Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Norco Bigfoot

Just posted on Norco's Facebook Page

One of the bikes you can expect to see in the 2014 Norco Bicycles lineup is a fat bike called the Bigfoot. This video is not the typical use of a fat bike but then again there is nothing typical about a fat bike!

Fat Bike Growler Style - The Fat Bike Beer Run - YouTube
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

All fat, all the time.
    That.....is......awesome!

WNC Native
    Awesome, points for them already!!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

never summer
    Just saw this on Pinkbike.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    I want a Growler cage! Perfect accessory for a fat bike.
    -Chris

never summer
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    I want a Growler cage! Perfect accessory for a fat bike.
    Just ordered one...didn't even realize I had a paypal balance. Kinda like finding money in the dryer and being stoked but then realizing its your money.

On another note...the Norco looks pretty sweet.

Let's call it... Norco wins on the "way of announcement" for all the new fat bike announcements the last 2 weeks (or week? I've lost track). This video is amazing.

Here is a nice write up on Pinkbike as well... Video: North Shore Beer Run - Fat Bike Growler Style - Pinkbike

And the video for those who don't like to leave MTBR

...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    [QUOTE=duggus;10542843]Let's call it... Norco wins on the "way of announcement" for all the new fat bike announcements the last 2 weeks (or week? I've lost track). This video is amazing.

Could also say it wins an argument against suspension.

nothing to see here
    Was it just me or did the tyre pressures look too high on that bike?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Yeah. I noticed the same thing. Or those Vee rubber casings just don't flex...hahaha

mtbr member
    No I was watching him thinking that looked pretty uncomfortable bouncing down the trail. Trouble is if you are going to ride fast you can't drop the pressure too much on a rough trail or you'll pinch flat.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bouncing down the trail on the edge of control is part of the fun .
    I thought he looked more in control than I probably do when riding the tough stuff.

From their web page: "This footage steps outside of the intended usage charts...". Nonsense!

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Keski View Post
    Yeah. I noticed the same thing. Or those Vee rubber casings just don't flex...hahaha
    burn...hehehe
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Levi Early
    great way to introduce a fat bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It is one of the better looking "mass produced" fat bike frames at the moment the Trek one looks hashed together and the Kona just plain ugly. Still happy with my Salsa Mukluk though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well, if you are going to release yet another hardtail, rigid fork fat bike, you might as well make a cool video for it. Bonus points for including a lovely young lass as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Is this the first Canadian fatbike? I recall there were more than a few complaints about the pricing of Surly/Salsa fatbikes north of the border, so maybe this will help? Looks like a solid offering to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Is this the first Canadian fatbike? I recall there were more than a few complaints about the pricing of Surly/Salsa fatbikes north of the border, so maybe this will help? Looks like a solid offering to me.
    For the Norco bikes I've looked at [FS all mtn] they are at the same price if not higher than other brands I was looking at like Santa Cruz which isn't known to be cheap.

Canada is a low volume market - it's hard to get something cheap here.

I wouldn't expect the Norco fatbike to be a smoking deal. Hopefully it will fall in line with the other comparable offerings.

If you want to feel our Canadian pain - just as an example I noticed a Krampus complete at a LBS I frequent on for $2350CDN. The same bike in the US is ~$1950USD.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you want to feel our Canadian pain - just as an example I noticed a Krampus complete at a LBS I frequent on for $2350CDN. The same bike in the US is ~$1950USD.
    I see your CDN pain and raise you some AU pain. A Pugsley is US$1649 and AU$2499.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I see your CDN pain and raise you some AU pain. A Pugsley is US$1649 and AU$2499.
    Yikes!

You have it worse than us, but to be fair we live right next to one of the countries with the cheapest bikes/gear in the world so it kinda bums us out a lot!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    It helps living close to the border, every month or so I hop across to Point Roberts and pick up my goodies (I can do it in the morning and arrive at work in downtown Vancouver by 9!) Even better is that if the order is less than about $300 or so they just wave you through without charging duty, it isn't worth their time to collect it.

I have a Pugsley frame waiting patiently for me right now, and I'll go down once my bhphoto order arrives. But I have noticed that photography equipment can actually be marginally cheaper in Canada.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Yikes!

You have it worse than us, but to be fair we live right next to one of the countries with the cheapest bikes/gear in the world so it kinda bums us out a lot!
    Yikes, indeed! You guys have every right to tell us to STFU when we complain about pricing.

Icebiker
    Yikes, indeed! You guys have every right to tell us to STFU when we complain about pricing.
    Ain't that the truth!

nothing to see here
    Which is why bikes from On-One are so popular (not to mention just damn good too). It's no secret that I haven't got a fat bike yet, but try tellin' the mrs it'll cost well over 2K and you'll soon find yourself well short of brownie points. On-One's frame/fork/wheel/tyre package is ~AU$770 landed. Much more "palatable".
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Cheaper bikes here is payback for not having cool cars that are available in Canada and Australia. No small diesel 4WD pick-ups and SUV's here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How much is low volume, and how much is import duties and taxes? How much of an average Briton's/Canadian's/Aussie's/Kiwi's (I hope that isn't an insult?) etc. labor goes towards that item?

I make what I consider an average wage (about 3% above median for my region), but after paying taxes, health insurance, saving for retirement, etc. my Pugs was about 80% of a month's take-home wages. If one subtracts things such as mortgage, utilities, health-care co-pays and deductibles, auto, home and life insurance, groceries, etc. leaving "discretionary" income I'd like to know if we are still doing better than others.

In that light, the Pugsley used up about two years of bike and gear budget.

So, lets compare units of time, instead of units of money. Maybe we're not so different after all.

mtbr member
    I don't pay any tax if I mail order online, and if the order is small they don't charge me duty taking it back across the border. So I pay no tax at all! And lots of the orders have free shipping too. I just pay $5 to get it held at the warehouse across the border. Even if they do charge duty, it's only 5% for bike components.

Yes, bikes are expensive. But I have found a good deal on rent so I have quite a bit of disposable income per month. No family yet, I'll wait a bit. Don't save for your retirement, stocks and bonds are a ponzi scheme and you'll lose most of it in the next year or so. Just buy gold coins anonymously, and you will be set for life when it goes to $15,000 an ounce.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here's a fun fact: The Norco Bigfoot is actually the same bike as the Nakamura BigBob and Diamant Mammut sold in Norway. Norco partnered up with Gresvig (who owns the chains who sell those bikes) and is basically selling their design under the Norco name.

2014 Norco Bigfoot-diamantmammut-1_zpsecab8289.jpg

mtbr member

2014 Norco Bigfoot

Pricing is rough. I run an undisclosed NORCO demo center in the states, and our lovely Canadian clients realize that it would be cheaper to buy one here. If I understand correctly, if you stay more than 48 hours, you won't get hit with duty crossing back over. I see a frame in my future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    more companies bringing out fatbikes can just be good for consumers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Pricing is rough. I run an undisclosed NORCO demo center in the states, and our lovely Canadian clients realize that it would be cheaper to buy one here. If I understand correctly, if you stay more than 48 hours, you won't get hit with duty crossing back over. I see a frame in my future.
    The Nakamura/Diamant bikes are going for between 1350 and 1700 USD, converted from Norwegian kroner. Seeing as it is essentialy the same bike and prices in Norway might be a bit higher, then it shouldn't cost more than that. Unless Norco is overcharging grossly.

mtbr member
    My local Norco dealer up here in Canada is taking deposits for an October delivery on the Norco Bigfoot. MSRP is $1599 Canadian.
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just got a message from my bike shop yesterday quoting me $1300 AU for it, SLX and Deore drivetrain, Elixir 3 brakes. I think there may be a little bit more growth upwards in that figure, however that is only a little more than a set of fat bike wheels in Australia, I was quoted 1200 for a wheelset. Looks like my Mukluk frame might have some competition...

That or make do with a on one wheels set for the Salsa
    Last edited by hardly_stuntworthy; 08-01-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

never summer

2014 Norco Bigfoot

That Growler Cage will be a tight fit...but it could be a small frame or something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    First look: 2014 Norco mountain bikes | Dirt Rag MagazineFirst look: 2014 Norco mountain bikes | Dirt Rag Magazine

Haven't seen the exact specs yet, but I am very interested in this bike at $1415! The white Pugs may be up for sale...hmmm...

aka bOb
    I like it but It doesn't look sus corrected, Damn!!

mtbr member
    A bit more info on the Bigfoot over at Bike Rumour

2014 Norco Mountain Bikes, Cyclocross Overview ? New Fat Bike & More 650B
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member

2014 Norco Bigfoot

Pretty psyched to see some less expensive options for people, for sure. Too bad my next frame will be in the other direction price wise.

mtbr member

2014 Norco Bigfoot

2014 Norco Bigfoot-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377471838.498811.jpg

2014 Norco Bigfoot-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377471861.809123.jpg

2014 Norco Bigfoot-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377471881.829692.jpg

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I like it but It doesn't look sus corrected, Damn!!
    If the frame isn't suspension corrected, does that mean an aftermarket FS fork like the Carver trans fat wouldnt work with the Bigfoot?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGPIE!!! View Post
    If the frame isn't suspension corrected, does that mean an aftermarket FS fork like the Carver trans fat wouldnt work with the Bigfoot?
    Nah, it'll work. It will raise the front end of the bike a bit, and slacken the head angle. The effects on handling are a matter of personal taste.

aka bOb
    Nah, it'll work. It will raise the front end of the bike a bit, and slacken the head angle. The effects on handling are a matter of personal taste.
    I agree completely!! I am just building a dedicated xc suspension Fatty and don't want anything slacker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I agree completely!! I am just building a dedicated xc suspension Fatty and don't want anything slacker.
    I'm sure that's the best way to go if you know you want a suspension fork. My own personal taste is to keep the front end low. Both my fatbikes have 450mm A-to-C forks, and I'm not sure I'd like the front end jacked up by 35 to 50mm, which is what the TransFat would do to me. I am itching to try one, though! I'm wondering if you could regain enough of a steeper HTA with an AngleSet?

mtbr noob
    I'm betting some smart fellow is doing the math right now...
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    FYI...here is a response from Carver regarding the trans fat fork compatibility with the bigfoot:

Without knowing what the axle to crown length of either fork, it is hard to tell. Our fork set at 110 mm travel is 484 mm axle to crown. Set at 100 mm it is 476 mm, and at 80 mm is 460 mm. Unless it is out of that range (pretty unlikely!) you should be able to adjust it to fit by adjusting the shock travel.

Also: Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Bike Fork

mtbr member
    has anyone gotten one or ridden one yet? I'd be really curious to hear a review.

mtbr member
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Just picked up two of them (his and hers) a short time ago as interim bikes for the season.

2014 Norco Bigfoot-img_2315.jpg

Quick review:

1. The Vee Rubber (26x4 72TPI) tire is garbage in the fresh packing snow. Absolute garbage, just slides out everywhere and have zero traction on anything with a camber or hill. Would likely be OK on hardpack, groomed trail, but that is not my intended use. Would advise that you replace before you even leave the shop with a pair of Nates. I couldn't as my LBS doesn't sell anything other than studded 45NRTH Dils and I don't want to re-mortgage my house for new shoes. I was aware of the limitations of the VR 4.0 and planned on replacing immediately, but was actually surprised at how limited it was. It may do well on sand, and like likely keep it around to try it in the summer.

2. The threads on the rear QR skewer suddenly snapped off leaving me with an un-rideable bike within the first 20 seconds of riding. My LBS didn't have spares, so I had to go to a competitor and buy a Hope skewer as a replacement until they can warranty it. This was likely a flawed part, but it didn't make me feel very good but my LBS took care of me WAY beyond what they needed to including paying a competitor full retail for a replacement.

3. The Wellgo pedals are garbage, get some decent flats or move your clipless over.

4. They are a blast, and affordable. I really like the frame geometry and the overall look of the machine. The components are relatively low-end, but its to be expected at it's price point - I am no stranger to upgrading bikes, and this one will get the same treatment. With the changes to the hardware, it will likely be the same cost as a Mukluk to build out

5. Double walled rims, they collect water in the drilled out areas, which then rotates around in the cavity (not noticeable), however after reading about people possibly bending lighter Surly RD or CS rims, I am more confident with a beefier rim.

2014 Norco Bigfoot-img_2314.jpg

I have some ODI Flight control bars on order, along with an Atlas bar for the wife, and two pairs of Blackspire SUB4 pedals. This should make them a little flashier. With all the sliding around I am hesitant to put my SPDs on.

Tomorrow, I am picking up 2 x120 TPI Nates for the rear and 2 x120 TPI Buds for the front and will be riding with those for the rest of the season. The Buds should fit, and I will likely try and see if they will fit on the rear end first as I really want to run a 4.6-4.8 in the back. I also plan on dropping to a single ring (32) so it looks like I might have the room

2014 Norco Bigfoot-img_2313.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast