Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    130

    2013 Salsa Beargrease obsolete?

    Yeah. I tried to hook you with the title.

    The reason? bikerumor.com gives me the impression that 190mm rear dropouts are the new standard and I better get my 170mm hubs while they're still available.

    I also need a bottom bracket. I tried to save some money by installing a 148mm wide FSA Isis unit but the cranks don't clear the chainstays. Some people have reported success with this combo. Maybe it didn't work for me because of the size SM frame?

    So I need a bottom bracket and hubs with an XX1 driver body. I may have to buy cranks and a chain ring too but I'm holding off on that for now.

    I'm not asking you to do the research for me. Just hoping someone has already trodden this trail and can steer me the right way.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,049
    Contact HOPE and ask them when they're gonna start making a 190mm rear hub, and more importantly, when they intend to stop production of their 170mm hubs.

    If they tell you they are no longer making a 170mm unit, then you can begin to panic.

  3. #3
    Ride good on the internet
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    214
    You really think 170 hubs are going away?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,264
    I'm waiting for a 170 rear-spacing fork, so I can swap the wheels like the good old days.

  5. #5
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,859
    the new standard (for the last 5 years) has been that there is no standard unless change can be considered a standard. Without change, there would have never been fat-bikes, so change is good (sometimes).
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Adventure View Post
    You really think 170 hubs are going away?
    I hope not. Here are the options so far

    Hope. I've heard nothing bad and I think they have an XX1 driver body now.
    White Industries Snowhite 135/170mm units (sharp looking and expensive at around 570g for the pair). Don't know about an XX1 driver body.
    616fab.com. The should have a set available this month and Easton should have an XX1driver body for them. Around $500 for this set but I don't know the weight.

    I'll report back if I can dig up some more specs. Thanks for the replies.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,087
    Wtf is going on with this thread? First op calls out the mighty grease...then asks for advice? I'm leaving.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    I hope not. Here are the options so far

    Hope. I've heard nothing bad and I think they have an XX1 driver body now.
    White Industries Snowhite 135/170mm units (sharp looking and expensive at around 570g for the pair). Don't know about an XX1 driver body.
    616fab.com. The should have a set available this month and Easton should have an XX1driver body for them. Around $500 for this set but I don't know the weight.

    I'll report back if I can dig up some more specs. Thanks for the replies.
    There's also options from Paul, Fatback (two options), 907, Phil Wood, and Salsa. Since the Paul uses an I9 freehub, that one has an XX1 option.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Wtf is going on with this thread? First op calls out the mighty grease...then asks for advice? I'm leaving.
    Just trying to figure out what hubs to buy for my Beargrease frame. Right now I'm bewildered. Was hoping to hear from someone who already evaluated all the options and picked a set they were happy with.

  10. #10
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Reputation: alphazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,301
    FrY10cK, this is probably what you wanted to hear so here we go. Your 2013 Salsa Beargrease will be obsolete by the end of the year as every 2014 fat bike will have 190mm spacing. You had better sell it quick and get the new stuff.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    750
    Standard for who? My fatbike rear is 135.

    There is always going to be something new coming down the pipeline. The existence of 190mm hubs wouldn't make the 170mm hubs any less capable.

    Personally, I don't understand why you'd want to limit yourself to a smaller and smaller selection of hubs.

  12. #12
    A Surly Maverick
    Reputation: Dr Feelygood !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,510
    For those who may have already bought an obsolete Beargrease, please do not worry

    I will happily care for you obsolete 'Grease for the small charge of $10 per bike + postage to the UK.

    Please send them (all) to :-

    Dr Feelygood's Home for Old Skinnys Greasers,
    Furness Peninsula Beaches,
    Cumbria.

    Terms* and conditions apply**

    Cheers,
    Dr FG (caring for the unwanted and FAT since whenever).

    *Terms:- don't be daft just enjoy your Beargrease !

    **Conditions:-Sandy Usually.
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood ! View Post
    For those who may have already bought an obsolete Beargrease, please do not worry

    I will happily care for you obsolete 'Grease for the small charge of $10 per bike + postage to the UK.

    Please send them (all) to :-

    Dr Feelygood's Home for Old Skinnys Greasers,
    Furness Peninsula Beaches,
    Cumbria.

    Terms* and conditions apply**

    Cheers,
    Dr FG (caring for the unwanted and FAT since whenever).

    *Terms:- don't be daft just enjoy your Beargrease !

    **Conditions:-Sandy Usually.

    lol

    And if you get so many of those pesky obsolete beargeasesthat you can't get in your surgery door you can send the excess up to me in sunny EL! ;-)

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 Salsa El Mariachi
    By Shmoo in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
  2. No more 2013 Salsa Mukluk's?
    By nynomad in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 01:52 AM
  3. 2012 Salsa Horsethief vs 2013 Salsa Horsethief 2
    By Radioface in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 02:33 AM
  4. Anybody make old/obsolete parts into artwork anymore?
    By zarr in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 08:04 PM
  5. 2x9 obsolete but 2x10 new craze why?
    By dang in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •