Anchorage, AK

100mm Sarma Carbon Rim

I have one on the way. Not a huge weight savings over a clown show but 1/2 a pound is nice and it would likely be a lot lighter than a clown shoe if set up tubeless since it will not require as much tape/foam/etc...

Sarma’s Naran 100mm Wide Carbon Fat Bike Rims Shipping Now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100mm Sarma Carbon Rim-wheel_100_1-600x600.jpg  

Last edited by Lars_D; 08-06-2014 at 03:31 AM.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks, interested to hear how they work out.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Just one? Where are you using it? Front or Rear? Or are you just trying one and planning to get a second if it's any good? PLEASE do let us know how long it takes to touch it from the time you ordered it, how it looks, how it sets up tubeless, what tire you put on it, and general impression.

Anchorage, AK
    It is for back country snow riding. I have been able to get away with a somewhat narrower front rim in most conditions, but have found that for soft snow, a 100mm is essential for the rear. So, I will be using HED Big Deal in front and this in the rear.
    --Peace

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    It is for back country snow riding. I have been able to get away with a somewhat narrower front rim in most conditions, but have found that for soft snow, a 100mm is essential for the rear. So, I will be using HED Big Deal in front and this in the rear.
    I agree that there is a noticeable difference between a 100mm and an 80mm rim in soft trails that aren't groomed. Not just in traction, but the big tires roll more on the 80mm which is a negative thing.

Anchorage, AK
    The rim arrived a few days ago. It is high quality and feels very solid. The bead channel is pretty deep and it looks like it will be great for tubeless set up. I have ordered some spokes. Once I have it built and tested, I'll report back--should be about 2 weeks from now. The weight is 787 grams, so about 37 grams heavier than advertised, but still lighter than a Clown-shoe rim and possibly a lot lighter depending on how the tubeless setup goes. The Sarma folks have been a pleasure to deal with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100mm Sarma Carbon Rim-20140813_201305.jpg  

--Peace

Anchorage, AK
    nice Lars!
    two wheel livin'..

Anchorage, AK
    Laced and almost ready to go. I have a 65-training ride tomorrow after which I'll probably take off my clown shoe and put this one on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100mm Sarma Carbon Rim-img00589.jpg  

--Peace

Anchorage, AK
    I put on an XL Snowshoe tire, aired it up, added a little bit of sealant (two ounces), and took it for a ride. It seems to work fine, but didn't hold air over night, so I took it apart, re-taped it and this time put in about 6 ounces of sealant--it seems to be fully air-tight now.

The bead is very tight, but manageable--although, I am not sure I could take it off to mount a tube if there was a problem in a cold weather race or expedition situation. The rim may be better suited to Surly tires which I think are a bit looser. I'll probably try one of those next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100mm Sarma Carbon Rim-img00591.jpg  

Last edited by Lars_D; 08-25-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice, thanks. Let us know how they do at lo psi when you get a chance.
    Last edited by Johanneson; 08-24-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Anchorage, AK

Re: 100mm Sarma Carbon Rim

I went for a ride this morning. The tire started to lose air almost immediately. So, off it came and on went my trusty Husker Du tire and a light-weight Schwalbe SV 13 inner tube.

I couldn't find the source of the leak. The rim, tire, tape, and valve stem were all in good shape with no leaked sealant visible anywhere. If I had to guess what the problem was, I'd say it was the American Classic valve stem I was using. That valve stem has an o-ring that is supposed to seal the inside of the rim. The problem may have been that there is a slight upward curve to the rim channel and the o-ring didn't make good contact because of that curve. But I am just guessing.

In any case, I doubt I will try tubeless again on this rim. Given how hard it is to mount and dismount tires, it is just not worth the trouble.
    --Peace

This place needs an enema
    I put on an XL Snowshoe tire, aired it up, added a little bit of sealant (two ounces), and took it for a ride. It seems to work fine, but didn't hold air over night, so I took it apart, re-taped it and this time put in about 6 ounces of sealant--it seems to be fully air-tight now.

The bead is very tight, but manageable--although, I am not sure I could take it off to mount a tube if there was a problem in a cold weather race or expedition situation. The rim may be better suited to Surly tires which I think are a bit looser. I'll probably try one of those next week.
    That tire will stretch/loosen with some use.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    That tire will stretch/loosen with some use.
    Thanks, Mike. Good to know.
    --Peace

Anchorage, AK
    One other observation: the spoke holes are very widely offset, almost two inches. Plus they are on separate sides of the center channel. The upshot is that it takes two strips of gorilla tape to cover all the spoke holes. Gorilla tape weighs about 40 grams per strip, so the effective wight of the rim compared to rims in which you can get away with a single strip of tape is an additional 40 grams.
    --Peace

Laramie, Wyoming
    ...In any case, I doubt I will try tubeless again on this rim. Given how hard it is to mount and dismount tires, it is just not worth the trouble.
    That makes for an expensive clownshoe.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    That makes for an expensive clownshoe.
    There is a little weight savings, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten a Nextie 90mm.
    --Peace