mtbr member
    Mar 2009

190mm frames geometry can fit a 4.8 tire but is the BB drop optimised for them?

Last saturday I demoed 6 fatbikes. My attention focused on the only 2 190mm frames. Both cockpits were similar and both had Holy Rolling Darryls rims. The major difference was the tires and how they handled.

The first one had Nates, had great stability in the turns. The second one had Bud/Lou and I immediately noticed the higher BB and was harder to turn. I know part of the answer is the weight of the tires but I thought something could be improved about the high BB.

Anyone else feel the same way?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just let the air out the tyres! They will go flat at the bottom, problem solved!

turtles make me hot
    I have Bud and Lou on Clownshoes. My bike steers a little rough on pavement or concrete when the tires are aired down. Feeling returns to normal the second it gets on some proper terrain.
    I like turtles

Your Best Friend
    If your bike can run Bud/Lou and it is primarily a snow and/or sand bike, then you should be running them. Or some other uber wide tire. I really don't see the point of running a skinnier tire on a fat bike, at least for the bulk of us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My point also. But 4in tires are like 29in regular tires and fat frames are built around the same BB drop. With Bud/Lou you go up to 31in tires so the BB is raised 1inch. Most 190mm frames have the same 60mm drop as 170mm frames. Do the bulk of us need the higher BB and standover?

Your Best Friend
    You are assuming high tire pressure without a body on the bike. I would wager that the BB height changes dramatically on a fat bike based on low tire pressures.