Thread: Yama-jama 20

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Yama-jama 20

https://spawncycles.com/yama-jama-20

I just ordered the above bike. After having such a great experience with the 14 furi it was the next logical step.

mtbr member
    That's a heck of a bike! I drooled over that a bit when I was shopping bikes for my son, but he just lost the training wheels on his 12" bike 3 weekends ago and is showing no signs of prodigal riding ability, so I capped my budget at 1/2 of that.

Very nice machine there, may you and your kid enjoy the trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wow, that's a massive improvement over the Savage 2 for an extra $100. Seems kinda of crazy that they can offer it at that price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    haven't seen much online about this bike - should be amazing. Really hoping they ship this week!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Wow, that's a massive improvement over the Savage 2 for an extra $100. Seems kinda of crazy that they can offer it at that price.
    Totally agree.. The fork alone is *soooo nice* compared to the Spinner Grind on the Savage 2.0.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Any long term reviews of the Yama Jama? For me its either this or the Flow kids bikes out of Truckee.. My daughter is 5, 19 inch inseam, 3'8" tall.. good fit?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you're American, get the Flow. If you're Canadian, get the Spawn

My son has a Flow so I'm biased, and the owner John has been great to deal with. Seems like a great guy who is worth supporting. My son was the same height and inseam when we got his last year and it fit great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I guess ultimately its a question of guessing what your kid will want over the next year against money?

We had no idea at 5 ... but then we'd only just started riding and as it works out our riding has gone nowhere like I expected.

If the kids are already riding and they are riding technical trails or starting DH and that is what the love this looks fantastic but we wouldn't have been in that position t the time we bought his 20er. Jnr's riding decisions seem to have been driven by a set of semi-random events ... most of which I doubt I would predict and would even go the same a second time around...

Knowing everything I know now ... and presuming we did exactly the same again this would be the perfect bike but Murphy's law being what it is I'd probably have bought that and be looking for a kids indoor velodrome bike today

Jnr's current cycling seems largely influenced by events such as meeting another parent/kid and them saying "Oh there's a XC race next weekend - why don't you take part" and before that seeing a load of club riders out on our local trails ... and more lately "There's a kids Enduro race this weekend" that just overlapped with me having booked a trip to the very place.

Looking back he could have just as easily got into something else like velodrome TT's from any one of those events.

If you are lucky enough for money to be no object then that looks like a fine bike... but then less downhill capable of a money no object Lil Shredder but more versatile???

I know one of the kids we meet at a XC race series has a Lil Shredder Prodigy and that's a fantastic downhill 20er... very capable on trails but it's not a XC machine by a long way... so I wonder if buying 2 bikes less than 1/2 the price each wouldn't actually be better ???

That's where we ended up a couple of years on (aged 7) on a 24er anyway.
    Jnr. enjoys his XC races and wants to do more DH and Enduro and trail wise when we go riding he is more into technical Red's into Black... he'll ride XC and blue for race training but he wouldn't choose to do it given the choice on any day... and when we ride to school he quickly learned his XC bike is a lot easier than his FS Enduro Bike

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is this looks like a fantastic bike so long as that is what the kid ends up wanting to do but the niche where this bike excels is probably very narrow...

If I just use racing just as an example... it's hard to see how a 20" hardtail would ever be a benefit over a rigid for XC (on a 20er) just because of the extra weight so even taking that to trail riding the positives and negatives might need to be carefully considered as a only bike.

That's a bit longer than I thought it would be.... for what look like a fantastic bike