mtbr member
    Sep 2016

$500 full-suspension fat bikes on Alibaba

Does anyone have experience with any of the following alibaba listings--they look too good to be true:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...838.0.0.s25jfd

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...838.0.0.s25jfd

The frames alone would be worth that much, and they are very reminiscent of the Salsa Bucksaw. I know I would be donning my business salesman cap and dealing with international shipping. Any comments?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    A brand-new FULL-suspension fatbike for $500? Something's off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    A brand-new FULL-suspension fatbike for $500? Something's off.
    Well don't trick yourself into thinking that Salsa makes less than a 200% profit on their Bucksaws... (think shipping, retail, insurance, customer satisfaction, company costs, etc. etc.) There are more offers in that range:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/26-4...761980155.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-S...368834375.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/21-S...505300109.html

These are assessed gold suppliers, onsite checked, and covered by trade assurance with several transactions per month and customer reviews. I'm more or less looking to see if people have bought these and rode them.

mtbr mumbler
    Well, one of them has a kick stand so that may give you an idea of the quality and the knowledge of mountain biking the manufacturer has. The other one is described as foldable but then says it isn't foldable. It appears they are looking for dealers and selling in quantities so I'm not sure if you can buy just one and if so, what the price is. Maybe you can buy one as a sample if they think you are interested in distributing.

But hey, if you get one and it's great, let us know!
    2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    2005 Jamis Dragon
    2003 Jamis Dakota XC converted to single speed

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    You get what you pay for.

Except in this case, where you'd be overpaying by a significant amount.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for the comments folks! I am reading through pages of customer reviews right now, and it looks like this manufacturer actually ships these bikes and they actually get to people's doorsteps for under $600 and they actually look like what they said they would look like. I would certainly post if I go ahead and try buy one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Can't understand in what realm ANY $600 FS bike makes sense.

I don't care if salsa makes a 200 percent profit on their bucksaw, I'm paying for some thought and development that went into the product to make sure it doesn't kill me.

Honestly, it never used to bug me that much but these last few years all this 'greedy bike industry' shit has started to grate my nerves. Is the industry greedy? Hell yes. Find me an industry that isn't. And as far as bikes are concerned, there is no real alternative.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    all this 'greedy bike industry' shit has started to grate my nerves.
    I appreciate your deep-pockets perspective, but please keep it clean for those of us who are DIRT poor students and still like to ride. Some day I will also support my LBS without griping when I'm rich.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Not a bad deal if you want 2000.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Is dang happy!
    HellNope!
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Hold out for the $700 carbon model...
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post

The frames alone would be worth that much, and they are very reminiscent of the Salsa Bucksaw. I know I would be donning my business salesman cap and dealing with international shipping. Any comments?
    Being "very reminiscent" (poetic for "ripoff") of a Bucksaw, and actually being a Bucksaw are two very different things.

If you aren't seeing comments from anyone on here who has purchased and ridden one, that should probably tell you something. But if you want to be the first - go for it.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    its not a bike that has protention. at that price range. i would buy a bikedirect bike. not any full suspension fat bike
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I appreciate your deep-pockets perspective, but please keep it clean for those of us who are DIRT poor students and still like to ride. Some day I will also support my LBS without griping when I'm rich.
    Deep pocketed? How about realistic? And please don't lay the 'poor-college-student' bit on me. I paid my way through school and still barely make enough to live on.

Doesn't mean I'm going go out and get a $600 FS bike.

I also only ever support my LBS selectively since they pretty much suck ass IMO.

Human Test Subject
    I've been looking to kill myself and can't afford a gun. This will do nicely.

beer thief
    Well, the gender: women bike only weighs 25 kg (50+ lbs) and has a "Shimano Freewheel 41-8" so there's that.

Both have Black handerbar.

The first link says "foldable" - I bet there's some truth to that!

Ps: Frame and rims will have different colors for you choose,friend,any request in the color,please don't worry.

mtbr mumbler
    Dang, you can get a "full suspension triathlon fat rim folding electric bike" for $400-$600! We need to petition mtbr.com to do a review!
    2005 Jamis Dragon

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Just wait we'll see those at Walmart before long for under $400

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I've been looking to kill myself and can't afford a gun. This will do nicely.
    Ha!

mtbr member
    well, i have a feeling this thread will get locked real quick
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    well, i have a feeling this thread will get locked real quick
    As long as we don't insult sponsor Bikes Direct, we're golden.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Some please buy one, full unpacking and test ride/ review required🙈
    Last edited by MozFat; 02-10-2017 at 05:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Uh, I'm not rich. But mountain biking's my thing and I'm not buying heavy foldable kickstandworthy cheap stuff online. I could go to Walmart down the road for that.

If anything, buying a cheap fatbike for real fatbiking on anything more than a level, dry paved bike path could leave you with more regret than you think.

Dirt poor students who know anything about mountain bikes should be cruising the used bike selection in their region for quality rides (sometimes with upgrades) being unloaded cheap rather than what you're going to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The other thing to mention is that I probably wouldn't buy anything from someone selling a "downhill foldable full suspension fatbike"

I fatbikes and DH (I bought the DH sled used) so I get their intended uses. It has never occurred to me to hybridize these bikes AND make the result foldable for trips to Whistler to hit the big stuff.

That's some bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It does have "black disc brakes" tho ... props to that.

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Gigantic again"......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

since 4/10/2009
    Waaaaaaaaaaaa

I have been the poor college student, and I was poorer than most. At times, I would have to get by on less than $20 per week. I frequently had to skip the hourlong drive to the nearest mtb trails because I didn't have gas money. I rode on campus or on paved greenways instead because it was what I could afford.

I didn't party, because there was no money for it.

I was not as poor as my freshman roommate who dropped out sophomore year because he ran up a huge credit card bill going out with his frat buddies.

I worked my ass off over the summer for a little extra money. One summer, I upgraded to a $600 hardtail with some of my summer job money. It was a reasonably good bike that I kept in service for a decade before selling it to another college student who needed an inexpensive mtb.

I would never have bought one of these steaming piles of shit. In no world is this a good deal. You are basically spending $500 on a $100 box store full suspension bike with bigger tires. Yay for the fat tax!

Have fun with the sticker shock on a replacement set of rubber.

Bikesn*b comment in 3, 2,

I'll add my two, face to face, cents on this, since I've just been snarking along here....

Throwing good money after bad. A fool and his money. Penny wise and pound foolish.

These are but a few of the idioms that exist for the conundrum you find yourself faced with.

Buying a bike like that, will only result in spending more time and money, and yet still, having less of each at the end of the day. If you are truly a cyclist (in this case an MTB)? Someone who actually goes out and rides in the woods, on trails, gets dirty, crashes now and then, and just loves the idea of being out there? Function first, form second, all day long.

Just a once a month, blow out the cobwebs, leaves the bike outside, locked to a rack for months on end, maybe hit a trail but mostly cruise the local MUP kinda rider? A BSO is just fine, but buy a $100 one, not this overpriced cruise ship anchor.

Society at large isn't telling you, or anyone else, that they need to buy a $5K bike to have fun. Sure, the marketing people want you to take that as gospel, but anyone who would rather just see you out there, than care how much money you spent, wouldn't tell you that's a good deal, or that the cheapest possible version of any outdoor toy, is the best way to make the most of your time outdoors.

The whole poor student thing? If you're giddy to blow $600 for this POS over a less expensive hardtail FBSO, A: you're not poor, and B: you have enough budget for a decent used, *real* bike.

A real bike will have components that do their jobs, silently, willingly, and well enough to allow you to just enjoy the time out.

A BSO, will weigh more, generally perform its mechanical functions to a certain degree, but do it for less time, and have the user spending a greater amount of their time screwing around trying to make it do what a used, better quality bike, just would have done in the first place, and often for less money than the BSO to boot.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Now THIS one - if you want to roll up to the local 'biker bar' and get some cred next to the 10foot long, big bore v twin chopper that can't turn corners - but looks like a dragon - yeah - do it!
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full...b-afaec4bd5e2b

21 Gear Disc Brakes please?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One might be better off with a used 27.5+ bike with some kind of front sus fork, or any used mt bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Waaaaaaaaaaaa

I would never have bought one of these steaming piles of shit. In no world is this a good deal. You are basically spending $500 on a $100 box store full suspension bike with bigger tires. Yay for the fat tax!

Have fun with the sticker shock on a replacement set of rubber.
    Good point. I forgot about tire shopping - just a cost of doing fatbike business.

I'd love to see OP's reaction at tires that cost nearly half of what that dumpster fire of a full suspension foldable downhill fatbike costs.

Buying tires will require eating a lot more ramen.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    "if you mind, please do not buy..."

mtbr mumbler
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Good point. I forgot about tire shopping - just a cost of doing fatbike business.

I'd love to see OP's reaction at tires that cost nearly half of what that dumpster fire of a full suspension foldable downhill fatbike costs.

Buying tires will require eating a lot more ramen.
    Nah, the tires will probably last longer than the frame.

I actually spent some time examining the pictures of some of those bikes. The rear shocks have really short travel, I imagine the rear travel is only an inch or two, who knows if the shock even takes air. The first link does appear to have been inspired by the Bucksaw, similar color as well. But where some of the Bucksaw's tubes are formed, this one has a thick bent metal plate welded on to the end of the tube. And some of the pivots on these appear to just be small bolts.

But if you give them a good review and five "suns", they'll give you $5 back!
    2005 Jamis Dragon

turtles make me hot
    I just clicked on the link and looked at those things. Jesus, what a steaming pile.

If someone doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a bike, a rigid BD fat bike is the way to go. It's all been said here.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    'Rich' guys arguing about being poor always cracks me up. I grew up on welfare - Couldn't physically get close to a college if I wanted to.

But, I sure do like riding my REAL bucksaw now!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    The scariest part is that they have the supply and money to offer larger numbers of these which means too many people are stupid enough to buy them.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr mumbler
    The sad thing is, for the money, if they kept it really simple, they could build a somewhat decent bike (just a basic rigid) that would be more useable by the purchaser. But I guess there is a bigger market of suckers willing to spend the money for super crap full suspension fat bikes.
    2005 Jamis Dragon

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    The sad thing is, for the money, if they kept it really simple, they could build a somewhat decent bike (just a basic rigid) that would be more useable by the purchaser. But I guess there is a bigger market of suckers willing to spend the money for super crap full suspension fat bikes.
    You could apply this logic to everything in a hyper-consumerist society. I think we have all had to "BUY TWICE" because marketing suckered us into thinking we we had to have something and then capitalisim provided a version we could afford. Hey that is why there is MTBR, a community that obsesses over the relative value of what the industry offers.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My concerns with the Bucksaw lookalike are the quick release hubs, straight steerer steel fork, and no visible bearings in the suspension links.
    It's tough to say but the spacers also look like white delrin on the rear linkages; maybe they are blasted aluminum.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    My concerns with the Bucksaw lookalike are the quick release hubs, straight steerer steel fork, and no visible bearings in the suspension links.
    It's tough to say but the spacers also look like white delrin on the rear linkages; maybe they are blasted aluminum.
    Picky picky

Silly talk like this makes me think people around here want to pay more for something quality that'll actually perform.

Y'know like in the snowfilled forest 15 miles out from the trailhead

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    'Rich' guys arguing about being poor always cracks me up. I grew up on welfare - Couldn't physically get close to a college if I wanted to.

But, I sure do like riding my REAL bucksaw now!
    Reminds me of a comedians line: Your poverty makes me vomit. :P

mtbr mumbler
    Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    I like how they faked the tapered fork with the tapered headtube that goes back to 1-1/8" at the bottom. And that's what I was saying above, the 'bearings" are just bolts.
    2005 Jamis Dragon

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Bolts and nylon spacers just like Walmart full suspensions

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    No reviews on this yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Regarding the get what you pay for way of thinking is not so true in bicycle world. Dealers with motos make about 10%. Bicycle msrp's are 40-50% higher than dealer cost in many cases. That's why you can buy an outgoing model for 2/3 what it was a few months ago. Not so much the case with motos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Come on guys, at least we have a new player in fat suspension forks. Bout time someone gave us a "non-damping" option.