mtbr member

16 Cannondale Fat CAD issue?

A buddy and myself were out riding today , and he on his brand new 16 Fat CAD first time out on trail had to walk it out of the woods because of rear axle appeared to have pulled out of frame. Has anyone else experienced this type of failure or is it due to poor setup of bike from LBS? Note: earlier on he had shifting issues in the two largest cogs due to what appeared to be a short chain, this happened on a steep climb.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16 Cannondale Fat CAD issue?-fullsizer_1_1488667902104-copy.jpg  

16 Cannondale Fat CAD issue?-fullsizer_2_1488667902294.jpg  

16 Cannondale Fat CAD issue?-fullsizer_1488667902380.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like it came loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

mtbr member
    ouch!
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

Rocking on a Rocky
    Nice rear wheel steering bicycle.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Damn, looks like half of the fork fell off too

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    QR not tightened?

Thingamejigger
    Pics of the drive side rear? I had both axles of my bike (not a 'dale) come loose after 10 - 15 miles of riding for the first time as the hubs/bearings beaded in....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Beat me to it

mtbr member
    Wish he took that pic.
    He returned it back to the LBS, I'm pretty sure was a setup issue. Which they don't seem to want to admit. Will keep you posted.

All fat, all the time.
    If you are going to ride bikes in the woods, probably a good thing to check QR s etc before each ride. Loose vs broken are two different things. Which was it?

mtbr member
    pulled the threads out of the frame.
    The chain was too short not letting the derailleur shift to largest cog, easily noticed this half way through our ride. This happened on a steep climb and I think he downshifted and wammo.
    Last edited by Blaster182; 03-06-2017 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Ouch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    http://ficdn.mtbr.com/images/smilies/lol.gif
    I almost fell of my seat, love it!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Had mine loosen up too. Was having odd shifting issues rather suddenly one night, got back to the shop, and what do you know...

Mine was snug from the start too, guess I'll be shopping for a different (and lighter) TA for that now, based on it seemingly not being a one off thing.

Go figure, major corporation with a half dozen brands in their pocket, had their eyes on profits first, and skimped on OEM parts quality, whodathunk......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    The chain was too short not letting the derailleur shift to largest cog, easily noticed this half way through our ride. This happened on a steep climb and I think he downshifted and wammo.
    Gotcha. Well that stinks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have three friends that have been using this same bike for two years now and These are strong MTB riders with decades of experience. They never had a Problem with their bikes.

I would like to see a pic of the drivetrain that shows the length of the chain. Best to show it shifted on the big cog. Its easy to blame it on the chain and say "chain was too short" (although I do believe you) but I have yet to hear of threads pulled out of the frame. Would like to see pics of that too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    I have three friends that have been using this same bike for two years now and These are strong MTB riders with decades of experience. They never had a Problem with their bikes.

I would like to see a pic of the drivetrain that shows the length of the chain. Best to show it shifted on the big cog. Its easy to blame it on the chain and say "chain was too short" (although I do believe you) but I have yet to hear of threads pulled out of the frame. Would like to see pics of that too...
    Unfortunately he did not take a pic of the drive side, The LBS has it now, with the chain on the second largest cog. the derailleur cage was tight with zero travel left, it would try but keep skipping and would not shift to the largest cog, well until the the failure.

Music & Bikes
    Trying to find that "Death of Quick release" thread ......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Unfortunately he did not take a pic of the drive side, The LBS has it now, with the chain on the second largest cog. the derailleur cage was tight with zero travel left, it would try but keep skipping and would not shift to the largest cog, well until the the failure.
    In that regard, indeed it is the LBS fault. The bike arrives with the chain uncut and the mechanic does the measurement and the cutting.

I personally like to Keep my MTB chains one link longer than recommended. It gives me the Option of using a larger chainring or a larger big cog.

Sorry to hear about your friend's bike. Please update us...

mtbr member
    So, The LBS which is part of a chain brought in their Cannondale expert who went over the bike, and found the rear axel thru bolt is too short and does not come in contact with most of the threads

mtbr member
    WOW! Are they covering it? Have heard and seen horror stories about the c-dale warranty dept.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7

mtbr member
    Hope so,
    He has been in touch with regional Cdale rep by phone. First ride on new bike, I feel they owe him a new bike I wouldn't want it after dropping all that cash.

SO, the shop cut the chain too short, AND, required "an expert" to see that the TA was too short (an odd thing in and of itself)?

Sounds like a shop that needs to get some actually competent mechanics, or, simply close their doors....

Hope your buddy gets his bike sorted!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

All fat, all the time.
    Regardless of chain length at this point, if the TA was too short from the factory, they need to be replacing the frame and cover labor for the shop.
    Lucky that could have been a lot worse crash because of the rear ta.

mtbr member
    so a wrong axle was used by LBS. or it was sent with a wrong axle. or all of them come with that same wrong axle?
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

Mine seems fine.

I don't sell the brand of bikes, so I can only answer from the brands I do sell, all of which come with chain installed, and cut to length.

I can't honestly recall how mine came, but no matter, someone above mentioned that they come without the chain installed, thus, full length.

Yes, I always trim to proper length if installing a new chain, and err on the side of too long by a link if it's *close*...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

They always were, agreed.

paxfobiscum said this though, but I don't know their situation, Cannondale dealer, etc...

"In that regard, indeed it is the LBS fault. The bike arrives with the chain uncut and the mechanic does the measurement and the cutting."

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I just recently bought an MTB (model and other details to be unnamed) and the chain was not attached. It was inside a plastic wrapper. I did not use it but I will check it tonight if it has been "pre-cut" to the proper length.

Since we have already determined that the chain was too short, it was either the LBS or Cannondale that cut it at some point. If the LBS denies ever cutting it before Installation, then Cannondale is the culprit. Whatever the case may be, one of those is liable for the mistake.

But the bike mechanic should have immediately spotted the chain was too short when he adjusted and tuned the rear derailleur. That's Kind of a no-brainer. Frankly, he should have also noticed that the thru axle was too short.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    ... and I cannot figure out why some of my words come out with capitalized first letters as I type them. I am perplexed.

Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    But the bike mechanic should have immediately spotted the chain was too short when he adjusted and tuned the rear derailleur. That's Kind of a no-brainer. Frankly, he should have also noticed that the thru axle was too short.
    All of which leads back to yeah, that shop isn't giving me much confidence. You need to call an "expert" to see a TA isn't up to snuff?

Job security for me!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've never seen a Cannondale arrive in the box without the chain already cut/installed, nor have I ever needed to adjust the chain length on any boxed bike that's come through.

We have a few FatCAADs on the floor (not this same model) and they are all well sorted. This sounds like a bad shop issue.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    so a wrong axle was used by LBS. or it was sent with a wrong axle. or all of them come with that same wrong axle?
    Not Sure, Still waiting for the replacement.

mtbr member
    From what I can gather it is the stock axle.

mtbr member
    Ok, figured I would wrap up this post. The rear axel was replaced, the original was too short, replaced the rear rotor, and chain cleaned up the threads in frame with tap, and touched up the frame marring with paint. Now mmy riding buddy has a usable bike, not really happy with LBS and Cannondale warranty dept. Dropped a lot of cash on new bike, and with nothing done wrong on his part now has a scared up bike. But real happy with rideing it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for the update. Pretty sad result, I would have been p#ssed if that happened to my new bike. I have only recently returned to MTBing, but recall back in the day Cannondale was seen as a quality brand. Seems they still charge a premium but quality / service is in decline

mtbr member
    wow, sad result. if the the thread are pulled out how it was cleaned and retapped?

after reading this thread. i dont think ill be buying a cannondale anytime soon. ill tell my friends too.
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok, figured I would wrap up this post. The rear axel was replaced, the original was too short, replaced the rear rotor, and chain cleaned up the threads in frame with tap, and touched up the frame marring with paint. Now mmy riding buddy has a usable bike, not really happy with LBS and Cannondale warranty dept. Dropped a lot of cash on new bike, and with nothing done wrong on his part now has a scared up bike. But real happy with rideing it!
    Hopefully the new axle has enough threads left to engage after the too short axle destroyed several. If not it may just happen again.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    wow, sad result. if the the thread are pulled out how it was cleaned and retapped?

after reading this thread. i dont think ill be buying a cannondale anytime soon. ill tell my friends too.
    The original axle was only holding on the first 2 threads, rest seem ok, If it were my bike it would have gone through the front window of the bike shop! Next time I hear of something like this from a friend I know now to twist the frame beyond repair before you take it back, kind of a crappy way to think but, fair is fair.