Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    761

    186mm Hub bike from 907

    Saw this on their facebook page. Pretty cool. They said it should be on sale in September.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 186mm Hub bike from 907-186.png  


  2. #2
    Living the thug life.
    Reputation: Logantri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    731
    I also raced it up at Arrowhead this year. Problems with the body, but the bike was perfect all the way to the finish.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

    My blog.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    Why not just do a slight offset (8-10mm) with a 170mm hub? Not as goofy and extreme as the Surly's but would work with all the existing hubs.

  4. #4
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    Why not just do a slight offset (8-10mm) with a 170mm hub? Not as goofy and extreme as the Surly's but would work with all the existing hubs.
    I'll take it one step further--why not do an offset frame with 150mm hub, giving all of us (yes, us) access to dozens more hubs at many different price points.

    I'm over new hub standards--including the 190, 191, and 192mm hubs I've heard about.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yxan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    372
    Mike, do you in your wheel building knowledge think the 135 with 28mm offset is too much? I don't mind offset at all and think the 150 sounds pretty sweet.

    Cheers

  6. #6
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    Mike, do you in your wheel building knowledge think the 135 with 28mm offset is too much? I don't mind offset at all and think the 150 sounds pretty sweet.

    Cheers
    135 w/28mm offset wouldn't have worked before the new Surly singlewall rims. There just wasn't a rim that could do what needed to be done without massive tension imbalances.

    Which is to say that these days, using ML or RD or CS rims, 135/28 works fine for most (read: 98%) people.

    I'd like 150/18 (or so) because you'd have a wider base of support, giving not only balanced spoke tension but increased durability and lateral rigidity. You'd get all of that *and* be able to use lighter spokes. You could also use narrower (summer) rims on most any bike, as well as the widest rims/tires going.

    Win/win/win.

    MC

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: buckfiddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    888
    Yay, another "standard" size with another essentially proprietary hub size!

  8. #8
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    761

    Re: 186mm Hub bike from 907

    I like it.

    --Lars
    --Peace

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    669
    Do you know where the September (2013?) date came from?

    This is a topic I'm really interested in and am trying to track down the latest info. Was that an earlier prediction of september 2012 that's been pushed back, or a new prediction of september 2013? At one point the expected availability date was mid to late winter 2012 but that seems unlikely without more recent confirmation.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,287
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Do you know where the September (2013?) date came from?

    This is a topic I'm really interested in and am trying to track down the latest info. Was that an earlier prediction of september 2012 that's been pushed back, or a new prediction of september 2013? At one point the expected availability date was mid to late winter 2012 but that seems unlikely without more recent confirmation.
    I would call them and ask them what's up:

    Contact FatBikes.com - Anchorage, Alaska / Chain Reaction Cycles 907-336-0383. Toll free: 855-907-BIKE

    Phone
    907-903-9008
    Toll free: 855-907-BIKE (2453)
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,287
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

    I'd like 150/18 (or so) because you'd have a wider base of support, giving not only balanced spoke tension but increased durability and lateral rigidity. You'd get all of that *and* be able to use lighter spokes. You could also use narrower (summer) rims on most any bike, as well as the widest rims/tires going.

    Win/win/win.

    MC
    +1 - It would also be nice to be able to move wheels between frame. Seems like every frame I buy I need a unique set of wheels for.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    359
    Couldn't a 150mm hub with a Salsa Mukluk adaptor basically work - 150mm hub + 35mm adaptor = 185?

  13. #13
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    761

    Re: 186mm Hub bike from 907

    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Do you know where the September (2013?) date came from?

    This is a topic I'm really interested in and am trying to track down the latest info. Was that an earlier prediction of september 2012 that's been pushed back, or a new prediction of september 2013? At one point the expected availability date was mid to late winter 2012 but that seems unlikely without more recent confirmation.
    Again, it was posted on their facebook page.

    --Lars
    --Peace

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    669
    Er, perhaps I should have asked when, when was the September availability mentioned? I scoured their facebook page and couldn't find any mention of an availability date.

    It first appeared on their facebook page in September but without mention of when it would be released. Then yesterday a picture was posted again. Both times availability has been asked about but not answered.

    I'll try contacting them after work today.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Yay, another "standard" size with another essentially proprietary hub size!
    This ^^^. Why not wider BB's while they are at it?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    135 w/28mm offset wouldn't have worked before the new Surly singlewall rims. There just wasn't a rim that could do what needed to be done without massive tension imbalances.

    Which is to say that these days, using ML or RD or CS rims, 135/28 works fine for most (read: 98%) people.

    I'd like 150/18 (or so) because you'd have a wider base of support, giving not only balanced spoke tension but increased durability and lateral rigidity. You'd get all of that *and* be able to use lighter spokes. You could also use narrower (summer) rims on most any bike, as well as the widest rims/tires going.

    Win/win/win.

    MC
    Though I have suggested a 170 offset elsewhere; I agree with Mike C, 150 offset looks better. At
    least until 6" tires, if ever, arrive; and I ponder if they may prove to be too...something.

    And, if i understand chainline right, a 150BB spindle (PW?) with a Middleburn crank and a spider
    to run a granny in the middle position, with a 150/12.5mm offset makes for the lowest possible Q?
    This setup would be restricted to a 1X or a 2X with the outer ring in the third ring position.

    The wider we go, the larger Q required, at some point limits are going to be reached where people
    start to complain, and resist buying. IMO the industry needs to get together and work out what
    standard will best serve the customer. For those who desire something 'different' there is always
    'custom'.

  17. #17
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Er, perhaps I should have asked when, when was the September availability mentioned? I scoured their facebook page and couldn't find any mention of an availability date.

    It first appeared on their facebook page in September but without mention of when it would be released. Then yesterday a picture was posted again. Both times availability has been asked about but not answered.

    I'll try contacting them after work today.
    The first thing on their Facebook page that I see is the picture that I copied at the start of the thread. The second comment under that picture (which was posted yesterday) says: "Should be September" that comment was posted by Chain Reactions Cycles in response to my question " When will these go on sale?"

    I don't really know how it can be any clearer or easier to find.

  18. #18
    Karma Vampire
    Reputation: 29Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    251

    186mm Hub bike from 907

    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    This ^^^. Why not wider BB's while they are at it?
    I realize an offset 150 for chubby bikes would be a new frame "standard" but I checked Universal Bike's website and I saw these 150mm hubs:

    Chris King
    Hope
    Atom Lab
    Nukeproof
    American Classic
    Azonic
    DT Swiss
    e.thirteen
    Hadley
    Halo
    Loaded
    Ringle
    Shimano
    Spank
    (I am sure a few of these are catalog copies of each other)

    That said, I am committed to 170 until my wheels blow up.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    The first thing on their Facebook page that I see is the picture that I copied at the start of the thread. The second comment under that picture (which was posted yesterday) says: "Should be September" that comment was posted by Chain Reactions Cycles in response to my question " When will these go on sale?"

    I don't really know how it can be any clearer or easier to find.
    Those comments arent on 9:zeo:7 facebook page that I'm looking at. Perhaps you're viewing it shared to another location which has a different set of comments.

    Anyway, thanks for the details. Hopefully the chain reaction guy has good info. Please don't assume the worst when someone asks a question.

    Edit: ah, found it. That comment is on the "chain reaction cycles - Alaska" facebook page.
    Last edited by dfiler; 02-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lamard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    176
    zoot suit and a fatbike seems weird to me, must be a temperature thing
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    402
    The big hubs are a comin'! I think anybody who is just out to ride in a real northern climate should be running the big ol' Bud/Lou with hundreds. Not everyone has the legs to spin a 1x either, just seems logical they would run a bit larger hub.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •