mtbr member
    Dec 2012

10 speed - 2 cogs = 8 speed questions...

I'm currently running a 3x10 setup with an E*13 triple 44/32/22 and an SLX shadow plus 11-34 (x10) drive train. With a Marge Lite/Knard combo on the rear.

I've read up quite a bit on the options for dropping a cog or two on a nine speed setup to fit bigger tires. Such as Big Fat Larry's on a standard pug rear or daryl rims on pre-2012 Mukluk.

Anyone drop a cog or two from a 10x cassette to fit wider tires on a Pug? And if so what spacers and what if any derailluer mods did you have to perform; for example, I'm curious if the Shimano shadow plus (SLX 675 for me) would have enough depth/length on the L limit screw to stop properly with two gears missing on the cassette with said cassette pushed forward two spots effectively on the hub.

I'm looking to do this perhaps for winter as an option to swap to 4.7 Larrys for snow vs. my 3.8 Knard-Larry I ran all summer on my Necro build, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You never know until you try. When I ran my Pugsley with BFL's on 65mm rims I didn't have to change a thing.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Nuts
    I dropped the second or third cog off of an 11-36 xt 10 speed cassette with no der mods using regular xt shadow. I can can look at it tomorrow and give more details when I sober up a bit
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    With my 22T ring and 34T cog I rub on the tire nubs on the Knard out back on the Marge; I feel pretty certain a 4.7 Larry will rub badly without modification given my crank & frame combo.

-Chad

Nuts
    Yeah the e13 triple might not be your best option. I removed the 3rd cog from my xt 10 speed cassette.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yeah the e13 triple might not be your best option. I removed the 3rd cog from my xt 10 speed cassette.
    I doubt the crank is an issue I don't think it's any worse then the Truvativ many Pugs have stock, the odd part is I'm running mine with a 10 speed cassette. E13 has new better sized rings now for the crank I'm just too cheap and lazy to buy them.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChad View Post
    I doubt the crank is an issue I don't think it's any worse then the Truvativ many Pugs have stock, the odd part is I'm running mine with a 10 speed cassette. E13 has new better sized rings now for the crank I'm just too cheap and lazy to buy them.
    The e13 triple runs a very inward lower ring which doesn't give very good chain clearance, but it sounds like you have it figured out.
    And I love beer!!