CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

'13 Surly Necromancer vs. '14 Norco Bigfoot.

I'm gong to ride a barely used '13 Necromancer tomorrow and my LBS can get Norco Bigfoots. I'd like to get one or the other and try my hand at fat biking. I love hiking in the winter and really look forward to trying a fat bike on the snow.

This will be my first fat bike and I don't know much about them. What key differences between the two should I focus my decision on? I'm still a bit confused about all the choices in rear spacing, hub size, offset, etc.

I have a slight preference for the standard shifters and the lower stand over on the Norco. Those are the obvious differences to me. I've started reading the forum stickies but am still not clear how all the info I'm digesting applies to these two bikes.

Necromancer is $1000 with pedals and the Bigfoot is $1400 or so.

mtbr member
    If you can ride them, focus on which one rides better for you.

Shifters, saddles, pedals are all easily replaceable, but frame geometry really means something. The Pugs/Necro is a great bike. It's well sorted after many years of development. It's weird, it's very frankenbike-ish which means there are compromises to ease of use to make it easier to use for more things- the rear dropouts are a PITA at first, and at second and after 2 years, but if you want to run an IGH they're a godsend. The off-center build looks wonky as hell but it works great. It's heavy, but then again you're riding a bike where a single tire weighs more than some road framesets.

And none of that matters a bit if the thing just doesn't fit you or you think it looks stupid.

Get the one that rides best and that, for lack of a better phrase, stirs your soul.

I've got a pugsley. one of the ultrageneric white and black ones. When I'm riding it, I love it. When I see it, I think it looks like **** and I hate it. A simple trip to the powdercoater may be in order, but I dislike the look of the frame and that stupid white paint that I'm tempted to get an entirely new frame. Just saying, "stirs your soul" can be more important than it's given credit.

Re: '13 Surly Necromancer vs. '14 Norco Bigfoot.

Will you LBS be getting the bigfoots as well, or would you have to order without riding?

One thing I would say about your test ride tomorrow - tell the bike shop you want the tires at least as low as 7psi. Bike shops are terrible at over-inflating fat bike tires.

I enjoy my Surly. Definitely ride both though if you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I LOVE my 2013 NecroPug but as others are stating...find the best one for you so you're out riding and enjoying it instead of wishing you had whatever you passed up.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Good advice on the tire pressure.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Will you LBS be getting the bigfoots as well, or would you have to order without riding?

One thing I would say about your test ride tomorrow - tell the bike shop you want the tires at least as low as 7psi. Bike shops are terrible at over-inflating fat bike tires.
    Assuming they'll let you try it on dirt. If you're just going to ride it around the parking lot, there will be a lot of self-steer (and feel really funky) if the pressures are that low on pavement.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    Necromancer is $1000 with pedals
    That's a great price if the bike fits and it barely used.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I can ride the Surly on dirt and we got a couple of inches of snow last night.

The shop does not have a Bigfoot in stock right now. Good chance the Surly will sell before they get one in.

I'll try to post back after the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you like the Necro after the test ride I'd go with that. That price is an excellent value.
    Off road you definitely want the tire pressure under 10 psi. It makes a world of difference in handling. On road the tires make a big difference. With Endomorphs my Pugs always had horrible self steer no matter the pressure, though low pressure made it worse. Now with a Nate on the front I dont notice the self steering even running at 7psi.

Craig

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I can ride the Surly on dirt and we got a couple of inches of snow last night.

I'll try to post back after the ride.
    Well the ride didn't happen the next day as planned as I found myself dealing with a case of bronchitis. Finally feeling better so I took my FS 29er out for a short ride yesterday. More snow on the trail than expected so I ran into town and borrowed the Surly and took it out today.

There was a lot of snow melt from yesterday morning to this morning but I definitely covered what snow was left faster and with less effort than yesterday.

The areas of trail with snow were packed down and pretty much looked like this:

'13 Surly Necromancer vs. '14 Norco Bigfoot.-img_20131109_094004_468.jpg

Really enjoyed the ride. The bars felt a bit low despite there being quite a few shim stacks under the stem. I might have also been thrown off by how much narrower they are than my trail bike.

Pressure was slightly bouncy but not bad enough to stop and make adjustments. Hit a few hard, frozen areas and the front wheel did seem to develop a mind of its own and go into auto-steer mode.

All in all a great ride. The shop still hasn't gotten their Bigfoot in. If we get a bunch of snow before it does I'll probably just go ahead and buy the Surly.

Here are a couple more pictures:

'13 Surly Necromancer vs. '14 Norco Bigfoot.-img_20131109_095527_299.jpg

'13 Surly Necromancer vs. '14 Norco Bigfoot.-img_20131109_093745_286.jpg