Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    27

    2015 specialized Fatboy crankset to 1x

    Have you guys made the swap I want to convert to a 1x on my Fatboy I've bashed my large ring to much and never use it is there a easy swap over crankset available? What make n models have you guys used? Thanks!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobike200 View Post
    Have you guys made the swap I want to convert to a 1x on my Fatboy I've bashed my large ring to much and never use it is there a easy swap over crankset available? What make n models have you guys used? Thanks!!
    You can always just use the crankset you already have to do it cost efficiently.

    You'll need shorter chainring bolts or Raceface shims (about $10 for either), the 1x ring ($40+) and if you're cassette isn't at least a 10 speed you will probably want a new cassette and might need deraileur too.

    It's easy enough to do even if you haven't done it before. Getting the bike tools will cost about $40 but well worth owning.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,131
    Depends which 2015 Fatboy you have.

    On the standard Fatboy with the Samox crank you can just swap to a Narrow Wide Race face or other brand 104BCD ring, however you are limited to 30T or larger.

    With the Fatboy Expert, you can swap to a direct mount e13 ring. I'd recommend using the e13 boost ring as it gives the best chainline.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Depends which 2015 Fatboy you have.

    On the standard Fatboy with the Samox crank you can just swap to a Narrow Wide Race face or other brand 104BCD ring, however you are limited to 30T or larger.

    With the Fatboy Expert, you can swap to a direct mount e13 ring. I'd recommend using the e13 boost ring as it gives the best chainline.
    I just realized today that the 17 comp carbon I just bought is a direct mount. 30t is the largest I can go? I was planning on a 32t front and 11-46 rear

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    I just realized today that the 17 comp carbon I just bought is a direct mount. 30t is the largest I can go? I was planning on a 32t front and 11-46 rear

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Completely different bike than the 2015 aluminum framed Fatboys. It will depend on your chainstay clearance, Race face makes up to a 42T ring for that crank, but not sure what the limit will be on that frame.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    27
    Yes I have the standard Fatboy with samox

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    27
    If I can only get a 30-32 chainring it defeats my purpose the terrain I'm in I only use the small ring which I believe is a 24 I could be wrong but I know is around there with out looking online but would like to stay around that 28 tops

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    You can always just use the crankset you already have to do it cost efficiently.

    You'll need shorter chainring bolts or Raceface shims (about $10 for either), the 1x ring ($40+) and if you're cassette isn't at least a 10 speed you will probably want a new cassette and might need deraileur too.

    It's easy enough to do even if you haven't done it before. Getting the bike tools will cost about $40 but well worth owning.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    So I can use what I have for chainring now just eliminate the large chainring ? I do have a 10sp cassette

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobike200 View Post
    So I can use what I have for chainring now just eliminate the large chainring ? I do have a 10sp cassette
    You could probably get away with it but a narrow wide ring is highly recommended to prevent chain drops. A clutched derailer helps but I run a couple xc bikes with just the narrow wide ring and normal deraileur.

    But yes, if you already have a 2x10 just remove the rings, front derailleur and front shift pod. Then you really just need to get a narrow wide chainring. That's the cheapest route.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    You could probably get away with it but a narrow wide ring is highly recommended to prevent chain drops. A clutched derailer helps but I run a couple xc bikes with just the narrow wide ring and normal deraileur.

    But yes, if you already have a 2x10 just remove the rings, front derailleur and front shift pod. Then you really just need to get a narrow wide chainring. That's the cheapest route.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    If I have to purchase a new crankset I will I just want it to work correctly n I'm thinking a 26 chainring the narrow wide is too large

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315
    If you do buy all new stuff then just upgrade to a 10/11-46t cassette too.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,999
    In order to do it nice, get a Raceface Aefect crankset and a Cinch narrow wide ring of your choice. Then really go to hell with yourself and grab an 11 speed cassette with like an 11-46 tooth count. You'll need a shifter and derailleur too.
    I built two bikes like this for family members. Works really well.
    I like turtles

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315
    This is what I'm running for a crankset. Hoping to fit a 32t ring (28 now) with the 11-46 cassette and M8000 group.


    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315


    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    In order to do it nice, get a Raceface Aefect crankset and a Cinch narrow wide ring of your choice. Then really go to hell with yourself and grab an 11 speed cassette with like an 11-46 tooth count. You'll need a shifter and derailleur too.
    I built two bikes like this for family members. Works really well.
    That's the one I was looking at and as I was shopping it seemed every place when ordering says it won't fit the ph30 bb did you change your bb and if so what did you use
    Thanks

  16. #16
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobike200 View Post
    That's the one I was looking at and as I was shopping it seemed every place when ordering says it won't fit the ph30 bb did you change your bb and if so what did you use
    Thanks
    Both bikes I did had threaded bottom brackets so I used Shimano. I didn't think of that. Is your frame press fit?
    I like turtles

  17. #17
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,999
    I just checked. Your frame is press fit. Damn.
    I just emailed Praxis Works and asked if they might ever make one of their adapter bottom brackets for fat bikes. I've used their stuff in Salsa Spearfish frames with excellent results.

    Wolftooth Components makes narrow wide chainrings that bolt to your crankset. For the 104 bolts they have 30 tooth and 32 tooth. For the 64 they make a 26 and a 28.
    I built my son a bike a couple of years ago with the 26 in the granny position and the bash guard on the 104. It chainline was perfect and it worked flawlessly but when he was 10 or 11 he couldn't rock the 1x10 on hills. Ended up going to 2x with a 22 tooth granny.
    I like turtles

  18. #18
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,999
    https://www.alltricks.com/F-11907-bo...racket_to_24mm

    Anyone know if this would work without the tube? I've never had a press fit bike.
    I like turtles

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    In order to do it nice, get a Raceface Aefect crankset and a Cinch narrow wide ring of your choice. Then really go to hell with yourself and grab an 11 speed cassette with like an 11-46 tooth count. You'll need a shifter and derailleur too.
    I built two bikes like this for family members. Works really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I just checked. Your frame is press fit. Damn.
    I just emailed Praxis Works and asked if they might ever make one of their adapter bottom brackets for fat bikes. I've used their stuff in Salsa Spearfish frames with excellent results.

    Wolftooth Components makes narrow wide chainrings that bolt to your crankset. For the 104 bolts they have 30 tooth and 32 tooth. For the 64 they make a 26 and a 28.
    I built my son a bike a couple of years ago with the 26 in the granny position and the bash guard on the 104. It chainline was perfect and it worked flawlessly but when he was 10 or 11 he couldn't rock the 1x10 on hills. Ended up going to 2x with a 22 tooth granny.
    Maybe I'll try that like your son had the 1x10 would work for me perfect my only issue is I smash the hell out of my large chainring n I never use is

  20. #20
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,999
    https://www.raceface.com/products/de...x-type-adapter

    I did a little asking around. I believe this is what you need.
    I like turtles

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    27
    Thank you so much for your advice and research! So appreciative

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315
    I have a question now. What ring to it want for my 2017 Comp Carbon with Raceface Turbine cranks, the top one? I've never used a direct mount ring!

    Also, does anyone know of the carbon frames have the serial number stamped on them or just on the ugly sticker under the top tube?


    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,999
    I would think it's the bottom one that says it's for Raceface Cinch. Do your cranks say Cinch on them anywhere?
    I like turtles

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I would think it's the bottom one that says it's for Raceface Cinch. Do your cranks say Cinch on them anywhere?
    Yeah that's the other I was thinking. Mine doesn't say cinch anywhere but maybe the Specialized site has more info.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,999
    That's your bike in the pics above, right? I'm 99% sure that's Cinch.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 5 Days Ago at 12:50 PM.
    I like turtles

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    74
    I use the same setup as dubya3 on my 2014 Fatboy. RF Turbine. Ditched the Samox because you can't go below 30T on a 1x1. I use a RF narrow wide 26T chainring. 12-42 out back. Mistake I made was ordering the wrong sized spindle. Fortunately you can change out the spindles on those RF cranks. Measure your Samox spindle before ordering. and check with RF for your model Fatboy. I went with the 100mm spindle second go 'round and it worked.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    That's your bike in the pics above, right? I'm 99% sure that's Cinch.
    Yeah I checked earlier on the Spesh site, it's a Cinch.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Specialized fatboy crankset
    By David00 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2016, 07:52 PM
  2. new to me - 2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert
    By ckracing* in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2016, 03:26 PM
  3. 2015 Specialized Fatboy SE?
    By DirtDiver in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 08:27 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2015, 08:58 PM
  5. 2015 Specialized FatBoy SL?
    By Larsey in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2014, 08:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •