until you've gotten a bit of time and experience under your belt rolling in the snow so you know what conditions you like to and can ride, why worry about things like whether or not your bike'll fit bigger meat? I know - because you want to be able to upgrade later. But if you're like most folks around here, by the time you decide that you 'need' clearance for a 5 incher, you'll also be in the market for a new frame and new groupo anyway.

Ride the hell out of the Farley and use it to learn what makes your fat little heart beat faster.

In relation to the Hodag tire question - I don't think I'd pop for a set of them at 150 each. If you want new rubber, you can get 120 TPI Surly rubber for about that amount or a few bucks more to get a 120 TPI HuDu versus the 60TPI Hodag. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I feel about this tire, but what I've found is it is predictable when it breaks traction for the most part. It's been difficult for me to find the sweet spot between too much and not enough air with it. It is fairly fast rolling on pavement, but seems a bit squirrelly on wet or frosty surfaces.

That said, I am running tubes. They may really come alive tubeless. I'm still debating whether or not that is the right route for me, given my riding patterns.
    Last edited by blockphi; 10-21-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added detail about first two winters of riding in the greatland.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the input. I finally sat on a 6 today and it felt pretty nimble. I want this to he rideable all yr around on my single track trails. I think it will be great as a full time ht 2nd bike. The 3.8's are nice but would eventually try a 4. Or put a 4 on front and go tubeless. What valves did you guys get to go tubeless?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Stan's valves, sealant and a roll of Gorilla tape worked for me. I did have a slight issue getting the rear tire to seal, but I think I just didn't put enough in it at first. Ended up using 6 or 7 ozs. I think. It's been about 3 weeks since I've gone tubeless and they're holding up great and do seem to roll easier and grip better.
    I've read where others are using clear duct/packing tape since it's lighter and having success also.

mtbr member

My Farley 6

I took her for her maiden voyage today:
    2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-img_2954.jpg

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-img_2952.jpg

Quick thoughts on the first ride:
    - I can see how a fatbike could be an everyday trail bike.
    - Traction was friggin' incredible.
    - Rigid is rigid, fat or not. A Bluto is in my future. That said, I need to play with the pressure as I had it too high. I'm going to take it down a bit each ride.
    - Did I mention traction? I loved the fact that I could just ride and not worry about the potentially slippery rock or root.
    - It is just plain fun.
    - I also see a full suspension fatty in my future. For me, it could be my everyday trail bike.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Cannondale Bad Habit
    2015 Niner RLT

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    I took her for her maiden voyage today:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2954.JPG 
Views:	1122 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	933057

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2952.JPG 
Views:	1388 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	933058

Quick thoughts on the first ride:
    - I can see how a fatbike could be an everyday trail bike.
    - Traction was friggin' incredible.
    - Rigid is rigid, fat or not. A Bluto is in my future. That said, I need to play with the pressure as I had it too high. I'm going to take it down a bit each ride.
    - Did I mention traction? I loved the fact that I could just ride and not worry about the potentially slippery rock or root.
    - It is just plain fun.
    - I also see a full suspension fatty in my future. For me, it could be my everyday trail bike.
    Sweet!

As far as rigid being rigid fat or not, not quite. Let some air out and you'll find that a fat tire at under 10 psi is way more comfortable and grippy than say a 29er rigid with 25-30psi. I've been riding primarily rigid since 1987 so I know the difference. I have plenty of time owning and riding suspension on both ends as well and while it's not the same, a tire that can flex, contour, and rebound a few inches is definitely far from rigid.

Enjoy the new whip!

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Sweet!

As far as rigid being rigid fat or not, not quite. Let some air out and you'll find that a fat tire at under 10 psi is way more comfortable and grippy than say a 29er rigid with 25-30psi. I've been riding primarily rigid since 1987 so I know the difference. I have plenty of time owning and riding suspension on both ends as well and while it's not the same, a tire that can flex, contour, and rebound a few inches is definitely far from rigid.

Enjoy the new whip!

rog
    Thanks. I had a Redline Monocog rigid SSer that I put a lot of miles on. The Farley brought back memories but I do think the tire pressure needs to come down and I suspect it will make a difference. The shop set me up at 12. I'm going to try 10 next time. I also think having some better grips than stock would be helpful.

It only really bothered me on the bumpy downhills - and it was more bouncy than it was harsh (which in my very limited Fat experience tells me that was b/c I had too much pressure in the tires).

I'm going to ride her rigid until at least spring before I spend any money.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Also, if you haven't been riding rigid lately it takes some miles to get used to it. It probably took me 10 rides to gain some basic rigid riding skills.

Suspension riders are so used to riding sitting and with locked arms they get pretty beat up the first few rigid rides. Hold on tight, but let the upper body and arms relax and flow. Lift up and down over bigger bumps. Pick your line. Lower the speed if you are getting jackhammered.

mtbr member
    Forgot to post my first snow day pics yesterday - along with random pics from the weekend's ride.
    2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-15396883837_55a1594cad_k.jpg

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-15397293880_6a19329d24_k.jpg

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-15397985000_1e3afb7733_z.jpg

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-15582895425_61c175db1f_k.jpg

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    Also, if you haven't been riding rigid lately it takes some miles to get used to it. It probably took me 10 rides to gain some basic rigid riding skills.

Suspension riders are so used to riding sitting and with locked arms they get pretty beat up the first few rigid rides. Hold on tight, but let the upper body and arms relax and flow. Lift up and down over bigger bumps. Pick your line. Lower the speed if you are getting jackhammered.
    Yes.^^^^^^^ I call riding rigid, riding dynamically, actively, and athletically.

Learn yerself how to flow any terrain while riding rigid. Rigid forces you to be super precise and place your bike where you want it, how, and when. Riding rigid only beats you up if you let it. The body is an amazing machine and all of your bodies moving parts can move in ways that suspension could never duplicate. Be strong, be quick, look ahead, and ride like a ninja cat. Ride rigid

And if that shop set you up at 12psi, they should probably get clued in a bit.

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Yes.^^^^^^^ I call riding rigid, riding dynamically, actively, and athletically.

Learn yerself how to flow any terrain while riding rigid. Rigid forces you to be super precise and place your bike where you want it, how, and when. Riding rigid only beats you up if you let it. The body is an amazing machine and all of your bodies moving parts can move in ways that suspension could never duplicate. Be strong, be quick, look ahead, and ride like a ninja cat. Ride rigid

And if that shop set you up at 12psi, they should probably get clued in a bit.

rog
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be sure to lower the tire pressure, take your advice, and give rigid riding the fair chance it deserves. I loved riding my rigid SSer, but I am way out of practice (and it shows).

In fairness to the shop, they haven't sold many fat bikes as folks around here don't do a lot of winter riding. I was thinking about going to 10 tomorrow and see how that works and going lower if I need be. I'm not going to lie, pressure that low is new and a bit scary to me.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I got my Farley 6 on Friday and went and did some rooty singletrack. At 10 psi the ride was a little harsh, and I was bouncing all over. Around 7, the tires started soaking up the bumps, and still felt "alive." Since then I've been running 6.5 in the front and 8 in the back and it feels like a winner. Do bear in mind that it's set up tubeless and I only weigh 130 lbs.

mtbr member

Your air pressure depends on your weight and terrain that your riding. I run 10 in the back and 9 in the front riding rooted and rocky single track. I'm thinking of dropping another half pound in both tires. But I also weigh 270 pounds. My buddy rides 8 and 7 and he's 190 pounds. It's a learning experience, get yourself a good digital pressure gauge and try different pressures. It's amazing how a pound makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    12 lbs or higher for riding on paved surfaces is advisable, much easier rolling and steering. I think the shop had 15 lbs when I picked mine up. Experimenting at the trail before I got a low pressure gauge, I went way low...measured it the next day when the gauge came in the mail and I was at 3.5 rear, 2.5 front! It's a wonder I didn't bend a rim! Now I've settled on about 6 front, 7 rear for rooty, rocky trail riding. It's still a little bouncy, I may drop it a bit more next time and see how it feels. I may have to go up a bit, not sure. Of course, YMMV. Depends on rider weight, speed(I'm a slow noob), terrain, what tires you have and other factors I'm sure.
    A big +1 on being loose and letting the bike move around under you. I learned that quick riding dirt bikes...and they have 12 inches of squish!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Oh yeah, I weigh about 180.

mtbr member
    I weigh 300lbs and run at 18lbs front & back. Works for me...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    18?! That sounds kinda high, but if it works, it works.

mtbr member
    18?! That sounds kinda high, but if it works, it works.
    I don't like the pogo stick affect when I air down. Plus I like rolling fast.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Do you get any 'give' at 18 though? I've found that too high is bouncy and too low is bouncy, there's a 'sweet spot' in the middle where it just soaks up stuff.

mtbr member
    Maybe a little bit of give... not much tho. As I said previously, I'll definitely be investing in a bluto before next spring.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah...I probably will too. I think it'll be better, smoother...faster!
    Even when the pressure feels right, big hits can deflect the front and throw me off line.
    Hopefully, the Bluto will have some cheaper competition soon.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast