mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2015 Salsa Beargrease 2

Hello,
    I didn't see a thread on this yet, so I thought I would start it to let Beargrease 2 (or even carbon) owners talk. first, I paid full price, and had to sacrifice a lot to get the money. So I may be bias..

This is my second Fatty, however I have been riding trails since the early 90s. I'm also a newb on the forum (long-time lurker).

I wanted a Beargrease due to the geometry and weight considerations. I plan on riding this all year round.

This bike flat out rips!! Night and day from my old Framed. It hammers so much better. It almost feels like a traditional skinny tire on how it maneuvers. It climbs better then my old Trance as well.

I have only had it for a week, but have been on 3 rides so far (25 miles). Our snow has for the most part all melted away. Last month it was a powder-packed paradise, but now, its just cold and hard.

So far, the BG has seen: traditional dirt, ice, and hardpack snow. I can't wait to try it in a little deeper snow, but I truly feel this bike can be ridden no matter what the conditions!

Only mod so far is ditching the 2x10. So much cleaner.

Basically, my first impressions are, this is the bike I have been looking for my whole life. So much fun.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    RSD Catalyst dirt road bike
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Congratulations. You sound pretty excited about it, and you should be...Nice bike.
    I really like the Salsa offerings...Beargrease, Mukluk ti, etc..
    Enjoy
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

banned
    Sep 2008
    Sweet ride! If i were in the market for a new ride, the beargrease 2 would be it. Alu and all. Perfect.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Nice, I have 15 Carbon and also love it, every ride is just a treat!

Love the Blue, it's the perfect shade!

Enjoy your bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Congratulations. You sound pretty excited about it, and you should be...Nice bike.
    I really like the Salsa offerings...Beargrease, Mukluk ti, etc..
    Enjoy
    Thanks. Everything seems really considered with Salsa.

Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Sweet ride! If i were in the market for a new ride, the beargrease 2 would be it. Alu and all. Perfect.

rog
    It is indeed the perfect ride (so far!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bevo-66 View Post
    Nice, I have 15 Carbon and also love it, every ride is just a treat!

Love the Blue, it's the perfect shade!

Enjoy your bike!
    Yes, I love your carbon one as well! I had to go with this "budget" version of the Beargrease, haha. And yes, the blue and white in person looks incredible in person!
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

Clears
    Aug 2011
    She's a beaut Clark!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also I was looking to put some 2.4 - 2.7 tubes in, and when I pulled the tire off, it already had some Kenda 2.4 - 2.7 tubes installed! Not sure if the LBS already installed them for me upon build up, or they came stock... Either way still pretty pumped.

Probably just install some Whisky carbon bars and call it done. She's spec'd pretty well from the start.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba29er View Post
    She's a beaut Clark!
    Can't see the lines can ya, Russ?
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    powder blue is pretty sweet
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

Clears
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Can't see the lines can ya, Russ?
    Hahaha well played, great catch.

Seriously, this bike is one of my top favorites. Congrats man.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Also I was looking to put some 2.4 - 2.7 tubes in, and when I pulled the tire off, it already had some Kenda 2.4 - 2.7 tubes installed! Not sure if the LBS already installed them for me upon build up, or they came stock... Either way still pretty pumped.

Probably just install some Whisky carbon bars and call it done. She's spec'd pretty well from the start.
    Pulling a bike from a box and riding it/enjoying it as/is is such a beautiful thing. Carbon bars will finish her off nice.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I had those tubes as well, swapped them for Specialized in 2.5 I think, much lighter although smaller.

mtbr member
    Love the blue. Local shop has one in my size and the wife even said, "oh, that's pretty nice looking". That's tacit permission right?
    Not without incident.

mtbr member
    Congrats and glad to see you got it from Old Spokes! I rode one yesterday in Stowe and it's at the top of my list when I upgrade my Pugs. Don't think I can wait very long since it's such an improvement!
    In the summer I build trails: www.sinuosity.net
    In the winter I build these: www.fatbikeskis.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOnSnow View Post
    Congrats and glad to see you got it from Old Spokes! I rode one yesterday in Stowe and it's at the top of my list when I upgrade my Pugs. Don't think I can wait very long since it's such an improvement!
    Oh yes, Glenn and the gang are top notch!

How was it yesterday at Stowe? I wanted to go, but I am still getting familiar with the bike since it's only a week old... So I went and did all of Saxon instead to get used to the handling.

After riding a couple at OSH, it was night and day from my previous bike. Night and day...
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

western NC
    Congrats tedo, that thing is gorgeous!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am a longtime MTB rider and lurker here and a new member. I picked up my BG2 a couple of weeks ago and like the OP, live in the northeast. I went for a ride on Saturday on dirt as opposed to snow but still found this bike to very fast and agile(for a fat tire bike)!

2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-salsa-beargrease-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hell yeah!

Im looking at studded D4 or 5s for winter, and keep the unstudded D4s for summer. Just hard to justify almost $500... but Saturday (in Vermont) was a little sketchy on unexpected off-camber decents with ice! I feel like the trails here will have ice until spring...
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hell yeah!

Im looking at studded D4 or 5s for winter, and keep the unstudded D4s for summer. Just hard to justify almost $500... but Saturday (in Vermont) was a little sketchy on unexpected off-camber decents with ice! I feel like the trails here will have ice until spring...
    I've been thinking the same thing as well! Lots of ice here in the NE! I think my frame will accommodate studded D5s without any mods as there is still plenty of clearance with the D4s even in the lowest gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing as well! Lots of ice here in the NE! I think my frame will accommodate studded D5s without any mods as there is still plenty of clearance with the D4s even in the lowest gear.
    I believe you are right. There were people running D5s on their 2014s.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Purchased some studded D4s. Really spendy, but one of the best investments in my opinion. Basically they were the difference from me riding for 2.5 hours today, or not riding at all. The trails had about .5 - 1" of powder on top of glare ice. I would put my foot down at the top of the climb, only to realize it was pure ice.

The studded D4s rode the singletrack like it was summer. Again, they were the difference maker of riding and not riding. Good investment

Conditions were 15 degrees F. Sunny. Was a perfect trail day. Bike rides awesome.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Picked up a carbon Orbea riser bar for dirt cheap (one of the click bait banners on this site). Paid $39 for it, and it works. Wanted the Whiskey ones, but $39 was hard to pass up...

Never knew how much of a difference a carbon cockpit can soften up the trail. Was really comfortable.

It was 6 degrees F today in the trails. But no wind, and lots of sun. Its great to be sweating wearing very little clothing as everyone is inside *****ing about the cold!

Any other BG2 owners here? The bike is a dream!
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2015 Salsa Beargrease 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just curious if their is any other ride reports of this bike? I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one but still up in the air about it. I am coming off of a alum 29er hard tail so I know how aluminum rides and I love it. I know carbon is lighter but a pound isn't worth 1000. How do you think this bike compares to a framed Alaskan alloy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2015 Salsa Beargrease 2

Is would say the ride is more about the geo than frame material. The BG is dialed in, So I don't think you can go wrong in either flavor. Pro tip: run a 50-70mm stem on this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb4146 View Post
    Just curious if their is any other ride reports of this bike? I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one but still up in the air about it. I am coming off of a alum 29er hard tail so I know how aluminum rides and I love it. I know carbon is lighter but a pound isn't worth 1000. How do you think this bike compares to a framed Alaskan alloy?
    All I can say is the beargrease is a maniac. Went for a 7 mile tech single track ride today in a trail that had significant more snow then my local trails (elevation does wonders....) and it powered through everything...with ease.

I love framed. My previous bike was a MN 3.0. Great story. The Alaskans look real promising. Just not enough feedback yet. I bet they are a real competitor. However, the BG2 is amazing. Also, the carbon handlebars make a world of difference as far as comfort. If I could've afforded the carbon fiber beargrease, I would have made that decision.

My alumuninum with a 1x10 and carbon bars is probably mid 27lbs. And I am still running tubes.

The geo on this bike is killer.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Such a sleeper:

Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just bought a BG2 yesterday, pretty pumped for it, love the color, almost the same as my Knolly Warden.
    First mods before even picking it up on Tuesday are new Chromag OSX bars, the stock Salsa bars are incredibly awkward. New Chromag grips, Chromag Lynx seat and set back seat post, Chromag Scarab Flats and studding the tires.
    Would love to go 1x10 soon but living in the CDN rockies I tend to use granny a lot!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2015 Salsa Beargrease 2

What 1x10 set up is it? What size up front?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Menachem View Post
    What 1x10 set up is it? What size up front?
    It's the stock x5 crank with a 32t narrow wide chainring. I just took the front drivetrain off.

So far it climbs great with that gearing. Going lower I feel like you would just spin out too much and get tired faster. I don't know. Sometime if the climb is long or steep, I just get out of the saddle and mash it. The short chain stays make the climbs a little easier.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    No issues with shifting or chain falling off?
    Did you change the chain as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2015 Salsa Beargrease 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post
    No issues with shifting or chain falling off?
    Did you change the chain as well
    Shifts great. I have about 100 miles on it so far (all singletrack). The race face narrow wide chainring keeps it pretty snug. Still running stock chain.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just picked up my BG2, few parts swapped out and ready to go. Loving the Blue bikes

2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-2015-01-20-14.29.07.jpg

mtbr member
    I just picked up a '14 Beargrease XX1 closeout from my LBS and got in several miles of desert riding on it. I had a Fatboy Expert previously and think that Salsa really nailed the geo with this bike IMO.

I've been riding Niners for several years and I must say this puppy climbs amazingly well, it corners like it's on rails and descends confidently. I was worried about the rigid carbon fork and thru-axels thinking it was gonna be too stiff and hard on the wrists -- so far it has been great even on very chunky & hard desert terrain in AZ.

Here are some observations compared to the Fatboy Expert.
    - Climbing, I feel like the BG is not as squirley as the Fatboy. On several steep inclines I found the Fatboy wheeling and wanting to go it's own way.
    - Hammering off the saddle on the BG with the XX1 drivetrain felt more like hammering on my SS vs. on a geared bike. the 1-11 gearing is simply amazing and super efficient.
    - Tires. Man I loved the 4.6 Ground Controls on the Fatboy but the rolling resistance for the type of riding I do was a detriment. My BG has the Dillinger 4s and I have zero complaints so far-- they climb & track super well and don't seem to have quite as much rolling resistance as the GCs.
    - Carbon vs. Alloy. I was able to get my Fatboy to ~29# my BG currently is under 26#. It is impressive how much less trail chatter and how responsive the Carbon frame is compared to the Alloy. And although it is stiffer due to the frame material and thru-axels the ride quality is buttery smooth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-img_3231.jpg
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-img_3232.jpg
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-img_3233.jpg

Still not ready waiting for white brake hoses and KS lev 150
    One of the greatest fatties for year around trails

mtbr member
    That colorway is solid! I have the Salsa Colossal road bike in the bomb pop blue and it really is rad!
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-image.jpg

Perfect color for a rad bike like a fatty. I wish the carbon came in that, as it is, I had to get the white since I am not an aluminum fan. That stock setup from Salsa is spot on, I love my Beargrease Carbon 1. I gotta agree with you on the dialed in geo in the BG series. Most responsive fatty I have ever ridden. Climbs like a goat. Holds curves like it is on rails. Step on the gas and you get instant response. All the benefits of fat but little penalty. Mine is 25lbs stock(yes, I do have the carbon 1 in a small), which is only 1lb heavier than my steel Nature Boy singlespeed CX bike! Rediculous!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Good to see you back on the Fat Forum, NBT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman115 View Post
    Good to see you back on the Fat Forum, NBT!
    Thanks!
    I missed my pugs so much after I sold it, that even reading about fatties made me sad panda
    The BG was worth the saving for, but it was a L O N G 8 months!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have put a lot of miles of single-track since I bought her on December 31. The BG is amazing in every way. Today's trek was all the terrain mother nature could throw at us (snow, ice, dirt, rocks, roots). The bike handles the terrain perfectly.

Some minor upgrades:
    — swapped out the narrow Orbea carbon risers to the Whiskey carbon rises. So much better. Wider is better. So much more comfortable and confident.

— White Nukeproof Electron Evo pedals. Very wide, and low profile

Love the quickness and playfulness of this bike!

Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Second 27+ wheelset! Scrapers, Salsa hubs, and Vee Trax Fatty. Raised the BB by about .5 inch (which in my opinion is a good thing).

Setting up tubeless was a so easy. Setting up my studded D4s on the Marge Lites for winter use.

This set-up has all the benefits of Fat with about 2 pounds less rotational weight. The extra height is noticeably good. It rips:

Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

banned
    Sep 2008
    damN.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    damN.......
    yeah, I totally drank the Kool Aid, and bought into the hype (usually I am not like that... at all...). Had Mikesee build these wheels having never ridden a plus bike set-up. Pretty stupid if you think about it.

But....

I hate to say it, but the 27+ is really, really, really fun and physically as good as fat (in non snow conditions).
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Very nice!

I have the XX1 and thinking of a 27+ or 29+ wheelset.

Leaning more towards the 27+ as I think the 29+ might raise the BB a bit too much for my taste. How do you like the Vee Trax? Also, do you see a noticeable difference with the rigid fork on the 27+? I am debating whether I would need to get a Bluto to run the 27+.

Lastly, curious to know what the overall weight is of your bike with that set-up.

Thanks.

tony

[QUOTE=tedo;11947663]Second 27+ wheelset! Scrapers, Salsa hubs, and Vee Trax Fatty. Raised the BB by about .5 inch (which in my opinion is a good thing).

Setting up tubeless was a so easy. Setting up my studded D4s on the Marge Lites for winter use.

This set-up has all the benefits of Fat with about 2 pounds less rotational weight. The extra height is noticeably good. It rips:

banned
    Sep 2008
    yeah, I totally drank the Kool Aid, and bought into the hype (usually I am not like that... at all...). Had Mikesee build these wheels having never ridden a plus bike set-up. Pretty stupid if you think about it.

But....

I hate to say it, but the 27+ is really, really, really fun and physically as good as fat (in non snow conditions).
    not gonna lie, that looks like some tasty koolaid. and the way to go if going plus. was out on a ride sunday and saw a guy riding 29+ which looked like a colossal wagon wheel-no bueno. 27.5+ (if not sticking with fat) ftw. enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    [QUOTE=quelocotony;11948078]Very nice!

I have the XX1 and thinking of a 27+ or 29+ wheelset.

Leaning more towards the 27+ as I think the 29+ might raise the BB a bit too much for my taste. How do you like the Vee Trax? Also, do you see a noticeable difference with the rigid fork on the 27+? I am debating whether I would need to get a Bluto to run the 27+.

Lastly, curious to know what the overall weight is of your bike with that set-up.

Thanks.

tony

Second 27+ wheelset! Scrapers, Salsa hubs, and Vee Trax Fatty. Raised the BB by about .5 inch (which in my opinion is a good thing).

The 27+ for me is spot on. It's closer to the geometry with the ML and 4inch Dillingers. Like I said, the BB is about .5 inch taller. 29+ would have raised it significantly.

A guy at my LBS has a BG converted to 29+. We are going to compare this week!

To tell the truth, not a huge fan of VEE rubber. They always seemed a bit off on design. Much prefer 45Nrth. But these are fine. I actually like that they are a true 3 inch tire (labeled 3.25). So far I have only a 15 mile ride on them, and they seem just fine. The trail was a mixture of: loam, hard-pack dark dirt, sand, ruts, mud, and granite. All of these depending on elevation.

The bike probably weighs around 26lbs. Which it's pretty light for a large. And I am not even trying to gram count... I like riding rigid. Very pure.

Basically, it kick ass.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    I rented one in Santa Fe, NM. Sweet bike, I think it was pretty much stock. It felt very similar to my Trek Farley 6. I'm probably a bit biased, and the tires could have been inflated a bit more, but I prefer my Farley.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    May 2011

A guy at my LBS has a BG converted to 29+. We are going to compare this week!

Just curious if you ever had a chance to compare the two. I have a MukLuk with a 29+ wheelset, and I've been thinking about swapping to a BG frame.

Just ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
    Just curious if you ever had a chance to compare the two. I have a MukLuk with a 29+ wheelset, and I've been thinking about swapping to a BG frame.
    I would also like to read your feedback on the 27+ and 29+ on the Beargrease. Please share

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Just picked up a BearGrease and I have rode the Alaskan.

I just picked up my Beargrease 2 yesterday. Love the bike, I have a buddy that works for The House, that owns and builds the Framed Fat Bikes. We were demoing the Alaskan for a year before its release. This bike in my opinion, rides a little bit better, however is almost $1,000 more. I did notice that the bike makes a chinging sound when riding on the road and going fast. I can't say yet what it is but, I suspect after an initial tightening of things it will go away.
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-salsa-fb-2015-beargrease2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
    Not yet. Sorry. I am quite happy with the 27+ setup. I have logged tons of miles on this rig.

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee17 View Post
    I would also like to read your feedback on the 27+ and 29+ on the Beargrease. Please share
    I have never ridden a 29+. Not so much into touring, more into trail singletrack. So I can't give a comparison. Won't even try to speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar_mike View Post
    I just picked up my Beargrease 2 yesterday. Love the bike, I have a buddy that works for The House, that owns and builds the Framed Fat Bikes. We were demoing the Alaskan for a year before its release. This bike in my opinion, rides a little bit better, however is almost $1,000 more. I did notice that the bike makes a chinging sound when riding on the road and going fast. I can't say yet what it is but, I suspect after an initial tightening of things it will go away.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salsa-FB-2015-BearGrease2.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	999295
    Congrats. Super awesome bike. Always thought it was a sleeper of Salsa's line last year... Not sure what the "chinging" is. Haven't experienced that. I hate noises on bikes. Although all my bikes make some sort of noise these days...haha. My BG has gotten ridden pretty hard this spring and summer, so its expected.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Not sure what the "chinging" is.
    I'm thinking it's the brake rotors. I remember when I first got mine and the pads needed to bed in - it would have an occasional 'ching' sound.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    All of these reviews makes me want to order one of these immediately! This would be my first fat bike. I hate the idea of buying a cheap one and then just wanting to upgrade in a month. This bike seems like it would be a great all around bike for trail riding in New England. Is there anything I should know before diving in?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Finally finished my build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-wp_20150713_11_45_24_pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsson View Post
    Finally finished my build

Looks sweet. Did you build it from frameset up? Details?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thumbs-up to Tomsson & all Beargrease owners. Here´s my build
    -Nextie 65mm wheels/ tubelles tape & valves
    - Full XTR 11 speed & Sram X1 1000 cranks
    - Magura brakes, ashima 185 / 140 rotors
    - Carbon seatpost & handlebar
    -tyres rear/front : Surly bfl & bud
    Bud also fits to rear on a 65 nextie if you have one chainring up front... but chain crabs to tyre side in first gear.

It´s 11,99 kg with pedals etc. fully loaded bfl&bud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beluga_ciabatta View Post
    Looks sweet. Did you build it from frameset up? Details?
    XL frame
    Mulefut rims with Revolution spokes and Salsa's hubs. Tubeless Jumbo Jim 4.0's.
    Haven carbon bars, Superstar Zephir 70mm stem, Thomson Elite post and Ragley Tracker saddle.
    X5 cranks with 30t narrowwide, Zee 1x10 and Zee brakes with 160mm disks.
    Odi AG1 Grips and Time XC6 pedals.
    Around 12,6kg.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Just picked up the BG2 and it is a great ride. My first fatty and some seriously nimble and fast geo. Got a flat on my first ride out and opend it up and found a kenda 2.4/2,75 tube. Got very upset as i was expecting a surly 4.0' tube. LBS opened the front and same. I switched them both to the surly even though salsa seems to ship with the kendas. I checked the weights and the surly 4' superlight is 355grams and is lighter than the kenda.
    Any advantage to superstretching a smaller tube when a proper fit tube is lighter(if i got the correct weight info)?

love the BG2 setup and just plan on changing out the grips for my ergon grips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrettig View Post
    Just picked up the BG2 and it is a great ride. My first fatty and some seriously nimble and fast geo. Got a flat on my first ride out and opend it up and found a kenda 2.4/2,75 tube. Got very upset as i was expecting a surly 4.0' tube. LBS opened the front and same. I switched them both to the surly even though salsa seems to ship with the kendas. I checked the weights and the surly 4' superlight is 355grams and is lighter than the kenda.
    Any advantage to superstretching a smaller tube when a proper fit tube is lighter(if i got the correct weight info)?

love the BG2 setup and just plan on changing out the grips for my ergon grips.
    I ditched the tubes long time ago, and run tubeless. Clown Shoe rim strip over the stock marge lite rim strip. Shoot air in with a compressor and call it done. Super easy and reliable.

Just got done with 3 days of riding all over Vermont with the BG. Such a great bike!!!
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    ^^^ What tedo said. I never had tubes in my BG2 - got it right from the LBS without toobz.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hey tedo,
    no stans or tape or anything? just the clown shoe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You need the stans and the tape in addition to the rim strip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrettig View Post
    hey tedo,
    no stans or tape or anything? just the clown shoe?
    Yes, Stans obviously. I put 4-5 oz in each wheel. No tape as the clown shoe rim strip is the tape.
    Spot Rocker
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Beargrease
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ok, thanks. ill give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Glad to have found this thread. I'm picking up my new BG 2 tomorrow. Really excited and my first fattie. Will post a pic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi

Nice thread here, super excited myself to get mine together.
    Picked up a 2015 salsa beargrease 2 frame (mmmmbopblue aluminium) with makwa carbon fork and salsa hubs.

Desperately scrapping together wheels and parts to get this thing rolling, next week hopefully.

Found some holy rolling darryls on sale second hand, is this the wheelset most of you guys have, the white ones in the pictures? If yes how do they hold up and how easy do they set up tubeless?

Dam one thing what has really thrown me is the 170x10mm qr rear end. Finding the appropriate end caps for the salsa hub (to fit a 10 speed freehub)has been a nightmare. My hubs which came with the frame have the sd driver. Now as im on a tight budget i dont want to buy an 11 speed drive train right now.

If anyone has spare end caps give me a shout!

Otherwise cant wait to report the first ride you guys make this bike sound amazing!

-bustin punks
    Bluto'd (someone was clearing out the white OEM only Bluto RCTs recently, just had to bump the travel down to 100mm) and B+'d

Thought I was going to have to re-dish the front wheel when going from the 142x15 Makwa to the 150mm Bluto, but all I did was swap the end plugs and add the rotor spacer (Hope Fatsno) and I'll be darned it it didn't line right up! Maybe it's just the Salsa conversion hubs that require this?

Either way, that sure will make it easy to hop back and forth between the Bluto and Makwa.

I ordered and installed it with the Cane Creek +3mm fork crown race just in case - I had heard that downtube clearance was iffy on the medium-sized frames and wanted to make sure it worked the first time:

Pre-fork swap photo, also shows front 26x4 contrasted with the rear 27.5x3