Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

100mm Clown Shoe rims with Bud Lou tires - which tubes?

This is a very specific question about using 100 mm Clown Shoe rims with Bud/Lou 4.8" tires in snow - looking for peeps that have been using:

2.4-2.7 superlight tubes with this setup - do they work perfectly, or did you try those and end up using Surley 3.0-4.8 tubes for some reason?

I'm a lightweight rider who typically uses maybe 5 psi (pump doesn't register below 10 psi).

thanks!

Nuts
    Not a specific answer but I used a Bontrager 26x2.5-2.8 in Bud on a 90. The Bud on a 90 is only about 3-4mm smaller than on a 100mm rim and I like the Bonty tubes a lot better. Just my personal preference not attacking the q tubes so please no one get upset. (new sig)
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I've used the Q-tubes super lights on Clown shoe with Bud...no issues.
    Good to know Bonty makes that size as well, as I can pop into the Trek store to snap a few up. I've only been able to get the QT SL online.

NMBP
    I was using Q Tubes in my BFL's with zero problems. I installed Bud n Lou and had 2 rides with no problems. My bike was in the back of my very hot (100 outside) enclosed truck shell and the tube in Lou blew out. I replaced it with a Surly tube, but I will probably put a Q Tube back in it. I will also put the Surly tubes back in in the summer.

Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

While heavy, the surly toobs are nice and thick. I would be scared using Q-tubes or any other non 4"+ tube in a 5" tire if you are actually going to be riding hard or anywhere there are sticks or brush. I still got a few flats with my thick surly toobs... so, now tubeless = win.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My buddy uses q-tubes and to my untrained eye it looks that at low pressure they do not fully fill out the tire. I'm sticking with Surly tubes on my bud-lou-clownshoe bike when it shows up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Just my personal preference not attacking the q tubes so please no one get upset. (new sig)
    Hello, I am q-tube. Tell me why you do like me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

tubeless Bud/Lou on Clown Shoe rims?

how exactly have you done the tubeless set up with Bud/Lou on Clown Shoe rims? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    While heavy, the surly toobs are nice and thick. I would be scared using Q-tubes or any other non 4"+ tube in a 5" tire if you are actually going to be riding hard or anywhere there are sticks or brush. I still got a few flats with my thick surly toobs... so, now tubeless = win.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    so, now tubeless = win.
    +1. Try to do this unless you have stock in inner tubes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    how exactly have you done the tubeless set up with Bud/Lou on Clown Shoe rims? thanks!
    Gorilla tape method + Stan's valve and sealant. Done.

I have been riding this setup for a few months now and have had thorns in them that when I pull them out and spin the wheel they are sealed within seconds.

I am also running them at about 5-6 psi and ride some pretty rocky/chunky stuff that I know and feel that if I had a tube in I would be fixing a pinch flat for sure. The suppleness of the tubeless Bud/CS is worth the trouble. Do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

stan's

so.. details -

-Do you remove the translucent tape that comes from Surley that covers the holes or cover over?

-How much Gorilla duct tape - cover the entire inside?

-Do you need to build up several layers of Gorilla or just a single layer?

-How much Stans are you using - 4 or 5 scoops?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raul34 View Post
    Gorilla tape method + Stan's valve and sealant. Done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I used 3 strips- one on each side tight to the rim edge, and 1 down the middle after. I used about 6 oz.

I used camo duct tape for my rim strip, but you can cover the Surly strip or find a color of your choice.

Search the forum and you'll find some great step by step methods...I got help from a buddy, but it is essentially the same as you'll find on here.

mtbr member
    I've been running Speicalized 26x2.4-3.0 tubes in my Clownshoes with BFLs and Bud/Lou for past 2 years with no issues. Went with these tubes b/c that is what my LBS had on the shelf, they're probably heaver than Q-tubes but lighter than the Surly tubes.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Bike is the New Black

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks - are you running these tubeless in the snow? stan's usually doesn't work well in cold temps.

Nuts
    thanks - are you running these tubeless in the snow? stan's usually doesn't work well in cold temps.
    Stans says good -30
    And I love beer!!

so.. details -
    You'll have to look around in the forum and search like everyone else, lots of tubeless threads or notes... almost daily now

There is no "one" perfect way to do it and it isn't super easy for a novice. I would highly suggest not doing it if you don't have an air compressor, haven't done a ghetto tubeless setup before, or have low patience. Or keep a punching bag in the garage like I do

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You'll have to look around in the forum and search like everyone else, lots of tubeless threads or notes... almost daily now

There is no "one" perfect way to do it and it isn't super easy for a novice. I would highly suggest not doing it if you don't have an air compressor, haven't done a ghetto tubeless setup before, or have low patience. Or keep a punching bag in the garage like I do
    This. I had hands on support from a buddy that had already done it, so I didn't have MUCH problems on my first two wheels. The second 2 went a lot easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Hello, I am q-tube. Tell me why you do like me.
    cuz you make the ghetto toobless crowd cry..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks for all the help - I've been using Stan's for 10 years in my standard mountain wheels, started with a floor pump (remember his early videos?) and immediately purchased an air compressor. I once tried to set my Endomorphs up on my Vicious Cycle 80 mm rims by splitting a 24" presta tube to line the rim, but it didn't work. I'd like to run tubeless on my new Bud/Lou on Clown Shoes 100 mm, but don't want to be changing tires in the big freeze, in the trees, far from civilization - which is why I'd like to see a surefire method for fatties and Stan's, but will probably just stick to tubes.. and probably Surley 3.0-4.8 tubes which are now only coming in 1.1 mm thickness, they're heavy, but I do like reliability and as I said, don't want to be fixing tires in the snow or pushing/carrying my fattie for miles..

Laramie, Wyoming
    ...I'd like to run tubeless on my new Bud/Lou on Clown Shoes 100 mm, but don't want to be changing tires in the big freeze, in the trees, far from civilization - which is why I'd like to see a surefire method for fatties and Stan's, but will probably just stick to tubes.. and probably Surley 3.0-4.8 tubes which are now only coming in 1.1 mm thickness, they're heavy, but I do like reliability and as I said, don't want to be fixing tires in the snow or pushing/carrying my fattie for miles..
    You couldn't get me to run tubes. You won't find many people who ride further or in more extreme conditions than I do. From 2 psi in soft snow conditions to nearly 30 psi on some of my longer road type rides, tubeless is completely trouble free.

rshalit
    I ran clear tape in the center all winter last winter so I could watch the sealant and I never noticed that the Stans ever froze even at temps well below zero (I did mix it with Slime).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    so you are running Bud/Low on Clown Shoe 100 mm's, correct?

What kind of clear tape, how many layers, did you cover the tape that comes with Clown Shoes and did you cover the entire area and up on top of the bead, and why mix with Slime? thanks!

Laramie, Wyoming
    so you are running Bud/Low on Clown Shoe 100 mm's, correct?

What kind of clear tape, how many layers, did you cover the tape that comes with Clown Shoes and did you cover the entire area and up on top of the bead, and why mix with Slime? thanks!
    I currently have the Bud on the front and the BFL on the rear because I'm doing some longer rides at this time the Lou wears much quicker but I've ran the Lou for a lot of miles. And yes, on the 100 mm Clownshoe rim.

I did the clear tape last year so that I could watch the sealant during the winter rides. I've since changed the rear from clear. I used a heavy packing tape but I don't remember how many layers. I really like the Gorilla tape more than the clear tape. I ran the Gorilla tape past the bead, pushed it into the bead seat area and then trimmed the extra on the outside of the rim. I mixed it with Slime because I feel Slime seals larger holes better than Stans.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    You couldn't get me to run tubes. You won't find many people who ride further or in more extreme conditions than I do. From 2 psi in soft snow conditions to nearly 30 psi on some of my longer road type rides, tubeless is completely trouble free.
    it's always nice too read of someones profound accomplishments while denouncing others......read the title again...which toobs is what the OP inquired about why must you regurgitate the same garbage time and again?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    is the reason that the tape is going up into the bead sock of the rim because it provides a better seal than having just the tire bead against metal? I'm guessing that the tire beads still have plenty of room to fit into the bead (Gorilla tape is thick stuff)? I've been using various Stan's ZTR rims for so many years with just the yellow rim strip tape, this is new to me. Will it be necessary to build up the center of the rim with tape - I don't understand why some folks are saying to do this. thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have always been amazed at how tubes expand to fill an area.

I would guess that a larger Surly tube would perform better at lower psi, because the tube is able to fill the inside area of the tire easier vs. having to try to get a smaller diameter tube to fill that large of an area.

In conclusion, less psi in larger tube may result in better ride quality and float properties?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast