Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Not sure what the "chinging" is.
    I'm thinking it's the brake rotors. I remember when I first got mine and the pads needed to bed in - it would have an occasional 'ching' sound.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    All of these reviews makes me want to order one of these immediately! This would be my first fat bike. I hate the idea of buying a cheap one and then just wanting to upgrade in a month. This bike seems like it would be a great all around bike for trail riding in New England. Is there anything I should know before diving in?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Finally finished my build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Salsa Beargrease 2-wp_20150713_11_45_24_pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsson View Post
    Finally finished my build

Looks sweet. Did you build it from frameset up? Details?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thumbs-up to Tomsson & all Beargrease owners. Here´s my build
    -Nextie 65mm wheels/ tubelles tape & valves
    - Full XTR 11 speed & Sram X1 1000 cranks
    - Magura brakes, ashima 185 / 140 rotors
    - Carbon seatpost & handlebar
    -tyres rear/front : Surly bfl & bud
    Bud also fits to rear on a 65 nextie if you have one chainring up front... but chain crabs to tyre side in first gear.

It´s 11,99 kg with pedals etc. fully loaded bfl&bud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beluga_ciabatta View Post
    Looks sweet. Did you build it from frameset up? Details?
    XL frame
    Mulefut rims with Revolution spokes and Salsa's hubs. Tubeless Jumbo Jim 4.0's.
    Haven carbon bars, Superstar Zephir 70mm stem, Thomson Elite post and Ragley Tracker saddle.
    X5 cranks with 30t narrowwide, Zee 1x10 and Zee brakes with 160mm disks.
    Odi AG1 Grips and Time XC6 pedals.
    Around 12,6kg.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Also I was looking to put some 2.4 - 2.7 tubes in, and when I pulled the tire off, it already had some Kenda 2.4 - 2.7 tubes installed! Not sure if the LBS already installed them for me upon build up, or they came stock... Either way still pretty pumped.

Probably just install some Whisky carbon bars and call it done. She's spec'd pretty well from the start.
    Just picked up the BG2 and it is a great ride. My first fatty and some seriously nimble and fast geo. Got a flat on my first ride out and opend it up and found a kenda 2.4/2,75 tube. Got very upset as i was expecting a surly 4.0' tube. LBS opened the front and same. I switched them both to the surly even though salsa seems to ship with the kendas. I checked the weights and the surly 4' superlight is 355grams and is lighter than the kenda.
    Any advantage to superstretching a smaller tube when a proper fit tube is lighter(if i got the correct weight info)?

love the BG2 setup and just plan on changing out the grips for my ergon grips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrettig View Post
    Just picked up the BG2 and it is a great ride. My first fatty and some seriously nimble and fast geo. Got a flat on my first ride out and opend it up and found a kenda 2.4/2,75 tube. Got very upset as i was expecting a surly 4.0' tube. LBS opened the front and same. I switched them both to the surly even though salsa seems to ship with the kendas. I checked the weights and the surly 4' superlight is 355grams and is lighter than the kenda.
    Any advantage to superstretching a smaller tube when a proper fit tube is lighter(if i got the correct weight info)?

love the BG2 setup and just plan on changing out the grips for my ergon grips.
    I ditched the tubes long time ago, and run tubeless. Clown Shoe rim strip over the stock marge lite rim strip. Shoot air in with a compressor and call it done. Super easy and reliable.

Just got done with 3 days of riding all over Vermont with the BG. Such a great bike!!!
    Beargrease
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    RSD Sergeant
    RSD Catalyst dirt road bike
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    ^^^ What tedo said. I never had tubes in my BG2 - got it right from the LBS without toobz.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hey tedo,
    no stans or tape or anything? just the clown shoe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You need the stans and the tape in addition to the rim strip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrettig View Post
    hey tedo,
    no stans or tape or anything? just the clown shoe?
    Yes, Stans obviously. I put 4-5 oz in each wheel. No tape as the clown shoe rim strip is the tape.
    Beargrease
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    RSD Sergeant
    RSD Catalyst dirt road bike
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ok, thanks. ill give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Glad to have found this thread. I'm picking up my new BG 2 tomorrow. Really excited and my first fattie. Will post a pic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi

Nice thread here, super excited myself to get mine together.
    Picked up a 2015 salsa beargrease 2 frame (mmmmbopblue aluminium) with makwa carbon fork and salsa hubs.

Desperately scrapping together wheels and parts to get this thing rolling, next week hopefully.

Found some holy rolling darryls on sale second hand, is this the wheelset most of you guys have, the white ones in the pictures? If yes how do they hold up and how easy do they set up tubeless?

Dam one thing what has really thrown me is the 170x10mm qr rear end. Finding the appropriate end caps for the salsa hub (to fit a 10 speed freehub)has been a nightmare. My hubs which came with the frame have the sd driver. Now as im on a tight budget i dont want to buy an 11 speed drive train right now.

If anyone has spare end caps give me a shout!

Otherwise cant wait to report the first ride you guys make this bike sound amazing!

-bustin punks
    Bluto'd (someone was clearing out the white OEM only Bluto RCTs recently, just had to bump the travel down to 100mm) and B+'d

Thought I was going to have to re-dish the front wheel when going from the 142x15 Makwa to the 150mm Bluto, but all I did was swap the end plugs and add the rotor spacer (Hope Fatsno) and I'll be darned it it didn't line right up! Maybe it's just the Salsa conversion hubs that require this?

Either way, that sure will make it easy to hop back and forth between the Bluto and Makwa.

I ordered and installed it with the Cane Creek +3mm fork crown race just in case - I had heard that downtube clearance was iffy on the medium-sized frames and wanted to make sure it worked the first time:

Pre-fork swap photo, also shows front 26x4 contrasted with the rear 27.5x3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12