Nuts

!00mm Carbon Rims?

Man I am struggling with all the cool new stuff coming out, I have liquefied a lot of my fat bike assets in hopes of greater glory. I will say though the price of most of the carbon hoops are a little too much for me to swallow except for one that will hopefully be a little more reasonable. I really love the fatness of a 100mm rim and it does appease the attention whore within but the "want it now" syndrome has struck and my pockets are getting hot. Honestly hell I can't even ride, that and I sold my geared single speed gravel bike to fund this endeavor but still the Fatback remains in pieces in the basement. Do I settle an amazing 80ish mm rims that will work on 90% of my rides or hold out for hundies or maybe the possibilities of Stans getting into the game? Of course all that being said my Fatty will need to be my gravel bike now that it is gone so maybe stick with the 80's. So confused head spinning going to drink now!!

Before I forget the actual question, any news on any 100mm carbon or super light rims?
    And I love beer!!

ouch....
    It sure looks like the next few months we'll be seeing lots of new cool stuff coming. If I were in your shoes & recuperating, I would hold tight, save the $$, and see what comes out.

I am excited to see what Stan's comes out with, I beat on a set of 355's on my old skinny bike, they were great. I'd love to try a fat set if they come out with them.
    Riding.....

Human Test Subject
    The specialized rims are almost there at 90mm and 790g. It's a shame they're made from the skulls of innocent dolphins though.

Smash Mode: ON
    I can only imagine there will be some Chinese rip-off versions of these rims at 1/4 the price pretty soon. Wouldn't it be ironic if they were the first to connect the dots and make them hundos? But you'd still have the dolphin skull issue, or panda skulls I suppose.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What about the 470 gram rims I saw at IB? Borealis I think. Not light enough for you?

mtbr member
    Kinda glad 100mm carbon's haven't come out yet. My bank account would be hurting right now if so. I don't think I would chance the Stan's rims. I've ruined every set I tried except the Flow's. If he manages to hit a weight close to a carbon rim they will probably explode under me.
    The LPG

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    What about the 470 gram rims I saw at IB? Borealis I think. Not light enough for you?
    Not complaining because it's an outstanding and a beautiful rim but I have 1501 reasons why I can't buy em and the first one is they aren't hundies.
    And I love beer!!

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    The specialized rims are almost there at 90mm and 790g. It's a shame they're made from the skulls of innocent dolphins though.

I do wonder if they will be available for purchase separately for us everyday folks.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    I can only imagine there will be some Chinese rip-off versions of these rims at 1/4 the price pretty soon. Wouldn't it be ironic if they were the first to connect the dots and make them hundos? But you'd still have the dolphin skull issue, or panda skulls I suppose.
    This is what I'm hoping for. Hopefully Light Bicycle or one of the better builders with come out with some good quality light 100mm rims.

Laramie, Wyoming
    bdundee, I feel your carbon agony. I'm waiting for 100's, someone has to do it. But it might be nice to have a narrower set as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Bob; sorry to hear you are laid up, my best wishes and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Hear you on the 100's; when I saw the write-up, my first thought when I noticed the size...what; not 100's?

But at 66 I have started rethinking this 4.8 wider is better thing from a Q factor perspective, maybe the coming years might not take too kindly to an increase. Why push the limits with that which comes with age...would like to keep riding for many years to come. The gotta have it...the latest and greatest...etc could not be a friend.

Sometimes...settle for less...ride more.

I'm with Shark...happiness is a choice.

Good thing that 100's can fit 135's through 190.

Just be happy that the Dr. didn't use carbon screws...Ti doesn't splinter!

Get well soon.

Mike
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bob, sounds like you know what to do. Carbon hundies is your only answer. You don't need anything now, and lusting for new things is the spirit that keeps you motivated.

Stans says they are getting into it... but no clarification yet on if they will actually be 100 or if they will be 80 or 90. If they do the rumored date from them won't be until a month or two into 2014, so keep that in mind. I'm skeptical as well on their statement of getting close to the carbon weights. Just stick with the reliable Clown Shoes