Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 x setup??

mtbr member

1 x setup??

I have a Mukluk Ti and am thinking of going to a 1 x setup. Has anyone out there done this??

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    yes, lots of people have.

ouch....
    1x9 on my 907 , it is great.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk116 View Post
    I have a Mukluk Ti and am thinking of going to a 1 x setup. Has anyone out there done this??
    I've got single ring setups on 5 bikes including my Pugsley. Works great. I won't be specing front derailleurs on any new bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What kind of 1x9 gearing do you run on a year round fat bike?

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by evilcat View Post
    What kind of 1x9 gearing do you run on a year round fat bike?
    30T (Andersen machine) up front, with a BBG "bashwich" - bash outside & inside to keep chain from dropping...works awesome, 11-34 XT out back.

Only way I'll add a granny is if I end up moving to the mountains next year.
    Last edited by Shark; 06-10-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add info
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I'd have to work out the gear inches, but I am using a 32T x 23T cog on an Alfine 8 on my Pugs. That worked including mountain touring with way too much gear. The few times I had to walk I was keeping pace with my buddy who kept riding and same when he walked and I rode. I couldn't use a gear that was too much lower...perhaps a 30T x 23T would be the practical limit.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just converted my new (2012) pugs into 1x9. Like it so far and it looks bad-ass without that deraillier and big ring. My Paul chainkeeper won't work so I am going to swap it for my buddy's MRP that cam stock on his Krampus.

I'm going to use this Pugs for more Spring/Summer/Fall riding and my Necro Pugs (2x10) for Winter riding.

mtbr member
    Last winter I used a 22 chainring with 1x9 on my necro, and it was absolutely perfect for snow. For the very rare times I could peddle a higher gear, it was fine to just coast.

I had planned to up the chainring this summer, but now that I've done a dozen trail rides with it, I've decided to keep the granny chainring. I just ride on mountain single track, so it's steep ups and downs. I really like to sit and spin up anything, and enjoy the descents without peddling.

I would use a 32 front chainring like my 29er if I liked to stand and peddle the steep climbs. But the Necro geometry doesn't work as well for standing when it gets real steep as I loose traction. (Long chainstays?). Besides, there is something fun about tractoring up anything on a fat bike while you sit, so I really like my granny gear.

Living the thug life.
    Going 1x I would highly recommend a drop stop chain ring with a clutch rear der instead of a guide like MRP (which I had numerous problems with). I have quite a bit of time on the Wolf Tooth (wolftoothcomponents.com) 32 tooth and have nothing but good things to say about it. They make a ton of sizes for different cranks and tooth counts. This is a very similar system as the Sram XX1.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Vagician
    I've run a 1x9 on the fatty for a few years now. Love it. I used to run 32x11-34 but am happier with 30x11-34 since it's pretty hilly here. I'd switch to 10spd just for the 11-36 cassette but 9spd stuff is cheap and easy to find.

Fat & Single
    30t wolftooth front and 11-36 rear, X0 short cage rear mech (non clutch) no chainguide and haven't dropped the chain since fitting it.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm having trouble finding a 9 speed rear type 2 short. Do they only make 10 speed?

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul34 View Post
    I'm having trouble finding a 9 speed rear type 2 short. Do they only make 10 speed?
    I believe the type 2's are only avail in 10spd.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Dirt Huffer
    I broke my Pauls Components chain guide and it stucked even when it wasn't broke. Dont waste your money on one.

mtbr member
    Been wanting to do this for awhile. I was originally thinking 32t front (as is but might switch to a RF single ring for looks) and an XT 11-34t. I CAN do the hardest climbs on my local trails with 1:1, but it certainly is nice to do it at .8 or .9:1 So I've been going back and forth with just getting the 12-36 version of my hg61. And if I really want the street gear, I can swap the 11t on. I am a bit concerned with keeping the chain on. I may just try the double bash since I already have one on.

I have also considered a 10 speed but dumping even more on another derailer seems like overkill at this point. Not being super weight weenie, but a bit of drivetrain weight lost is a plus if I'm already changing ratios, Shrug. That's part of what's keeping me from pulling the trigger on the 12-36 cassette. Hurrumph.
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

Elitest thrill junkie
    Run 32 and 11-28 1x10. Works great for me, on climbs, descents, everything else. It's nice having a little simpler bike and shifting. There's good weight to be lost switching from a 36t low end cassette to an ultegra or something, just takes a bit of training to overcome the gears, like a single speed (but easier).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I run a 32t with a Paul Direct Mount keeper, X9 short cage, and a SRAM Red 12-32 9spd. cassette.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Good stuff here, I got my wife riding more this year than ever and she is pissed at her front derailleur and unwilling to spend the money mimicking my IGH setup... so I'm glad these poor man's XX1 ideas are in fact well vetted. Think I'll just go ahead and do it for her.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been running 1x9 on my 26in hardtail and love it. No plans on ever going back.

I'm using the middle ring from a raceface prodigy (32T) and SRAM 980 cassette 11-34T. SRAM X5 med cage derailleur.
    I'm holding the front on with an N-Gear JumpStop, and a 34T max raceface bash guard.

I'm still working the kinks out, I've derailed to the inside, but i think it was because i didn't have the jumpstop on tight enough.

mtbr member
    I've been putting a lot of thought and research into this. I'm now leaning towards just swapping in a Shimano ZEE to get a clutch type derailer (less chain slap would be great!) and a Wolfy front ring with probably an XT 11-36 10 speed. Sure it's a lot more fiddling with new stuff but it might be the best in the long run as to what I hope to accomplish. Especially with the benefit of chain control on the clutch type derailers. I really don't want to fiddle with a chain guide.
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Want to go 1x on my muk 3. I am converting my el mar to single speed, any reason not to swap all of the 10spd parts from the el mar to the muk? I figured dropping the to a 1x but picking up an extra on the casette would help even things out a bit. Any issue going 10spd on the mukluk with a 1x? Chain line issues, chain rub etc..
    Thanks
    E.P.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2012 Specialized Carve comp (work bike)
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

move on up...
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-Yukon View Post
    Want to go 1x on my muk 3. I am converting my el mar to single speed, any reason not to swap all of the 10spd parts from the el mar to the muk? I figured dropping the to a 1x but picking up an extra on the casette would help even things out a bit. Any issue going 10spd on the mukluk with a 1x? Chain line issues, chain rub etc..
    Thanks
    E.P.
    I was wondering this exact same thing, I will go for the x9 type 2 rear d though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-Yukon View Post
    Thanks
    E.P.
    The only chain line/ tire rub issues I had with my 2012 Muk 3 were in the granny gear. I've had no issues with the 1x setup using the middle ring location on the crank.

mtbr member
    1x10 on my Muk with XTR and a race face atlas crankset and cro mag chain ring i have a mrp 1x chain guide for extra assurance but the shimano clutch is pretty cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast