How much does it weigh?

1st Gen Fatback Aluminium, biggest tires?

So I've got a 2011 Fatback Aluminium with 26x3.8 Larry tires on it.

I've been thinking about upgrading or merely changing the rims from something other than the cheap Graceful Fat Sheba's I drilled out myself over 6 years ago.

It's kitted with Hadley hubs, and a 1st Gen Fatback Carbon fork as well, which I prefer not to change either of those parts.

I'd like tubeless, and to save some weight, but at the same time, maybe get some fatter tires, if they can fit.

Anyone know off hand what fat tire combos will fit in this "old" steed.1st Gen Fatback Aluminium, biggest tires?-21-11-12-wheelie-timere.jpg

turtles make me hot
    1st Gen Fatback Aluminium, biggest tires?-hempstead-20160512-00007.jpg

This is an 11 or 12... Can't remember. I originally bought it for myself but when I found out Bud and Lou on Clownshoes wouldn't fit, I gave it to my brother and built something else for myself.
    This bike has Darryls and Bontrager Barbegazis. 4.7" Fit very nicely.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 03-09-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    I like turtles

This place needs an enema
    Bontrager Jackalope rims are the quickest way to shave some weight, not lose any width, and get easy-button tubeless.

Surly MOBD and HED B.A.D. will also shave weight from what you have. Both have a great tubeless interface.

Surly's will be heavier than the Jackalope because of the need to add a strip and wall-to-wall tape to seal it up tubeless.

Hed's are really, really light. Somewhat prone to denting (read: failure) if you tend to smack immovable objects.

turtles make me hot
    Yep. Forgot to mention MOBD's. I have them on my bike and they're WAY lighter than the Clownshoes they replaced and they tubelessed super easy with Whiskey tape.
    I like turtles

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    Not sure of the exact year I have but I believe it is from around 2013 with a 170 qr rear. I have Nextie 65mm rims on it and have had both a Dillinger 5 and Specialized Ground Control mounted with not much room left.

How much does it weigh?
    Nice that a 4.6" fits!

By the way, my GFS rims weigh in at 850 grams, as per my drilling.

Jackalopes appear to weigh the same?

So any weight loss with those would be purely the lack of tube and rim strip to cover the holes? And of course depending on new tire choice...

Which tires roll as well as a Larry? But are lighter and wider?

The MOBD rims look good though, lighter than the Bontrager rims at least, and I like having the red rim tape show through!

1st Gen Fatback Aluminium, biggest tires?-img_1530re.jpg

sluice box
    Dillinger 5 will roll the best.
    I'm running 1*10 and have used Specialized GC 4.6, Vee Snowshoe 4.5, Dillinger 5 and Terrene Wazia 4.6 on Uma 90, Uma 70 and DT Swiss BR710.
    ptarmigan hardcore

How much does it weigh?
    Looking to save some weight though. Those tires will re-add the weight I lost.

sluice box
    https://fat-bike.com/2012/01/tire-we...for-fat-bikes/
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post

Which tires roll as well as a Larry? But are lighter and wider?
    Looking to save some weight though. Those tires will re-add the weight I lost
    BorgSchlutz, I was just posting all the tires larger than a Larry I've used on an old junky Aluminum 170mm QR Fatback in the past. You then axed what rolls better and light weight. D5s roll the best of the 4.5/6 bunch that I've used. Maybe try to find the JJ 4.4 LS. Keep googling weights you will find the tire that will work for you.
    ptarmigan hardcore

How much does it weigh?
    You could at least copy and paste my name.

You're insulting my name and my bike, nice work there.

sluice box
    You could at least copy and paste my name.

You're insulting my name and my bike, nice work there.
    My bike was the old junky 170mm qr Fatback BTW.
    It is living its life out in the village someplace on the Kusko now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st Gen Fatback Aluminium, biggest tires?-glacier-bike-small.jpg  

ptarmigan hardcore

How much does it weigh?
    Apparently Big Fat Larry (In light casing) is wider and lighter than my old Larry tires.

Anyone else recommend a tire that meets the lighter and similar or better rolling resistance category?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As with pretty much anything in the bike world, take Surly's weights with a grain of salt. I have a pair of their "ultralight" casing 3.8 Larrys and they are heavier than my regular wire bead Larrys. They missed the claimed weight by a couple hundred grams each.

JJ's are light and fast. Not the greatest traction in snow but workable if weight is a big concern.

Also the "name brand" Chinese carbon rims are a good way to save weight. I've got to think the 600 to 650 gram 80mm rims are more durable than the ultralight aluminum rims that weigh the same.
    Latitude 61

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    My bike was the old junky 170mm qr Fatback BTW.
    It is living its life out in the village someplace on the Kusko now.
    That's nowhere near 1st gen.

I have one of the 1.5(late 2009/early2010) gen Aluminum Fatbacks and a BFL would not fit in the back. I think 105mm +/- is going to be the widest that will fit.

1st Gen Fatback Aluminium, biggest tires?-10361263_10154345530725051_4669764781670222108_n.jpg

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    That's nowhere near 1st gen.

I have one of the 1.5(late 2009/early2010) gen Aluminum Fatbacks and a BFL would not fit in the back. I think 105mm +/- is going to be the widest that will fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10361263_10154345530725051_4669764781670222108_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1125817
    You are correct. Watch those drops you may dent/wrinkle your down tube and get one of the funky frames that I had on warrantee. Those Spenard bombers were fun btw.
    ptarmigan hardcore

is buachail foighneach me
    Mine lasted a surprisingly long time through way more abuse than it should have. I always called them the Spenard Slugger edition, due to the softball bat style downtube. It's still fine, but hanging on the garage wall. Upgraded to a Corvus 2 years ago.

By the way, my GFS rims weigh in at 850 grams, as per my drilling.

That includes the weight of tape (or strip) and tube?

How much does it weigh?
    No, just the rim alone. Strip is fabric with packing tape, and tube is about 150 grams.

No, just the rim alone. Strip is fabric with packing tape, and tube is about 150 grams.

You're gonna add about 25g of tape and valve to the Jackalope to make it tubeless, plus however much sealant you need.

That said, the main difference you'll notice from going tubed -> tubeless is not necessarily the weight loss, but the decreased rolling resistance.

How much does it weigh?
    Are the MOBD rims not lighter by enough to offset that? Vs the Jackalope rims?

Either way, main reasons to switch was to prevent flats, and lose weight was kind of just something I wanted as a bonus.

I did ride a tubeless setup Fatbike, but I can't remember what wheels were on it, it had one of those Lauf? forks with the carbon flexing linkage thing... that bike felt much easier to accelerate than mine. It had more aggressive tires, but rolled better.

turtles make me hot
    MOBDs weigh around 700 grams apiece. Surly says 710. I weighed mine before I built them and they were right there. Old Darryls are 860. With an older Surly rim you had to split tube. With the MOBDs only rim strip and tape. I simply cannot believe how much better my bike feels with the same tires and the lighter rims.

Also, those Barbegazis on my brother's bike are pretty light and roll pretty nice too. Big Fat Larry on a MOBD should fit in that frame and they roll fast.
    I like turtles

Are the MOBD rims not lighter by enough to offset that? Vs the Jackalope rims?

I think the MOBD's are ~50g heavier, but you're going to add at least 100g, and probably more like 150g, to get a durable tape setup that holds air for a season+.

And by durable, I mean that can withstand actual riding on trail, and maybe even a tire change or two, without needing to be torn out and replaced every few months.

How much does it weigh?
    So it sounds like I should get the Bontrager rims and tires then.

I like the tread pattern on the Bontrager, reminds me of a Schwalbe tire, and I know patterns like that with the shallow knobs roll pretty nicely.

Will have to do some measuring, and make sure those tires will fit though! Will probably run into some chain rub in the granny gear though, Oh well, I live in Ontario, not many hills anyway.

Now I just need to find where I can get those rims and tires in Canada for not super expensive.