Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    You already know how my fat bike search ends, but here's a write-up of the buying process. It starts out with me selling a guitar to fund the fattie, if the beginning confuses you at all.

heck yeah, man: we got fat!

mtbr member
    What were some of your quick upgrades to your Trek?

mtbr member
    I didn't really do much; it's my first fatbike so I'll see how it handles the winter before making any splashes. But here's what I've done and want to do:

I bought a pair of Sun Ringle ZuZus pedals, pick them up this weekend.
    Swapped out for some ergo grips from my mountain bike.

Looking to:

Add carbon handlebars.

Possibly:

Add a carbon fork or a Bluto.

Other than that, will upgrade parts as they need replacing. It's hard for me to justify swapping out perfectly functioning parts (example: carbon fork).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I used my Farley for training last night.
    I chased a little Euro chick around on her CX bike.
    It felt good!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, Bluto's now fitted to the "6" ..so far so good :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Looks good, how did you do the 15 mm through axel?

Quote Originally Posted by andy586 View Post
    Well, Bluto's now fitted to the "6" ..so far so good :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    take the QR end caps off and the axle beneath is 15mm :-)

mtbr member
    Turns out one of the shops by me is full of sh↑t... Telling me the bluto wouldn't work. Lol. Glad I didn't order my farley there.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    So it was pretty easy to make the hubs Bluto-compatible? What spacers did you use? And if you don't mind, what was the approximate cost to make the bike/hubs compatible?

Edit: looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    So it was pretty easy to make the hubs Bluto-compatible? What spacers did you use? And if you don't mind, what was the approximate cost to make the bike/hubs compatible?

Edit: looks awesome!
    ok spacers to position the rotor 3x2mm and 1x1mm 8 ...longer M5x16mm rotor bolts 1.50 and a local machine shop turned the 2 hub adapters for 30 .... bloke said they should be more, but he was intrigued to see the results ....should have been more like 60 but cost would go down if wanted 20 or more doing at a time etc??....

heres the diagram that he used to mill them...

just been out for another 14 mile ride through the dunes, beach and through pine forest .....all works great, no problems at all :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just got my Race face 36 T bash ring and can confirm it fits perfectly. No interference or contact with anything.
    Not nearly as exciting as getting a Bluto but at least I won't worry about trashing my big ring on a log or rock! Too bad it's raining in the craptastic state of Ohio. ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    Just got my Race face 36 T bash ring and can confirm it fits perfectly. No interference or contact with anything.
    Not nearly as exciting as getting a Bluto but at least I won't worry about trashing my big ring on a log or rock! Too bad it's raining in the craptastic state of Ohio. ...
    Post up some pics!
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    lbs just called to say my bike is ready! Picking her up tomorrow. Super pumped off!!
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Bike shop called me earlier today and said bike came in this morning and for me to pick up at 5PM. Its a 21.5" frame. Took it for a ride around the block, i hope it doesn't rain all weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevo-66 View Post
    LOL!!

You guys are not roadies
    We base our training on power and heart rate with intervals and specific routines. A bit more than pedalling but the same thing at the end of the day.
    With trails its harder to get that same smooth road section to maintain that wattage...yeah its a trail bike but looking to use it for training.

Maybe we should just skip the training portion and stick to the bike
    Do you get snow where you live? If so, go ride in three inches of fresh wet snow and see how your roadie legs feel afterwards (Oh yeah, best stop shaving now, you'll need the insulation)

I ride my Pugsley - possibly soon to be Farley every. Single. Day. year round. I don't worry about wattage, power, or any of that crap. Just ride it as hard as I can wherever and whenever I can. Each spring I'm able to embarrass roadies just coming off of a winter of trainer riding. I'm also able to keep up with or pass some roadies on a local hill climb route (4k gain from sea level in 20 or so miles). Riding snow is a pretty dang good workout routine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sweet!

That is exactly the idea, we have training camp in March and with the snow we have and the trails close by there will be plenty of time to make some really strong legs.
    Getting on my 13.5lb road bike will be a joke after this winter.

I just came back from Italy after climbing the biggest road climbs over 7 days, I was easily the fastest in our club for a few weeks.... The fat bike will keep me there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm about to order Farley 6 and I'm still debating on the size. I'm 5'6 1/2 and not sure if I should go 15 1/2 or 17 1/2.
    Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey Rog68 did you get yours from Travis He text me today saying my xl farley 8 came in today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ERDOK View Post
    I'm about to order Farley 6 and I'm still debating on the size. I'm 5'6 1/2 and not sure if I should go 15 1/2 or 17 1/2.
    Check the stand over height, I'm 5-10 and could not decide between 17.5 or 19.5. When I looked at the stand over clearance that's when it became clear...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Hallett6103 View Post
    Hey Rog68 did you get yours from Travis He text me today saying my xl farley 8 came in today.
    No. I got mine from a shop in Kankakee Illinois.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ERDOK View Post
    The bar is really low: 30 inseam here and the 17 1/2 clear very very well. They are made that way, to be low standover for the snow.

mtbr member

Re: 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Finally here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1412439239921.jpg  

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    Post up some pics!
    Ok
    http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...pspxzfwjna.jpg
    http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...psxlisxv7t.jpg
    http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...psapavoasu.jpg

I gotta make a work stand, using my cheapo hitch rack now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Huh! Yours came with blue rim tape?

mtbr member

Which ring is that? I know race face had a few different ones. And it was a direct bolt on?

I bought surly blue rim strips immediately because my buddy has the same bike. Too award to show up at the trailhead with the same style... lol
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's the Raceface 36T lite. Just remove the tabs on the big ring and bolt on and go! It comes in blue too....I thought about it, but it didn't look like the blue would match the cranks and hubs, the pics looked darker so I got the black one.

I thought about putting some blue duct tape in for rim tape when I did the tubeless setup but couldn't find any and got impatient. Yours looks good!

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm with you on the bash ring color. Probably go black as well.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I like it. Best part is I won't wuss out when crossing the big logs now...well at least I won't be worried about smashing the ring and/or chain! I just started mtb riding about 6 weeks ago, thought it would be good cross training for riding dirtbikes. Now I'm hooked on mtb riding! It's as much if not more fun!

mtbr member

I'm hooked on mtb riding! It's as much if not more fun!
    I couldn't agree more! It's a blast, plus you're exercising. Not that motocross isn't hard, it's just a different animal.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, I'm not into motocross, just trail riding and dual sport rides, but I was getting wore out quick from all the stand/sit/stand/sit. I figured mtb riding would get my legs in better shape. I was absolutely correct.

I started out with a Trek X Cal 8 hardtail and it was beating the crap out me! The front wasn't bad but the no rear suspension I just wasn't used to having 12 inches of travel frt/rear on my WR250f. I traded the X Cal in on the Farley 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier! It's like having short travel suspension on both ends. I roll over stuff with it w/o a thought that used to freak me out a little on the hardtail.

mtbr member
    It's the Raceface 36T lite.
    Is this the "Regular" or the "Fat Tab"?
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Forgot that detail, I got the regular one. Not sure exactly what the difference is between them.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djk69 View Post
    Check the stand over height, I'm 5-10 and could not decide between 17.5 or 19.5. When I looked at the stand over clearance that's when it became clear...
    cockpit length trumps stand over height. just sayin

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    cockpit length trumps stand over height. just sayin

rog
    Exactly. Get a bike that fits for riding, not standing. I probably go weeks at a time without standing over the bar once on a ride.

I'm between a large and medium, and regret getting a medium fatbike. My seat is maxed to the back with a offset seatpost which has the effect of shifting my center of gravity to the rear. When riding in soft conditions, the rear tire typically is the one to sink in first--a more aft CG makes that even worse.

mtbr member

First Fatbike

Hi all, I'd been thinking of getting a 'fatty' for ages but never did anything about it.
    Last week after I finished a ride at a local trail, I popped into the shop on site and saw the Farley 6 and was stunned. The display one (19.5") was too big for me so the guys in the shop said they'd set a 15.5" to try out.
    On Friday (3rd) I went back to give it a go and loved it. I've now joined the club.
    This is a picture of it completely stock after having a clean up from its first ride straight after buying it.
    So far the only change has been an Answer carbon bar, but in the near future will go tubeless and add a bash ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Good choice, I love mine! Already went tubeless and got the bash ring; see above posts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPeaski View Post
    Hi all, I'd been thinking of getting a 'fatty' for ages but never did anything about it.
    Last week after I finished a ride at a local trail, I popped into the shop on site and saw the Farley 6 and was stunned. The display one (19.5") was too big for me so the guys in the shop said they'd set a 15.5" to try out.
    On Friday (3rd) I went back to give it a go and loved it. I've now joined the club.
    This is a picture of it completely stock after having a clean up from its first ride straight after buying it.
    So far the only change has been an Answer carbon bar, but in the near future will go tubeless and add a bash ring.

Cool choice. I ordered 15 1/2 and I'm 5'6". What's your height?
    Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Erdok, I'm the same as you about 5'6"
    After the first ride, I swapped the bars for a set of Answer Protaper Carbon AM (720), these have a similar sweep but the rise is 25mm instead of the 15mm on the stock bar. Flipping the stem over put them back to the stock position.
    I also pushed the seat back to the max on the rail markings.
    Haven't been able to take it out again, but It'll be coming away with me on holiday so will be able to ride more.

@not2shabby - Yeah, read your posts, was looking at the same one, also like the look of the Straitline Silent bashring too. Considered the Hope one as well but its a 36-38 which I think might give problems with the front mech.
    Cheers for the comments

mtbr member

Just finished installing colored Duct Tape in the wheels.

mtbr member
    The blue tape looks sick. A little more flair.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

The blue tape looks sick. A little more flair.
    Thanks. The tape I used is 3M Duct Tape. The color is called sea blue. I got it at Home Depot.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    Thanks. The tape I used is 3M Duct Tape. The color is called sea blue. I got it at Home Depot.

I went the easy route and just got surly blue strips...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1412541121933.jpg  

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

I went the easy route and just got surly blue strips...
    I didn't want to order them if the blue didn't match or was close but those look awesome. Do u by any chance have a part number on those??

mtbr member

I don't. The lbs ordered them for me. They're not a perfect match, but close enough for me.

Here's a pic with no filter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1412543318666.jpg  

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    I believe that there is only one shade of blue surly rim strip

mtbr member
    Haven't got any pictures yet, but I pulled out the stock strip and used some squares of blue self adhesive vinyl used in sign making, car graphics etc and stuck it over every other 'bubble' to give a black/blue skip look.
    I think any coloured rimstrip just finishes the bike off.

mtbr member

I don't. The lbs ordered them for me. They're not a perfect match, but close enough for me.

Here's a pic with no filter
    Thanks. I'll have to have my LBS order me up a set.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member

Just finished up a 9 mile singletrack ride. Once i get some time I'll post up a mini review and my thoughts vs my Fuel ex8.

Here's a teaser shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1412549762790.jpg  

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Dammit! I should have done blue strips when I went tubeless, don't want to hassle with cleaning the Stan's out now. That really sets the wheels off!

Nah...I'm gonna 1 up you guys and strip the rims and get them anodized blue to match the cranks and hubs and leave the strips black.

Just kidding....but that would look good.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure they make blue Rolling Darryl's... Just sayin.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

Just finished up a 9 mile singletrack ride. Once i get some time I'll post up a mini review and my thoughts vs my Fuel ex8.

Here's a teaser shot.
    I can't wait to read what your thoughts are comparing the 2 bikes. I also have a Fuel 8-29er.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm pretty sure they make blue Rolling Darryl's... Just sayin.
    Hmmm, nah! I like the Mule Futs. Plus it would probably be cheaper to get them anodized than buy new wheels. I'll do the blue tape eventually. Already spent enough $$$!

Where's that review you mentioned? I'm curious!

mtbr member

First impressions, this is a really fun bike to ride. Lots of comments from hikers & joggers, all of which were positive.

I won't get into the components vs the ex8 because it isn't a fair fight. Shifting on the ex8 is silky & the slx brakes are amazing. The avid brakes are lacking & needed a lot of pull to feel confident. A two finger job in other words... I'm a one finger kinda guy. The two fingers had me feeling a bit sketchy on the downhills.

Climbing goes to the fuel. The super short chainstays on the Farley had the front end feeling REALLY light on any steep climb. The Farley did climb well, but wasn't overly confidence inspiring on the steep stuff.

My hands and arms were a little sore, so I ordered a set of lock-ons with a larger diameter. Kinda surprised the Farley didn't come with lock-ons to begin with. If the problem persists I'll get a set of carbon bars.

One thing the Farley does really well is carry speed. It accelerates faster than I had expected and really holds the speed. Being used to FS now I nailed a small log-over at a pretty good clip and caught a little more air than I was expecting (almost ate it). The fuel would just kinda roll over it as if to say "meh"...

I do think a Bluto or some sort of suspension would really bring this thing to life on the singletrack, but at the end of the day (at least for me) there's no way it could replace my Fuel.

To close it out, the Farley is absolutely a blast and I'm really happy I bought one. If I had to choose one or the other... I'm sticking with the FS 29er. For me, I just love the speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1412554284379.jpg  

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1412554319558.jpg  

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1412554447013.jpg  

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep, the front does get light on steep inclines like ravine dips. I've had a few unintended wheelies several times, especially when hitting roots while climbing.
    I swapped the grips with some ESI extra chunky's and they are comfy for me and haven't slipped at all. I have long fingers and like the thicker grips.
    You guys keep pooping on the Avids...guess I need to try some better brakes, but so far they've done the job for me. Then again, I am a slow noob!
    And yep, those fat tires like to keep rollin' don't they?!

I gotta get a test ride on a nice FS bike some day. Or maybe not. I can't afford another toy!
    Last edited by not2shabby; 10-07-2014 at 07:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong, the avids are decent brakes. Better than bb7's I had on my last bike. The slx's have ruined it for everyone else tho... They're the best brakes I've used.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'll put the SLX's on the 'future upgrade' list...along with the Bluto or carbon fork, dropper post, carbon handlebars....etc, etc.

mtbr member

I'll put the SLX's on the 'future upgrade' list...along with the Bluto or carbon fork, dropper post, carbon handlebars....etc, etc.
    True true...

The farley6 really is a great bike for the $$$. The people that say fatbikes can be 4 season bikes ...Well, I can't get on board with that. They have their place. Until I ride a FS fatty that can convert me I'll be on the other side of that argument.

I think some people get amped up on a new bike and think it's the perfect tool for the job. I'm just trying to be objective.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

banned
    Sep 2008
    a fat bike is simply more capable than a non fat bike.

that would make it the best tool overall.

rog

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    a fat bike is simply more capable than a non fat bike.

that would make it the best tool overall.

rog
    That's why they make chocolate & vanilla ice cream... Everyone has their own tastes.

Yours is just wrong
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

banned
    Sep 2008
    nope. sand/mud/snow/rocks/roots/steeps/trail less woods/back country=fat tires win all day long.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, I only have the X Cal to compare it to, but I think it'll do for me. At least till I get a lot more experience.
    It's like motorcycles, there is no one 'perfect' bike for all conditions. Lord knows, I've spent enough $$$$ trying to achieve that goal.

mtbr member
    It's all relative to the types of trails you ride and your riding style.

I'll never be as fast on my farley as I am on my fuel. Speed is what's important to me and that's where I set the bar.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Meh, I'm too old to worry about being really fast, just wanna have fun and not get killed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Erdok, I'm the same as you about 5'6"
    After the first ride, I swapped the bars for a set of Answer Protaper Carbon AM (720), these have a similar sweep but the rise is 25mm instead of the 15mm on the stock bar. Flipping the stem over put them back to the stock position.
    I also pushed the seat back to the max on the rail markings.
    Haven't been able to take it out again, but It'll be coming away with me on holiday so will be able to ride more.

@not2shabby - Yeah, read your posts, was looking at the same one, also like the look of the Straitline Silent bashring too. Considered the Hope one as well but its a 36-38 which I think might give problems with the front mech.
    Cheers for the comments

how's your stan over? does it fit you right?
    Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    @Erdok I have a 28" inseam and when sitting on the saddle at riding height I can just touch the floor with my toes.
    Off the saddle with feet flat on the floor I can get fairly comfortably get my fist between the toptube and nutsack.

On a different note, this is how I prettied up the wheels, the picture is not very good as I took it with a phone.

mtbr member
    My first ride, straight out of the shop was just short of 13 miles, it was on the same trail I regularly ride on my Nukeproof Mega AM.
    Now while I had a real blast with a huge grin on my face I don't think it the Farley would replace the Mega as I like the suspension too much.
    I did manage to get a couple of PR's though mainly climbing!

http://www.strava.com/activities/202869463

I think for me the Farley will compliment the Mega and take over the winter rides so it will mean I can ride more.
    Cube Stereo 140 C62
    Trek Farley 6
    Planet X RTD 80 Road Bike
    Nukeproof Mega AM

mtbr member
    After picking up the Farley 6, it only took one ride: my hardtail 29er is for sale.

mtbr member
    I popped into the shop on Friday and they got in an 8. Wow, it looks sick. The green finish is pretty much matte, and looks a lot better than online. Pretty light too.

Also, I threw some pics up on my blog (of my Farley 6), cause it uploaded kinda janky here five or six pages back: heck yeah, man: we got fat!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I really wish there was more cage mounts on the fork... Not that i'd cancel my order, but i'm trying to figure out a way to get some cages on there... hmmmmm???
    Look @ two fish .com.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @Erdok I have a 28" inseam and when sitting on the saddle at riding height I can just touch the floor with my toes.
    Off the saddle with feet flat on the floor I can get fairly comfortably get my fist between the toptube and nutsack.

On a different note, this is how I prettied up the wheels, the picture is not very good as I took it with a phone.

How did you came up with that? I'm thinking of doing the same thing by replacing that tape. Sadly I have no ETA on the bike yet from the dealer, maybe couple more weeks before I get my Farley here in CA.
    Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Its reflective tape u can buy it from the tapecase. There link is on my signature below./2inch by 5 yrd roll will do 2 rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone put a rear rack on their Farley yet? I'm not too crazy about the frame bags and was thinking about a rack to strap a bag on when needed. Something really lite, I'm not planning any long bike trips or anything.

mtbr member
    I took the original rimstrip out and used some self adhesive vinyl on every other bubble and put it back in.
    Cube Stereo 140 C62
    Trek Farley 6
    Planet X RTD 80 Road Bike
    Nukeproof Mega AM

mtbr member
    I went for a ride yesterday on my Farley & got a PR on the fastest dh section on my local trail... only 2 other mtb riders are faster there, Soooo there's that...

*Hangs head in shame
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hmmmm, thought you said it was slow?!! Go ahead....order the Bluto and put your FS bike up for sale!

J/K! Glad you're enjoying the big girl. I got out tonight for a 13 mile cruise on bike paths; it's been raining for the last 4 days here so no trail riding. : (

I think I'm going through withdrawl.

mtbr member
    Yeah dude, not riding sucks...

And yeah, turns out it rips pretty damn good... Now back on my fuel to get that PR...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Have fun!

One question for ya; would a carbon fork really make much difference or would you go suspension?

mtbr member
    I've yet to ride a carbon fork, but if I'm spending that kind of money I'd rather "fork" over another $150-200 & have suspension.

I'm planning to upgrade next spring. Hopefully Fox throws their hat in the fat fork ring...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think I will stay loyal to Trek! Seeing how much fun you guys are having getting me jealous...Been pounding my Superfly for the last year so she needs a playmate Love the black and blue paint job. How is the black on the bike?
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    It's got a bit of sparkle in it. Looks good in person.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I watched a video where someone mounted a gopro angled to watch their Bluto and I was surprised to see how much travel it used. I can only imagine how smooth the ride would be over gnarley crap. Combine that with a Thudbuster and I think that would be awesome.
    Yeah, I'm holding off till some more options are available too. Competition should lower the prices hopefully. And I told myself I was just gonna ride it the way it is and be happy...it's really pretty good as is...but every 2 wheeled vehicle I've ever owned ends up getting modded. Hi, my name is Greg and I have a problem...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep, the sparkle is nice. I don't think it's really black, it's more of a really dark charcoal/gray/gunmetal color.

mtbr member
    So, question. My bike came with 27tpi Husker Dus instead of the Hodags. I can't remember if it's actually 27tpi; I know it's not the higher end ones.

The traction is great, but I'm getting a little self steer when I let a little air out. My pressure gauge is wonky/been too busy riding to figure out how to attach the g*ddamn thing to get a decent reading.

Would a nicer tire eliminate that self-steer? The bike is, for lack of better words, fast as f*ck, on flats when it's inflated more, but obviously that's not ideal for trail riding.

That leads me to want a Bluto. But possibly a nicer tire would handle lower pressures a little better. Note that it's not anywhere near bad, just whipping that thing around tight corners on a (maybe over)-inflated tire is a sweet feeling.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Anyone put a rear rack on their Farley yet? I'm not too crazy about the frame bags and was thinking about a rack to strap a bag on when needed. Something really lite, I'm not planning any long bike trips or anything.
    Just picked mine up yesterday and had the shop install an Old Man Mountain Sherpa rack. I use it with the Ortlieb Backroller panniers and it seems to work fairly well overall. Not too heavy and it sits nicely on the bike.

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-15463717056_7cb4ebe413_z.jpg

After only one short trail ride and this morning's commute, I can say I like the bike quite a bit. I'm still trying to get things dialed in, but overall it's not bad. It's not my Pugsley - be that good or bad, I'm not sure yet.

This weekend I'll be swapping the stock Ride cranks for my Turbine cranks off of my Pugs - a bit stiffer. I'll also likely swap the BB as well as I upgraded the bearings on the Turbine BB, so just makes sense for me with the amount of riding I do. I'm also going to get rid of the saddle - just can't get it to feel right. Probably just swap it for my Pure V from the Pugs as well. The biggest change I want to make is removing the dang pie plate! I hate those things! Odd - last night I tried to pull the cassette and the lock ring just wouldn't budge.

mtbr member
    For Pie Plate removal, I use needle nose pliers and break it off. Makes a mess, but easiest and quickest method that works for me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Blockphi, nice rack! (Don't take that the wrong way! ) With saddle bags you could take enough stuff for a long weekend trip I'd think. How much do they weigh?

mtbr member
    The bags are a couple of pounds each, empty. Though I generally only use one bag. The rack... not sure how much that weighs. I've had the bags loaded up with about 30 pounds each before. They can take a lot of weight, but I'm always worried the clips will break if they get too heavy. My normal daily packing usually weighs in around 20 pounds or so in the morning with clothes, coffee, and lunch. A bit less in the afternoon - obviously. Off road touring is not so great with the panniers as they tend to bounce a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was looking at some racks this morning that just bolt on the seat post and are rated for about 20 lbs. Do you think they would hold up to trail riding with maybe 5 to 10 lbs strapped to them. I think the one I liked was a Blackburn.

mtbr member
    I was looking at some racks this morning that just bolt on the seat post and are rated for about 20 lbs. Do you think they would hold up to trail riding with maybe 5 to 10 lbs strapped to them. I think the one I liked was a Blackburn.
    Not sure. I've never used one personally, but I do see a number of them around. I'd be wary about riding off road with one, personally.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's awesome. I'm not a big fan of the black on my Superfly...blah blah black. I had old cannondale with sparkly black and it looked great.
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member

I decided to take the Farley to a beach today just to see how she rides...

She rides well!

mtbr member
    It's true, in person, it looks better than online. The black is almost has a deep, dark bluish/greyish hue to it. Same with the 8 - where the green looks better in person, and is almost more of a matte.

Yep, the sparkle is nice. I don't think it's really black, it's more of a really dark charcoal/gray/gunmetal color.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member

The black is like a smokey black. It looks WAY better in person than online.

2014 Trek Fuel 8-29er. 2015 Trek Farley 6.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I definitely agree the Farley 6 frame looks much better in person than in photos however I'm having trouble with the finish being very fragile - I had a battery pack on the top tube last night and the fabric straps have worn through the paint, there's a few other marks already as well. Is there anything I can put on the frame to protect it? I've seen small adhesive patches for cable rub but I'm wondering if there's something larger I can wrap round the top tube to give it some protection.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of matte paint on anything getting muddy or scraped up. Gloss is so much easier to maintain.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    I definitely agree the Farley 6 frame looks much better in person than in photos however I'm having trouble with the finish being very fragile - I had a battery pack on the top tube last night and the fabric straps have worn through the paint, there's a few other marks already as well. Is there anything I can put on the frame to protect it? I've seen small adhesive patches for cable rub but I'm wondering if there's something larger I can wrap round the top tube to give it some protection.

John
    I've seen people use inner tubes. Pretty cheap fix if you have one laying around.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

Here is a pretty good picture that shows the color on the 6.

2014 Trek Fuel 8-29er. 2015 Trek Farley 6.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've seen people use inner tubes. Pretty cheap fix if you have one laying around.
    Or some clear packing tape. Just replace when it starts looking bad. Wax the paint 1st.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I got a major score on a Yakima holdup 2 rack on an online auction my wife showed me. Only problem was it was actually the plus 2 to make it a 4 bike rack. Crap. Long story short, I found a replacement spine for the holdup 2 at etrailer and still got the rack for under $200!
    Here it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Down position.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast