mtbr member
    Mar 2011

135mm Salsa hub flexing..

A good patron of our store bought a 9Zero7 from us with a Salsa Enabler front fork and a Salsa front hub. The bike was set up with Avid BB7's 160mm G2 rotors front and rear. I happened to have a 203mm G2 rotor and caliper bracket laying around and swapped it for his 160mm stuff...

So here's the problem while tilting the bike to the right (turning left) the hub or fork is flexing enough to make the rotor chatter pretty bad. I adjusted the caliper so the rotor is closest to the inboard pad and it still chatters like hell while hitting the outside pad. Has anyone else experienced the Salsa hubs or fork flexing like this? or have any suggestions to fix it.. I do have a 185mm rotor that we'll be swapping to see if it makes a difference.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighX View Post
    A good patron of our store bought a 9Zero7 from us with a Salsa Enabler front fork and a Salsa front hub. The bike was set up with Avid BB7's 160mm G2 rotors front and rear. I happened to have a 203mm G2 rotor and caliper bracket laying around and swapped it for his 160mm stuff...

So here's the problem while tilting the bike to the right (turning left) the hub or fork is flexing enough to make the rotor chatter pretty bad. I adjusted the caliper so the rotor is closest to the inboard pad and it still chatters like hell while hitting the outside pad. Has anyone else experienced the Salsa hubs or fork flexing like this?

I have gotten some odd things to happen under hard braking with an Enabler fork/Salsa hub combo, but never just riding around. The issue was, (for me), the QR. An internal cam QR like a Shimano will help heaps here.

I run a BB-7 with a 180mm rotor, by the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm running a 200whatever rotor on the front of my mukluk 1. I had to clean up the paint on the disc mount tabs to get acceptable braking/ not too much rub. It still will squeak from time to time. I think the 203 is probably overkill (running bb7s) but I had an extra one laying around and I am apparently unable to leave things well enough alone. I just used a dremel and some sandpaper, but using an actual disc brake facing tool would probably make it workable. Note that this is with a Surly front hub, don't know if there is a lot more flex in the salsa hub. Also possible that the mukluk paint is thicker than the aftermarket black enabler. Anywhoo, that's all I've got for ya...

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I have gotten some odd things to happen under hard braking with an Enabler fork/Salsa hub combo, but never just riding around. The issue was, (for me), the QR. An internal cam QR like a Shimano will help heaps here.

I run a BB-7 with a 180mm rotor, by the way.
    I've had similar experience, and even spoke about it in my review of the Mukluk 3 I posted on my blog yesterday.