mtbr member
    Nov 2008

2013 Salsa Mukluk 3 Bottom Bracket

Took the bottom bracket apart on my Muk and think that it was cross threaded from the factory. Was a PITA to get out and had to have the LBS chase the threads. Now the drive side screws in well but I'm still having trouble getting the non-drive side to screw in. Bottom bracket is FSA ISIS DH. Anybody else have trouble with these BB's?

Thinking I'm just gonna trash it and get a SRAM or Race Face with external BB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Took the bottom bracket apart on my Muk and think that it was cross threaded from the factory. Was a PITA to get out and had to have the LBS chase the threads. Now the drive side screws in well but I'm still having trouble getting the non-drive side to screw in. Bottom bracket is FSA ISIS DH. Anybody else have trouble with these BB's?

Thinking I'm just gonna trash it and get a SRAM or Race Face with external BB.
    Will your solution will make your feet even wider apart?

One of the first things I did to my Muk was trash the Boat Anchor crank and bb and replace it with a gently used Phil BB and a pair of StrongArm cranks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    At 6'4" I don't mind the wide stance at all, but yes I think the external BB increases the Q factor a smidge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have the same on my Muk, and haven't had any issues yet. I have had issues with external BB's though. The ISIS are cheap and strong. If you are having trouble threading in the cup, I doubt an external would be necessarily better- the threads on your BB shell might still need attention, or the cup threading was really boogered up.

Anchorage, AK
    My threads were a little iffy too.
    --Peace

mtbr member

2013 Salsa Mukluk 3 Bottom Bracket

Are you trying to put the same bottoms bracket backin? The threads are prolly boogie redo it too.