mtbr member
    Nov 2006

190 miles in one day on a Pugs

Rode the C&O Canal trail from Cumberland MD to Washington DC in one day this weekend. Probably not the best bike for the job - but it was a lot of fun.

Here are the stats: 190 miles, 13:11 riding time and 17:35 total elapsed time.

190 miles in one day on a Pugs-pugsco.jpg

ride more
    Mar 2007

Re: 190 miles in one day on a Pugs

Nice, the last time I rode that, I was wishing for my pugs...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Yow! Nice, and congrats.

So what're the deets on your ride? Solo & unsupported? Bike setup? Amount of food/water you carried?

I tried this about 8 years ago on a fixie Karate Monkey, but didn't get as far as my buddies. Since then I've said I'll try it again, but the desire is waning the longer I wait. It's just one of those things I wanted to get under my belt, successfully, like the SM100. However, I wouldn't call it "a lot of fun"
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    There we 3 of us - the other 2 guys were on "normal" 26 and 29er mountain bikes and we were unsupported. I just carried some Lara bars a couple of fruit gu packs, and two water bottles - we refilled in a couple of the towns along the way.

My Pugs has a 2X9 drivetrain, Marge Lites, and I ran my Larry 120tpis to keep my Husker DUs from getting too much wear on them. I wish I would've had some Black Floyds though. It was an original 2006 Pugs until my frame cracked a few weeks ago and had to replace it with a 2013 frame - I'm not too happy with all the changes - wish my 2006 could've kept going.

There were lots of Boy Scout groups out on multi day rides on the canal - and they all freaked out when the monster truck bike flew by them

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Excellent, thank you. Now my gears are grinding again...
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    what tire pressure were you running? btw - amazing feat!

mtbr member
    Congratulations
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by edgeworker View Post
    what tire pressure were you running? btw - amazing feat!
    20 psi.

mtbr member
    Inspired nice riding!
    I have a 150 miler race in late August and riding my pugs. What do you wish you had known or did that you didn't do to make it better/easier/faster?
    I don't plan on winning but I am worried about finishing. We have some small towns along the way but they close at 8pm or have limited services in general. I plan on taking 2 full big water bottles, large bag of emergency supplies, and some cash. Did you take a tube or just patches? CO2 and pump or just one or the other? I can't stomach the gels or fuel bars, what would you substitute instead? Granola bars? PB & J? Dried fruit? How often did you eat & drink?

I might be sortof worried Can you tell?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice! Next time, come all the way to Pittsburgh and meet up with us guys on our fatties and do some trail riding in Frick!
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Inspired nice riding!
    I have a 150 miler race in late August and riding my pugs. What do you wish you had known or did that you didn't do to make it better/easier/faster?
    I don't plan on winning but I am worried about finishing. We have some small towns along the way but they close at 8pm or have limited services in general. I plan on taking 2 full big water bottles, large bag of emergency supplies, and some cash. Did you take a tube or just patches? CO2 and pump or just one or the other? I can't stomach the gels or fuel bars, what would you substitute instead? Granola bars? PB & J? Dried fruit? How often did you eat & drink?

I might be sortof worried Can you tell?
    I would have used more packs on my bike so I wouldn't have to use a CamelBak. I didn't use the Camelbak for hydration - but it was still heavy with supplies.

I brought 1 tube, patches, and a pump - no CO2.

I don't like gels and fuel bars either - so I brought Lara bars and fruit pouches. Both of these are all natural and only have a few ingredients. I was eating and drinking about once an hour after the first 50 miles or so. My advice is to always stop for food and drink when you get the chance - towards the end of the day we were very lucky to stop at a place that just happened to stay open late the day of our ride. We skipped a big town a few miles earlier and almost regretted it.

Good luck on your race!