mtbr member
    Apr 2006

'13 Mukluk 2 vs Necro Pugs

The Muk 2 is $2,450. The Necro is $1800.

Is there a compelling reason that I am missing to go to the Muk?

I will use it largely for rocky singletrack. I've owned a Pugs, and the Necro is kind of the Pug I wanted if I would do a Pug all over again.

So the Muk is aluminum, and already has drilled rims. Unsure if the hubs are better or not. I'd be fine with the crankset on either.

I like the Muk's Nate on both ends. Don't feel like searching the non-existent tire market right now to replace the Larry on the front of the Necro.

Is the geometry vastly different? I want an XC style riding position. Nothing heinously upright. The Pugsley was fine, though.

EDIT: Wait, are the Necro's shipping with Holy Rolling Darryls now?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The new necros have drilled rims and a nate out back. By all means go Surly. The price difference isn't worth it IMHO.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Delivery time....

mtbr member
    I am a 2012 Muk2 owner and I am scratching my head at the price of the new Muk2. I think a better comparison for you is the Necro and the Muk 3. Ride them both and that will be your best comparison... not price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The Muk 2 has the 120tpi Nates vs the 27tpi on the Necro. The cost savings between the two bikes would more than cover the cost of this upgrade. The Muks now have a headset that can accomodate tapered steer tubes and alternator dropouts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    I am a 2012 Muk2 owner and I am scratching my head at the price of the new Muk2. I think a better comparison for you is the Necro and the Muk 3. Ride them both and that will be your best comparison... not price.
    The Muk 2 is not worth it for what I am getting for that price. It's more a question of if the Muk 2 is worth the $650 over the Necro.

I'm talking to a shop that has Muk 3's in stock, Necro's arriving in a few weeks, my concern is that the Muk 2's will be sold before I can get up there in a few weeks. I know I'll be happy with the ride of the Necro, the question is if I will like the ride of the Mukluk.
    Last edited by XJaredX; 01-11-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    The ride of a Muk is definately different, more upright like a hybrid in comparison to the MTB feel of a Pugs. Yes, you can stick different bars and stems on one and make it more like the other. But stock, they are a very different animal.
    It is hard to choose when you probably can't catch a ride of both prior to purchase.

I have a Necro 2012(undrilled RDs with endo/Larry combo). Never once regretted my choice. I don't think many fatty owners really do. Of course, you know that, you had a pugs before! Maybe you wanna try something new & go Muk this time then?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I rode them all before I made my purchase, money was not a factor, I wanted the bike that felt best. The bike I kept coming back to was the Muk 2. I ride the hell outta this bike, I LOVE it. For my anatomy and riding style there is no better fat bike.
    You'll forget about the money you pay for the bike, you wont forget about buying a bike you are not happy with. Bikes are about fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had absolutely zero compaints about the Pugs I had, aside from it was an 18" and I shoulda been on a 20". I loved it's handling, so I think that I think I'll just jump on the Necro. I miss my Pugs, never shoulda sold it lol
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    You'll forget about the money you pay for the bike, you wont forget about buying a bike you are not happy with. Bikes are about fun.
    Nail. Head. I have used this philosophy on all the bikes I have purchased... it has served me well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Deposit placed on Necro. Very excited. It will good to be fat again.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I had absolutely zero compaints about the Pugs I had, aside from it was an 18" and I shoulda been on a 20". I loved it's handling, so I think that I think I'll just jump on the Necro. I miss my Pugs, never shoulda sold it lol
    Ah, well then that nails it. Glad you put your mind at ease and pulled the trigger. The wait begins! Longest 8 days of my life I swear was waiting for mine to arrive & assemble! And that was a July purchase!

mtbr member
    nevermind....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Same rig as Nakedbabytoes and couldn't be happier. It literally replaced every other bike in the quiver. Very versatile and pretty damn good from trail to sand and snow. Best bike I ever owned hands down! Good luck with it.

mtbr member
    I had an opportunity to demo and chose between a 2013 Muk 2 and a 2013 Necro. Money wasn't really an issue. I ended buying the Necro Pugsley.

What it came down to for me what the noticeable difference in feel between the two bikes coming off of a drop (I mostly had curbs and small rocks to try.) The Muk had a noticeably more "buzzy" feel to the frame. The Pugsley had that nice steel compliance coming off of obstacles. Those who say there is no difference in material feel between steel and aluminum because of the tires are simply wrong, imo.

I also preferred the more traditional MTB like geo of the Pugsley over the Mukluk, but I believe I could readily adapt to either geometry. I also feel a little biased in this respect, since the Pugsley feels so much like a big-brother of my #1 ride, the Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^ that's good to hear! I loved my last Pug's willingness to romp off small drops and stuff, I would have been bummed if I bought a Muk and had less of that feeling.

For as much as I'd like to say this will be a snow bike, the last Pug I had was ridden far more on summer single track, and even though I have my Bandit 29 for that, the Pug will be my year round hardtail mtb first, snow bike second.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    The Muk 3 is not worth it for what I am getting for that price. It's more a question of if the Muk 3 is worth the $650 over the Necro.

I'm talking to a shop that has Muk 3's in stock, Necro's arriving in a few weeks, my concern is that the Muk 3's will be sold before I can get up there in a few weeks. I know I'll be happy with the ride of the Necro, the question is if I will like the ride of the Mukluk.
    Muk 3 is $1.750, so $50 less than Necro. Unless you meant Muk2 as in your original post?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yes, sorry, meant Muk2.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

get down!
    black is beautiful
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE