Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Fatty Rumors

24K views 107 replies 54 participants last post by  nvphatty 
#1 ·
So, any good rumors about 2014 fat bikes floating around yet? I would love to see an aluminum Muk with tapered steartube and through axles. An X9 11 speed drive train would be a super bonus!

#42 ·
A fat S will be a joke unless they can actually bring something to the table. Rims, tires, cranks, hubs... otherwise, it's just a frame. No better than what is already out there. True, I dislike them and their business practices, but anyone entering the field now really needs to have a game changing design, otherwise they are also-rans.

#41 ·
X2 on the supply chain issue. It seems one has to be pretty determined to get one of these things if you live outside of "official" fat bike territory. I think components are as light as they should be already, the heavy parts of a fat bike, tires and wheels, are already at the point of sacrificing durability for weight savings. Yes, you might be able to save a pound and a half with frame materials and ultra light crank arms, but those parts won't be in stock either.

#48 ·
I heard that Duggus is psychic and the "Target HUFFY FAT BIKE" he alluded to, is actually being produces as a FULL SUSPENSION CHRISTMAS SPECIAL that will be available in Red & Green with Silver Bells, a RED Taillight up front, and it will fly.

I don't think anything special will happen, and at best there will be a trickling in of FB specific components, with greater tire choice and availability taking the lead.

And,
Whoever mentioned Salsa & Surly not making enough bikes, earlier in the thread ... That's probably very accurate :thumbsup:

#49 ·
I picture bike company boardroom meetings where executives discuss fatbikes.

CEO: "Those things are ridiculous. Is this clownbike fad over yet?"
Underling #1: "Uh, no, sir. Demand seems to be growing. I think we should go all in."
CEO: "You're fired. Who's got something better?"
Underling #2: "Um, 650B?"

#53 ·
The future for ftat bikes is normal season dirt trail riding, we need 55mm rims with 3.5 tires, 4" travel forks, 4" travel FS frame, pinion gearbox, only Nicholai would build such a bike at this time. Really we need suspension forks from major manuf. and Salsa to come through with tht spearfish prototype from last summer!?

#55 ·
3.5" tyres and 55mm rims is not fat.

A 4" tyre on 47mm rims is only 3.4".... I have a set and have just changed them for marge lites.

Fat bikes are fat, this 29+ and all that is a halfway house, they have their place but its not fat going by what's available now.

#69 ·
3.5" tyres and 55mm rims is not fat.

A 4" tyre on 47mm rims is only 3.4".... I have a set and have just changed them for marge lites.

Fat bikes are fat, this 29+ and all that is a halfway house, they have their place but its not fat going by what's available now.
29+ is fat, as they can be run down to pressures way lower than any 2.35 -2,7" tyres can be :)

Haha great thread!, not been on here for a while as got a bit bored of the threads going round and round and round... but this one is a good un... :thumbsup:
Been on the UK forum since its start up but too many `Beachriding is boring` comments and weight threads, and this `trail geometery` crap folk are banging on about from the usual daily posters...
So my prediction is next year 30lb + steel fatbikes will be uncool to ride on sand... ;)

You will need to be riding UK trail centres and places where regular mountainbikes are better :D

I dont know any blokes who know any blokes who know anything... I tried to get the dudes from SURLY drunk at FORTH FAT then get some info out of them but they can party hard and never let anything slip :cool:

Me, i will still be riding old steel fatbikes on sand mostly, 29+ on trails and look forward to all the Pugsleys coming up for sale cheap :thumbsup:

#56 ·
BTW im not trying to draw the line by whats fat and whats not, but in my short time of owing fatbikes and 5 different types of tyres over 4 sets of wheels, theres a big difference of what feels fat and what feels like a big MTB wheel.

#61 ·
Or 8898 strapping tape. We need a redesigned rim with a higher middle so it inflates easily.

The rockshox fork sounds good.... come on Schwalbe/Maxxis/Kenda !!! Its not going to go away you know ;)

#62 ·
I'm hearing (seriously) that one of the big names is working on and intends to release a FS fat bike. It will likely be expensive, but they are seriously looking to jump in the deep end with both feet. I got a name, but I was drinking and the night is fuzzy, and I don't want to be wrong or let the cat out of the bag. And no, it wasn't Specialized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.