mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. XXSmall 26" base full suspension and/or rigid frames..!?

Is not like price is no object but for sure is not the first concern..

Looking for a high quality frame to build a mountain capable bike for a 10year old little girl..

I found Titus makes a XXS, but that is about it..

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Pivot Mach 5.7 or Mach 5.7 carbon. I've seen the XXS built up with XT components and it was an amazing little bike. Its on my short list for when my son needs a FS 26" bike. Don't think to many will argue that Pivot's DW-Link rear suspension is one of the best designs out there. Pivot's Customer service is top notch as well.
    From Pivot's website:
    "At Pivot, we believe a bike should fit the intended rider not the other way around. We build our XX-Small and X-Small sizes to fit riders from 4’11” to 5’5” and have custom tuned shock valving to match lighter riders. Our smaller sizes are built with shorter head tubes to create greater stand-over heights and we use smaller diameter tubing and a lighter, more compact frame. All of this attention to proper fit further distances Pivot from the competition, so that all Pivot frames provide the same incredible performance for every rider size.

Our approach to rider size-specific geometry on our smallest frames relies on a balanced fit, and adjusted geometry to maintain correct wheelbase lengths and handling to properly accommodate the proportions of a smaller rider. Whether you’re a World Cup XC racer or simply demand a perfect fit and the best products available, you can rest assured there is a Pivot to fit you."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Pivot Mach 5.7 or Mach 5.7 carbon. I've seen the XXS built up with XT components and it was an amazing little bike. Its on my short list for when my son needs a FS 26" bike. Don't think to many will argue that Pivot's DW-Link rear suspension is one of the best designs out there. Pivot's Customer service is top notch as well.
    From Pivot's website:
    "At Pivot, we believe a bike should fit the intended rider not the other way around. We build our XX-Small and X-Small sizes to fit riders from 4’11” to 5’5” and have custom tuned shock valving to match lighter riders. Our smaller sizes are built with shorter head tubes to create greater stand-over heights and we use smaller diameter tubing and a lighter, more compact frame. All of this attention to proper fit further distances Pivot from the competition, so that all Pivot frames provide the same incredible performance for every rider size.

Our approach to rider size-specific geometry on our smallest frames relies on a balanced fit, and adjusted geometry to maintain correct wheelbase lengths and handling to properly accommodate the proportions of a smaller rider. Whether you’re a World Cup XC racer or simply demand a perfect fit and the best products available, you can rest assured there is a Pivot to fit you."

Okay a $5000/$6000 bike for a ten year old is a little much, besides she is going to outgrow it in two or three years..

In any case thank for the input..

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I wouldn't buy a complete bike if money is a concern. Get just the Aluminum frame & build it with used and or cheaper/lightweight parts to save a ton of money. Almost all of these parts could also transfer to her next bike as well. I'll definitely only be buying the frame if I go this route.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I wouldn't buy a complete bike if money is a concern. Get just the Aluminum frame & build it with used and or cheaper/lightweight parts to save a ton of money. Almost all of these parts could also transfer to her next bike as well. I'll definitely only be buying the frame if I go this route.
    Oh I got that, but still $2000 for just the frame, we have most of the parts already except for the shorty cranks, but still a lot of investment for a kiddo that is just learning how to ride..

Ps: When I say "money was no object" is was thinking in reference to the "I don't want to spend more than a $100 on my kiddo bike" postings that restrict the conversation so much..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You will be hard pressed to find anything XXS currently being made as the move to 29" and now 27.5" wheels makes it difficult to build an XXS frame. Is the past, Rocky Mountain made an XXS Element, Yeti made an XXS ASR and Giant made a women's specific XS Anthem that was sized closed to an XXS frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

XXS 26" fs

I built a 13" xs Jamis 650b 5" FS framed bike for my then 8 year old 2 years ago. Its a 1x9 with 11-36 cassette and 34 front ring. I used a bmx 2piece crank set with 155mm arms. It works pretty good but after a dozen rides he has drifted away from biking with his Dad . I used 26" wheels to reduce the stand over. To give some flexibility on tuning for his weight I used a 27.5 compatible x fusion air fork. The bike was nice and cushy for our local trails, geometry was not an issue for the type of riding we do.

Steve

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steve447 View Post
    I It works pretty good but after a dozen rides he has drifted away from biking with his Dad . I used 26" wheels to reduce the stand over.

Steve
    No doubt, get your boy a 24" wheel bike! I'm surprised he lasted a dozen or so rides!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    You will be hard pressed to find anything XXS currently being made as the move to 29" and now 27.5" wheels makes it difficult to build an XXS frame. Is the past, Rocky Mountain made an XXS Element, Yeti made an XXS ASR and Giant made a women's specific XS Anthem that was sized closed to an XXS frame.
    Well the 26" wheels are already plenty big, hell we where even thinking 24" at first, but then again most of the 24" are pretty crappy..

Hopefully we can still find a 26" or a 27.5" and run 26" wheels like that pretty green Jamis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I built a 13" xs Jamis 650b 5" FS framed bike for my then 8 year old 2 years ago. Its a 1x9 with 11-36 cassette and 34 front ring. I used a bmx 2piece crank set with 155mm arms. It works pretty good but after a dozen rides he has drifted away from biking with his Dad . I used 26" wheels to reduce the stand over. To give some flexibility on tuning for his weight I used a 27.5 compatible x fusion air fork. The bike was nice and cushy for our local trails, geometry was not an issue for the type of riding we do.

Steve
    Steve that is just a cool little bike, thanks for the inspiration..

Yeah sure it look "Disproportionate" with the handlebars so high and the saddle so low but is not like you can do much better unless you go to much smaller wheels..

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    He raced on 2 or 3 different 24" bikes and also raced BMX. The 26" wheels really helped him with rolling over roots etc. he could jump it just as well as his smaller bikes. Having access to my 26er parts really helped with proper tunable suspension shifters and tires. If he decides to come back out in the woods we have plenty of choices for him but he has other interests for now. The picture show the seat slammed for one of his friends to try.

mtbr member

XXSmall 26" base full suspension and/or rigid frames..!?

I picked up a second hand xs Spec Era Comp for my 10 yo daughter. It's a women's specific HT about 4 years old.

Frame seems high quality and pretty light. Has nice low stand over.

Decent mid-range SRAM running gear, 100mm fox float and overall bike is somewhere around 11kg.

Paid $600 or so which is a lot for a bike for a kid, but feel like it was decent value.

Most importantly, she's loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    was able to find a xxs Giant Revel frame on ebay 12.5", got it brand new shipped for $90, it is an alum hard tail. I'm Building it up right now for my 8.5yo with Sram xx brakes, fox float fork, and some sweet dt swiss 240's on xr400 wheels. He has a 24" Scott Scale jr right now that he shreds to pieces so when he is ready he will move to this 26er. Super fun to build. I found some 170 cranks but I think I might try the shorter BMX crank idea.

mtbr member
    12.5" - 13.5" frames seem to be harder and harder to find these days. I am a firm believer that hardtail is the way to go for a kid. It helps them develop better handling skills from the start. My most recent XXS frame build was for my daughter and it was a Ghost SE9000 from CRC. I also put short cranks on kids bikes. 145mm for my son's bike and 140mm for my daughter's and run 1x10 setups.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfish View Post
    was able to find a xxs Giant Revel frame on ebay 12.5", got it brand new shipped for $90, it is an alum hard tail. I'm Building it up right now for my 8.5yo with Sram xx brakes, fox float fork, and some sweet dt swiss 240's on xr400 wheels. He has a 24" Scott Scale jr right now that he shreds to pieces so when he is ready he will move to this 26er. Super fun to build. I found some 170 cranks but I think I might try the shorter BMX crank idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    12.5" - 13.5" frames seem to be harder and harder to find these days. I am a firm believer that hardtail is the way to go for a kid. It helps them develop better handling skills from the start. My most recent XXS frame build was for my daughter and it was a Ghost SE9000 from CRC. I also put short cranks on kids bikes. 145mm for my son's bike and 140mm for my daughter's and run 1x10 setups.
    I ask this question for a friend (my little one is only 2)

He end up getting a 13" rockhopper hardtail for the same reason stated above, we are going to upgrade the brakes for really short reach, machine the cranks to 160mm (175mm and helicoil the pedals bores) and teach her how to ride before upgrading to a full suspension in a few years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I ask this question for a friend (my little one is only 2)

He end up getting a 13" rockhopper hardtail for the same reason stated above, we are going to upgrade the brakes for really short reach, machine the cranks to 160mm (175mm and helicoil the pedals bores) and teach her how to ride before upgrading to a full suspension in a few years.
    Yeah I think that is great. I think a few points I would add from someone that has built 3 of these type setups. Adjust brake throw is a must like you mentioned. An air fork that you can run a low pressure in is also a must. I have used Fox floats on each of the ones I have built. I have been very happy with a 1x10 set up with a paul's chain keeper. I run Sinz cranks on two of the frames and the other has a cut down machined Sram crank because it was the only way to adapt a short crank to a bb92 but that just tells you how important I think the short cranks are to the ridability of the bike for a kid. I'm 6'4" and ride a 175mm crank to me a 160mm is still too long and will make the kid rock back and forth in the saddle. A 32 tooth front chainring is great for most kids. I run shorty jump bike stems 40mm and turn them upside down.

My son ripping his 26" orbea

XXSmall 26" base full suspension and/or rigid frames..!?-964704_10151670658326895_219507558_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    Yeah I think that is great. I think a few points I would add from someone that has built 3 of these type setups. Adjust brake throw is a must like you mentioned. An air fork that you can run a low pressure in is also a must. I have used Fox floats on each of the ones I have built. I have been very happy with a 1x10 set up with a paul's chain keeper. I run Sinz cranks on two of the frames and the other has a cut down machined Sram crank because it was the only way to adapt a short crank to a bb92 but that just tells you how important I think the short cranks are to the ridability of the bike for a kid. I'm 6'4" and ride a 175mm crank to me a 160mm is still too long and will make the kid rock back and forth in the saddle. A 32 tooth front chainring is great for most kids. I run shorty jump bike stems 40mm and turn them upside down.

My son ripping his 26" orbea

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	964704_10151670658326895_219507558_o.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	858711
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, yes we are getting a "air fork" for it, also she will be running 2x9 since they ride in really step terrain (anandale, santa rosa)

Again thanks for sharing what you have learn and congratulate your kiddo on his riding skills.

mtbr member
    What brand 145mm cranks and sprocket size did you use?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfish View Post
    What brand 145mm cranks and sprocket size did you use?
    I use Sinz cranks in either square taper or ISIS BB with a 32 tooth chainring and a Pual's Components Chain keeper in place of a front derailleur

mtbr member
    I found some cranks and the pauls chain keeper, but what length bottom bracket should I use. I see 108mm all the way up to 118mm? The shell on his bike is 73mm and I am running 9 speed drivetrain?

how about this BB?
    RaceFace SRX 68 73 x 113mm Isis Bottom Bracket Mountain Bike MTB Use | eBay

and these cranks?
    Sinz Expert Isis Crank Arms 140mm 110 BCD New | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    No doubt, get your boy a 24" wheel bike! I'm surprised he lasted a dozen or so rides!
    This is the point I keep trying to make. I can't image that was a fun bike to ride. Get the right fit, and a child will enjoy riding much more. Try to skip a wheel size like 24 and you may turn them off.
    Granted this depends on the kids, but given the seat height compared to the bars, that bike wasn't even close to fitting.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you really want a 26inch wheel bike, there is this frame as an option diSSent ALC KD Junior 26er Frame - PSYCLESTORE
    Not cheap. If you're interested I'd try to bargain with the guy, pretty sure I saw these on sale for around $500 earlier.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    sweet frame .

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Islabikes Creig 26 ? lightweight hardtail mountain bike for kids aged 9+

A decent 24 pound option- my kid (8) has the Luath 26.

Another one to look for if you can find one is the older specialized era comp hardtail. they came in a 13.5 inch frame with a fox fork. These are a sweet find if you get lucky. I was lucky and I feel fortunate. Most 9 year olds can ride the era comp.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Last fall we almost got a 24" bike for my daughter (she was using a well used 24" Trek at the time) However we found a Specialized Hardrock 13" frame and went for it. Glad we did. If we went the 24" path we would be king again. IMO, HT is the way to go for kids.