mtbr member
    Jul 2004

2011 Pugs Chain Rub

I recently picked up a lightly used 2011 pugs. It's all stock with the large marge and endo in the rear. I was riding it the other night and if I cranked hard in the granny gears the chain would rub on the tire. Is this common or could something be setup wrong with my bike? Right now the wheel is all the way to the front of the track ends and is secured with a quick release. I played with sliding it back but this being my first bike with track ends couldn't figure out how to make sure it was square then. Is there a trick to all this?

Geordie biker
    Never had issues with mine, is the rear tire central between the stays?

I'm using slightly larger Nate tires, room is limited but still no rubbing.
    2014 cannondale badboy 9
    2014 salsa beargrease
    2014 milage so far - 2,095
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    No issues with mine but my wheel is running about half way back - when i had the stock tire on.

Ed

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree with Salty; I've heard that some of the pre-built Pugs were shipped with the wrong wheel dish. Otherwise, it's not impossible to tweak the frame. My dad found that he had tweaked the stays on his purple Pug about 3/8" to the drive side (he's 200+ lbs. on 180mm cranks) so he used it as an excuse to buy a ML.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just doing a visual inspection last night the wheel looked to be centered. I'll get the calipers out and measure this evening. It doesn't rub when just cruising around I had it happen when cranking hard in 6" of wet snow to get up a small hill. Seems like the frame is either flexing and allowing the wheel to hit the chain or the wheel is twisting in the dropouts.

locked - time out
    Jun 2010

Endo Buzz

Do you know for certain what the tire is rubbing on?

I had a MK 1 Pug and under similar conditions I could get the tire to buzz the front der cage.

Fixed with a set of monkey nuts from a karate monkey build to kick the rear wheel forward a bit, and tightening the lower limit a hair.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well I was busy with other things last night and didn't get a chance to look into this but I think you might have just hit the nail on the head Kev-Bot. I remember noticing when I was putting it together that the front der cage was really close to the tire with the wheel slid all the way forward. I suspect if I move it back a bit the problem will go away. Hadn't thought about the cage.