Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

150 mile Gravel Worlds 2013 on the fatty! RR!

Hey all!
    I did it! I finished on the pugs necro. BFLs on RDs. Frame bags to carry supplies by Revelate Designs.
    First, the cliffs of stats:

Temp: 74-95(my Garmin read a high of 105.4)
    Wind: 27-36 from the South
    Distance: 150.4 miles
    Time: 17:06:55 elapsed time(3 hours of that was stopped time to eat)
    Elevation gain: 8868 ft
    Calories burned: 6176

150 mile Gravel Worlds 2013 on the fatty! RR!-image.jpg

Amazingly, I wasn't the only crazy girl out there on a fatty! I met a girl named Tracey who eventually won our category with a blazing fast finish time in the 12 hour range! Even if I hadn't taken my own sweet time at each check in point & oasis stop, she still would have kicked my rear! She had a super sweet Ti bike with CF fork and drilled rims running veerubber semi slicks(similar to black floyds). It was a pleasure keeping such great company and she is an asset to the sport of fatbikes!
    9 fat bikers started(M&F), only 3 finished.

The start was a warm summer morning, 75 degrees with dry conditions. Winds from the south were at 12-15 mph but would be increasing as the day went on, with gusts to 36mph. Hot temps forecasted, 94 degrees ended up being our official high but my Garmin 810 recorded a 105.4 temp mid afternoon on the 25 mile roller section. I'd believe it! Was super hot out in that blazing sun in the open! At one point, I was given a Budweiser that was the best tasting beer I have ever had in my life(yeah...it was that bad out there!)

Out of 200 riders, more than 80 dropped out as the day wore on. The heat and wind took it's toll on the gravel riders. Fortunately, even though this was a "self supported" event, the check in points were well planned out for supplies and a/c, and in between kind volunteers were there with pickup trucks full of water, ice, and beer! I have never been so happy to see random strangers! Without those volunteers, these events truely are not possible!

All in all, was a good time. I met some awesome fellow bikers and did what I set out to do.
    #1: finish.
    #2: not walk any of it or spin out on hills. I RODE ALL 150.4 MILES!
    #3: enjoy the ride for what it was(cushy and fat) and not for what it wasn't(fast and light).

All the "what ifs" that I packed for never happened(yay!) and the only thing that surprised me that I wasn't prepared for was all the dust in the air that made my eyes hurt(I wore my Oakley Flak Jackets XLJ polarized dark lenses daytime and clear lenses at night/dawn/dusk). I needed eye drops or goggles! That grit hurts!!!!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

150 mile Gravel Worlds 2013 on the fatty! RR!

Good job. Huge accomplishment!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am beyond impressed! Nice job!!!!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That is fantastic, congrats!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Crazy incredible cool!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Great job - that is awesome! Those gravel roads are killer.

Moderator Moderator
    Congratulations, a great job in tough conditions! When I read about the gusty winds from the south, I thought I hope the route is northnound, but I see that was not the case - way to tough it out.

Sunglasses with foam eyecups are great for dust and cold air, I have some Panoptx, but have seen other brands as well, some moto people use them. They are comfy but keep more stuff out than regular sunglasses.

Harmonius Wrench
    First of all, congratulations! I've attempted that twice on a single speed, and although each time I made it over 100 miles, I got cooked. That is a tough day in the saddle, so I hand it to ya, that is a big accomplishment.

The lady fatbiker you speak of is Tracy Andre, wife of Lance Andre who has done the Iditarod, (you may know his story). She and Lance are great folks. Very nice people. They are the folks who promote and organize the Triple D race in January for fat bikes, skiers, and runners.

Anyway, thanks for the report and I am stoked for you and that you enjoyed the PCL Gravel Worlds.

mtbr member
    Just read a gravel worlds article on velominatus and thought this would be awesome on a fattie! Great job. I just started riding again and went fat. My primary riding routes are gravel so I may be looking to do this one next year!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Hey all!
    I did it! I finished on the pugs necro. BFLs on RDs.
    Congrats!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    excellent work NBT! Congrats to you- that is a great accomplishment!

=========
    bueno !
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Awesome!!! You did it!!! So excited and proud of you! So, any changes for next year? Different bike, tires, etc?

Yeah, the dust gets to me out here especially when the huge pickup trucks go by and haven't figured out a solution for my eyes. 150 miles of dust would add up.

Does Tracy live in the area? If so, we girls need to head out on a trip with our fatties.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Way to go! 150 miles in a day is huge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice job and way to stay focused. The elements (heat/wind) were WAY harder than the course itself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So...are we to understand that on a cool day you would have passed on the Bud for some other...?

Congrats are in order for a well done job!

How were you the day after...any soreness?
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Very impressive accomplishment. Nice job!
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments everybody!

Traci is from IA, so close but not quite "local-local" but rides aren't out of the ?, Bethany. She would kick our rears though Riding with faster people is always good for making a person effort beyond their comfort zone though. Super nice lady!

Budweiser....yeah, not my cup of tea, I am more of a dark beer person myself. But on the crest of that hill,it was delish!

Glasses...already working on that for the future. Looking at Oakley Dust Jackets and Racing Jackets. Not sure if I want full google type things like I used with BMX racing or glasses that just fit closer.

No soreness other than a blood blister on my right pinky toe from where my Chucks rubbed my toe ontop at the rubber/canvas seam. Why the right and left is fine? No idea. I felt it happening at about mile 110 but honestly, the wind was sucking the life outta my speed and I wasn't gonna stop for nothing. When I did stop at Milford(mile 114.4), I was so hungry and ready for a rest that my toe was the last thing on my mind. A few miles after Milford, I remembered my toe but once again, I rarely stop for anything once the wheels get going. So I just kept pedaling. Not super bad blister but yeah, it reminds me I rode 150 miles. But no, no issues with soreness otherwise. I think that fact in itself lets me know I made the right choice for my ride vs the other bikes I have.

There was never any doubt I would finish, question was how hard I wanted to ride the 150 and how much I wanted to hurt later/chance bonking/dehydration/cramping during. I played it safe and finished. Thankful for sure!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

This BUD is for you

Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Wow, who would have thought that stupid accidents and cheap crappy beer were related.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did not think I needed to start my my own thread, so I will quietly post my Gravel Worlds recap here for your reading/viewing pleasure.

2013 Gravel Worlds Race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    I did not think I needed to start my my own thread, so I will quietly post my Gravel Worlds recap here for your reading/viewing pleasure.

2013 Gravel Worlds Race
    Really impressive and great race summary. Very nice job
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Congrats on the finish. The headwinds at the finish must have been brutal on fatbike

PRETENDURO
    Awesome work finishing!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast