mtbr member
    Jun 2014

“Give” in while hard pedaling

I’ve been around eh bikes my whole life.. enough to know what two wheels and pedals will do for ya. The technical I’m a total noob.

I just had my LBS install a new megarange gear set on my Dolomite.

The previous unit was solid when pedaling but “click/clunk” when applying some human torque. Also would wiggle on the bike when moving it around to duplicate the noise with your fingers.

With the new mega range installed - it’s solid and no clunk and no more wiggles.

However, when I pedal hard (still sitting down) I feel what is like a soft spot when I first apply torque. I still pedal foward and it “locks in” solid but it’s just that first initial lunge there is a soft spot. In terms of pedal rotation it’s around 1/4 of full revolution.

Now I’m not sure if it’s really rock solid tight and I’m just putting down enough power to cause the rear wheel to spin out a bit before momentum overcomes power? But it seemed to do it on the even higher (or is it lower/harder) gears. Which is what leads me to think it’s more mechanical than me just being awesomely strong (which is NOT the case!)

Otherwise, the bike rides great. My LBS service tech said he took it for a spin (to make sure it shifted smooth) and he didn’t mention anything about it.

**in case anyone cares, it’s a great bike for going to grab beer/roam the neighbor hood and for camp trips. I paid $225 for the bike, $11 for the seat, $18 shipped for the mega range & $14 for the bike rack and for a personal touch, $6 for a red license plate. $274 in total parts, $25 for service hubs/install gear set for $300 overall- not bad for a slice of pleasure. And no, I would not spend $700+ for a fat tire bike. I could not justify the use of a “better” bike in that price range.**

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Frame/drivetrain/tire flex
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Interesting. Where would this most likely occur? The tire? I think I have 15 or 20psi out of a max 30psi

I’ll see if I can try to replicate the issue by adjusting the brake to apply pressure and getting it on a stand to hand pedal it to see if I can get it to do the same thing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Maybe ask the guys in the walgoose thread if they are having similar issues. Might be something simple like sticky pawls but maybe the freehub on that bike is just not so good.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaBum View Post
    Interesting. Where would this most likely occur?
    Thin frame members and structural parts. The dropouts on those bikes are usually pretty thin and the chain/seatstays/bottom bracket isn't really engineered to be stiff.

The tire? I think I have 15 or 20psi out of a max 30psi
    Definitely not, that's pretty crazy-high pressure for a fat bike. It may make the problem more noticeable even. Most people don't go much above 15psi or so. I would take mine up to around 20 for roads, but that would be the extent of it.

I’ll see if I can try to replicate the issue by adjusting the brake to apply pressure and getting it on a stand to hand pedal it to see if I can get it to do the same thing.
    Unlikely, you won't be applying anywhere near the torque, still, you never know and it could give you an idea. Sometimes it's just something stupid like a loose cassette or dropout.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

sounds to me like a gap before the freewheel's engagement points

PRETENDURO
    My recommendation would be to stay away from cheap Shimano rear hubs. I’ve disintegrated two of them, and know of three people who have had them eventually fail as well. Just my take on the situation. Go with some affordable Hope II Pro hub action, hooked up with econo SRAM 9-speed stuff– cheap as dirt from sites such as Pricepoint, JensonUSA, Cambria Bike, and Blue Sky Cycling. Keep with the solid-pin chains as opposed to the hollow pin ones. Cannot go wrong, I’ve done 7,000+ miles of fatbiking on said above mentioned setup, in addition to 1,100 racing miles (29er, fatbike, 26er, full-suspension 26er, etc.) and haven’t ever experienced any failure other than a chain stretching to the point of failure or the chainrings + cassette cogs enduring excessive wear from extreme uphill grade (26%+) wear and tear.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Good to know. I’m going to copy that into my Evernote for future reference. Of course I’ll rock out my current setup until something fails, but if something does fail, I’ll replace it with bigger/better.

I enjoy both my fat tire bikes but they are only used to roam the neighborhood or short trips from camp site to beaches. Nothing extreme going on nor would a failure leave me stranded somewhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Re: “Give” in while hard pedaling

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Yup agree with this, as cog type freewheels tend to have this issue.

Jkj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So how much is the bike again? What brand? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbax View Post
    Yup agree with this, as cog type freewheels tend to have this issue.
    Doesn't sound like something I can fix without replacement..

Quote Originally Posted by Jkj View Post
    So how much is the bike again? What brand? Thanks
    I paid $225
    Mongoose Dolomite.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    you get what you pay for.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    you get what you pay for.
    Good thing I wasn't expecting much to start with

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The free hub on my FB4 started to slip...the freehub was a lot like this one....crappy vid from someone else but it will give you an idea....

look at it...you never know....

and also this...

Freehub Body Disassembly/Assembly - YouTube
    Old guy in the woods

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    he has a freewheel cog, not a free hub.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram