mtbr member
    Dec 2006

1/4 inch tear in my brand new 45n Escalotor tire, any suggestions? Tire "boot"?

We just got 2 907 bikes. On my first ride a few days ago I got a 1/4 hole in the outside of the tire (not the sidewall). It was from a stick. Any ideas on a way to get some more miles out of it? I don't really want to throw down another $150 for a tire and $17 on a tube after 45 minutes of riding. Man these tires are spendy, one good tire cost more than 2 good dirt bike tires!

I did try a rubber patch on the inside and covered it with Gorilla Tape and then put some rubber cement on the outside in hopes it will keep from tearing further. Any ideas or anyone have a 120 tpi tires for sale at a reasonable price?

A "boot" was suggested but having ridden mtn bikes for 25 years my take is that is really to get back to the car or house?

mtbr member
    No experience here but I gotta think sewing the tear shut with heavy thread then gorrila tape would probably work for a while. Figure it's f**ked up already, not likely to get more f**ked up...

On the plus side, sewing it up would probably look cool.

mighty sailin' man
    Put a moto tube patch on the inside of the tire over the hole. Maybe fill the outside with urethane window sealer
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Smash Mode: ON
    Have you tried calling 45nth? IMO these tires should be able to handle 'sticks'.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Aren't the tubeless companies now selling tire plugs (like when your car has a nail in its tire)? Can't you plug and glue it?

mtbr member
    If you decide to repair and run the tire put it on the rear where a sudden failure is less likely to result in a large dentist bill and make sure your medical insurance is paid up.

I feel your pain I just noticed my motorcycle's front tire has a cut in it. I was expecting another year from it. Instead I'm buying a new tire.

I lost a $120 road tire to a chunk of glass within the first 100K.

GF recently lost a $70 road tire to glass with less than 50% wear.

Although I sympathize with the $$$ hit I wouldn't run damaged tires myself beyond what it takes to get home unless the damage is minor. No crash and resulting injury is going to be worth the cost of a new tire.

The exception would be slow beach sand/snow use where you aren't getting up enough velocity to get hurt and the surface you will fall on is soft.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had sticks go through car tires. A stick hitting the tire just right is going to go through. If it is a frequent problem then sure blame the tire but if it is very rare then it's just bad luck.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I've had sticks go through car tires. A stick hitting the tire just right is going to go through. If it is a frequent problem then sure blame the tire but if it is very rare then it's just bad luck.
    I recall a rash of sticks through HDus last year. If we want lighter and lighter fat tires something has to give.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: 1/4 inch tear in my brand new 45n Escalotor tire, any suggestions? Tire "boot"?

Bummer. This is why I'll stick with 27tpi. I ride over too many sharp rocks. Some of the rocks may as well be old Indian arrowheads sticking out of the ground. The 27tpi tires have not complained. If I want more squishy-ness, I'll think about going tubeless instead of 120tpi.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would go to a rubber supply company, here in Anchorage AK. We have Alaska Rubber. A rubber supply company will have a commercial grade patch for radial tires that is super flexible. I have install these on tundra tires on my airplane which are tubeless and you have to install the patch on the exterior because you have no access to the interior of the tire. Put a lot of hours on them with not problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ^^^^^ try this, or a car tire patch/plug.

You will get many more miles on them yet with a bit of ingenuity!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I recall a rash of sticks through HDus last year. If we want lighter and lighter fat tires something has to give.
    This. People keep clamoring for lighter and/or cheaper. Sometimes both. Something has to give, somewhere.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    On my first ride a few days ago I got a 1/4 hole in the outside of the tire (not the sidewall). It was from a stick.

I did try a rubber patch on the inside and covered it with Gorilla Tape and then put some rubber cement on the outside in hopes it will keep from tearing further. Any ideas or anyone have a 120 tpi tires for sale at a reasonable price?

A "boot" was suggested but having ridden mtn bikes for 25 years my take is that is really to get back to the car or house?
    A "boot" is just an emergency field repair - not permanent. I've used surgical tape on the inside of a tire for this, and the tape glue held things in place well enough to prevent a hike back to the trailhead 6 miles away.

Tape/glue/friction will not take the load for long and does not keep the rip from growing. Sewing the rip shut will spread the load to the rest of the fabric and maintain the integrity of the tire "carcass". If you're running tubeless, you will still need a pressure seal - altho in the one case where I did this, my DIY sealant took care of that. The best stitch to use is a "baseball" stitch, which gives a flat join.

OTOH! I would not do this in the tread area! Stitching will still stand above the rubber and take wear - and come apart.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had a similar thing happen on my test drive of a moonlander with 120tpi BFLs. I was just riding around the neighborhood behind the bike shop, and a twig on the sidewalk must have been sitting just right with a sharp edge. I first heard the twig slapping the pavement, then the air coming out. That's when I decided my tires wouldn't need to be that light weight. If they can't take a stroll around the block, then how do they hold up to use on trails?

I would think it would be alright to patch it with a tubeless tire patch for motorcycles, cars or whatever. If it is easy enough for a twig to go through, I think you aren't really taking any more of a risk by running it with a patch. just keep an eye on it. if you are running tubes, it shouldn't blow out if it rips the tire going away from the hole. I don't think a rip would propagate anyways. you have two layers of unidirectional fabric at 90 degrees from each other, and 45 degees from the tire. As long as your patch keeps the tube from showing you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had this happen twice with my Escalators. Right through the middle. First time I booted it with a dollar bill, then patched it later. Second time, threw in a new tube, no boot and kept riding. Tube did not poke out the hole. Been riding it that way for a month. Flats happen. Shrug.

I really like the traction and feel of the Escalators. Some kind of anti-puncture layer would be nice if it doesn't add too much weight or ruin the feel. Did I read that the 180tpi version is going away?

mtbr member
    I had a tread get ripped off of my Lou tire. I put a patch on the inside of the tire and then put layers of Shoe Goo on it. It is holding up just fine. I ride it in some very rocky places here in Massachusetts and don't even think of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I did talk to 45north, they were super nice, but pretty much said bad luck. Apparently they don't make the Escalator anymore. They are coming out with 3 new Dillenger's in Sept, a 27 tpi, 120 studded and 120 non studded.

I have seen plugs similar to car plugs at the LBS but they said nobody has tried them yet. I haven't tried them, was almost thinking about taking it to a car place.

I am going to ride today, hopefully my "raft" patch on the inside with Gorilla tape will hold.

I know tires can puncture, I have been lucky with no flats on any of my bikes in the last 3-4 years. It's just a bummer on a $150 tire and $17 tube 45 minutes into the first ride. It was a pretty big poke right through the top. Maybe it's just bad luck or maybe these tires are really only meant for snow. My intent was to ride the bike year round.

Lighter and cheaper is good, I guess it comes down to volume, but it's hard to imagine $150 for one tire when I can get TWO great moto tires for my KTM for the same price as one bike tire, just saying. I have no idea what these cost to make, could due to producing small amounts.

Are other people having the same issue or is this just bad luck?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    PS I like the shoe goo idea and moto patch. Goo could help it from spreading. With such low pressures and lowish speed I am going to try it for a few rides. I think another blowout wouldn't be devastating like it would be at 50 mph on a road bike! It would create another long walk home, not sure bad in nice weather.

I did have an extra tube but it took me 220 pumps with a floor pump to get it 30 lbs to set the bead. Even when I put a new tube in it was 150 pumps with a floor pump, I was close enough to walk home where I didn't want spend an hour with a hand pump.

Which leads me to the question, what are people doing on a long ride, 10 co2 cartridges or spending a long time with a hand pump to try and get it to 5-8 lbs? It would probably hold to get home but not enough to set the bead properly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post

Which leads me to the question, what are people doing on a long ride, 10 co2 cartridges or spending a long time with a hand pump to try and get it to 5-8 lbs? It would probably hold to get home but not enough to set the bead properly.
    I've been using these:
    Big Air! 40 Gram Propane - 1 Pack With Hang Tab

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    I had a tread get ripped off of my Lou tire. I put a patch on the inside of the tire and then put layers of Shoe Goo on it. It is holding up just fine. I ride it in some very rocky places here in Massachusetts and don't even think of it.
    shoe goo, for the win.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    ^^^This. Unless everything is made from carbon fiber you can't defy the basic physics of a bike designed to run 4 and 5 inch tires. More metal and more rubber equals heavier. Lighter frames means thinner tubing, lighter tires means thinner casings, both lead to more frequent failures. My muk3 has the heavier 27tpi nates, they're a little heavier but I will not sacrifice durability to save grams. If I want light and flat out speed I'll take the carbon roadie for a spin. My fatty is big and slow, it's made for 2 wheel monster trucking where other bikes tuck their tail in and go home. I'm a grown man not a weight wussie, I can deal with a it, all the while grinning from ear to ear of course.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    A quick sew job with dental floss (maybe I could be the dental floss tycoon!) patched over with a round piece of old tube and sho-glue. My wife has been riding on a repaired HD for quite a while now. I patched a Larry (running tubeless) before winter and it's held for all our riding here in Maine.

ouch....
    Just bad luck. I had about 5 large stick punctures last year on my tubeless hudus. I use a park pteglued patch on inside, then a dab of crazy glue from outside to seal up the hole. As long as the sealant is fresh I've had no issues after, hold air great.
    $17 tubes??? Wtf?
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    (maybe I could be the dental floss tycoon!) patched over
    Maybe if you moved to Montana you could be.

mtbr member
    Yippy-Yi-O-Ty-Yay
    BBB (big beautiful bike)