Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New question here. 190mm rear quick release issue?

Curious if anyone else has had their rear quick release pop out of the drop-outs...
    190mm 907 with quick release skewer.
    It's happened twice now. It has occurred when I was powering up hills both times and in small chainring and lower geared cogs.
    I now have the skewer the tightest I ever had on any bike. It's clamped so tight now that it hurt my hand to squeeze it closed.
    I thought maybe some of the bigger powerhouse guys here might have run across this - if it is an issue other than me just not realizing how darn tight the quick release needs to be clamped.

Fat Biker
    Haven't had a problem with my Borealis' rear end. Try putting a bit of lube or graphite on the pivot of the QR to aid in smooth closing. A lot of times brand new ones seem too dry to close effectively for me.

Sent from my mobile
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It happened to me to a couple of days ago...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Get some friction paste used for carbon seatposts, etc and apply to the inside and outside of the dropouts.
    Finish Line makes the most aggressive one that we have tried.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    All of the comments above I make common practice on all my bikes. I lube the dropouts, lube the pivot on the qr. Not sure which qr came with your bike, but salsa makes some nice ones. Either that or switch to TA (not tits and ass).

mtbr member
    Mine did it the other day but I forgot that I had taken the skewer out for some maintenance. When I re-installed it I did not position or tighten it correctly. When it came out I just reset it and made it good and tight and all is well. Definitely keep it lubed but I think the biggest thing is to keep all the contact areas clean of dirt and grit. You need full metal to metal contact in this area and keep the skewer very tight.
    FYI:
    I am currently 200 lbs. and I ride aggressively.

mtbr member
    I'm often surprised at how loosely many people have their rear QRs adjusted.
    The general rule is that you should feel resistance right at the point the lever is in-line with the axle and then have to push the lever around the cam hard enough it leaves a little indentation in your palm.

Nuts
    I really like the King fun bolts!! I wish there was a way to convert my existing hubs to a system like that.
    And I love beer!!

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've actually had lots of "clicking noises" coming from the rear of my Al 170mm Fatback in the past. At first it sounded like bottom bracket "clicking", but I finally narrowed it down to the rear end. It only went away when I tightened the rear "thru skewer" insanely tight. The Fatback hub and skewer don't have super aggressive knurling on them to grip the dropout. One of my other wheels has a Hope rear hub and skewer with more aggressive knurling, and the clicking sound doesn't happen under fairly normal tightness. I swear that thru axles front and rear seem like the way to go with the fat bikes. Just my 2cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I really appreciate the helpful input everyone! I do have some leftover carbon paste from a seat post and I'll lube the pivot area of the QR as well. It sounds very likely that I wasn't keeping it as tight as I should and need to start following the the other helpful hints provided. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What brand/type of quick release is it? If it has a plastic bushing, I'd throw it out. Normally I'd suggest using a Shimano QR, but with that spacing, it's just not an option. So go with a quality unit and lube the cam with a little teflon grease if the cam is exposed (like a Salsa style unit) or dribble in a little chain lube if it's not (such as a Shimano QR).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    What brand/type of quick release is it? If it has a plastic bushing, I'd throw it out. Normally I'd suggest using a Shimano QR, but with that spacing, it's just not an option. So go with a quality unit and lube the cam with a little teflon grease if the cam is exposed (like a Salsa style unit) or dribble in a little chain lube if it's not (such as a Shimano QR).
    I dunno what kind it is. It came with the bike from 907, and is one of the nicer looking ones I've seen. There don't appear to be any identifying markings, but the surface the cam rotates against isn't metal and is exposed - so is now lubed

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Were those your tracks I saw at lowes tonight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Naw - I was at NWP. Good evening for it Getting snowy...

Nuts
    if I can ever get on this damn bike I am so coming over there to go riding this winter.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    if I can ever get on this damn bike I am so coming over there to go riding this winter.
    It'd really be cool to see a Yampa around here - and you too for that matter

Mr.Green
    Id try to remove the 'springs', to ensure that the quick release actually is holding the dropouts and not simply compressing the springs to the hub axle.
    Mr.Green

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    Do these skewers have chrome rods by any chance?

A couple of my customers have found that those cheaper rods stretch a bit too much in a 190 application.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    Naw - I was at NWP. Good evening for it Getting snowy...
    Ahhh, then there is another bike lurking that has Bud and Lou.

It'd really be cool to see a Yampa around here - and you too for that matter
    Get'er built up bOb, and we will unite like the three amigos. Only instead of silly cowboy outfits and goofy hats, we will be wearing silly bicycle outfits and goofy helmets, but be riding on machines that cost more than horses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

190mm rear quick release issue?

Ahhh, then there is another bike lurking that has Bud and Lou.

Get'er built up bOb, and we will unite like the three amigos. Only instead of silly cowboy outfits and goofy hats, we will be wearing silly bicycle outfits and goofy helmets, but be riding on machines that cost more than horses.
    Lol!

Nuts

Can I still wear a goofy hat?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    ToastR, read my post in the Fat Bike Picture thread. No skewer issues.

turtles make me hot
    WHY doesn't DT Swiss make RWS for fat bikes??
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    ToastR, read my post in the Fat Bike Picture thread. No skewer issues.
    Thanks for addressing the other part of my concern. Namely, do powerful efforts cause the skewer to dislodge? And it seems the answer is that it doesn't - if I am more attentive to clamping it tight/lubing it/using some friction paste

mtbr member
    Thanks for addressing the other part of my concern. Namely, do powerful efforts cause the skewer to dislodge? And it seems the answer is that it doesn't - if I am more attentive to clamping it tight/lubing it/using some friction paste
    I will tell you I was thinking about this thread the first few times I jumped a log or powered it standing up a hill but not worry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast