mtbr member
    Apr 2005

18 Beargrease vs 18 Mukluk

My wife is trying to decide on the 18 BG NX1 and a 18 Mukluk NX1. We can get them for nearly the same price, carbon for the BG, aluminum for the Muk. Shes had a chance to ride the BG; loves it. Would have to order the Muk

Here are my thoughts, would love to hear yours since youre all experienced with this model.

Use case: goofing off (pub crawls, farmers market, car camping trips, etc), riding groomed snow (we live in MN), and who knows what else. Definitely not single track or bikepacking tho. Very much a casual rider

I have a 27.5 Farley and have adopted that wheel size, I know the pros cons there.

Here are the things thats Im thinking about with both.

18 BG has a 177mm hub which is pretty much non standard now (probably not a big deal unless swapping wheels). Also is XC oriented. She was comfortable on it but it was a parking lot test ride. For standard 15-25 mi trips, this shouldnt make a difference correct? Carbon would be nice...

18 Muk has 26 wheels and Ive pretty much fully adopted 27.5. Shes not going to go out bushwhacking, and is gonna benefit from the increased rollover vs max float. So potentially a new wheelset but has 197mm rear hub so would be easy to switch one way or the other. Also, a more do-it-all geometry (I think) but there are none around to test ride.

Whats the consensus? Anyone go down a similar path?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My wife and I went with the Mukluks. Partially due to sizing. Wife's is the XS and mine is an XL (longer top tube than the BG). We also liked the increased flexibility of tire sizes (26x5, 27.5, and 29+) with 197 hub and also the threaded BB. Color played a bit of a role as well.

Looking at the 18 models, I'd probably pick the Mukluk again. However the 2019 models are coming soon (just announced last week). The 2019 BG would probably be my choice now. The difference between the two is minimal in 2019.

Ummm and don't say no to single track and bikepacking yet... I ride my Mukluk year round and and eyeing up a 29+ wheelset for bikepacking. The extra traction has given my wife more confidence on single track where she may pick the Mukluk over her 29er.

We ride MN and WI trails of all types. Gravel, double track, single track.

mtbr member
    For what you describe, I would go with the Muk. It is far more versatile for putting racks on it. When camping I have strapped firewood bundles to the rack. I have also strapped a growler to the front fork during a fatty ride between breweries. I also raced it at the Fat Bike Birkie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the heads up about the update. I like the new gray way more than the blue teal. I may wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    She went with the Mukluk. Pretty good bike, will need a few upgrades. Stock tubed Minion FBRs are the first things to go!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by qa_bugfinder View Post
    My wife and I went with the Mukluks. Partially due to sizing. Wife's is the XS and mine is an XL (longer top tube than the BG). We also liked the increased flexibility of tire sizes (26x5, 27.5, and 29+) with 197 hub and also the threaded BB. Color played a bit of a role as well.

Looking at the 18 models, I'd probably pick the Mukluk again. However the 2019 models are coming soon (just announced last week). The 2019 BG would probably be my choice now. The difference between the two is minimal in 2019.

Ummm and don't say no to single track and bikepacking yet... I ride my Mukluk year round and and eyeing up a 29+ wheelset for bikepacking. The extra traction has given my wife more confidence on single track where she may pick the Mukluk over her 29er.

We ride MN and WI trails of all types. Gravel, double track, single track.
    I am looking at the 2019 Mukluk and Beargrease. Looks like the Muk has a bend in the frame where you need it for more standover height looking at the pictures online. The specs say
    Standover(L) is Muk 765.3mm and BG is 780.6mm

So the Muk frame is $200 more than the BG likely due to the adjustable chainstay.

Chainstay MUK 432-449(adjustable)and BG 440

There are other mild differences but right now I am leaning toward the Muk due to the adjustability in chainstay length. Weights weren't published.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check the q factor

Just one thing to be cautious of. I have a 17 mukluk. I love it, but I had to change the crank from the standard 190mm to a flipped ring 170 mm in order to make my knees happy. With the bear grease, you should have a narrower Q factor right out of the box.

My buddy has the bear grease and it seems like a really nice bike too. I still like my mukluk. Their geometry is different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This one came with the new GX Eagle crankset. 30t up front. Im honestly not sure what the width is but chain line looks pretty good. The chainring is definitely not flipped

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hoboscratch View Post
    This one came with the new GX Eagle crankset. 30t up front. Im honestly not sure what the width is but chain line looks pretty good. The chainring is definitely not flipped

I hadn't heard of Q factor until after I rose for about 4 hours and my knees were aching. I think it's something that is very personal and you won't know what Q factor you need until you get the wrong one. mine went from an awful 225 mm to a vet comfortable 205 mm