Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

2014 Pugsley Owner

I am new to fat bikes and just bought a Pugsley. It is at the bike shop being assembled now. I am on the west coast, so the riding will be more sand and trail vs snow.

I went with the 45NRTH pedals. Other than that it is stock.

mtbr member
    Awesome, grats on the bike. What pushed you to a Pugs, opposed to a Muk 3 or something else?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Awesome, grats on the bike. What pushed you to a Pugs, opposed to a Muk 3 or something else?
    Price and response from Surly. I was able to buy the pugs for $1600 delivered. I was close to buying a Salsa 3 and considered the Trek Farley. Really it came down to price and the fact that Surly answered my questions best and swayed my decision from Moonlander to Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Nice. From where did you purchase?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Welcome to the Clubsley Pug. For beach riding, the BFL's are pretty hard to beat, so if you can find a set of those, they will compliment the Nate's for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Another one dives into the fat

Congrats, FoundinSB! I'm glad to see another cyclist going' fat! Could it have been the recent full moon that threw us over the edge? I also just threw caution to the sea breezes and made the plunge into Surly fatness! First, to get rollin' I ordered a custom wheel set built on black Marge Lites with the Alfine 8-spd hub and the Surly Ultra New Disc Fat Bike Hub, DT Swiss spokes and red nipples. Will be rollin' on Larrys.

Ordered the 20" Pugs frame in 'gawdawful green" (one of my favorite colors, as sometimes I like to blend in better with in the bushes and dune grass). Also, I didn't have much choice, and, dad-gummit!!!!... I "wanted it asap."

Ordered everything else online that I'll need to concoct this monstrosity except for a seat (might steal from my Utopia), pedals (still researching) , grips (might steal the Ergons off my Utopia), rim strips (not sure of color I want yet), brake cables/housing (I have a lifetime supply of black cable housing, and maybe some of my spare cables will fit), water bottle cage, and (yes!) fenders.

I'll wait until I can post some pics before i detail the specs. Some of my components are minor upgrades from a stock Pugs. I was trying to keep the cost down and still have a sweet build. The total cost of the complete bike (with maybe one bottle cage & a set of fenders) will be around $2,500.

I'm probably going to be cleaning/tuning up my Gary Fisher Utopia and selling it. I've just been riding my SS tavern/backroad/boardwalk lite cruiser around the hood here. It rolls well on 700 X 38s. The Utopia mainly was for accessing remote fishing zones beyond closed logging road gates, a task that I'm sure the Pugs will be up to.

Yeah man! I can hardly wait for my wheel set, frame set, and components to arrive! I'm located on the Washington coast, and we got beaches! And dune trails! Many within spittin' distance from my front porch!
    Last edited by PlutonicPlague; 01-21-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: whimsy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Welcome to the Clubsley Pug. For beach riding, the BFL's are pretty hard to beat, so if you can find a set of those, they will compliment the Nate's for trail riding.
    2014 Pugsley Owner-20140123_133931.jpg

Care to educate me on the difference in tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am also interested in suggestions and opinions on the best beach riding tires for this bike. Allow me to express my thoughts here, hoping to add to your thread. I'm not trying to hi-jack it.

Big Fat Larrys on both ends seems like the way to go, based on what I have read in the forums, but I am not sure if I can use that option with my Alfine 8 spd IGH. Maybe I can, since the chain line will always be in the same plane.
    Can anyone here tell me if a BFL will have enough clearance of the chain, If I wanted to run one on a Marge Lite rim with an Alfine 8 sp IGH on my Pugs?

I have learned so far that the 120 tpi Larry has longer lasting sidewalls than the 27 tpi Larry, especially if you run them at beach riding low pressures. So forking out the extra $$ for the 127 tpi Larry for my rear tire is probably worth it.

Looks like I'll be running a 27 tpi Larry on my front, with a 120 tpi Larry on the rear (since I already ordered a 27 tpi Larry).

Now I'm thinking I should have gotten a BFL for the front. Or else ignored my own cheapskate mentality and sprung for the 120 tpi.
    For now, I'm getting the 120 tpi Larry for my rear tire, until I figure out the clearance issues. I'll be riding on both soft and packed sand on the beaches, as well as some solid mudflats and spits in the Harbor, and pre-existing 4WD tracks that run thru the local dunes.
    I'll carry a pump and be able to alter my tire pressure to suit the surface conditions.

If it turns out that I can run a BFL on my rear wheel with adequate chain clearance, then I'll probably swap over to running BFLs front and rear.

Looking forward to any replies and advice. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Congrats on your purchase. I too just bought the same bike through REI. My kids gave me a REI $200 GC for Christmas, and I get back 15% plus an already $111 coming back in yr end dividends this March. I just could not pass this up.

Enjoy your bike. I love mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Congrats on your purchase. I too just bought the same bike through REI. My kids gave me a REI $200 GC for Christmas, and I get back 15% plus an already $111 coming back in yr end dividends this March. I just could not pass this up.

Enjoy your bike. I love mine.
    Yes, I think REI is a great option. Essentially, after having the bike, put together, I am all in at $1660.00, I do not end up with the free tune ups and REI's warranty. The REI price is $1575.00 plus tax and you get all the added benefits. Can't go wrong with that. If my SO likes my bike I am going to get hers through REI.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks, I am glad you are on here asking the detailed questions. Hi-Jack away! I too would like to know optimal tires and tire pressure for trail too soft and hard sand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    dbl

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoundinSB View Post
    Yes, I think REI is a great option. Essentially, after having the bike, put together, I am all in at $1660.00, I do not end up with the free tune ups and REI's warranty. The REI price is $1575.00 plus tax and you get all the added benefits. Can't go wrong with that. If my SO likes my bike I am going to get hers through REI.
    No .. REI price is $1750.

Surly Pugsley Bike - 2014 at REI.com

I was lucky that my kids gave me the REI gift card, plus I have $111 coming back yr end dividends and additional member dividend 15% kick back (because I put the bike on my REI VISA) from this bike ordered before Jan. 1, 2014.

This info might help you out when/if you decide to go that way for your wife. It really has paid off for me to do the membership and get their CC. I got a $100 GC when I signed up for the VISA. I don''t want to come off *spamming* for them on this forum and I do support my LBS whenever I can. But REI sure made it easier for me to purchase the Pugsley, otherwise it wouldn't have happened.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    No .. REI price is $1750.

Surly Pugsley Bike - 2014 at REI.com

I was lucky that my kids gave me the REI gift card, plus I have $111 coming back yr end dividends and additional member dividend 15% kick back (because I put the bike on my REI VISA) from this bike ordered before Jan. 1, 2014.

This info might help you out when/if you decide to go that way for your wife. It really has paid off for me to do the membership and get their CC. I got a $100 GC when I signed up for the VISA. I don''t want to come off *spamming* for them on this forum and I do support my LBS whenever I can. But REI sure made it easier for me to purchase the Pugsley, otherwise it wouldn't have happened.
    Okay, I misunderstood you. But REI price is $1750.00 minus the REI Membership gets me an estimated $175.00 off the bike, plus they assemble for free.

As far as supporting the LBS I am completely on board with that. When ordering bikes like this the LBS around here are more interested in selling you a product on the floor vs getting me what I wanted. One going so far as pushing the Kona hard even though they were a Surly dealer, they had the Kona built and ready to go.

Also think a lot of LBS bring some pain on themselves. If you go to Surly and locate dealers it takes you to the LBS, click on Surly and it takes you back to the Surly site. So odd.

mtbr member
    Okay, I misunderstood you. But REI price is $1750.00 minus the REI Membership gets me an estimated $175.00 off the bike, plus they assemble for free.

As far as supporting the LBS I am completely on board with that. When ordering bikes like this the LBS around here are more interested in selling you a product on the floor vs getting me what I wanted. One going so far as pushing the Kona hard even though they were a Surly dealer, they had the Kona built and ready to go.

Also think a lot of LBS bring some pain on themselves. If you go to Surly and locate dealers it takes you to the LBS, click on Surly and it takes you back to the Surly site. So odd.
    Correct but the dividends post Jan. 1 2014 will be available March 2015 and why I had to pull the trigger for the bike BEFORE Jan 1 so I can get a 15% back plus an already $111 coming back this March 2014. I am going to have REI cash it out as a check that I can deposit in my bank account and apply to the monthly statement to pay the bike off asap.

I have a friend who works/manager of a bike shop and he said that no way could he match that deal with the GC and the dividends. He was happy for me and he was the one who drove me to the hospital 10 days ago when I went down HARD in a parking lot covered in black ice that was not visible. I was meeting with him and another friend for a ride. Fortunately I had mounted the OMM Sherpa Phat rack that came in the mail the day before. That rack took the brunt of the fall when the bike went down on that ice covered asphalt. The bike fared better than I did as I am healing with a fractured pelvis .. and healing FAST :0) I can't wait to get back on my bike to join my friends but I am going to be more cautious of black ice .. wait till after 12 pm to give time for the temps to rise and melt the ice (hopefully) This could have ended much worse for me so I count my blessings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Correct but the dividends post Jan. 1 2014 will be available March 2015 and why I had to pull the trigger for the bike BEFORE Jan 1 so I can get a 15% back plus an already $111 coming back this March 2014. I am going to have REI cash it out as a check that I can deposit in my bank account and apply to the monthly statement to pay the bike off asap.

I have a friend who works/manager of a bike shop and he said that no way could he match that deal with the GC and the dividends. He was happy for me and he was the one who drove me to the hospital 10 days ago when I went down HARD in a parking lot covered in black ice that was not visible. I was meeting with him and another friend for a ride. Fortunately I had mounted the OMM Sherpa Phat rack that came in the mail the day before. That rack took the brunt of the fall when the bike went down on that ice covered asphalt. The bike fared better than I did as I am healing with a fractured pelvis .. and healing FAST :0) I can't wait to get back on my bike to join my friends but I am going to be more cautious of black ice .. wait till after 12 pm to give time for the temps to rise and melt the ice (hopefully) This could have ended much worse for me so I count my blessings.
    Heal fast, I have no snow or ice to worry about, but I will crash sooner than later.

mtbr member
    Heal fast, I have no snow or ice to worry about, but I will crash sooner than later.
    Well then you should hit softer ground .. I hope !

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Aside from the rack, any other suggested accessories?

mtbr member
    What gearing are you running front and rear with the Alfine?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    I tried Alfine w/ 34x18 and it just didn't work quite right, 32x20 is perfection, only at full pressure on hard surfaces you wish you had more.
    Climbs better than my 29er w/34x11-36

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    I'm starting off with a 34x23. Seems to work for others here on the forum.

Even though its pretty flat for the most part right where I live near the beach, there are some lumpy dune trails around. Also there's gated logging roads leading into the hills out back.

On my lightweight SS parts-bin ghetto six-pack getter (24 lbs), I'm running 40x16 on 700x38's, and it seems about right for general cruising on the local neighborhood streets and back roads that run thru the cranberry bogs. I can stand and pump over the small hills around here.

mtbr member
    I set mine up with 33x23. I haven't been able to properly ride it yet though because the headset isn't together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I got an e-mail notifying me that my frame set and components should ship tomorrow. Wheel set will be a few days behind.
    I did the math of buying here in WA at my LBS and getting much slower service as well as paying WA state retail sales tax. Found a shop in Portland OR with a good reputation for wheel building, speedy service, and competitive prices, and I ordered online. Shipping charges were only $37.50 to my porch. The frame and components are shipping for free. Gas to that Portland bike shop and back would have been slightly more at approx $40, assuming 30mpg hwy in my '04 Forester. I'm ahead of the deal right there, even before I save over $205 by not paying retail sales tax.
    Goshdarnit! I love the internet and UPS and FedX!

mtbr member
    I order online and get stuff shipped to Pt. Roberts WA, if I can't get decent prices up here. Then I cross the border and pick up. No tax, no duty usually if less than $500.

mtbr member
    Aside from the rack, any other suggested accessories?
    Fenders .. I went with Dave's Mud Shovel fenders bought a little cheaper off amazon front & rear. I don't know how much traffic you will encounter but if you do I recommend lighting and bottle cages.

Below is my bike. I went with neon green cages and Fyxation flat pedals. Since this pic was taken and after my accident I have matching neon green grips Lizard Skins, and the rear rack & fenders. I want to be seen by the drivers in my town so I don't get hit. So yeah .. I want this bike to *POP* and the bright green against the black does just that. I think the last modification I will do is green rim tape. I use my bikes for errands in town hauling groceries home, post office etc. and the car is used for longer trips. Our streets have a lot of pot holes and the fatbike just sails right over them. There is a park just a few miles from my house that has a mt bike path and a state park with a bike path and a beach (Lake Erie) I live in SE Michigan.

2014 Pugsley Owner-photo.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast