Thread: Yama-jama 20

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Yama-jama 20

https://spawncycles.com/yama-jama-20

I just ordered the above bike. After having such a great experience with the 14 furi it was the next logical step.

mtbr member
    That's a heck of a bike! I drooled over that a bit when I was shopping bikes for my son, but he just lost the training wheels on his 12" bike 3 weekends ago and is showing no signs of prodigal riding ability, so I capped my budget at 1/2 of that.

Very nice machine there, may you and your kid enjoy the trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wow, that's a massive improvement over the Savage 2 for an extra $100. Seems kinda of crazy that they can offer it at that price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    haven't seen much online about this bike - should be amazing. Really hoping they ship this week!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Wow, that's a massive improvement over the Savage 2 for an extra $100. Seems kinda of crazy that they can offer it at that price.
    Totally agree.. The fork alone is *soooo nice* compared to the Spinner Grind on the Savage 2.0.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Any long term reviews of the Yama Jama? For me its either this or the Flow kids bikes out of Truckee.. My daughter is 5, 19 inch inseam, 3'8" tall.. good fit?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you're American, get the Flow. If you're Canadian, get the Spawn

My son has a Flow so I'm biased, and the owner John has been great to deal with. Seems like a great guy who is worth supporting. My son was the same height and inseam when we got his last year and it fit great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I guess ultimately its a question of guessing what your kid will want over the next year against money?

We had no idea at 5 ... but then we'd only just started riding and as it works out our riding has gone nowhere like I expected.

If the kids are already riding and they are riding technical trails or starting DH and that is what the love this looks fantastic but we wouldn't have been in that position t the time we bought his 20er. Jnr's riding decisions seem to have been driven by a set of semi-random events ... most of which I doubt I would predict and would even go the same a second time around...

Knowing everything I know now ... and presuming we did exactly the same again this would be the perfect bike but Murphy's law being what it is I'd probably have bought that and be looking for a kids indoor velodrome bike today

Jnr's current cycling seems largely influenced by events such as meeting another parent/kid and them saying "Oh there's a XC race next weekend - why don't you take part" and before that seeing a load of club riders out on our local trails ... and more lately "There's a kids Enduro race this weekend" that just overlapped with me having booked a trip to the very place.

Looking back he could have just as easily got into something else like velodrome TT's from any one of those events.

If you are lucky enough for money to be no object then that looks like a fine bike... but then less downhill capable of a money no object Lil Shredder but more versatile???

I know one of the kids we meet at a XC race series has a Lil Shredder Prodigy and that's a fantastic downhill 20er... very capable on trails but it's not a XC machine by a long way... so I wonder if buying 2 bikes less than 1/2 the price each wouldn't actually be better ???

That's where we ended up a couple of years on (aged 7) on a 24er anyway.
    Jnr. enjoys his XC races and wants to do more DH and Enduro and trail wise when we go riding he is more into technical Red's into Black... he'll ride XC and blue for race training but he wouldn't choose to do it given the choice on any day... and when we ride to school he quickly learned his XC bike is a lot easier than his FS Enduro Bike

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is this looks like a fantastic bike so long as that is what the kid ends up wanting to do but the niche where this bike excels is probably very narrow...

If I just use racing just as an example... it's hard to see how a 20" hardtail would ever be a benefit over a rigid for XC (on a 20er) just because of the extra weight so even taking that to trail riding the positives and negatives might need to be carefully considered as a only bike.

That's a bit longer than I thought it would be.... for what look like a fantastic bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    Any long term reviews of the Yama Jama? For me its either this or the Flow kids bikes out of Truckee.. My daughter is 5, 19 inch inseam, 3'8" tall.. good fit?
    The Yama Jama 20" is an awesome bike, and a little cheaper than the Flow bikes we compared them to. My daughter is 5, 3'8" as well, and the bike fits her perfectly with room to grow. I am thinking she will be on it for another two years before she needs a 24" wheel.

These bikes cost a lot of money for a kids bike, unless the kid is really into trail riding. Ours started on her sister's hand me down Trek Mt60, but hit the ceiling on what the bike would allow her to do in about two months. In essence, she earned the Yama Jama with her enthusiasm and ability to mountain bike, and was a great investment for us because she has been riding a pedal bike without training wheels since she was two, and on trails at age 3 trying to keep up with big sis. In looking at what it would take to upgrade the Trek to what she needed to do real trails, the Spawn was about the same cost for the upgrades that I wanted to make her Trek a capable trail bike. We have had it for a month, and ridden singletrack almost everyday with her, and have now put in over 150 miles on it so far. If your kid is not really into biking, it is hard to justify the costs of these high end kids bikes, but if your kid is into it, The spawn was a game changer for us and allowed us to go out on real trails with a five year old.

The fork makes the yama jama 20". With the ability to fine tune and adjust the air pressure as well as the rebound, we have been able to set the fork to maximize the travel (rare for a kids fork), while allowing the front tire to track great through rough, root-filled and rocky terrain. The 15mm through axle up front keeps the wheel stiff and helps the bike to track well. It has allowed her to dramatically increase her overall speed and the amount of trail we can ride (about 15 miles of single track now). The carbon fiber dropouts make the bike much lighter and easier to handle than every other kids bike we tested. In essence, this fork is the real deal. We have had no issues running the tires tubeless yet, and the entire drive train is geared right so that the bike can actually climb. The bike is tough - our kids nickname is "crash", and she has had some good ones with the bike coming out unscathed thus far.

For us, we live in the midwest, so we are limited to mostly cross-country style trails for singletrack, but we have some good technical climbs. She used to walk most of them if we even tried them at all, but now she can clear so much that we never thought would be possible, and I don't think we have even come close to how good she could get with this bike as she keeps progressing almost daily. Instead of struggling to finish a climb, she is now singing and smiling at the top, and it really is because of the bike.

Overall summary, the yama jama was well worth the price, but only if your kid really bikes. The older sis didn't really show an interest in real trail riding until she was about 7, and this bike would have been overkill for her when she needed a 20" wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks guys,

Ya I wouldn't be looking into a bike this nice if my daughter wasn't into it, we are in Ashland, OR and she is riding a lot of the singletrack. Really getting the concept of berms, cornering, her balance has always been great. Hoping to run a shuttle with her this year from the top of Mt. A. once she gets her feet under her on her new ride.

It was either this bike or the Flow, components seem great on this one, and it looks a touch bigger. Only consideration with Flow would be the interchangeable wheels, which could benefit my younger daughter who turns 4 next week. Gonna make a call here soon, thanks again for the suggestions!