Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

2013 Salsa Beargrease--Ridden

Detailed pics and thoughts here.

Short version: it rides like a light Mukluk. A really, really light Mukluk.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Kinda thin on BS for a bike review.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah, I know. I really don't have much to say about it...it works well for what it is--but really, what is it? It's a light Mukluk with nice components, built for racing. It reminds me of my similarly built Mukluk, albeit with a lighter frame. A ton has been written about the Mukluk (including a ton written by me). You have two routes: buy a Mukluk 2 and upgrade it extensively, as I've done...or buy a Beargrease. Both options work--a Beargrease is likely cheaper, certainly easier, and potentially ultimately lighter.

But I did want to get the detailed pics out, especially those showing tire clearance. That was my biggest question on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Looking at it, one thing I found interesting was the lack of the gusset connecting the head, top and downtube. I recall that the gusset was put in to meet some EU spec for mountain bikes. Wonder if the use of tapered head tube made the gusset redundant?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    Looking at it, one thing I found interesting was the lack of the gusset connecting the head, top and downtube. I recall that the gusset was put in to meet some EU spec for mountain bikes. Wonder if the use of tapered head tube made the gusset redundant?
    Good question and good speculation. Perhaps the tapered head tube + formed downtube helped...although the Spearfish, which has both of those features, does have the gusset.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Sold my Muk 3 last week.

and I put my order in for one of these today!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode one yesterday at carver, along with muk 2 and ti.

I have to say they all felt like the same geometry via the butt dyno. The beargrease did fill lighter and more nimble.

One thing I didn't like was the rear Seatstay yoke, when I was descending fast it was rubbing on my trailing leg. Nothing I wouldn't get used to but still in the way if you really want to crank on the downhills.

all and all Great Bike & Kit.

Cheers

Is it just me or does the headtube badge look weirdly low-placed? If it were higher over the tapper, it would be much faster IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Is it just me or does the headtube badge look weirdly low-placed? If it were higher over the tapper, it would be much faster IMO.
    The badge on the headtube is heavy and it slid down.

Drew
    Looks sweet only wish you could set it up as a ss, but then again I'm not even sure i could power a fatbike on the front range of co with a ss.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Yes, and it is triggering OCD in me that I didn't know I had.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Yes, and it is triggering OCD in me that I didn't know I had.
    Agreed... I would have to re-position it first thing if I bought that.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Outstanding machine! Rode it in Bend, Oregon in the Summer!! Working on the budget to buy one now!!! Snow is coming!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Good stuff, but I guess Salsa is right about Bud/Lou being a no go. The first chainstay clearance shot (fourth one down) makes me think even a Big Fat Larry on a Rolling Darryl would be pretty tight, but I know that angle is tricky. The second pic from bottom probably gives a better perspective, and I could see where a 4-5mm wider tire might fit.

Maybe Salsa will have a Bud/Lou compatible frame next year?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    I have plans for this.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've been wondering how much weight you could trim off without being *really* silly... (alloy bolts, drilling stuff, that sort of thing)

change cockpit to carbon bar, carbon post, lighter saddle & stem.

go tubeless + lighter tyres.

Formula or Magura brakes?

Carbon fork?

Kinda' getting to the limit there... any guesses on what a "std" 28lb medium might end up at?

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If its going to ride like a light Mukluk, I'd spend the extra $300 and get the Fatback SL. I went from a Muk2 to the Fatback last winter and you have two completely different bikes. I can easily ride the Fatback all year long, on typical XC singe track trails, it handles much better than the Muk2 when trails get twisty. Where it really shines is with the Hadley wheelset, worth every penny. Instantly noticeable when it comes to getting the bike moving compared to the Salsa wheelset.

The only downside is they ship with Endo and Larry, at least at the moment. As inventory depletes, I'm sure that will change. Personally I don't care for either, even the Larry has a mind of its own and will pull the bike when you start to lean it over or catch a rut. Either a Husker DU or Nate option would be my suggestion. I'm taking the Endo/Larry and studding them up for ice rides.

With Fatback you may have to wait on getting it built and shipped, but if you find out who Pete is, and know he's building your bike, you know why they're in such high demand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works View Post
    I've been wondering how much weight you could trim off without being *really* silly... (alloy bolts, drilling stuff, that sort of thing)

change cockpit to carbon bar, carbon post, lighter saddle & stem.

go tubeless + lighter tyres.

Formula or Magura brakes?

Carbon fork?

Kinda' getting to the limit there... any guesses on what a "std" 28lb medium might end up at?

Elvis.
    Me too thinking a small one. With carbon bars and stem. Seat post xtr spuds and my marge lites and a spare charge spoon ti saddle wonder how close to 25 it would be ???

Also thinking of frame set route. But I have a sq phil wood and middle urn cranks. I think the bear grease cranks are lighter than this combo??? But can't get the crankset by itself can I ??? Don't mind it being a double

Fat & Single
    The salsa bars and stem on there aren't massively heavy to start with.

220g moto 2 post, going carbon will save nothing, 260g bars that a little bit can be saved, stem i believe is 160g so you can drop 60g easily. For the price of going carbon on these and changing the nice blue greasedbear wheels for black marge lites i would be considering something else to start with.

I see the saddle has also changed to a pureV from the original weighed in SLT Silverado.

Is the bike still on target for a 28lb Med release weight ? If its 28.5lb you have just change the bars/stem/seatpost for nothing.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cozz View Post
    Me too thinking a small one. With carbon bars and stem. Seat post xtr spuds and my marge lites and a spare charge spoon ti saddle wonder how close to 25 it would be ???

Also thinking of frame set route. But I have a sq phil wood and middle urn cranks. I think the bear grease cranks are lighter than this combo??? But can't get the crankset by itself can I ??? Don't mind it being a double
    FYI - a double whirly set up is lighter then a triple phil wood/middleburn

have both, went through a bunch of this comparing last year...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Plans for my Blinggrease...

A 'M' is 28lb (12.7) out of the box...

Salsa Hubs - about 750g, Hope hubs - 580g
    Erikson seatpost saves about 100g or so
    Selle Italia Saddle - another 100
    WCS Carbon Bar - about 200
    Brakes (going to xtr trail) - maybe 100?
    XX deraileurs, twist shifters and cassette - maybe 200g?

Thats got me sub 12kg without fiddling with lightweight tubes or going tubeless... Save the pennies for a carbon fork and thats another 250g...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's a rather ugly color scheme.. The entire 2013 salsa line up of muks have really ugly fisher price colors

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaz View Post
    Plans for my Blinggrease...

A 'M' is 28lb (12.7) out of the box...

Salsa Hubs - about 750g, Hope hubs - 580g
    Erikson seatpost saves about 100g or so
    Selle Italia Saddle - another 100
    WCS Carbon Bar - about 200
    Brakes (going to xtr trail) - maybe 100?
    XX deraileurs, twist shifters and cassette - maybe 200g?

Thats got me sub 12kg without fiddling with lightweight tubes or going tubeless... Save the pennies for a carbon fork and thats another 250g...
    You might be a little aggresive in your numbers. An Erikson post won't save much over the ProMoto 2 unless you drop 100mm off the seatpost and even then it's less than 50g.

The WCS bars will save you about 125g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    It's a rather ugly color scheme.. The entire 2013 salsa line up of muks have really ugly fisher price colors
    Have you seen any of them in person? They look great.
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554 View Post
    Have you seen any of them in person? They look great.
    +1....my orange Muk 3 has some seriously sweet paint. Similar in depth and sparkle to my orange Ventana. That said, I also like the fact that it comes with black rims...I would agree that the color combos (Black/Blue and White/Green) of the BG and the Muk 2 are not my cup of tea, but the Muk 2's** do look better in person.

**Disclosure: I haven't yet seen a BearGrease. The manager of the LBS from which I bought my Muk (who test rode a BG earlier this year and placed an order back then) spoke with Salsa several weeks ago and was told Salsa has pretty much sold out of them while not having yet received a single production bike from the manufacturer. Hopefully they'll see demand outpacing supply and increase production accordingly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast