mtbr member
    Jan 2015

03/05/16 Birkie Fat Bike Race

I plan to participate in the upcoming Birkie Fat Bike race in Cable, Wi.
    Participate, the operative word, as I am just doing the short version, planning to go slow and safe and have fun.
    Is anyone else going, and does anyone have helpful suggestions to get the most out of the weekend event. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I am doing it again this year. I had the same plan as you, but wound up puking midway through the short one. I do have a tendency to overdress, and get nervous.

But I was blowing by (presumably) roadies/snow riding n00bs on the hills. Speaking of the hills, they are brutal. Try to train a little if you can. I am hitting twelve miles of hills on my singlespeed 29er frequently in the weeks leading up.

Anyway, I generally don't care about racing and think the Birkie is kinda pricey, but it was a big fun production. And my wife managed to snag some sick iPhone video of me crushing three other racers as I powered through to the finish line - to take first overall in both the long and short races.
    Last edited by tyriverag; 02-25-2016 at 06:48 AM.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I am going for the first time. My buddy, who has done it, promised a beer half way through the short race!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    And my wife managed to snag some sick iPhone video of me crushing three other races as I powered through to the finish line - to take first overall in both the long and short races.
    Nice work! What were the races?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Nice work! What were the races?
    Ha, I didn't actually take first in the long or short. Did take 13th in the short though. Looking to do better than that this year, placing and not puking. The video is pretty sweet though, she caught me right as I was hitting the final stretch, (legit) blowing by racers. Got so PUMPED when I saw the finish line.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ha, I didn't actually take first in the long or short. Did take 13th in the short though. Looking to do better than that this year, placing and not puking. The video is pretty sweet though, she caught me right as I was hitting the final stretch, (legit) blowing by racers. Got so PUMPED when I saw the finish line.
    Nice work! Like you said the hills there ain't no joke! That type of race just isn't my style otherwise I would be there too! Good luck, and remember to give it 110% the entire time!! haha

aka bOb

But I was blowing by (presumably) roadies/snow riding n00bs .
    We are calling the new breed Ice Roadies
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Nice work! Like you said the hills there ain't no joke! That type of race just isn't my style otherwise I would be there too! Good luck, and remember to give it 110% the entire time!! haha
    Including the puking.
    Last edited by bdundee; 02-26-2016 at 06:25 AM.

beer thief
    Video of the puking please. Or at least the hammer finish

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I live in nearby Hayward. If you've never been to Cable before, you'll want to hit up River's Eatery for pizza and beer. The owners are wonderful bike advocates and the pizza is awesome. The Sawmill in Seeley and Angry Minnow in Hayward are other places I would recommend for beer/food.

The race is mostly on wide, well-groomed and packed ski trail except for a road rollout and finish in Cable. Not technical at all but you will need your legs and lungs for the hills.

Again if you are new to the area, I would highly recommend riding some groomed single track. There are guided rides Sunday that are on the website or go off on your own. I would highly recommend Seeley Hills, Seeley Pass, or the new Big Fat Loop. They are well marked, have been groomed all year and are a blast to ride. See CAMBA's website if you need a map.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    BigMcLovin, thanks for great suggestions, staying in Hayward Americinn which I'm told is about 20 minutes away from Birkie/Cable. I'm hoping I can simply walk any hills which are too intimidating, again just doing the short race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Including the puking.
    Puking rally!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbikenewbie View Post
    BigMcLovin, thanks for great suggestions, staying in Hayward Americinn which I'm told is about 20 minutes away from Birkie/Cable. I'm hoping I can simply walk any hills which are too intimidating, again just doing the short race.
    Yeah, you'll be able to walk them - you likely won't be the only one. If the grooming sets up nice, and it stays a little below freezing, it should make for a really nice ride/race.

You are about 20 mins away. We're staying at the Flat Creek in Hayward. Cool area, definitely try to hit the after party at Sawmill. Sounds like the race day expo thing will be bigger than last year.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I skied on the trails Tuesday and after the thaw during the Birkiebeiner last weekend, the ski trails are hard as concrete. There is a little snow in the forecast but the temps should be around freezing or below after tomorrow. I would expect next weekend to be very firm and fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMcLovin View Post
    I skied on the trails Tuesday and after the thaw during the Birkiebeiner last weekend, the ski trails are hard as concrete. There is a little snow in the forecast but the temps should be around freezing or below after tomorrow. I would expect next weekend to be very firm and fast.

I am kind of hoping that the course turns to mush, as that is where I felt I had an advantage over some of the racers newer to fat biking. I was able to blow up the hills past most racers due to better technique. If the course is fast, I'll likely get crushed by those with stronger motors. But it would make for a more pleasant ride, lol.

Eh, whatever.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    This year I am going to ride with ear buds. I think having Cr00sh musics will help me power through.

I have already curated a most PUMPY playlist just based on what I had on my phone. In case you are wondering, my PUMP JAMS playlist consists of the dopest punk rock, hardcore, and death metal songs.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Here is a write-up of my birkie experience: heck yeah, man: Fat Bike Birkie 2016
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Nice work man!

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Also, I'd be curious to see other feedback on the change in format of the "raffle"/silent auction/after party.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Great write up! This was my first Birkie race. I looking forward to next year. Definitely going to try to train more on snow covered, hilly trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It was my first Berkie also. While my time was not good, had an awesome time and will be trying to make it better next year!! What a ball!

Lord Thunderbottom
    Thanks!

Also, I'd be curious to see other feedback on the change in format of the "raffle"/silent auction/after party.
    Not a fan, everything that was any good was for sale at almost retail thru the auction, not that it's a bad thing for the cause it raises money for but people were a lot less excited and most of us just left early, the raffle last year kept us spending a lot of time there and created a more fun atmosphere
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    As a roadie, I was humbled by the long course. 3 hours of 1 minute intervals. My training was interrupted by illness and work for the last 4 weeks leading up so aerobically was not where I needed to be. It was a hoot and will be back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I rode the short race, it really kicked my butt, a little humbling how many hills I had to walk up. However, the weekend greatly exceeded my expectations with a well run event, great atmosphere for a relative newbie to fatbikes, with lots of bike smart folks willing to answer all my bike related questions. And just lots of fun friendly people and beer drinking up north! whats not to like! I too hope to be back again!