mtbr member

1x10 chain guide question....

Hey guys, I run a Krampus 1x10 without a chain guide (I use the RaceFace narrow-wide chainring up front). I'll also note that this bike also has a clutch-style derailleur (Shimano SLX w/ Shadow +). I get virtually no chain bounce (the chain has never touched the rear stay). It has never dropped the chain.
    I am building out a new fatbike for my son with a the same SLX derailleur on a 1x10 setup. However, I chose to go with a E13 front chainring...not the Narrow-Wide Raceface (that was designed to help eliminate chain drop).
    Do you guys think I should run a chain guide? Or will the clutch-style derailleur negate my need for one?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd say try it out without a guide first.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I plan on it... I'm not terribly worried. I'd still like to hear some opinions from 1x10 users. Thanks all.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I run 1x10 on my fat and non-fat bike, works great. The fat bike needs a guide because it's not a clutch-derailleur, but other than that it works great, no complaints. The other bike with the XX1 cranks and clutch derailleur works like magic, chain just sticks to the rings.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Great... thanks for the validation Jayem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Have run 1x10 for 18 months, and dropped the chain 2 times and that's without a clutch rear or the new style wide narrow rings. No complains. I run a short cage rear.

I've now moved to a wide narrow ring as I needed new bits but had that not been in the shop when I rocked up to buy I'd not have batted an eyelid over a plain old ring.

mtbr member
    I'm running 1x10 with a XTR clutch derailleur and a chromag ring in the front with a mrp 1x chain guide.

Haven't ever dropped a chain and the only place I got chain slap was on the beginners down hill course over the weekend at the mtb park.

mtbr member
    Running 1x10 with a zee derailer and a regular raceface SS ring (last 5 weeks), no drops yet but my chains pretty short ;-)

mtbr member
    Thanks again guys. You have all validated what I suspected. But being this is for my 10-yo son, I wanted to make sure I was not putting him at risk.
    I had the MRP chainguide on the Krampus, and I really disliked it. The chain rub, and anytime the conditions got muddy, the grinding from the guide and chain were awful. Since I got the Raceface narrow-wide, I ditched the MRP and have been very happy. I am really digging the clutch-style derailleur... and based on your feedback, a narrow-wide ring does not seem to be a requirement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think that the short derailleur with the shortest chain means just as much as the clutch and narrow wide. I have a theory that the narrow wide designs make more noise when the chain angle is high. Plus I think the raised teeth wear and load the chain in a strange way. I figure that this will limit the narrow wide advantages as the parts wear. For all but the most extreme usage, I'm betting that a SS chain ring, without narrow wide, is the ticket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Thanks again guys. You have all validated what I suspected. But being this is for my 10-yo son, I wanted to make sure I was not putting him at risk.
    My 9yo built up a 1x10 under my guidance this summer. Regular SS ring on the front, regular XT mid cage rear and an E13 seat post mounted chain guide. Keep the chain on the short side.

While the guide may not be totally necessary, kids find their way into the oddest situations and I did it for insurance. Can your son clear the chain if it does drop to the inside? Before the same guide on his old bike, my son had dropped it on a ride through the neighborhood when he was by himself and he couldn't free it from between the BB shell and square tapper crank. Was a long walk home and tears were shed.

Recently the kids are trying to ride over/through the piles of leaves that are raked to the street for town pickup. Dropped the chain but was able to fix it himself by stepping out of the pile, lifting the rear wheel and hand pedaling.
    Even though I told him that his friends weren't allowed to ride it you/he can't police everything. They all drop their bikes in a pile and run off to play. One kid circles back and decides he'd like to try it on the DL. Coming from a coaster brake BMX style bike the kid didn't know about back-pedaling or shifting. He dumped 3 gears at once while spinning the wrong way and threw the chain. Not knowing what to do he ditched the bike where it broke, in another yard, and went on his way. I only find out about it days later when I ask why the crank arms are all scratched up. Again, my son sorted it himself after the panic of "where did my bike go" subsided.