mtbr member
    Dec 2017

20+ in snow for kids

I went to my bike shop today and they got the new Trek Roscoe 20 which have 2.8 20 inches tires.

This bike would be for a 49in tall 48lbs 7y old girl. She's riding trails with me all the time even if she have a department store bike but during winter she can't and I'd like it to ride with me all year long.

I looked at having, like me, two bikes. A fat bike for winter and a trail bike for when there's no snow.

Or! I was wondering if the Roscoe would fit the bill in snow as she's only 48lbs...

Thanks

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    i bought the standard Roscoe for the wife. She rode in a wee bit of snow at the end of the season, and didn't have a problem. #wouldbuyagain

I like the Roscoes. Decent bike for the $. Hopefully the guy from Dukes of Hazard doesn't sue them so the price goes up...:P

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'd give it a try on the Roscoe at her size. Kids don't have the outright strength to get through snow so more float helps which may be good for her. My not so small kids who are now 8 (75lb, 54-55" tall?) and 11 (90lbs? 61"?) both have fatbikes. Mostly because they love the idea of them so that's what hooked them to come ride.

The 8yo girl is on a Framed compact fatbike with 24" x 4" tires. The 11yo boy has a Norco Bigfoot 4.3 with the same tires. The boy is a better rider and has been able to manage fairly packed snow on the trails and loose stuff around the house pretty well. The girl can do the packed stuff fine too but doesn't like it because she's not as strong of a rider.

The bikes have both been great so far. I really like the Norco but functionally the Framed is just as good and the girl likes the colors better. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest either bike if you can find them.