mtbr member
    Jan 2015

170x10mm hubs with a thru-axle/bolt?

I just ordered a new Salsa Beargrease X5, but turns out its QR, even though before I ordered and looked at the website, one of the frame features is '177x12 symmetrical rear spacing.' I guess its spaced at 177, but the dropouts only take 10mm QR? Kind of misleading.

I do really want the bike and like everything else, was going to put bluto up front and then an x9 1x10.

Question is does anyone make a skewer/bolt or thru-axle that is an actual 10mm vs using the 5mm QR. Is it even worth worrying about on a rear tire that will be sitting at 6-8psi? I know, you get what you pay for... as far as a $1500 fatbike but I really like the alloy beargrease.

I can get a deal on a carbon x7, but then my upgrade budget is shot and carbon is not important to me with this bike.

Bike will be here and built this week.

mtbr member
    Looks like they exist, but you'll have to swap out the rear hub, which starts pushing the "why bother" button.
    Fat Bike Bolted Axles | Hubs - Axles | Hubs/Cassettes | Products | Halowheels.com

since it's a hardtail, as long as the QR skewer is a good quality one and the wheels is installed in the frame properly, it should be fine. I use a QR on my 29er hardtail and my fatbike rear wheels, and they haven't failed me yet.

Front axle, I'd definitely make sure it's a thru-bolt/thru-axle design though. I have a 135mm QR on my fatbike, and with a steel salsa enable fork, you can really tell there is flex.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

since 4/10/2009
    That's just a regular QR. The axle itself is 10mm (and hollow), and the QR skewer is 5mm. Like watts posted, if you want a bigger bolt, you'll likely have to do a wheelset change. Theoretically, any hub you can get in a fat width with 10mm DT RWS endcaps could take a 170x10mm bolt/skewer, but hubs that offer that option are limited and tend to be expensive ones. Hope, I9, DT Swiss (of course), and just a few others will offer that. It's not clear to me if the bolt-on axles watts posted will work in ANY hub available with 10mm endcaps. Maybe, maybe not, but a wheelset change would be pretty pricey when you're talking about these sorts of hubs.

You may have missed a couple of things on the BG frame specs that differ in some cases between carbon frames and alu frames. Seatpost diameter is another.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Here's a thought:

does anyone make an allen bolted fat rear 170mm skewer? Something like the Control Tech or Halo skewers?

I've found those can make a little difference over a standard QR. Plus, they look slick and sano. Will buy it if I find it!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Beargrease x5 order canceled. Walked out of store with Carbon X7 for 2299 and rode snow covered trails for lunch.... QR concern no longer a concern. Buying Bluto anyway... why. Because 'merica! that's why.

mtbr member
    I have a salsa hub with a 170x10mm thru bolt.

Only one I have seen

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1 View Post
    I have a salsa hub with a 170x10mm thru bolt.

Only one I have seen
    It's a formula hub. I've seen it also.

Novatec makes one also.

Hope makes endcaps for a 10mm thru axle, but no skewer.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    It's a formula hub. I've seen it also.

Novatec makes one also.

Hope makes endcaps for a 10mm thru axle, but no skewer.
    Deja Vu from the threads that I originally searched/read before starting this one... In 6 months, someone will search this topic and find my thread as well as others, read it and wonder if anything has changed... and start a new thread only to find themselves caught in a never ending cycling of non-10mm-thru-axle-ness.

mtbr member
    ^yes, I've reread those a few times myself. I may just have to order a fatback import hubset or novatec rear wheel just to get the rear hub with a 10mm thru axle followed by a sale of the front hub or rim to recoup some small amount of fundage for spokes. Leaning towards the fatback import set to get some color and I figure the front hub will help more to fund spokes. I could keep the front hub, but then I'd need a new fork. I could have 2 wheelsets then I suppose...

Won't somebody just sell a 170mm rear hub with a 10mm thru axle please? I'm not the only one interested...
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ^yes, I've reread those a few times myself. I may just have to order a fatback import hubset or novatec rear wheel just to get the rear hub with a 10mm thru axle followed by a sale of the front hub or rim to recoup some small amount of fundage for spokes. Leaning towards the fatback import set to get some color and I figure the front hub will help more to fund spokes. I could keep the front hub, but then I'd need a new fork. I could have 2 wheelsets then I suppose...

Won't somebody just sell a 170mm rear hub with a 10mm thru axle please? I'm not the only one interested...
    Thankfully, because its an awesome bike, I went with the beargrease c x7, but that was my original plan had I gone with the beargrease x5. But it would have been a pain depending on the hub if it would have taken the 10 mil thru-skewer or did it have pure qr endcaps and not convertable for a 10mm skewer. Then Im rebuilding wheels with new hubs or trying to perform surgery on the hubs came with. And ultimately, I would have just left it QR... until I had a real reason to build a new wheelset (carbon or something like a plus wheel for summer or for a 15mm hub for a bluto).

Now that I YOLO'd on the carbon beargrease, Im happier with the build spec anyway and have th 12/15mm f/r TAs as a consolation.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    This is what I meant for the QR thing.

Hex Key Skewers | Hubs - Skewers | Hubs/Cassettes | Products | Halowheels.com

Though I'd happily convert my Hope Fatsno 170mm to a bolt to.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper