Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Fatty Rumors

24K views 107 replies 54 participants last post by  nvphatty 
#1 ·
So, any good rumors about 2014 fat bikes floating around yet? I would love to see an aluminum Muk with tapered steartube and through axles. An X9 11 speed drive train would be a super bonus!

#4 ·
I talked to this guy who knows somebody who works in a shop who said both the Rockshox and Fox reps stopped in and said they will have a fatty fork for next year, no question. His cousin also knows a guy who's friends with the Specialized rep, and he heard him say that Specialized was staying out of the fatty game until they can formulate a plan to sue everyone for patent infringement. I think the latter has some credibility.

#14 ·
I heard that Surly and Salsa will not make enough of whatever it is you are looking for.

Expect a new tire that weighs less than current tires, costs more than an entry level wheel, and sells out before you've even heard of it. Also, expect that tire to be re-stocked about 3 days after you decide to buy another set of tires.

Expect at least 3 new hub widths.

Expect things to get lighter.

Expect things to get more expensive.

#25 ·
What I want to see and what I'm going to see this year are two different things.

I'm gonna see newer lighter wider.

What I want to see is supply chain problems going away. As in, if I want a tire, it's in stock. If I want a rim, it's in stock. If I want a frame, it's in stock in my size.

Seriously, I do not care if someone comes out with a 20 pound fatbike that only costs $500 bucks if no one ever has one in stock and the manufacturer only builds 10 of them.

So rather than newer, lighter, wider, let's hope for focus on the non sexy parts of fatbikes- the availability of parts.

#31 ·
What I want to see and what I'm going to see this year are two different things.

I'm gonna see newer lighter wider.

What I want to see is supply chain problems going away. As in, if I want a tire, it's in stock. If I want a rim, it's in stock. If I want a frame, it's in stock in my size.

Seriously, I do not care if someone comes out with a 20 pound fatbike that only costs $500 bucks if no one ever has one in stock and the manufacturer only builds 10 of them.

So rather than newer, lighter, wider, let's hope for focus on the non sexy parts of fatbikes- the availability of parts.
Indeed. I want the Race Face Turbine cranks in blue. Sold out... bah.

#28 ·
When even light wheels weigh as much as a decent roadbike wheelset, saving a couple grams with slightly lighter steel is kind of a waste of money. And when you are rolling on 4" wide tires @ 8lbs of pressure, you could have a frame made out of an I-beam and it would still feel cushy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.