mtbr member

100 mm Bottom Brackets

I'm looking for some way to use a standard 68 mm bottom bracket in the 907 frame which has a 100 mm bottom bracket shell. I have a specific crankset that I want to use and it requires the shimano octalink V2 spline and I haven't been able to find anything with that interface in a 100mm width. I noticed some of the builds that have 100mm shells using 68 or 73mm brackets and I haven't been able to figure out how that works. Is there some kind of spacer I need or something? Or is that just a typo...

is buachail foighneach me
    I've never heard of someone using a 68 or 73mm bb in a 100mm shell. I really don't see how that would work. Not to mention having 10mm or less room on each end of the spindle to interface with the crank....

If you wanted to spend a bunch of money, I'm sure you could get an extension made that would fit over the octalink splines and extend to the appropriate length for the 100mm shell, but if you were going to spend that kind of money, why would you be using a crank you have laying around when there are bunch of really good options out there.

mtbr member
    68 into 100 does not go.

You can get wide BBs that fit a 68mm shell. The widest I know of is the TMS at 140mm
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Perhaps we can help you find wide-BB-compatible cranks that are as comparably awesome as the cranks you want to use currently?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wieczorek24
    I noticed some of the builds that have 100mm shells using 68 or 73mm brackets and I haven't been able to figure out how that works. Is there some kind of spacer I need or something? Or is that just a typo...
    Maybe you are thinking of some of the early Wildfires. They had an 83mm shell, but a 127.5 spindle Shimano square taper BB would work (though with a not-so-great chainline). I can't see how putting a 68 or 73 BB in a 100mm shell would ever work.

mtbr member
    I'm currently trying to use the Blackspire Badger Freeride crank because it is literally indestructable but if I can't use it then I guess I could look for another crank. I'm looking for something that can stand up to -50 or lower temperatures that we get here in the interior of Alaska.
    Last edited by wieczorek24; 01-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    BB / crank combinations from the FAQ thread:

Fat Bike FAQ's

I've heard consistently positive reviews of the Phil Wood 100mm / Middleburn square taper combination.

mtbr member
    I'll look into those...
    Maybe I can find some isis splined cranksets I like

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Chris King BB cups with Mr. Whirly cranks. You can regrease the cups any time you want and the cranks are super tough.
    Any cartridge BB is a POS in my opinion. There is a lot other places to save money on a fatbike, but drivetrain is not one of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Choppers US also sells a 100mm square taper bottom bracket. It's a cup and cone, loose bearing style, and quality is probably not the greatest, but it will set you back $22.98 instead of $162 for the Phil. Worth considering for anybody that wants to do an extremely cheap build.

Boomslang

Race Face

The Race Face Atlas is a great option - readily available, very high quality, lots of BB choices, super strong and one of the lighter options.

The only drawback might be that the CNC edges are a little sharp and might wear against your shoes/boots/pants as the case may be,

JC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon
    Choppers US also sells a 100mm square taper bottom bracket. It's a cup and cone, loose bearing style, and quality is probably not the greatest...
    I like that sort of BB. They are very good IF maintained properly. That system was in use for almost 100 years and some racked up tens of thousands of mile. But it all comes down to initial quality and scrupulous maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    I like that sort of BB. They are very good IF maintained properly. That system was in use for almost 100 years and some racked up tens of thousands of mile. But it all comes down to initial quality and scrupulous maintenance.
    I like them too, but I have a feeling that the "initial quality" of this one might not be so great.
    Depending how the bearing race areas on the axle are shaped, it might be possible to use the axle with higher-quality cups and bearings than what US Choppers sells.
    Andy

Nuts
    I know a lot of you might not give these praise but for the price.
    btw they accept offers of $15.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I ended up going with a Howitzer bb and crankset. I found a good deal on them and I have heard good things about their craftmanship and durability as well. I hope I am not disappointed.
    Thank you to everyone who provided helpful and insightful information

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon
    I like them too, but I have a feeling that the "initial quality" of this one might not be so great.
    Depending how the bearing race areas on the axle are shaped, it might be possible to use the axle with higher-quality cups and bearings than what US Choppers sells.
    Andy
    I did consider just that. I have a set of unused Dura-Ace cups. Loose ball bearings, even of the best quality, are dirt cheap, so if this axle was good enough, it would be possible to have a nearly everlasting BB.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to test the quality of steel? Something that could done at home by a reasonably competent man in a shed.

is buachail foighneach me
    See how long it takes to melt.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    See how long it takes to melt.
    Sean have you had bad luck with the Truvative BB and cranks? I opted to go that way for now ($75 clams invested) should I start saving for a better setup like a Mr. Whirly or something?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I cant recommend the Phil Wood Square Taper BB enough, uses regular SKS sealed bearings (with PW grease) which you can press out with sockets and a vice,

002 by coastkid71, on Flickr
    you could buy Middle burn crank arms or just buy second hand Shimano or similar arms on ebay...
    I got nearly 2000 miles out the 1st set of bearings beachriding including alot of salt water,
    repacement bearings were 12, i repacked them with Wurt Graphite grease first,
    once bought you can just keep using it, so longer you have it cheaper it becomes..kind of!
    I only got 500 miles out a Truvantiv Giga BB and had to throw it away.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    I only got 500 miles out a Truvantiv Giga BB and had to throw it away.
    I agree with you on the PW being the best, but the Truvativs can be pulled apart and bearings replaced as well. I'm currently running a Truvativ Giga with spacers (made out of old bearing races) and two bearings (as apposed to the original four). Replacement bearings are US $9 a piece.

mtbr member
    I got this Choppers US spindle & it's too wide for a 100mm shell. The spindle it 100mm race to race, that doesn't leave any room for bearings : (
    . Later, mike
    . www.geekonabike.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like we may have another choice soon, in a Sealed Cartridge Bearing at 100mm.
    VP Components VP-BC63
    VP Components ? 100mm Square Taper Bottom Bracket | FAT-BIKE.COM
    100 mm Bottom Brackets-vp-components-square-taper-100mm-bb-cartridge-vp-bc63.jpg

UPDATE: from the distributor: J&B Importers stocks it which means most every bikeshop in America has access to special order one.