Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

2013 Salsa Beargrease--Ridden

Detailed pics and thoughts here.

Short version: it rides like a light Mukluk. A really, really light Mukluk.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Kinda thin on BS for a bike review.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah, I know. I really don't have much to say about it...it works well for what it is--but really, what is it? It's a light Mukluk with nice components, built for racing. It reminds me of my similarly built Mukluk, albeit with a lighter frame. A ton has been written about the Mukluk (including a ton written by me). You have two routes: buy a Mukluk 2 and upgrade it extensively, as I've done...or buy a Beargrease. Both options work--a Beargrease is likely cheaper, certainly easier, and potentially ultimately lighter.

But I did want to get the detailed pics out, especially those showing tire clearance. That was my biggest question on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Looking at it, one thing I found interesting was the lack of the gusset connecting the head, top and downtube. I recall that the gusset was put in to meet some EU spec for mountain bikes. Wonder if the use of tapered head tube made the gusset redundant?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    Looking at it, one thing I found interesting was the lack of the gusset connecting the head, top and downtube. I recall that the gusset was put in to meet some EU spec for mountain bikes. Wonder if the use of tapered head tube made the gusset redundant?
    Good question and good speculation. Perhaps the tapered head tube + formed downtube helped...although the Spearfish, which has both of those features, does have the gusset.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Sold my Muk 3 last week.

and I put my order in for one of these today!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode one yesterday at carver, along with muk 2 and ti.

I have to say they all felt like the same geometry via the butt dyno. The beargrease did fill lighter and more nimble.

One thing I didn't like was the rear Seatstay yoke, when I was descending fast it was rubbing on my trailing leg. Nothing I wouldn't get used to but still in the way if you really want to crank on the downhills.

all and all Great Bike & Kit.

Cheers

Is it just me or does the headtube badge look weirdly low-placed? If it were higher over the tapper, it would be much faster IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Is it just me or does the headtube badge look weirdly low-placed? If it were higher over the tapper, it would be much faster IMO.
    The badge on the headtube is heavy and it slid down.

Drew
    Looks sweet only wish you could set it up as a ss, but then again I'm not even sure i could power a fatbike on the front range of co with a ss.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Yes, and it is triggering OCD in me that I didn't know I had.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Yes, and it is triggering OCD in me that I didn't know I had.
    Agreed... I would have to re-position it first thing if I bought that.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Outstanding machine! Rode it in Bend, Oregon in the Summer!! Working on the budget to buy one now!!! Snow is coming!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Good stuff, but I guess Salsa is right about Bud/Lou being a no go. The first chainstay clearance shot (fourth one down) makes me think even a Big Fat Larry on a Rolling Darryl would be pretty tight, but I know that angle is tricky. The second pic from bottom probably gives a better perspective, and I could see where a 4-5mm wider tire might fit.

Maybe Salsa will have a Bud/Lou compatible frame next year?
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    I have plans for this.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've been wondering how much weight you could trim off without being *really* silly... (alloy bolts, drilling stuff, that sort of thing)

change cockpit to carbon bar, carbon post, lighter saddle & stem.

go tubeless + lighter tyres.

Formula or Magura brakes?

Carbon fork?

Kinda' getting to the limit there... any guesses on what a "std" 28lb medium might end up at?

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If its going to ride like a light Mukluk, I'd spend the extra $300 and get the Fatback SL. I went from a Muk2 to the Fatback last winter and you have two completely different bikes. I can easily ride the Fatback all year long, on typical XC singe track trails, it handles much better than the Muk2 when trails get twisty. Where it really shines is with the Hadley wheelset, worth every penny. Instantly noticeable when it comes to getting the bike moving compared to the Salsa wheelset.

The only downside is they ship with Endo and Larry, at least at the moment. As inventory depletes, I'm sure that will change. Personally I don't care for either, even the Larry has a mind of its own and will pull the bike when you start to lean it over or catch a rut. Either a Husker DU or Nate option would be my suggestion. I'm taking the Endo/Larry and studding them up for ice rides.

With Fatback you may have to wait on getting it built and shipped, but if you find out who Pete is, and know he's building your bike, you know why they're in such high demand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works View Post
    I've been wondering how much weight you could trim off without being *really* silly... (alloy bolts, drilling stuff, that sort of thing)

change cockpit to carbon bar, carbon post, lighter saddle & stem.

go tubeless + lighter tyres.

Formula or Magura brakes?

Carbon fork?

Kinda' getting to the limit there... any guesses on what a "std" 28lb medium might end up at?

Elvis.
    Me too thinking a small one. With carbon bars and stem. Seat post xtr spuds and my marge lites and a spare charge spoon ti saddle wonder how close to 25 it would be ???

Also thinking of frame set route. But I have a sq phil wood and middle urn cranks. I think the bear grease cranks are lighter than this combo??? But can't get the crankset by itself can I ??? Don't mind it being a double

Fat & Single
    The salsa bars and stem on there aren't massively heavy to start with.

220g moto 2 post, going carbon will save nothing, 260g bars that a little bit can be saved, stem i believe is 160g so you can drop 60g easily. For the price of going carbon on these and changing the nice blue greasedbear wheels for black marge lites i would be considering something else to start with.

I see the saddle has also changed to a pureV from the original weighed in SLT Silverado.

Is the bike still on target for a 28lb Med release weight ? If its 28.5lb you have just change the bars/stem/seatpost for nothing.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cozz View Post
    Me too thinking a small one. With carbon bars and stem. Seat post xtr spuds and my marge lites and a spare charge spoon ti saddle wonder how close to 25 it would be ???

Also thinking of frame set route. But I have a sq phil wood and middle urn cranks. I think the bear grease cranks are lighter than this combo??? But can't get the crankset by itself can I ??? Don't mind it being a double
    FYI - a double whirly set up is lighter then a triple phil wood/middleburn

have both, went through a bunch of this comparing last year...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Plans for my Blinggrease...

A 'M' is 28lb (12.7) out of the box...

Salsa Hubs - about 750g, Hope hubs - 580g
    Erikson seatpost saves about 100g or so
    Selle Italia Saddle - another 100
    WCS Carbon Bar - about 200
    Brakes (going to xtr trail) - maybe 100?
    XX deraileurs, twist shifters and cassette - maybe 200g?

Thats got me sub 12kg without fiddling with lightweight tubes or going tubeless... Save the pennies for a carbon fork and thats another 250g...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's a rather ugly color scheme.. The entire 2013 salsa line up of muks have really ugly fisher price colors

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaz View Post

Thats got me sub 12kg without fiddling with lightweight tubes or going tubeless... Save the pennies for a carbon fork and thats another 250g...
    You might be a little aggresive in your numbers. An Erikson post won't save much over the ProMoto 2 unless you drop 100mm off the seatpost and even then it's less than 50g.

The WCS bars will save you about 125g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    It's a rather ugly color scheme.. The entire 2013 salsa line up of muks have really ugly fisher price colors
    Have you seen any of them in person? They look great.
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554 View Post
    Have you seen any of them in person? They look great.
    +1....my orange Muk 3 has some seriously sweet paint. Similar in depth and sparkle to my orange Ventana. That said, I also like the fact that it comes with black rims...I would agree that the color combos (Black/Blue and White/Green) of the BG and the Muk 2 are not my cup of tea, but the Muk 2's** do look better in person.

**Disclosure: I haven't yet seen a BearGrease. The manager of the LBS from which I bought my Muk (who test rode a BG earlier this year and placed an order back then) spoke with Salsa several weeks ago and was told Salsa has pretty much sold out of them while not having yet received a single production bike from the manufacturer. Hopefully they'll see demand outpacing supply and increase production accordingly.

Yukon Rider

Beargrease

I ordered my BG on spec and am patiently awaiting its arrival here in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. The snow is falling, temps dropping and I would love to have my new Salsa soon Has anyone received theirs yet in the lower 48?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm also waiting on a BG ordered in August. I keep getting the answer "we are two weeks out". I suspect that one supplier is holding things up, tires?

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    +1....my orange Muk 3 has some seriously sweet paint. Similar in depth and sparkle to my orange Ventana. That said, I also like the fact that it comes with black rims...I would agree that the color combos (Black/Blue and White/Green) of the BG and the Muk 2 are not my cup of tea, but the Muk 2's** do look better in person.

**Disclosure: I haven't yet seen a BearGrease. The manager of the LBS from which I bought my Muk (who test rode a BG earlier this year and placed an order back then) spoke with Salsa several weeks ago and was told Salsa has pretty much sold out of them while not having yet received a single production bike from the manufacturer. Hopefully they'll see demand outpacing supply and increase production accordingly.
    I don't think they can order more this late in the season. I'm sure they were ordered months ago, and the supplier is making someone else's frames now.

My local shop thought they were a week out. The Beargrease needs to be annodized, and that process may have slowed up production. Tires are an option too, but I think those tires have been available at retail for a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    I don't think they can order more this late in the season. I'm sure they were ordered months ago, and the supplier is making someone else's frames now.

My local shop thought they were a week out. The Beargrease needs to be annodized, and that process may have slowed up production. Tires are an option too, but I think those tires have been available at retail for a while.

The 120tpi folding HuDu's that are spec'd on the Beargrease haven't been available since early/mid-July. I would hope the reason why it's been so long is due to Salsa claiming what was the remainder of the last production run for OEMing the Beargrease. If they need the HuDu's that are supposed to be available late Oct/ early Nov that probably means it will be March or April before the general public will have readily accessible UL HuDu's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice Bike! For those of us who live in places where we will have to order without ever throwing a leg over for size may I ask how tall you are and what your inseam is?

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaz View Post

Nice! My Beargrease build

Carver carbon fat fork
    Hope hubs laced to Schlick 47mm rims
    Husker Du tires (tubeless)
    eThirteen double crankset
    XTR brakes, front & rear deraileurs, shifters, cassette and chain
    Thomson post
    Thomson stem
    Salsa promoto carbon bar
    Sella Itallia Flite saddle

Yukon Rider
    To all future Beargrease owners, myself included

Just received an email from Andy from Salsa Customer Service yesterday evening as I was quite curious as to when BG's will be in North America.

His response was that they are about 2 weeks from their door in the States and then orders will be shipped as to when they were received and sent out accordingly to your local dealer.

For me that might mean, at the very latest, early December, yet now I know they are on the way!

As for bike specs I will leave mine as is for now, yet have ordered a full set of bags in high tech DX40 material from Scott at: Products - Porcelain Rocket Bicycle Frame Packs | Custom Bicycle Bags - The Porcelain Rocket

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    His response was that they are about 2 weeks from their door in the States and then orders will be shipped as to when they were received and sent out accordingly to your local dealer.

For me that might mean, at the very latest, early December, yet now I know they are on the way!
    As much as I love my 2013 Muk 3, I am most jealous of you future BG owners....if anything for the lighter build you'll get

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dehoff View Post
    The 120tpi folding HuDu's that are spec'd on the Beargrease haven't been available since early/mid-July. I would hope the reason why it's been so long is due to Salsa claiming what was the remainder of the last production run for OEMing the Beargrease. If they need the HuDu's that are supposed to be available late Oct/ early Nov that probably means it will be March or April before the general public will have readily accessible UL HuDu's.
    Husker Du's are available at QBP as of yesterday, 120tpi folding version!

Mikey

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm going to go touch one tonight. :-p

mtbr member
    Too bad they didn't spec the alternator dropouts, a lightish fatbike like this would be an ideal candidate for ss. Seems like an oversight or it was too late to spec it for the production run. Maybe next year? Anybody know if the fork will fit bfl's or lous?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    I'm going to go touch one tonight. :-p
    Uh oh, don't mess yourself until you at least leave the shop

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Too bad they didn't spec the alternator dropouts, a lightish fatbike like this would be an ideal candidate for ss. Seems like an oversight or it was too late to spec it for the production run. Maybe next year? Anybody know if the fork will fit bfl's or lous?
    Alternators would add weight, and since this bike was an exercise in cutting weight, they were not a consideration for the Beargrease.

The Salsa guys I've talked to about this have no inclinations at this point of making the bike single speed compatible. If you wanted to go SS, get the Mukluk frame, get the soon-to-be-available Beargrease fork, and you'd pretty much have what you are talking about here.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think the alternator dropouts were left out for weight reasons. It's a race bike and they likley removed weight any way they could.

From Salsa websight

Frame fits 26 x 3.8" tires on 100mm rims, but drivetrain modifications may need to be made
    • Frame fits Surly BFL on both 80 and100mm rims, but drivetrain modifications must be made
    • Frame DOES NOT fit Surly Lou tires on any rim. Those things are HUGE!
    • Frame DOES NOT fit Surly 29+ Knard/Rabbit Hole wheels
    • Fork clears all 3.8"/4.8"/29+ tires on 65/80/100mm combos currently known. (NOTE: Surly Bud on 100mm rim requires low pressure to squeeze past the caliper)

mtbr member
    Duh, I guess I didn't read far enough into the website. Sorry for the useless post.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidthefridgeguy View Post
    Nice Bike! For those of us who live in places where we will have to order without ever throwing a leg over for size may I ask how tall you are and what your inseam is?
    6'1". I ride a large in all Salsa frames. Beargrease is similar for sizing as Mukluk.

Yukon Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottytheoneandonly View Post
    6'1". I ride a large in all Salsa frames. Beargrease is similar for sizing as Mukluk.
    I am 5'6" and so far ride all Salsa's in a Small.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I like the look of this bike...

...need to ride one!

mtbr member
    Beargrease framesets are available in Minneapolis. Very nice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    is anyone selling this bike in the US?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don’t believe that dealers have received any production bikes yet. I ordered mine in August and have been told that it will arrive by the end of the month.

I also heard that the production run has been spoken for, although some dealers may have ordered units for stock.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just saw a frameset in the wild at North Central Cyclery in DeKalb. I know they ordered a passel of completes and framsets...not sure if they're all spoken for or not.

blood in / blood out
    We have just frame and forks at the shop for now. I just built one of our frames up at the shop on friday. It looks to be a nice bike for the weight weenie gang, I'll stick with my Mukluk for the time being though. So they are starting to show up in small numbers. Complete bikes are still a few weeks out before they start to roll into our shop, so they are a coming also.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Yukon Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    We have just frame and forks at the shop for now. I just built one of our frames up at the shop on friday. It looks to be a nice bike for the weight weenie gang, I'll stick with my Mukluk for the time being though. So they are starting to show up in small numbers. Complete bikes are still a few weeks out before they start to roll into our shop, so they are a coming also.
    Curious where you are located? Keep us posted on when you start getting full builds of the BG. Thanks

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    Curious where you are located? Keep us posted on when you start getting full builds of the BG. Thanks
    he's in minnnnnnneeesoda, MN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast