Harrumph

2014 Arrowhead 135

Who's in?

I tricked two rookies into the fray this year. And the guy that duped me into my first AH135 decided to run this year. The frozen ass circle of life I suppose.

I miss the earlier days where things were more adventure than race, but always look forward to seeing how forks set up their bikes. Even though things have evolved to similar ends.

And here it is in writing; if I win the ski pulk in the raffle this year, I will ski or run next year.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Run, god that sounds like torture. I'm not going to do it this year. I am planning on doing the 2015 race. How do you train for the run? Heck have any tips of where and how to train for me for biking it?

Harrumph
    Getting some -20F miles in loaded up. Long range forecast says cold/dry for the next month. We'll see, here's to hoping for anything but the 29F and wet 9in of snow from last year.

Vagician
    I'll be there. Going to run single speed this time as I'm training for ITI. I also won a pulk last year and passed as I was not too interested in doing it on foot. But now I plan to either ski or run it next year..... So it goes.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    I'll be there. Going to run single speed this time as I'm training for ITI. I also won a pulk last year and passed as I was not too interested in doing it on foot. But now I plan to either ski or run it next year..... So it goes.
    Awesome! Did you finish last year? What are you doing for gearing? Still riding your self made bike?

And I saw the Pulk exchange hands more than once at the dinner last year, that's where I decided if I managed to ever win it that I would use it the following year.

Living the thug life.
    I'll be there.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Harrumph
    Of course you are Tri, the deafening silence of northern MN under fresh snow would be that much quieter without you.

Are you in form to compete with the top folks this year?

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Awesome! Did you finish last year? What are you doing for gearing? Still riding your self made bike?

And I saw the Pulk exchange hands more than once at the dinner last year, that's where I decided if I managed to ever win it that I would use it the following year.
    8th place last year. You? Gearing will be determined that morning and yes, I'll be on the homemade bike.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Of course you are Tri, the deafening silence of northern MN under fresh snow would be that much quieter without you.

Are you in form to compete with the top folks this year?
    I guess we'll find out.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You are all gloriously insane and for that I salute you.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Harrumph
    I was just a little too slow and got caught in the storm. It took nearly 18hrs to get from Melgorges to Ski-Pulk, and I bailed there. The last leg of the course owns me mentally on the best day, and I didn't have it in me to potentially walk the whole thing. Turns out it was groomed and only took the group I was riding with a little under 6hrs to finish it off. I built a fat bike frame last fall and was hoping to finish on it, turns out EP already had the "finished on a homebuilt" title.

Even then I would have finished 35th or higher, his thing is getting competitive. I finished 6th in 29:30 the first year I did the AH(2009), the last year I finished (2012) I was 15th with a time of 22:30. I'll be happy with a sub 24hr finish, but who knows how far down the order that will be this year.

Vagician
    18 hours from Melgorges to Ski-Pulk? Wow, that's a long time to be out there. Awesome effort!!!

You totally should get the AH done on a home built! I don't imagine that there have been many of us who have done it.

And yes, it's getting really competitive. Kinda seems like it's broken up into two groups. The ones who want to be at the top of the finisher board and the ones who want to just be on the finisher board. First year for me was to just finish. Second year was to improve on the first. This year, I'm going to try a different strategy altogether with a bunch of new challenges. We'll see how it goes.

I see we have another 30+ participants this year. Should make the start extra crowded.

Harrumph
    Salsa put out a short video of O'13 called "The Push." That's me @ 1:50!

Last edited by G-reg; 01-20-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Embed Fail

Vagician
    Nice Video!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This event looks like a blast! would love to do it in 2015.I got into ultra trail running for a number of years so may bring some runners with me? Happy trails to all!

mtbr member
    Inspiring! Very nice footage, video editing and narration. Thanks for sharing!

Harrumph
    Sooooo, that was rough. Had I not quit last year...I'd have probably bailed this year. I've participated in a few of the historically "cold" AH135's, and while this year might not have had the reported temp #s to compete with previous "cold" years....It was balls-cold. I talked to Tri a bit, if I talked to EP I didn't connect the dots to MTBR.

The conditions caught many very experienced racers out, and provided the full uncensored AH experience for the rookies.

Long story short the wheels came off the cart for me ~2hrs after leaving the second checkpoint. I bivvied up in the shelter around mi 90 because I was falling asleep while riding. The plan was to take a nap because I wouldn't make it to the 3rd checkpoint in my current state. Turns out the batteries for my lights didn't like being unused in the (at least) -30 weather. So after not the best nap ever, I found I had no lights....Back to the Bivy!!! Where I shivered my ass off and blew through all the chem heaters I had till the sun came up.

I was honestly really worried about things while packing up. By the time I had the bike ready to go I had zero feeling in my hands or feet and was seeing hypothermia symptoms elsewhere. Amazingly my body came around once out riding/eating/drinking again. I had given up on placing well or getting a PR looooooong before this point, so once I got things moving it was nice to just go as fast as I could manage to finish things out.

I've said I'll never do this one again many times. But I think I'm serious this time. I'll spectate/support/volunteer next year, but I've experienced all of the conditions and permanently damaged all the body parts I care to for this one.

And, there's more than one piss story this year. You have a stove and lighter correct? WTF, are you using piss for anything other than marking your territory?

Camera battery didn't even make it to the first corner:

Links:

Photos: The brutal Arrowhead 135 Ultra | MPR News Photos | Minnesota Public Radio News
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arrow...40879779273203

Arrowhead 135 endurance racers experience the wild of a north woods winter | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

Fat Bike, Survival Mode, And Drinking Your Own Urine At Minus-27 F. How To Podium At 'Arrowhead 135' | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

Jay Petervary?s Arrowhead 135 Victory In PhotographsJay Petervary Prepares for Arrowhead 13545North Extends Warranty on Fasterkatt ShoesPEDAL BICYCLEMerino TeeLE YETIZipper Care and UseNOW BIKES - ST. PAULNOW BIKES - ARDEN HILLSREDBIKETREK BICYCLE ST

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, G-reg, congratulations, and most of all, glad you made it out OK. That frigid night and morning must have been really long.

Living the thug life.
    Nice job out there. Wish I had felt better to have more to add to my story.

My blog.

Vagician
    I got frostbite on my face crossing elephant lake and with iti coming up I decided it wasn't worth it to potentially make it worse. I was having a great time out there though and everything was working great. I'm pretty sure that next year I'll be doing it on foot.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    I got frostbite on my face crossing elephant lake and with iti coming up I decided it wasn't worth it to potentially make it worse. I was having a great time out there though and everything was working great. I'm pretty sure that next year I'll be doing it on foot.
    I put on my best cheesy Steve Martin face and said, "Heeeeeeey Wow, that lake crossing was a lot of fun! Right?".....Nobody talked to me until the nice volunteers asked if I wanted a grilled cheese and soup.

A few years ago I talked to Eric Larson on the trail, not knowing who he was. He finished, but with a greater respect for Northern MN.
    And this year a couple of Back Of The Pack Racing dudes were there.
    There were quite a few very strong usual suspects, including a few ITI finishers that DNF'd at the 1st checkpoint.

It's a bit terrifying to see no $hit polar explorers and ITI finshers going, "holy crap, this sucks (I suck today), I'm done."

If you have a bad day at an XC race, well, you don't finish as well as you would like. If the wheels come off the cart at -40F there's, without exaggeration, a chance you are going to die. I had a few rookies I talked into this year, one dropped at gateway and one made it to Melgorges. And I'm feel bad they dropped, but am secretly happy they were exposed to the "full AH" experience. They didn't get any underhanded softball pitch for the weather/conditions.

Pics stolen from Burgess Eberhardt's

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    7th place finisher, Christopher Tassava, shared his story (and his JayP's Backyard Fat Pursuit story) with us. He was a great guest and has some great perspective. It's also cool that he finished on his "Beast" that wasn't the lightest, newest thing. Christopher Tassava shares his experiences of racing the Arrowhead 135 and JayP's Backyard Fat Pursuit