mtbr member
    Oct 2012

1x13 drivetrain.

I am working on building a 170mm hub from a widened capreo hub, with a 9t conversion cog set from canfield bros. I am getting an ICE hub to widen, and with the 9, 11, 13, and 16t cogs added to the 6 inner cogs from a 10 speed cassette, I will have a 9-36t 10 speed. Kind of a cheap alternative to XX1.

I was thinking though, what if I used a 150mm DH hub with full width freehub body, and added the capreo retainer to add some more cogs in the middle, and get a 9-36t 13speed cassette, and add up to 170mm with the extra width. Turning some step down spacers on the lathe should take care of the width and the 10mm dropouts.

I know this would yield an awful chainline in some gears, but could I find a derailleur and shifter combo to make it work.

I think, if I get a thumbie and put it inline in the rear shifter cable, put it on the left side, that should take care of the shifter needing 3 more positions,and would give me trim adjustment.

now, just need a derailleur with enough travel.

addicted to chunk
    Wouldn't that just wear out the chain quickly??
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think unless you have all the extra parts (capreo parts, extra shifter, etc) it's not gonna be cheaper than XX1.
    couple that with bad chainline and I don't see why.
    do it!!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    I think unless you have all the extra parts (capreo parts, extra shifter, etc) it's not gonna be cheaper than XX1.
    couple that with bad chainline and I don't see why.
    do it!!
    I am working on doing a 10 speed 9-36 cassette right now. this uses regular 10 speed shifting and spacing, and will work just fine with my 10 speed setup. The only reason I am having to do anything special is to fit a 170mm frame. Canfield Bros already sells a kit for 135, 142, and 150mm frames.

Were I to do a 13 speed version, I doubt it would work very well. I just noticed the possibility, and may do it just to push the limit, and see how many rear gears is too many. If it does work ok, I will have been the first to have what will probably become common in a few years. We have stretched the 130/135mm number of speeds to the limit with 10, and 11 speed stuff. If stuff gets any narrower it will break. It may still happen, because they will saturate the market with 10, then 11 speed stuff, then have to come out with something to sell more new parts. It will likely make a move to a new wider cassette like when they went from 6 to 7 speed, and probably wider axles to accomodate the wider cassette, since that didn't happen last time it got wider from 7 to 8 speed.

It may be good for fat tire lovers, as all of that means regular mtb hubs and chainlines will move out, and maybe they will figure out a way to use 83mm BBs with a reverse offset 170mm rear wheel, or something stupid like that, making more wider hubs available. It probably will only mean a jump from 135 to 145 or 150mm for mtbs, and 130 to 135mm for roadies though, as they will do it incrementally, and be trying to keep the Q factor narrow.

And, as for chain wear on a 10 speed chain going across 13 gears on a 1x13 setup, yes it will wear out the chain quicker, and be inefficient in the low, and high gears, but with that wide a range, it won't be at the ends very often if the chainring selected is right for the use. Maybe I can mount the front chainring so that it can float back and forth on the crank with a guide sprocket tensioner right behind it that swings in and out a bit